Disgraceful

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Disgraceful

Yeah 49, I like having you here personally, but this is exactly the type of passive-aggressive BS that annoys people.  I think we all read last night about how Joel Ward got two racist messages on Twitter.  That's terrible, but I hadn't even heard that they were Bruins fans or 'from Boston' and frankly, this stuff happens a lot on Twitter.  Joel Ward went on to point out that he got a lot of messages of support from Boston fans, as he should.

So how do you choose to handle this story?  You come to the Bruins forum and start a new thread titled "Disgraceful"?  You're tweaking us, not looking for discussion, and trying to link these random acts of racism with Bruins fans.  It's very transparent.

It is opportuinistic and it speaks to your motives here.  It's pretty weak too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Disgraceful:
    [QUOTE]Disgraceful isn't even harsh enough. Idiots who hide behind the internet are stupid and should be banned from public discussions. But, there goes freedom of speech. Most of us cherish our freedoms and have represented our Country to preserve them. as such we'll have to tolerate these stupid comments.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

With freedoms, come responsibilities.  In my opinion, you're not "free" to say whatever you like, unless you're willing to take responsiblity as the one saying those words.  It's the anonimity of the internet which fogs the discussion about freedom of speech.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah 49, I like having you here personally, but this is exactly the type of passive-aggressive BS that annoys people.  I think we all read last night about how Joel Ward got two racist messages on Twitter.  That's terrible, but I hadn't even heard that they were Bruins fans or 'from Boston' and frankly, this stuff happens a lot on Twitter.  Joel Ward went on to point out that he got a lot of messages of support from Boston fans, as he should. So how do you choose to handle this story?  You come to the Bruins forum and start a new thread titled "Disgraceful"?  You're tweaking us, not looking for discussion, and trying to link these random acts of racism with Bruins fans.  It's very transparent. It is opportuinistic and it speaks to your motives here.  It's pretty weak too.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

EVERY Bruins fan was making racist comments on Twitter...just like EVERY Montreal fan was calling 911 when Chara hit Pacioretty. Wink

Not every one of these tweeters were Bruins fans. Some were...one dude has a Red Wing icon as his avatar, so obviously not all were.  But again, people who generalize based on the actions of a few are dopes.

http://chirpstory.com/li/6781

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

beautiful thing about anonymous posting, you can be whoever you want. how do you know these were really Bruins fans? ignorant losers are everywhere. now if you post video of people at the game shouting these epithets or behaving equally despicably, then there's an argument to be made. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah 49, I like having you here personally, but this is exactly the type of passive-aggressive BS that annoys people.  I think we all read last night about how Joel Ward got two racist messages on Twitter.  That's terrible, but I hadn't even heard that they were Bruins fans or 'from Boston' and frankly, this stuff happens a lot on Twitter.  Joel Ward went on to point out that he got a lot of messages of support from Boston fans, as he should. So how do you choose to handle this story?  You come to the Bruins forum and start a new thread titled "Disgraceful"?  You're tweaking us, not looking for discussion, and trying to link these random acts of racism with Bruins fans.  It's very transparent. It it opportuinistic and it speaks to your motives here.  It's weak too.

Fletch, did you read the article I cited?  It's from the CBC, and it says "some individuals claiming to be Bruins fans" (and I think that's been edited from the first time I read it, where I swear it originally said "some Bruins fans"). 

I didn't make this up.

AND, it doesn't speak to my motives -- if anything, I'm hoping that others will understand how I feel when some people respond to every post I make with a reference to rioters and car arsonists.  The riot was a black mark on my city, something I've moved beyond, but I don't consider it fairplay when I get it thrown back in my face every time I post. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

Alas, 49 North, I doubt anyone is concerned with your feelings. Sorry. I like you, but I'm not sure why you put that article up. There's no point. They can read the article in their own paper. 

perhaps if you had posted the article and asked what people thought and stated you found the incident disgusting, you would have found everyone agreed with you and would tell you there is no place for this in sports

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]beautiful thing about anonymous posting, you can be whoever you want. how do you know these were really Bruins fans? ignorant losers are everywhere. now if you post video of people at the game shouting these epithets or behaving equally despicably, then there's an argument to be made. 
    Posted by vcec[/QUOTE]

The link that takes you to some of the tweets is below.

http://chirpstory.com/li/6781

Some of the ones haven't deleted their Twitter accounts (many have) and you can click right on them to see some more of their tweets. Some are obviously Bruins fans. Some are just plain idiots with no discrenable fan affiliation.

Racists in North America? That watch sports?? Who knew??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disgraceful : Fletch, did you read the article I cited?  It's from the CBC, and it says "some individuals claiming to be Bruins fans" (and I think that's been edited from the first time I read it, where I swear it originally said "some Bruins fans").  I didn't make this up. AND, it doesn't speak to my motives -- if anything, I'm hoping that others will understand how I feel when some people respond to every post I make with a reference to rioters and car arsonists.  The riot was a black mark on my city, something I've moved beyond, but I don't consider it fairplay when I get it thrown back in my face every time I post. 
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

If you want to stoop to the lowest common denominator of the fans here, then fine, rub our noses in some idiot racist fans that are somehow associated with Boston.

As for me, I have never chastised you about the riots or given Kennedy a hard time about 911 calls, because it is obvious you guys aren't associated with that behavior.  In my opinion, you came here today with this thread, and that title, to associate all of us with some anonymous lowlife on the internet, and that is weak.  Did you think it was important to point out to us that racism is disgraceful?  What's the discussion?  You're tweaking us.  Admit it.

I haven't seen one single expression of anger or ill-will towards Joel Ward here, so the discussion would be kind of empty.  I think we all know that the internet is a popular forum for cowardly anonymous idiots.  I'm just happy that Joel Ward mentioned getting lots of support from Boston afterwards. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Not that this is as bad, but look at the idiots in the Caps fan base...since obviously Tim Thomas is a "racist"...there can be no other reason why he wouldn't have gone to the White House. Nope, no other possible reasons whatsoever.

http://chirpstory.com/li/6788

Sports sure brings the morons out.....including one guy who if you look closely is a massive Canucks fan (who complains about dives....that irony deserves a Jack Edwards in Philadelphia laugh)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Alas, 49 North, I doubt anyone is concerned with your feelings. Sorry. I like you, but I'm not sure why you put that article up. There's no point. They can read the article in their own paper.  perhaps if you had posted the article and asked what people thought and stated you found the incident disgusting, you would have found everyone agreed with you and would tell you there is no place for this in sports
    Posted by vcec[/QUOTE]

When he has the opportunity (any opportunity) to poke us in the eye, he takes it.  The rest of the time he's a good poster.

This one is a cheapshot.  A Burrows bite, if you will...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disgraceful : When he has the opportunity (any opportunity) to poke us in the eye, he takes it.  The rest of the time he's a good poster. This one is a cheapshot.  A Burrows bite, if you will...
    Or hair pull......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Terrible but its not representative of Bruin fans in any way. I don't think Ward cares at all, he potted a gm 7 OT winner and moving on. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Listened to Jim Rome today and he was talking about this, and trying his best to make Boston look like a bunch of Racists. First time he's mentioned hockey since the Riots... the guy is a typical ESPN instigator.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Racism is everywhere, and it needs to be denounced when it rears its head - But I've seen racist comments on this board, I've seen them on my Jets boad, I've heard them from Canucks fans, I've even heard a Flames fan call Jerome Iginla the N-word.

As a Vancouverite, I'm tired of the riot references just like 49 is, but they're not overly comparable. Still, yeah these idiots need to be denounced every single time they poke their heads up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disgraceful : Exactly Kel. Just because someone on the web says they're a Bruins fan doesn't make it so. I mean, look at Stanley. Would you really put it past someone like Null to go out and make racial slurs "on behalf" of "Bruins fans"?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Disgraceful yes, and should be condemned.  But Bruin's fans?  Who knows?  Just as likely to be a troll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

This kind of behavior is more representitive of our society as a whole...at least where its going. VERY SAD!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I raised my daughters not to be racists, to understand how others think, and to realize there are idiots of all kinds of races, creeds, and ethnic groups.  North don't post to compare and generalize to support your belief system but to condemn those who are idiots as a whole!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

racism is stupid and shame on those people for saying what they said......however, i do feel that people are way too sensitive with this topic....the caps owner is almost as classless for what he said as the racists folks are for saying what they said. joel ward took the high road and i respect him for that....i wish more people would follow in his footsteps as he is the man who the slurs were aimed at and he has acted the best in this situation. be proud of your race and just laugh at whatever the ignorant people have to say....getting offended is exactly what they are trying to do.....by ignoring them, it is hurting them more than it will hurt you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Pretty impressed with how Ward has handled the whole situation. Instead of showing anger or dissapointment at ALL Bruins fans because of the acts of a few he goes out of his way to say how some Bruins fans have supported him. Whats that tell you about him? Tells me, this guy faces some adversity and rises above it. Well done, he has a new fan in myself and I hope he gets another big goal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

It's just that Boston has a bad history and we like to think that's in the past. I guess it's not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Racism is everywhere, and it needs to be denounced when it rears its head - But I've seen racist comments on this board, I've seen them on my Jets boad, I've heard them from Canucks fans, I've even heard a Flames fan call Jerome Iginla the N-word. As a Vancouverite, I'm tired of the riot references just like 49 is, but they're not overly comparable. Still, yeah these idiots need to be denounced every single time they poke their heads up.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Correct red.  We have.  As I recall one poster needed to be schooled on his unfortunate use of certain terminology.  I also remember an insulting racial inference he made about Kevin Weekes.  Unlike those infantile yobs on Twitter, this person genuinely didn't seem to realize the terms he was using were bigoted.  To his credit he apologized after stating he "researched" them.  (That was his word.)  Haven't seen anything from him since.  Too bad as he seemed to be a die hard Bruin fan. 

As for the Ward situation his colour should make sweet F - all difference but to those so inclined they felt the need to post hateful sh!te.  The comments don't represent Boston fans.  Just individuals who feel compelled to conduct themselves in this manner.  To hell with them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disgraceful : Correct red.  We have.  As I recall one poster needed to be schooled on his unfortunate use of certain terminology.  I also remember an insulting racial inference he made about Kevin Weekes.  Unlike those infantile yobs on Twitter, this person genuinely didn't seem to realize the terms he was using were bigoted.  To his credit he apologized after stating he "researched" them.  (That was his word.)  Haven't seen anything from him since.  Too bad as he seemed to be a die hard Bruin fan.  As for the Ward situation his colour should make sweet F - all difference but to those so inclined they felt the need to post hateful sh!te.  The comments don't represent Boston fans.  Just individuals who feel compelled to conduct themselves in this manner.  To hell with them.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

I don't know how anyone born in the 20th Century couldn't know the word "monkey" is racialized, but yeah he did apologize. I didn't believe it, but he did own up to it. Not sure if I can give him kudos for that,.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

Great kudos to Ward for handling this with considerable class and dignity.  And to Anson Carter for outing the idiot who hurled racial epithets at him.

I'll add that the realization that I share, even in the smallest way, a common interest with a bunch of cowardly, racist yahoos is infinitely more distressing than seeing the Bruins eliminated in the first round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Im really surprised by the comments some people made about Ward and too him. The sad thing is, there will always be racism. And when people make racist comments, it only fuels the fire for the race card to be played and deservedly so. Sometimes its warranted and sometimes its not.

Made me think of a story my neighbor who is Caucasian, told me about an issue that came up with him and a coworker, who is African American. My neighbors coworker was complaining that her toes always cramp up and she gets charlie horses all the time. Well my neighbor suggested that she eat more bananas for the potassium. Apparently potassium keeps cramps from occurring. Anyway, she filed a complaint against my neighbor for being and saying racist comments.

Everyone needs to take a step back, and just when you think society has a chance to turn the corner, something like these racist tweets, only puts society further in the hole. Probably something we'll never dig ourselves out of, but we must keep trying.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Nice article about Ward today in the Toronto Star.
    His mother said he faced this his entire life.
    He is a little bit like TT in that he didn't make the NHL right away.
    Played a few years in the AHL.
    Sure has made it big now!!!!
    Go to TorontoStar.com