Do you hate Andrew Ference?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Do you hate Andrew Ference?

It's no coincidence since he's been back (with exception of 1st game back) the defense has been stable along with the defensive pairings (see todays article on Globe).
    Mr Shot you might have your answer there as of why McQuaid's passing was off . Good excuse ? 
    People here wanted Ference out for a bag of pucks . Really ?
    Rethink that one.

I really hope Julien rests him soon for the playoffs.

p.s. Shupe, don;t bring up the whole Paille thing and I promise I won't bring up Torres and his goal totals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Do you hate Andrew Ference?

NAS just doesn't like McQuaid, end of story. Ference has been so steady for the B's when he is healthy. I for one, am glad he is back and McQuaid and him are reunited. As for them they played very well against Chicago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Do you hate Andrew Ference?:
    [QUOTE]NAS just doesn't like McQuaid, end of story. Ference has been so steady for the B's when he is healthy. I for one, am glad he is back and McQuaid and him are reunited. As for them they played very well against Chicago.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Nah,  just doesn't like evryone making him out to be more than he is.
    I think he's a "Libra" and likes to balance out things.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]NAS just doesn't like McQuaid, end of story. Ference has been so steady for the B's when he is healthy. I for one, am glad he is back and McQuaid and him are reunited. As for them they played very well against Chicago.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

I also like this defensive pairing. Their styles compliment each other's play. Andy certainly provides the Team with the "intangible".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I like Ference.  But I liked Stewie better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Today's Fluto comments emphasizes the benefits of "Chemistry" between playing partners. It has taken almost the entire season for Claude to recognize this. Now he is putting out a more responsible and productive team. The defensive pairings have been consistent; the Kelly line has improved Seguin's play as their "chemistry" evolves; Bergeron's line, even with the skill reduction in Recchi, has "chemistry", therefore productivity. Ference, as the subject of this post, has played better this year than in the last two; his 'Chemistry" with McQuaid has helped McQuaid develop and play better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Ference is exhibit A for how you can't use numbers in hockey the way you can in a sport like baseball.  Nothing that shows up on stat sheets suggests that he should have any real significant impact on how well the team does.  The team is 37-27 with him in the lineup, and 6-6 with him out this year.  Last year it was 28-23 and 11-20.  27-20 and 26-9 the year before though... whoops.

Interesting note for this year:  +5 on the road... +17 at home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Do you hate Andrew Ference?:
    [QUOTE]It's no coincidence since he's been back (with exception of 1st game back) the defense has been stable along with the defensive pairings (see todays article on Globe). Mr Shot you might have your answer there as of why McQuaid's passing was off . Good excuse ?  People here wanted Ference out for a bag of pucks . Really ? Rethink that one. I really hope Julien rests him soon for the playoffs. p.s. Shupe, don;t bring up the whole Paille thing and I promise I won't bring up Torres and his goal totals.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Haha, I said Torres gets a bonus playoff round to make up for reg season goals.  And I still would take him over 1/2 of our fwds for the record.

Do I hate AF? No. I actually liked his game a lot in Calgarys run to the cup.  My issue has been durability and a contract that wasnt earned.  On top of the other off ice issues that I agreed not to bring up.  But he has had a very solid year and is very important come playoff time. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Right on Legion.  Ference has done everything you could have expected this year and has been the most consistent d-man behind Chara.  I hope some of the folks here that wanted to ship him away for nothing are finally coming around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Ference is exhibit A for how you can't use numbers in hockey the way you can in a sport like baseball.  Nothing that shows up on stat sheets suggests that he should have any real significant impact on how well the team does.  The team is 37-27 with him in the lineup, and 6-6 with him out this year.  Last year it was 28-23 and 11-20.  27-20 and 26-9 the year before though... whoops. Interesting note for this year:  +5 on the road... +17 at home.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Spot on analysis DrCC!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Fletcher,
    I would say he earned his contract this year.  But he is a bandaid.  And I still wouldnt have given him that money especially since he was injured when he got the deal.  If he has a few more years like this I have no issue admitting I was wrong.  But I would have rather spent that 2+ million on a cheaper dman. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you hate Andrew Ference? : Nah,  just doesn't like evryone making him out to be more than he is. I think he's a "Libra" and likes to balance out things.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Balance things out ? LOL. The coffee in my mouth just sprayed all over the monitor. It's pure hate ! I should know .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dsweeney24. Show dsweeney24's posts

Hate Ference? Idiotic concept. He's had a few too many injuries, but other than that the guy is a solid defender and decent puck mover. He's also shown that he's not afraid to mix it up and come to the defense of his teamates. All that BS over the Paille comments was just that BS; hyped into NHL story of the week. As a fan, I respect his game. And I am not nervous when he's on the ice. As a player, I'd play with a guy like him anyday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you hate Andrew Ference? : Haha, I said Torres gets a bonus playoff round to make up for reg season goals.  And I still would take him over 1/2 of our fwds for the record. Do I hate AF? No. I actually liked his game a lot in Calgarys run to the cup.  My issue has been durability and a contract that wasnt earned.  On top of the other off ice issues that I agreed not to bring up.  But he has had a very solid year and is very important come playoff time. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I hope you mean the half in Providence.

OK over Thorn and Pail, that is it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

His play and money are good, Stu was better in both, then again I like Seid but he is overpaid as well.  Hate to see what Kab is going to get.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Ive praised Ference since they traded for him.  Arguably the most underrated Bruin player of the last few years.  He is a HUGE part of the team, and a real impact player.  He makes a noticeable difference in favor of the Bruins when he is in the line up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you hate Andrew Ference? : I hope you mean the half in Providence. OK over Thorn and Pail, that is it.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Over anyone on our current 3rd line as well.  He plays on the 3rd line in Van, he surely could beat out Kelly/Peverly or Seguin on ours and anyone on the 4th line as well.  He plays PK/PP and shut down role with Manny(until his injury), he is fast and has playoff experience.  Even when he isnt scoring he is a canon ball on ice.  He would lead our team in hits by the way.  I like Torres, its an old discusion...I said he would crack 20 goals. Its not gonna happen but he is a big piece on their 3rd line. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

Far from it. The Bruins seem to have played better with him in the lineup. It just seems that the losing skid was when Ference was out of the lineup and the winning started again when he started playing again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

+ 22 = No!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I like him as long as he earns his contract by playing solid D in a top four spot for at least 70+ games. I hate him when he fails to do this because his 2.25 mill cap hit is needed on at team near the max....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Fletcher, I would say he earned his contract this year.  But he is a bandaid.  And I still wouldnt have given him that money especially since he was injured when he got the deal.  If he has a few more years like this I have no issue admitting I was wrong.  But I would have rather spent that 2+ million on a cheaper dman. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

We did -- Matt Hunwick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

What makes Ference a "bandaid" as opposed to the other defensmen?  I don't understand that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Ference was terrible last year, but no complaints this year about his play. Although $2+ million for a 3rd-pairing defenseman is simply too much money. If Atlanta wanted Ference instead of Stuart, I would have preferred it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Ference was terrible last year, but no complaints this year about his play. Although $2+ million for a 3rd-pairing defenseman is simply too much money. If Atlanta wanted Ference instead of Stuart, I would have preferred it.
    Posted by Dave24[/QUOTE]

To be fair Ference has been decent this year and has been relatively injury free.  He is a natural third pairing but due to his contract he should be top four. Just think, Boychuk and McQuaid combined make almost as much as Ference. I personally would prefer the two over the one.

Now before everyone chimes in with Ference's intangibles just ask yourself the question. Has he or any team he played for ever won anything? No. Has any other team he played with consistently given him top four minutes? No. Has he even scored more than 5 goals in a single year? No. Does the team do better with him in the lineup? Of course they do because they can only replace his minutes with a rookie or by increasing the other defencemen minutes which is never ideal.

This is the reality of Ference and his contract. He would be ideal at 1.5 million, maybe 1.75 but any more is just a waste of cap space.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

WOW!  REALLY!?  Ference is MUCH better overall than Stuart.  I LOVED Stuart for his physical play, but thats really all he offered.  Stuart isnt a $2mil D-man.  Id say Ference is a $2mil man, Stuart a $1.2-$1.7 at most.  I think we can all agree though that d-men are way overpaid in general.