CONCUSSIONS??????????????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

CONCUSSIONS??????????????

Are the NHL players getting too strong too fast for there own good? What are the #s compared to say 10,20,30,years ago? Its hard to hear about all these quality players going down for the count.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: CONCUSSIONS??????????????

The players in all sports are in much better shape on the average.  Hockey has rules in place. The concussion rule this year was an unwritten rule in the days long gone.  Also, the net affect of goonery was to protect the Gretzkys and Orrs. The game today is evolving.  I have no real issue with the changes.  I just wish the officiating would evolve too.  IMO each game needs to be reviewed with fines and suspensions to fit the new style of play, ie. charging and boarding non calls should still be disciplined.  I also believe two on ice officials is a waste of time, it really does not improve the play, and some cases causes confusion on how the calls will be made depending on the officiating tandem.  Use 21st century technology!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Oshie's hit on Krejci that resulted in a concussion was completely clean.

No whining allowed, now !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

In Response to Re: CONCUSSIONS??????????????:
    [QUOTE]I made a plea for less blindsided hits to the head recently on these Boston Globe threads, and was scorned by several Bruin fans insisting that in the "good ole" days players "got their bell rung" and got back in the play ! I now leave you to your whining, gents. 
    Posted by RMiller87[/Q   

"Back in the day", the players were not as strong as they are today.How often did those guys hit the weight room?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

hockey-101 :

You are right on.

Players are now much bigger, stronger and the amount of room on the ice in the NHL hasn't increased.  The NHL's enforcement on head shots is still a joke.

It's just a matter of time before someone really gets hurt (or even dies) out there.

But that's not on my head anymore.

It's on the head of the Bruin fan who wants to return to the "good ole days."

You'll have to talk to that guy because I'm out, frankly !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

[QUOTE] You'll have to talk to that guy because I'm out, frankly !
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

No you arent. You said you were, but you came back anyway you lame asz

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

[QUOTE]hockey-101 : You are right on. Players are now much bigger, stronger and the amount of room on the ice in the NHL hasn't increased.  The NHL's enforcement on head shots is still a joke. It's just a matter of time before someone really gets hurt (or even dies) out there. But that's not on my head anymore. It's on the head of the Bruin fan who wants to return to the "good ole days." You'll have to talk to that guy because I'm out, frankly !

Many players agree

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbankAK. Show FairbankAK's posts

[QUOTE]Oshie's hit on Krejci that resulted in a concussion was completely clean. No whining allowed, now !

i haven't posted much but been reading the posts.  you are a new generation of trolls, while you do talk hockey you come here to disturb the other posters,  you even disturb posters that are fans of another team. you're just a big waste ! but i see where you're going with this statement , no whining allowed now ! it's just the way you troll these boards teasing and maybe get off on this, you're disgusting.  maybe you should buy a magazine.
    nobody is whining and everyone including Chiarelli is saying it was a clean hit.
    i know you're extra happy on the injury, being a habs fan but don't you worry, the habs will love thursday night in boston . 100%

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbankAK. Show FairbankAK's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CONCUSSIONS?????????????? : No you arent. You said you were, but you came back anyway you lame asz
    Posted by mikzor[/QUOTE]

no use my good man.  he will not leave this board, not true to his word then again this is a forum, who cares, not reality therefore just read along and laugh at the dumbie fool.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77Fan. Show 77Fan's posts

I think it comes down to equipment. As the players/game evolves, so must the equipment. After Paul Kariya received his concussion, he came back with a helmet that had a lot more padding. Perhaps that type of helmet must be manditory. Also the shoulder pads are like Knights armour of old, find a way to reduce the shock they deliver, yet protect the players shoulder. I know a lot of companies are tediously working on these issues, but maybe the next time the GM's sit down, it needs to be the forefront discussion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I agree with the equipment issue. Id like them to prove that soft elbow/shoulder pads dont lead to more Shoulder/Injury issues but do lead to Many more Concussions and other injuries.

Id love to post a pic of the Elbow Pads I bought Junior year of higschool they have a huge plastic bump that I would use purely as a weapon and I dont think it provided much more protection. I think soft elbow and shoulder pads would help alot instead of players having hard plastic armor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Some interesting discussion about it from Chiarelli in today's Globe article:

“We talk about why there have been more concussions,’’ Chiarelli said. “One, there’s obviously the bigger, stronger, faster element. But two, there’s the fact there’s less obstruction. It’s a faster game. That’s going to be part of it, too.

“Who knows in that instance if somebody would have held up Oshie or held up Krech so they didn’t come to that point? You just have to deal with it and deal with it properly. Unfortunately we’re getting a lot of experience dealing with it.’’

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I was asking this question myself,  every big hit is now a concussion ?
    Sure there's the equipment but the speed of the game is the main reason. 
    In the old days they would say "He got his bell rung "
    The ringing was a concussion and sometimes would ring for days or even weeks. These mild concussions players would play through them.
    I heard many coaches , players and experts saying this but I'm not completely sold on this theory . 
    It's becoming a serious issue and in the NFL also. It just seems the brain gets scrambled to easily . The Thornton hit didn't look that bad as the hit Krejci absorbed yet Perron was out a couple games now.  
    Besides putting some padding on the shoulder and elbow pads it'll not slow the pace of the game.  That impact at this speed is what is causing the concussion.
    Krejci is the proof of that ,  add that he was trying to hit him also.  It wasn't Oshie's gear but the impact of the speed they were going at that caused the impact hitting boards and ice.
    They say wearing the mouth piece is supposed to help ?  Anybody know if this has been proven ?
    If so maybe start making mouth pieces manditory ?  The ones that stay in p[lace that is not the chewable ones a la Patrick Kane.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]I was asking this question myself,  every big hit is now a concussion ? Sure there's the equipment but the speed of the game is the main reason.  In the old days they would say "He got his bell rung " The ringing was a concussion and sometimes would ring for days or even weeks. These mild concussions players would play through them. I heard many coaches , players and experts saying this but I'm not completely sold on this theory .  It's becoming a serious issue and in the NFL also. It just seems the brain gets scrambled to easily . The Thornton hit didn't look that bad as the hit Krejci absorbed yet Perron was out a couple games now.   Besides putting some padding on the shoulder and elbow pads it'll not slow the pace of the game.  That impact at this speed is what is causing the concussion. Krejci is the proof of that ,  add that he was trying to hit him also.  It wasn't Oshie's gear but the impact of the speed they were going at that caused the impact hitting boards and ice. They say wearing the mouth piece is supposed to help ?  Anybody know if this has been proven ? If so maybe start making mouth pieces manditory ?  The ones that stay in p[lace that is not the chewable ones a la Patrick Kane.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I don't think the mouthpiece theory has been proven, per se, but there's been a lot of talk about it.

http://www.mahercorlabs.com/news/article-20090831.htm

FWIW, Wheeler tweeted last year about he and Chara being fitted for anti-concussion moutpieces, and I don't think they're the only Bruins that wear them. I do know that Krejci doesn't wear a mouthguard at all, and I wish he would. Every hockey player should wear mouthguards and visors, IMHO.

As for concussion, better diagnosing and taking the injury more seriously has definitely been a factor in the increase of players missing time, at every level. When I was in high school, I suffered a concussion (got hit in the head with a field hockey stick) and despite a brief loss of consciousness, I didn't miss a practice, let alone a game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I think that another part of the problem is the feeling of invincibility that the players get from their suits of armor.  Helmets, face shields, and pads that amount to body armor make players play with more reckless abandon.  Before the era of helmets, a player would never think of turning his back on an onrushing opponent to protect the puck along the boards, because he knew that he was going to be hurt badly if he got his head driven into the boards.  Now a player thinks that his helmet will protect him, and he is usually right. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Concussions are now being taken SERIOUSLY!  Thats the only problem.  Used to be, when you got your bell rung, thats all it was, getting your bell rung.  Now everyone knows thats a concussion. 

I posted this in another thread just a minute ago, but Ill say it again:  Its like saying broken bone.  Is it the tip of your pinkie finger or your back or neck?  Big difference.  Concussions are the same.  Ive had a few and I still suffer from the last major one I had.  I will for the rest of my life and Im only 34.  I played some seriously competitve football, hockey and lacrosse in high school.  I played lacrosse and hockey in college, full scholarship to play hockey.  Ive seen many concussions go undiagnosed thinking back on it now.  It was called getting your bell rung.

Today, every possible precautionary measure is taken to insure that player isnt going to be messed up for life.  Its a GOOD thing.  However, these are still contact sports and until they arent, people are going to get injured.  Broken bones, concussions and paralysis will still happen.  The NFL taking out helmet to helmet hits is good.  NHL taking shoulder to head hits out is good.  BUT, when you have guys like Chara who can legally hit guys like Briere, there is going to be a gray area.  A solid body check might result in a head shot.  They got it WRONG with Thornton and this will be the problem.  Theyll say erring on the side of safety is best and it is, but its GOT to be gotten right or we mine as well take hitting out of the game all together.

I see TONS of people complaining about fighting on this site.  Im ALL for it.  I think its great the league allows guys to fight the way they do.  I think it should be a 2 minute penalty like it used to be with a 5 minute for an instigator.  It keeps guys clean and honest, and in a sport as physical and fast as hockey, differences are going to occur.  Let them sort it out.

As for the pads, THAT is a HUGE problem I think.  The pads now are huge, plastic, armor-like pads that really do most of the damage.  Guys feel like super-heros on both sides because of the pads.  Youll give and take a bigger hit thinking theyll protect you.

Don Cherry recently addressed this on HNIC and he had some new pads that were like the old ones:  Heavy cotton with some pillow stuffing in them (thats what they looked like).  If the leage went with them, I think that would stop a lot of this too.  I also think the helmets could be better padded.  Id HATE to see full cages like at the college level, but I wouldnt mind seeing something other than the 1 inch of foam they use now.

Take some of the pads away, make the helmets better and do away with composite sticks that shoot the puck 100mph and I think that would actually protect the players a lot more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CONCUSSIONS?????????????? : I don't think the mouthpiece theory has been proven, per se, but there's been a lot of talk about it. http://www.mahercorlabs.com/news/article-20090831.htm FWIW, Wheeler tweeted last year about he and Chara being fitted for anti-concussion moutpieces, and I don't think they're the only Bruins that wear them. I do know that Krejci doesn't wear a mouthguard at all, and I wish he would. Every hockey player should wear mouthguards and visors, IMHO.   As for concussion, better diagnosing and taking the injury more seriously has definitely been a factor in the increase of players missing time, at every level. When I was in high school, I suffered a concussion (got hit in the head with a field hockey stick) and despite a brief loss of consciousness, I didn't miss a practice, let alone a game.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

I read up a little in the past weeks concerning concussions with children playing sports and yes many didn't know they had concussions and their parents still allowed to go practice the sport. One parent said " He ate his breakfast like a champ there's nothing wrong with him.  Let's go play !"

Today there's a GM meeting taking place and supposedly Wilson (Sharks) was complaining that Perron faked it after he got hit by JT as he also scored a goal. Funny Mr. Wilson,  the effect of his concussion only started to show up Saturday morning in Boston and since has missed 2 games. Here's a GM that wants to play DR and judge at the same time when knows nothing on the effects and after effects of concussions.
    Wilson was one that signed off on this new rule on head shots but now because one of his players got suspended he's contradicting his view on head shots. It's a joke with some of these GM's .  Look at the NFL ,  they put their foot down and made a "clear rule "  No helmet to helmet hitting is allowed. That's all !  In the NHL it's never clear ! 
    Anyhow Krejci - Oshie collision has nothing dirty , nor any intention to head hunt,  it was just bad luck and I think it was more the impact with boards or ice that caused Krejci's concussion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I was asking this question myself,  every big hit is now a concussion ? Sure there's the equipment but the speed of the game is the main reason.  In the old days they would say "He got his bell rung " The ringing was a concussion and sometimes would ring for days or even weeks. These mild concussions players would play through them. I heard many coaches , players and experts saying this but I'm not completely sold on this theory .  It's becoming a serious issue and in the NFL also. It just seems the brain gets scrambled to easily . The Thornton hit didn't look that bad as the hit Krejci absorbed yet Perron was out a couple games now.   Besides putting some padding on the shoulder and elbow pads it'll not slow the pace of the game.  That impact at this speed is what is causing the concussion. Krejci is the proof of that ,  add that he was trying to hit him also.  It wasn't Oshie's gear but the impact of the speed they were going at that caused the impact hitting boards and ice. They say wearing the mouth piece is supposed to help ?  Anybody know if this has been proven ? If so maybe start making mouth pieces manditory ?  The ones that stay in p[lace that is not the chewable ones a la Patrick Kane.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Post lockout, Dr. Bill Blair, the chief dentist for the NHL did a study of 700 players as to whether or not mouthguards reduce concussion rates. His results were inconclusive.
    Since then some nuerolologists have said there's no correlation.This is from the British Journal of Sports Medicine:
    "Although the use of correctly fitting mouthguards can reduce the rate of den- tal, orofacial, and mandibular injuries, the evidence that they reduce cerebral injuries is largely theoretical, and no clinical evidence for a beneficial effect in reducing concussion rates has yet to be conclusively proven"

However Blair contends further study has to be done, and I quote:

" “We are just learning an awful lot about concussion right now. In fact the NHL, I would say, is at the pinnacle of the knowledge that has been gained through concussion research. They have done a great deal of research over the last 10 years; they have a great deal of information.”

So basically, at this point, nothing has been conclusively proven or disproven. Though there are no studies that point to mouthguards INCREASING concussion rates, so what would the harm be?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

FWIW, clarifying the head shot rule is at the top of the agenda at the GM meetings this week. As with any other new rule, it takes a while to sort out what is and what isn't proper. There will be more trial and error before it's all figured out, IMHO. What's important is that there IS a rule in place, and they can go from there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Im no doctor, but heres my 2 cents on concussions/mouthpieces.  Its harder to get a concussion from a front impact than from the side.  Your brain can take a lot more front to back movement before getting a concussion.  Shake your head vigorously yes, then no, and pay attention to how your brain feels.  things like getting hit on the forehead or giving a head butt, dont do nearly as much to your brain as getting hit in the side, or spinning your head. 
    IF you get hit hard in the side of the jaw, if your jaw isnt locked in to your mouth, it will go out to the side and pull your head with it, spinning it. this sort of thing is much more dangerous to your brain.  In boxing/mma, hitting someone square to the side of the jaw is one of the best ways to knock someone out.  one things fighters do is to breathe through the nose, so that their mouth isnt open.  they specifically train to increase lung capacity so that they can go as long as possible before having to start breathing through their mouth.  once the mouth is open, they know they are ripe for a knockout.
    The mouthpiece serves to keep your jaw locked in to your head, so that your jaw is less likely to separate and twist your head when you get hit there.  so yeah, I would say mouthpieces do help reduce concussions, even if it isnt much of an effect.