Conditional Pick for Sturm

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Conditional Pick for Sturm

They practically gave him away.

So if sturm passes the physical, and plays... what could he be worth? if the kings finish top of their division, how high of a pick can we get/?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=343821

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Conditional Pick for Sturm

In Response to Conditional Pick for Sturm:
    [QUOTE]They practically gave him away. So if sturm passes the physical, and plays... what could he be worth? if the kings finish top of their division, how high of a pick can we get/?
    Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]
    The condition will likely be in regards to whether or not Sturm re-signs in LA.If he does,maybe as high as a 2nd rounder.If not,probably a 4th or 5th(I'm only guessing on this one so don't hold me to it).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

From what I hear, the conditions of the draft pick are based on how many games he plays and his production, not whether or not he re-signs.  It could range from a 2nd round pick to a 5th round pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nope, like Sturms play completely.  He had a solid career without injury up to last year.  His contract was in line with his production.  The problem is two knee surgeries is the future of his play is questionable.  Did the Bs get value?  Directly, no.  Sturm could go onto scoring 30 some odd goals and drive the defense backwards with his speed.  On the other hand he could be an absolute dud.  The cap issue resolved the argument... he was marketable and Ryder was not.  I think Sturm will still go on to be a very productive player.  The Bs will get a 2nd rounder in my view with that scenario.  Ryder meanwhile is not in Providence wasting space and JJ's precious money.  Kudos for PC for recognizing that simple set of circumstances.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Conditional Pick for Sturm:
    [QUOTE]From what I hear, the conditions of the draft pick are based on how many games he plays and his production, not whether or not he re-signs.  It could range from a 2nd round pick to a 5th round pick.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]
    As I said it was only a guess.Most often the condition is in regards to games played(re-signing adds to that)rather than points but I could see either  being true.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Marco could go on to score his usual 20-30 goals a year or he could be the next Andrei Markov .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This one is tough to evaluate, and the conditional pick is almost irrelevant.

One the downside, the team will miss Sturm’s speed.  He seems like the perfect compliment to the good passing centers and big power forwards that would undoubtedly play on a line with him.  It’s a shame we will never see that pan out.  He was a good playoff performer, a good penalty killer, and always played hard and accountable hockey.  Also sad to give away the last vestige of the Joe Thornton trade for practically nothing. On the upside, who knows what you are getting with an oft-injured veteran coming back from a horrible knee injury?  Let LA take the risk on that salary.  I think Chiarelli waited until the last possible minute to make a move in order to evaluate exactly what he had and what he needed.  The PK is in very good shape.  Seguin offers the same speed Sturm had.  Horton offers the goal-scoring.  Aside from Ryder, who is playing pretty well, Sturm offered the most bang for the buck in terms of salary dumping.  The team can now get Savard back without any further moves.  Wheeler could still be dealt for a defensemen and the cap situation would now allow for trade deadline deals if needed. Personally, I think this is another well-played hand for Chiarelli although I will miss Sturm.  He has gotten them cap-compliant without a major disruption and he bought himself the time to make a thorough evaluation of the team when other GMs may have panicked and sent Thomas/Savard packing in the summer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

maybe chiarelli will send you some kleenex.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

like your style Fletch.  Well said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neely07708. Show Neely07708's posts

Good luck Sturm!  His goal celebrations and clutch scoring will be missed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

Trade hasn't happened yet.