defending stanley cup champions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

defending stanley cup champions?

i once got into a fist fight with my brother over the use of this term (we are a rough and tumble bunch + lots of beer)- defending. it has no place being used in this context. i know it's merely semantics, but it's true. the bruins will not lose the cup with a loss on thursday. that would be defending the cup. a boxer defends his title, because if he loses, he loses the title. there is a big difference here, not to be overlooked. the bruins are the 2010-11 stanley cup champs, let's hope they become the 2011-12 champs!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: defending stanley cup champions?

In Response to defending stanley cup champions?:
    [QUOTE]i once got into a fist fight with my brother over the use of this term (we are a rough and tumble bunch + lots of beer)- defending. it has no place being used in this context. i know it's merely semantics, but it's true. the bruins will not lose the cup with a loss on thursday. that would be defending the cup. a boxer defends his title, because if he loses, he loses the title. there is a big difference here, not to be overlooked. the bruins are the 2010-11 stanley cup champs, let's hope they become the 2011-12 champs!
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    Semantics. As long as Boston makes the playoffs they will be set to defend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

It's a long season. PC has built a team along the lines of a "depth" concept built with the intentions to go a long way in the playoffs.  Can anyone really match the depth of our 4 lines?  Espcailly in a long play-off series?  Ask the Canucks.  I know playoffs are a long ways out but I truly believe we can repeat and at this stage no one yet has our 4 line depth to compare with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Lashoff is on waivers could take over  8th 9th def, on the depth" concept 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Depth isn't tested until you have significant injuries.  It's a bit early to talk about a team's depth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

Let's go B's!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]Depth isn't tested until you have significant injuries.  It's a bit early to talk about a team's depth.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Last year was a relatively healthy year, granted... but I can't think of too many clubs that have suffered the rash of (head) injuries to key players like the Bruins have in recent years. And we still won the Cup without a first line winger (and OT hero!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Sure has a nice ring to it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Defense isn't a single event it is a process.  The process begins Thursday. 
    I'm pumped for this season.  There is going to be some frustrating times, but it's gong to be a blast.  The trick for me is to look at the big picture, not each period like I tend to do.  Make the playoffs is goal one.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: defending stanley cup champions?:
    [QUOTE]Defense isn't a single event it is a process.  The process begins Thursday.  I'm pumped for this season.  There is going to be some frustrating times, but it's gong to be a blast.  The trick for me is to look at the big picture, not each period like I tend to do.  Make the playoffs is goal one.   
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

i guess i'm the only one irked by this choice of words. to me, once thursday is apon us, the bruins are last season's champs, defending nothing. in another 8 months a champ will be crowned for this season. it just seems like people are lazy in their descriptions of  previous years champs. it's easy and quick to say "defending champs", too much time and effort to say "the 2010-11 stanley cup champions". it's simply more dramatic to say "defending"... you know, the whole team standing in front of the cup, ready to defend it-creates quite the visual! when in reality, this is not the case. IF THE BRUINS lose on thursday, that trophy they are supposed to be defending will not go to the flyers. heck, it's posssible (god forbid) the bruins do not make the playoffs. what happens then? no chance to "defend" their cup, because they didn't "defend" their cup ENOUGH during the reg. season. it's all foolish talk. the bruins are the 2010-11 stanley cup champions. come june they will win again, then it will be legit to call them BACK TO BACK STANLEY CUP CHAMPS!!! or REPEAT CHAMPS- will work just fine also!!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The term "defending champions" relates more to boxing, as another poster astutely pointed out. 

On the other hand, I don't think that the Bruins' cup win is "last year's news".  The fact that each team really gets jacked to play the Cup winners is proof of that.  In my view, the proper term is "Current Cup Champions". Until a new captain gets to hoist the Cup next June, that title is valid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: defending stanley cup champions? : i guess i'm the only one irked by this choice of words. to me, once thursday is apon us, the bruins are last season's champs, defending nothing. in another 8 months a champ will be crowned for this season. it just seems like people are lazy in their descriptions of  previous years champs. it's easy and quick to say "defending champs", too much time and effort to say "the 2010-11 stanley cup champions". it's simply more dramatic to say "defending"... you know, the whole team standing in front of the cup, ready to defend it-creates quite the visual! when in reality, this is not the case. IF THE BRUINS lose on thursday, that trophy they are supposed to be defending will not go to the flyers. heck, it's posssible (god forbid) the bruins do not make the playoffs. what happens then? no chance to "defend" their cup, because they didn't "defend" their cup ENOUGH during the reg. season. it's all foolish talk. the bruins are the 2010-11 stanley cup champions. come june they will win again, then it will be legit to call them BACK TO BACK STANLEY CUP CHAMPS!!! or REPEAT CHAMPS- will work just fine also!!! 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I get what you are saying, and in some ways it isn't correct to say defending champions. For example, the Hawks barely resembled the team that won it. New teams - new season right? 
    In this case, with so much of the team returning, it is a bit more applicable. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

not "defending" anything.  You still have to get through three rounds of playoffs before you get a chance to "defend" the cup.  You can win the cup on year and not even make the playoffs the next -- then what are you defending?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Really, really people, are you really arguing about the word "defending"? Are you all that bored?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Really, really people, are you really arguing about the word "defending"? Are you all that bored?
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

It's a valid point.

Let's say they win best of 7 in the finals, are you going to go around saying 'yay, we retained the cup'
    or
    'yay, we defended the cup'

????

No.  You're going to do the same thing you did the last time, you're going to drink yourself nearly unconscious and say something like
    'be bonda cuff'
    or something like that.  And then challenge me to a fist fight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: defending stanley cup champions? : It's a valid point. Let's say they win best of 7 in the finals, are you going to go around saying 'yay, we retained the cup' or 'yay, we defended the cup' ???? No.  You're going to do the same thing you did the last time, you're going to drink yourself nearly unconscious and say something like 'be bonda cuff' or something like that.  And then challenge me to a fist fight.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    If they repeat as champs I will hunt you down and kiss you on the lips. Out of pure joy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The proper term would be returning, not defending, because a team doesn't need to beat the Bruins to win the championship.  That said, sports borrow terms from other sports.  I hope no one gets in a fight the next time Krejci is said to be "Quarterbacking" the power play with "Power Forward" Lucic on the wing. I think Defending Champion Boston Bruins has a nice ring to it.  It means they are the team to beat to show you are the best, and so it applies quite well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

We are the defending Stanley Cup champions until the other team's captain hoists the Cup. We need to keep reminding the Habs fans, the Canucks fans and the rest of the fanbases that dissed us all last year. I also want to keep saying the year 1993, the last time a Canadian team won the Cup.Laughing