Do You Think Horton...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Do You Think Horton...

Would take a home town discount next year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Do You Think Horton...

1.  His hometown isn't Boston and he's only played here for a few years.

2.  Can you point to any 28 years olds who have taken less money as UFAs to stay with their current team?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

2.  Can you point to any 28 years olds who have taken less money as UFAs to stay with their current team?

No Dunville doesn;t have a team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

he's playing for the BOSTON BRUINS this evening at 8 pm est ...for that i'm happy. i hope lucic, krejci and horton light up the pens tonight!!!  goals for everyone!!!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:

he's playing for the BOSTON BRUINS this evening at 8 pm est ...for that i'm happy. i hope lucic, krejci and horton light up the pens tonight!!!  goals for everyone!!!  

I'm with you will worry about next year,hopefully after Bruins go on to win cup,right now he is a Bruin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No chance.  Im glad hes having a great run but i dont wanna offer him 5 per over 3-4.   combined with lucic 6 million and dks contract thats 16 million for one line.  

They need to find someone to take peverly and or kelly. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

Doubt it but I will say this just like DK and Looch they seem to be overpaid to me watching them in the regular season but when the playoffs start they are worth every freaking penny!

Tim Thomas Thanks for the memories !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

At 28, UFA status, and playing out of his mind in the playoffs - this is his best opportunity to maximize his career earnings potential. Would you if you were him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

After seeing Horton's interview with Scott Oake the other night. The grin on his face was one of sure contentment.  Winning is addictive. He may test the market, but he may also want to stay. Nobody knows what Horton will do, but Horton himself. If he would stay for 3 mill/3yr. I would hope PC would figure out a way to do it. He's proven he makes this Bruin team a lot better in the play-offs. He's got a lot more big goals left. I'd prefer they were with Boston instead of the possibility of being against them. However, I don't want PC breaking the bank either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

At 28, UFA status, and playing out of his mind in the playoffs - this is his best opportunity to maximize his career earnings potential. Would you if you were him?

Personally if i was getting payed good money and i liked  my team and the city,if my family really liked it there,i would stay for less money.I mean if the money was crazy more over what I was getting sure ,but that's just me money isn't everthing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

[QUOTE]

Personally if i was getting payed good money and i liked  my team and the city,if my family really liked it there,i would stay for less money.I mean if the money was crazy more over what I was getting sure ,but that's just me money isn't everthing.

[/QUOTE]

It's not just you kitch. Jerred Weaver of the Angels liked playing there so much that he left between 25 and 50 million on the table to stay there long term. He's also got Scott Boras as his agent. Boras is known to be as ruthless as any agent in pro sports but admitted that the decision is all up to the player when it comes right down to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

That is all well and good to say (and I don't necessarily disagree with that premise), but the way athletes view money is different from you and I. This will likely be the biggest payday of his career and given the Bruins financial situation and offseason priorities (sign Rask, sign Rask, and sign Rask!), his offer from the Bruins will likely be short years (3?) with only a slight raise (4.5-5?).

When another team offers a 5 year, $30 Million dollar deal - he will accept and he and his family will adjust to a new city just fine, I'm sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"At 28, UFA status, and playing out of his mind in the playoffs - this is his best opportunity to maximize his career earnings potential. Would you if you were him?" - 'Not-a-Shot'

"Personally if i was getting payed good money and i liked  my team and the city,if my family really liked it there,i would stay for less money.I mean if the money was crazy more over what I was getting sure ,but that's just me money isn't everthing." - 'kitchener'

Yea, I'm kinda with 'kitchener' on this one. Not too many 28 year old, UFA status guys, have to choose whether to walk away from a potential Stanley Cup dynasty or not (don't worry, I'm not getting ahead of myself, everything is hypothetical here)

Besides, I saw that Scott Oake interview as well. Nathan Horton seems a different guy than most.

He is a big tournament player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

It's not just you kitch. Jerred Weaver of the Angels liked playing there so much that he left between 25 and 50 million on the table to stay there long term. He's also got Scott Boras as his agent. Boras is known to be as ruthless as any agent in pro sports but admitted that the decision is all up to the player when it comes right down to it.

There will always be players - though not tonnes of them - who will forgo the huge payday to stick with a team or a city that they love. Stan Smyl, Teemu Selanne and Dave Manson pop to mind as examples. Different people value different things. Two years ago the Jets offered Teemu a ridiculous amount of cash to come back (reports out of Winni[peg were that he was told he could write his own number) but he responded by basically saying he was a middle aged guy with a wife, kids and dogs and while it would be great to be a Jet again, it would have been a huge pain in the a__ to move.

Money's not everything to everybody.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

If he would stay for 3 mill/3yr. I would hope PC would figure out a way to do it.

If Horton took this deal, I'd assume he needed to get back to the Doc to re-check that head injury.

While its true money isnt everything to everybody, many of the very few examples you cite are baseball players that make more money in a contract than a hockey player would make in a career... or hockey players that are older and at the end, having made their money and are settled.

Horton may love Boston, but even though he's 28, he could very easily be reading what Andy MacDonald did yesterday.  He could be one more good hit in the head from retirement.  If he passed on this moment, where he absolutely will make all the money he's ever going to make, he'd be kinda foolish.

A contender with cap space with throw the bank at him (Detroit?) He doesn't have to play in Boston to compete for the Cup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

No, unless the Bs trade Boychuk or buyout Pevs, he's gone.

Would he take $4 million instead of $5, maybe, but he's not taking $2.

Funny how this playoffs has increased his pay from $2-3 to $4-6 million.

-----------------------------------------
    "Lighten up Francis"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Toronto will very likely make a play for him.

I think Chiarelli will figure out how to be a front-runner for Horton's services. I think intangibles beyond money will figure into Horton's decision making.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I hope he stays but he's not the priority, that would be Rask. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Of course. Rask.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

No Dunville doesn;t have a team.

[/QUOTE]

Incorrect . Dunnville has a team.

But, Horton is too old for the junior C Mudcats.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

...Will have a beautiful Home in Auburn Hills, Michigan or in a very nice area of Ontario very soon.

"He's also got Scott Boras as his agent. Boras is known to be as ruthless as any agent in pro sports but admitted that the decision is all up to the player when it comes right down to it."

Ellsbury will have a $100M on the table from a few teams this winter. Such terrible choices LoL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

Toronto will very likely make a play for him.

I think Chiarelli will figure out how to be a front-runner for Horton's services. I think intangibles beyond money will figure into Horton's decision making.

maybe the chance to be on on a 2,3,4x stanley cup winning team would be pretty persuasive!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

...Will have a beautiful Home in Auburn Hills, Michigan or in a very nice area of Ontario very soon.

"He's also got Scott Boras as his agent. Boras is known to be as ruthless as any agent in pro sports but admitted that the decision is all up to the player when it comes right down to it."

Ellsbury will have a $100M on the table from a few teams this winter. Such terrible choices LoL

Crazy cash these ball players get eh San? Weaver took 85 mill for 5 years (17 per) in 2011. At least 3 or 4 pitchers with comparable numbers have signed for between 20 and 25 mill per season since then. He left at least 25 mill on the table. No doubt he's a rarity though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Crazy cash these ball players get eh San? Weaver took 85 mill for 5 years (17 per) in 2011. At least 3 or 4 pitchers with comparable numbers have signed for between 20 and 25 mill per season since then. He left at least 25 mill on the table. No doubt he's a rarity though. [/QUOTE]

And he is a So Cal boy and Orange County is beautiful and the Angels have a great owner and Orange County is beautiful...I could keep going.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]Ellsbury will have a $100M on the table from a few teams this winter. Such terrible choices LoL

Crazy cash these ball players get eh San? Weaver took 85 mill for 5 years (17 per) in 2011. At least 3 or 4 pitchers with comparable numbers have signed for between 20 and 25 mill per season since then. He left at least 25 mill on the table. No doubt he's a rarity though. [/QUOTE]

And he is a So Cal boy and Orange County is beautiful and the Angels have a great owner and Orange County is beautiful...I could keep going.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah i've never been there but hear it's much like you describe.