Do you remember and do you care?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Do you remember and do you care?

As we go cold turkey on Bruin hockey after the drubbing of the Senioritas, this occured to me. 

On January 29th, 2012 - two years and two weeks ago - Tim Thomas won his fourth consecutive NHL All-Star Game.  There hasn't been and ASG since.  There won't be one until Columbus hosts it next year around this time - three full years.  In the 2012 edition, the Bruins were the defending Cup champions and Thomas the reigning Conn Smythe winner.  The Bruins sent three players - Thomas, Chara, and Taylor Sequins who would go on to lead the team in scoring.

Lot of water under the bridge since the NHL last held this little corporate schmooze and autograph session.  Be honest. You didn't even notice, did you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Do you remember and do you care?

I haven't watched in years, a waste of time in my view,i understand its a chance for the NHL and its sponsors to have a shmoozefest, but the shinny contest is horrible. I have watched some of the skills competition but thats if i happen to be watching tv and notice its on. In summary i think the NHL should cancel it and give the players a 5 day break.Now if i though it might correlate somehow into another B's Cup,i could be talked into watching it.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I've been busy replaying the Bruno Mars concert, especially the part when the red hot chili pukers came out without their instruments plugged in and jumped around real good

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah the Chilis instruments were pre-recorded, but whatever.  They freakin' ripped.

I haven't watched the actual game in many years.  I enjoy the hoopla much more than the 60 minutes of passing.  For some reason, it just isn't like it was before.  Maybe it was always this soft and silly, but when Bourque blew it up in '96 (I think), the game had emotion.

I like the fantasy draft and the skills competition.  Those parts are fun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

The ASG is not worth watching.  I remember it being must-see TV when I was a kid.  Caring about which Bruin made it and watching the player introductions on the ice.  Times have changed, my kids have little interest in it either, but enjoy watching hockey.

Skills competition was fun to watch, so would be good to see that again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Back in the day, it was still novel to see the best players in the league play together.  I remember it particularly after the Canada Cup started, and you had a sense of what a defense that had the Scabs' best and the Bruins' best, with Denis Potvin thrown in for good measure, would look like.  That was exciting, and the scores didn't get super goofy until, what, the 80s?  1983, Gretzky led the Campbell Conference to a 9-3 win.  It was the first time one team scored more than 7 goals.  But even that doesn't seem like it compromised the fun of best vs. best.  That waited until until the end of the 80s and the early 90s when the result took a back seat to "how many goals will they score?" and trying to set a new record every year.  '89 was most total goals  for both teams - 9-5.  Then it got really goofy with 12, 11, 10, 16 goal games for the winning side alone.  NAS, the reason the Bourque game in Boston stood out, above and beyond Bourque being the show and MVP in his home rink, is it was actually a reasonable game - 5-4.

All the silly scores took it down the road of international vs. NA, which always felt like it had nothing to do with the NHL, and neither that nor the fantasy draft has changed the fundamental point that the game has gotten softer adn softer, the goals more and more frequent.

It just comes down to contact sports being ill-suited for mid-season exhibitions.  No one wants to get hurt, no one wants to raise the emotional bar in a meaningless game - so it feels flat as a practice the first day back after a 3 week roadie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I always figured their peckers wouldn't be chilly if they wore more than a sock over them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

'member when the all-star game pitted cup champ vs the rest?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I did not notice it, probably more because of the upcoming Olympic games more than anything else. I loved the skills competition, especially when it first came and Bourque was winning the accuracy shot contests. I like the old format in those better, remember some would do the fast skate contest without a helmet? Like seeing Chara in the hardest shot and Kessel being picked last was awkwardly funny in the Fantasy draft.

I did however watch pretty much the whole game last time to see Price miced up and Thomas tey and get the fourth win. I loved how he decided to play the 3rd period so he could get that,.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

I gotta a 14 yo.  He love's them and misses them.  I don't care.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I think most of us watch sports to see a combination of the skill, the intensity, the energy and competitiveness ( among other things ) between professional athletes.

All star games don't give us much of any of those things.

As a kid I cared..........now I don't. 

Bring on the games that matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't ever remember finding the game interesting and I certainly don't miss it now.  Honestly, I wouldn't even watch it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

already had forgotten how little i cared....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I do remember the Bourque game winning goal in Boston in 96' but I also remember with ,the same Bruins management, that his goal would be the highlight of the season. Ranford flops and the mighty Panthers end another lame season.

No there is nothing to it but the fact that Bourque took pride in smokin everyone in the shooting accuracy contest was cool. I would wait for Ray to dominate and then turn the TV off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

I think most of us watch sports to see a combination of the skill, the intensity, the energy and competitiveness ( among other things ) between professional athletes.

All star games don't give us much of any of those things.

As a kid I cared..........now I don't. 

Bring on the games that matter.

Perfect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

All-Star games in every sport kinda s_ _ k. Haven't watched any of them since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

I think that inter-league play, the internet and having 300 channels has taken much of the curiosity out of these All-Star events. As a kid, I remember being excited to actually get a glimpse of the stars in the Western Conference or the National League in baseball. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that inter-league play, the internet and having 300 channels has taken much of the curiosity out of these All-Star events. As a kid, I remember being excited to actually get a glimpse of the stars in the Western Conference or the National League in baseball. 

[/QUOTE]

So true.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do remember the Bourque game winning goal in Boston in 96' but I also remember with ,the same Bruins management, that his goal would be the highlight of the season. Ranford flops and the mighty Panthers end another lame season.

No there is nothing to it but the fact that Bourque took pride in smokin everyone in the shooting accuracy contest was cool. I would wait for Ray to dominate and then turn the TV off.

[/QUOTE]

My favourite memory Dog was when TSN was covering the skills comp. In 92' Bourque got 4 for 4. Then in 93' I remember Mr. Knowitall Howie Meeker was doing the color & when Bourque came up to shoot. I believe it was Paul Romanuk who said "Bourque went 4 for 4 last year!" Mr. Dinosaur himself then screams into the mike. " HE WON'T BE DOING THAT THIS YEAR!" BOOM! In your face you old fawk! Meeker was never so quiet in his whole career. Absolutely priceless & frozen in time! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Bourque" and "pride" should never be used in the same sentence. Pride went out the window when he teased Harry to trade him. That he got a tainted cup win as a washed-up, hanger-on makes it even more disgusting.

He clearly has no pride today as he shows up in public weighing in at about 375 with his 14 chins. Pride? HA!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

In response to Uncle-Salty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Bourque" and "pride" should never be used in the same sentence. Pride went out the window when he teased Harry to trade him. That he got a tainted cup win as a washed-up, hanger-on makes it even more disgusting.

He clearly has no pride today as he shows up in public weighing in at about 375 with his 14 chins. Pride? HA!

[/QUOTE]

So...with your 33rd post you decide to disparage the character of one of the greatest Bruins to ever take the ice? You're treading on sacred ground here...troll. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

[QUOTE]

You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty.

[/QUOTE]

BTW: There are a lot of people who still think hockey is "wrestling on skates", and the ASG, the outdoor games and of course the Olympic hockey tournament help to expand the hockey audience. That being said, I myself don't like to watch the ASG anymore, and I don't care about TT's ASG record.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Uncle-Salty's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhhh, a fat joke.

This seems to be a trait that happens to many hockey players ( and people in general ) as they age. 

Your understanding of the meaning of the word "pride" needs a little fine tuning. 

People who have aged and are over weight have no pride ? Pretty stupid thing to say. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Personally I like the All Star Weekend. The skills competition moreso than the game but it's fun to see the skill level of these guys when there is not another team trying to put them through the glass. 

And what type of bum trashes Ray ???  Why not take a poke at Cam and Bobby while you are at it...