Cue the Bugle Corps: The end of Fighting is Near

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Cue the Bugle Corps: The end of Fighting is Near

I think as the season moves along, there will be fewer and fewer fights due to the rule changes.  Next year, we can basically kiss it good bye.  It's a bad thing when players won't be able to release their frustrations with a good bout.  Welcome to the new NHL.  What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Cue the Bugle Corps: The end of Fighting is Near

Two goons fighting for no reason is stupid.  If thats what you look forward to in hockey, dont watch it. I suggest boxing or the UFC.

Id much rather have a player with some talent take up the "slotted team goon" spot.

Having said that I LOVE a good hockey fight with meaning and emotion.

If there are fewer fights this season due to the rule changes, so be it.

I dont think the NHL will ever ban fighting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Next Year ?? Highly unlikely.

Talking about the John Scott incident & fighting. There will be huge resistence from the owners, and believe it or not the NHLPA to make any changes.

Gary Bettman (it needs to evolve)

Watch the interview with Bettman, you guys can think what you want, but it certainly doesn't sound like it's going away anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPG1IgRWLA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

I believe they gotta blow off some steam every so often. I never really cared for the 'enforcer role' or the staged fights. If you don't like what the other guy did, get his number and take it up with him on the next shift. I don't care if St. Louis has to go give Chara a whack in the head (if he can reach) he ought to do it himself...he'll take a lot of lumps, no doubt, but it'll get done and over by the two what need to do it. There is a place for a fight in the game, but there is no place for a goon who is there for that purpose alone.
    That's my story and I'll stick to it. I have a long history and a lot of lumps on my skull from fighting guys bigger than me (I'm not very smart that way). But I always took care of them by myself.

I think you're right about there will be fewer fights due to the rule changes (helmets off, etc.) but I think the fewer staged fights the better and less 'goonery' is a good thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There is no need for fighting in hockey.  In many leagues, there is none.  Fighting in the NHL has become a shadow of itself for the most part.

If they eliminated it, I wouldn't mind.

I hope they don't, because outside of the clown stuff, I love it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Okay, we all know the new helmet rule, where it seems the only result is either the combatants removing each other's helmets, or agreeing to both take the penalty (saw that last night).

What other rule changes affect fighting?

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

fighting sells tickets in non hockey markets.

Look at the Panthers for example, do they even have a single fan who understands hockey?

Fighting will be around for a while yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't know.  The injury to Parros last night was a downer and it kind of put a damper on an otherwise very exciting game, but it wasn't even the result of a punch.  Injuries are going to happen sometimes.  That said, I would be fine with an end to those types of fights.  A goon battle between two guys that aren't good enough to be on the team except to serve as a designated fighter.  So unnecessary.

Like most everyone else, I like fighting when it is real and is the consequence of competition and emotion being so high that it simply boils over.  I hate the staged fights.  

What's worse, is that the goons know they have to fight to stay employed and relevant.  If Parros only has 6 fights all year, then the team is forced to wonder 'is he really worth a roster spot?'  No.  So he has to try to find more fights, not for his team or the fans so much, but for his own self-preservation in the league.  Orr and Thornton and Shelley are all the same way.  So these guys oblige each other and agree to engage in staged, unnecessary fights just to justify their own existence.  I hope the day is coming where this gets squeezed out of the game.

But real fights, with real emotion, and real risk, are still a part of what makes the NHL great.  It is a game of skill blended with toughness and confrontation.  Most of the critics don't like hockey much anyhow.  No need to please them.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I hate fighting because 90% of it is goon on goon crime, but willing to admit there are some games when the Bruins are sleepwalking and a couple good fights does seem to wake them up and inspire better play. I don't think it should be completely eliminated, but I'd certainly be in favor or suspending anyone for a staged fight. Also want to see the end of the instigator rule.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I'm not talking about the clown stuff.  I'm talking about a good hockey fight born of emotion. Like it or not, it's going away.  The league won't officially ban fighting, but they are going to make it virtually impossible for players to do it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As everyone states, eliminate the goons, but allow spontaneous fights as part of hockey. I've always felt that elimination in minor hockey was only because the league "management" had no idea how to control it. training and providing younger officials [i.e. Bantams for peewees] is a better solution and improves the knowledge of those selected to be junior officials.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Parros face plant was ugly, reminded me of Kevin Stevens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

I'm not talking about the clown stuff.  I'm talking about a good hockey fight born of emotion. Like it or not, it's going away.  The league won't officially ban fighting, but they are going to make it virtually impossible for players to do it.

How so?

The helmet rule, as silly as it may seem, is put there to protect players' heads literally.

What else is the NHL doing to take fighting away?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

fighting sells tickets in non hockey markets.

Look at the Panthers for example, do they even have a single fan who understands hockey?

Fighting will be around for a while yet.

The argument can also be made that fighting is keeping people away from the game in non hockey markets.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

[QUOTE]

How so?

The helmet rule, as silly as it may seem, is put there to protect players' heads literally.

What else is the NHL doing to take fighting away?

[/QUOTE]

The helmet rule and the visor rule is going to make it look absolutely foolish for 2 players to have a sincere, honest to goodness "I hate your guts" type of fight.  The fights of tomorrow will look worse than the staged ones we see today.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I disagree completely.

If two players are caught up in the heat of the moment and have the emotion behind it and wanna fight they wont care about a few extra penalty minutes added on to a fight.

I would be absolutely shocked if the NHL took drastic steps to end fighting at all (helmet rule aside-there is a tiny concussion problem in the NHL), let alone in the next few years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

I disagree completely.

If two players are caught up in the heat of the moment and have the emotion behind it and wanna fight they wont care about a few extra penalty minutes added on to a fight.

I would be absolutely shocked if the NHL took drastic steps to end fighting at all (helmet rule aside-there is a tiny concussion problem in the NHL), let alone in the next few years.

Bettman answers the question in the interview above .........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

[QUOTE]

I disagree completely.

Bettman answers the question in the interview above .........

[/QUOTE]
     Jay-thanks for the link, I didnt see your original post.

And you are right in your initial post, Bettman at least makes it sound like it aint going anywhere anytime soon.

Sky=not falling.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

if the nhlpa doesn't have any problem with fighting i don't see why the media and the fans do....

although i fear that he gets injured, i love seeing the Looch drop his mitts as much as scoring a goal....  maybe more....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I played in a league with no fighting.  The same league pj stock made reference to last night.  He said every player turns into a tough guy and the stick work is brutal.   Your stars in the league will be tortured.  Its not goons that go after the crosbys, sedins etc.  its the rats like marchand, cooke, torres and so on that need to be kept in line.   What marchand did to the sedins is exactly what will happen on a nightly basis. 

Staged fights between goons are easy to eliminate.  Its obvious to the entire world.  Solution.  When orr and parros come on the ice you let them have their fight.  You then chuck them outta the game.  flag it as a staged fight and the next fight they are suspended.  

Im all in favor of getting rid of the scotts, st, parros, orr etc.  they are useless hockey players.  Get rid of the staged clownery. 

taking the protection side of the game out will make the nhl a bush league.  I dont like the staged fights, the tap on the bum and off you go.   I do like heat of the moment angry fights.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I played in a league with no fighting.  The same league pj stock made reference to last night.  He said every player turns into a tough guy and the stick work is brutal.   Your stars in the league will be tortured.  Its not goons that go after the crosbys, sedins etc.  its the rats like marchand, cooke, torres and so on that need to be kept in line.   What marchand did to the sedins is exactly what will happen on a nightly basis. 

Staged fights between goons are easy to eliminate.  Its obvious to the entire world.  Solution.  When orr and parros come on the ice you let them have their fight.  You then chuck them outta the game.  flag it as a staged fight and the next fight they are suspended.  

Im all in favor of getting rid of the scotts, st, parros, orr etc.  they are useless hockey players.  Get rid of the staged clownery. 

taking the protection side of the game out will make the nhl a bush league.  I dont like the staged fights, the tap on the bum and off you go.   I do like heat of the moment angry fights.  

Nail+Head.  You take fighting out the game and watch the injuries as a result of stickwork.  Hell, just watch the increase in stickwork overall.  Everyone will be running around not being held accountable for their actions...........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I disagree completely.

We'll have to wait and see how it goes this season.  My guess is that players are going to do too much dancing at the beginning of a fight waiting for their opponent to take off his helmet that the linesman will be able to easily jump between them before it gets going.

And then there will always be the rats trying to draw a PP by starting  to engage and then backing off when their opponent takes off his helmet.

It's really turning into a joke IMO. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Parros face plant was ugly, reminded me of Kevin Stevens.

I know first thing I though of. Ugly, Ugly thing to watch.

Will there ever be a match-penalty, throw the two combatants out of the game after a fight ?

Would the NHLPA allow such a rule ?

No and No it won't happen.

I really think that the extra two minutes, for taking your helmet off, in the box will help curb fighting and there will be less and less. No one wants to be in the penalty box that long unless your a goon, cause they have nothing better to do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]Parros face plant was ugly, reminded me of Kevin Stevens.

Will there ever be a match-penalty, throw the two combatants out of the game after a fight ?

I really think that the extra two minutes, for taking your helmet off, in the box will help curb fighting and there will be less and less. No one wants to be in the penalty box that long unless your a goon, cause they have nothing better to do.

[/QUOTE]

San, i dont think it will.  The preseason and first game is a sign of things to come.  It appears as though fighting is up.  It was a pretty crazy preseason. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE]Parros face plant was ugly, reminded me of Kevin Stevens.

[/QUOTE]

Yes just like the Moen and Fraser fight last. so as long as they take off their helmets off at the same time there's no extra 2 mins for anyone. 

I also think the league should figure out what a staged fight is and crack down at it. Although Parros was protecting Subban , Subban face washed and Orr wanted to get at him .  That's how that fight started. Not really staged or was it ? We all knew Parros and Orr would fight sooner or later and especially when Orr popped PatchedAlready's (Paccioretty) shoulder.