Do you think Julien should be replaced as coach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Do you think Julien should be replaced as coach?

davecarr

With a record of 9-5-1 whoever initiated this Post should be banned for life by the Globe

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 and CJ for President

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I think I should have been a little clearer in my response about CJ.  Rolling 4 lines doesn't mean Soupy's line.  In my mind his line's a top 6 line, lately.

I'm talking about putting guys on the ice that don't deserve the ice time!  Roll 3 lines and spot in the slackers.  Roll Bergy, Soupy and Wheelers line with Seguin and Ryder switching off on wing.  Play Paille on the PK only.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

SIMPLY YES

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Wow I am surprised at the number of fans here who are happy with regular season success but are not worried about playoff success.  I want a coach capable of bring a cup to Boston not a guy who is just good for the regular season. 

A couple years ago this board was filled with trolls that claimed JJ wanted to be successful in the regular season but fail in the playoff.  It appears this is what the fan base wants so if it is true you can hardly blame JJ.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In reponse to Duinne I am not saying there is someone who is going to play better at Center.  My point was I want to put my potential future franchise player in a position to get his feet solidly under him, be successful and gain confidence before asking him to to take on defensive responsibilities that he is not ready for.  At some point he will have to learn to handle the defensive responsibilities that go with being a top center in the league but coming off a 20 goal, 50 point season as a winger may be the better time to ask him to make that transition as he will have confidence (next year or the year after).  In the meantime Humpty can only play him 10-12 minutes a game because he can't handle the top centers in the NHL.  If he was on the wing on nights where he was flying and looking more dangerous than most Bruin wingers Dumpty could get him out there more often.  Hamill is 20 not 18 and has had a chance to develop his game so maybe from a defensive point of view he would be as good or better than Seguin.  I do realize you can't do everything just for Seguin.  He is only one player and there are team considerations but I think all things being fairly equal, any loss you have by moving him out of centre, will be offset by the success he will have on the wing both this year and in the future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

@bim209:

"Benching Kessel in the playoffs but insisting on rolling 4 lines is a contradiction in and of itself"
    Actually, those are two mutually exclusive concepts. Benching a player to motivate him (which you will recall was very successful in the example you mentioned) has nothing to do with rolling 4 lines per game.

"Rolling 4 lines says hey, F it, everyone gets to play, except YOU. " In the example you gave, this is correct. Everyone except the player who is not performing can play. That motivates the player to perform. You explained the exact reason a player gets benched, yet you criticize him for doing it. Would you rather he keeps letting the player go on half-a$$ing it? Or do you send him a message by letting him sit while everyone else gets to play?

But for the most part, rolling 4 lines is not the trait of a bad coach, it's the trait of a coach who has a very talented team. Perhaps if it was an ordinary team that had 2 scoring lines, they would play the most. But already several times this year the B's got goals by all 4 lines in a game. In fact, of all the forwards, only Paille, Seguin, and Ryder are minuses on the year. That tells you that not only do the 3 and 4 lines score goals, but other teams don't score on them as much. That provides Julien the luxury of rolling 4 lines, and as long as they keep contributing, why exhaust the top lines? Would you rather they flame out at the end of the season?

@bigvig:
    "I'm still not sold on Claude.  I dont know why, but Ive always wondered about him.  Why did the Habs let him go mid-season & Devils let him go right before the playoffs when he had the second best record in the East and won the Atlantic division."

Does it matter? If you make a mistake at work and get fired, do you learn from that mistake, or do you just make it over and over? Don't you think things like that get covered during the interview process? First off, he was fired by Bob Gainey in Montreal. Looking back on HIS GM career, do you see a lot of good moves that he made? Sure there were a few, but there were an awful lot of failures there, too, and fans in Montreal were not at all upset to see him go. Second, Lameriello fired him in Jersey, the second season in a row Lou thought he could do better himself than the person he hired as coach. He said that the players weren't mentally ready to play in the playoffs, then himself failed to motivate the players past the second round. So was it Juliens fault? Or were the players just not good enough? The results were the same with Lou behind the bench as CJ, so you can't assume CJ was the problem. Either way, much as you and everyone else, you gain experience and get better over time. To judge him based on the fact he was fired by two teams in the past instead of his performance here is not fair.

@OrrtheBest
    "Yes, Julien is a coach who has never had any playoff success and is not likely to."
    The Bruins have been to the playoffs all three years he has coached, and have come to within a goal of the conference finals twice. Not saying the Bruins shouldn't have gotten that goal both years, not saying that the B's shouldn't have been better, but try saying that line to fans in New York, or Long Island, or Columbus, or Phonix, or Los Angeles, or 15 other cities.

@badhab:
    "OK.  Someone please tell me the criteria you use to benchmark coaches." Wins vs Losses. That's the way the NHL GM's do it.  If the team wins, it doesn't matter how they win. Then why should we? Just get the victories, and everyone is happy, except for armchair GMs on message boards.

@Stanley
    "davecarr With a record of 9-5-1 whoever initiated this Post should be banned for life by the Globe"
    no need to jump to conclusions or panic. My post didn't indicate or suggest anything, other that to consolidate all the other threads that are already out there. The bottom line, and reason for my post, was simply to save time. For everyone that says "Yes, he needs to go", I can click "Ignore user". There, all of them in one thread, no need to hunt to find out who they are!

You see, my philosphy is this:  Coaches who deserve to get fired are the coaches whos teams sit at the basement, who have no chance of making playoffs, or even improving anytime in the near future. Good teams have 10 game losing streaks. It's not often. but slumps happen. Crap happens, and if you know you have the talent to get past it, you work through it and move on. The Isle's? Lost 10 games and had no reason to expect they wouldn't lose another 10. Something NEEDS to change. Toronto? New Jersey? Something NEEDS to change. a 9-5-1 team? No. Are there things CJ can improve on? Of course there are, not everybody can be Scotty Bowman. But to call for him to be fired because the players aren't great every night? Because sometimes the players take a mental day off? Like that hasnt happened where each and every one of us works. A day where nobody's minds seem to be in it...

My theory is this: The people who think Cj should be fired are to normal Bruins fans what the Taliban is to Islam. Extremists who can never be happy unless everything is perfect, everybody thinks like them, and face it, it's not going to happen. One team wins the Stanley Cup. That doesn't mean 29 other teams have to hire new coaches each season. Except for last year, when the B's were decimated by injuries, the B's have gotten better with CJ as coach. This year, even with injuries, the Bruins are putting up with good numbers. Yet the die-hard fans are in such a frenzy that they are calling for his head regardless.

These are people who have a right to their opinions. But they are opinions that I do not wish to see, as to me their expectations are unreasonable at best, irrational at worst. So I started this thread to make it easier to figure out who to ignore, so I don't wind up getting frustrated when reading their posts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Why even play 82 games? Why play at all is what you are saying. It's fine to make it to the playoffs just to bow out and underachieve. To compare fans who want more than what they have been given in the last 3 years to the taliban is sick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Do you think Julien should be replaced as coach?:
    [QUOTE]So many threads to go through, so many people with vague or changing opinions, hard to get a real feel on who feels he should go, who feels he shouhld stay. So very simply, yes or no?
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

No.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think Julien should be replaced as coach?:
    [QUOTE] davecarr With a record of 9-5-1 whoever initiated this Post should be banned for life by the Globe Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 and CJ for President
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

Stanley-Stanley-Stanley..........You're exactly right he should not be fired for the record of the current team this season. He should have been fired the next morning after game 7 of the Philly series last year. Some of us see the same guy doing the same things the same way. The issues are way beyond the record of a CJ coached team in November. Let's hope for the best - because this GM's credibility, and this owners dollars are the only reasons he wasn't canned immediately following the lowest point in the history of this franchise. This team needs direction and leadership above all else, and that's just never going to be him. Hopefully you can understand the frustration that some feel when watching history repeat itself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

davecarr, playing everyone regardless if they are sucking or not is the CJ way.  4 lines at all costs.  Yet he benches one of their better scorers in the playoffs.  That's a philosophical contradiction.  And that's not how you motivate, that's how you single someone out and make an example of them.  And it was probably the beginning of the division between him and Phil.

Motivating is limiting their ice time until they get the message.  CJ needs to learn to shorten the bench.  Top 9 that are going good that night, play them.  This is the NHL not the Valley league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsChef. Show BruinsChef's posts

Speaking of losers Julien is another one. Has a great defensive system during the regular season to pile up the points and make the playoffs but is an uninspiring train wreck come playoff time. You dont win the Big one with a guy like Clode behind the bench!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Wait, this is a 2010 thread?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

[QUOTE]davecarr, playing everyone regardless if they are sucking or not is the CJ way.  4 lines at all costs.  Yet he benches one of their better scorers in the playoffs.  That's a philosophical contradiction.  And that's not how you motivate, that's how you single someone out and make an example of them.  And it was probably the beginning of the division between him and Phil. Motivating is limiting their ice time until they get the message.  CJ needs to learn to shorten the bench.  Top 9 that are going good that night, play them.  This is the NHL not the Valley league.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

I do agree with this. I especially agree that he needs to shorten his bench, I'll go farther and say that he needs to bench people more often. No harm in making an example of someone. (Hell, Kessel's lack of work ethic drove him out, it was organizational, not just CJ. In fact, he's getting criticized for it in TO now) I wouldn't have minded seeibng Bergeron benched after the Washington after his performance, expecially on the short-handed goal by the Caps.

There are a lot of things I think CJ needs to do better. But with a record as good as what the Bruins are putting up, it's rediculous to me that people think he should be fired for not making these improvements. After all, no matter who you bring in in his place, that person is going to be lacking in some aspect of his game, too. Like I said, there's only 1 Scotty Bowman, and even the best teams have areas they'd like to improve, otherwise there would be the same team winning the cup year after year.

As long as a team puts up decent points, and learns from mistakes over the course of a season (or multiple seasons) there is no reason to fire someone.

But, that being said, he will be fired. It's inevitable. Unless you coach in Calgary or Buffalo, youget fired. But now is not the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Davecarr, so much for that simple yes or no eh.  Your theory about the extreme fans wanting CJ gone is way off, actually the other way around.  People who came on board and are all sunshine and butterflys say why not keep CJ.

Simple Answer, YES!!!

Always rolling 4 lines, team takes off entire periods and doesnt show up to play every night, he leaves an offensive stud (seguin) on the pine and with garbage wingers on a team who hasn't been able to score for 2 years now, he makes a million excuses, everything is status quo all the time (you usually play 15 mins, u always play 15 mins, every game). 

Arguablly one of the most boring systems in the NHL, players can't like playing in this mucker system.  If you're a 4th liner, you love CJ, if you have offensive skill not so much.

This guys gig is old, the team has the same struggles over and over, nothing changes if nothing chhanges.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

WHY IS RYDER ON THE 4TH LINE!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

wow if he was an american league baseball coach he would've just won coach of the year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Davecarr,

You say as long as CJ learns from mistakes over the course of the season?  Have you been watching for the past 3 years?  He does the same exact thing every single game, every single season.  Lose 10 in a row, lines are the same, playing time the same, no changes.  That's the point, if a fan is cool with a pretty good regular season and maybe a 1st round playoff win, Claude is a safe play.  If you want a Cup, bye bye CJ

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

I'm not sure you understand what a "stud" is. Crosby is a stud, Ovechkin, Nash, Stamkos... a lot of names can come up. But an 18 year old with 16 games experience? Stud? No. Will be? I think so, I hope so. But the kid needs to learn to play the right way. He needs to learn 2-way hockey.

Everyone complained that Raycroft was thrown to the wolves too quickly, that Toivonen was rushed and didn't get a chance to develop. Everyone called for coaches heads, GM's jobs, said that future stars were ruined for not being brought up correctly. Now we bring a blue-chip talent up slowly, and people complain that he's not being put in a position where he will score the most points.

I know he was a top 2 draft pick, and I really hate to burst your bubble, but he's no Lemiux. Hopefully he will be a Stamkos, but he's not going to be a stud after less than 20 games, and Julien should be applauded for developing him slowly. The B's have 21 points in 16 games. There is absolutely no need to force him to grow too fast. We've seen too many Bruins prospects burn out too quickly from that approach.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Fire CJ !!!...if the Bruins don't make the playoffs or past the first round.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

N-f'n-O

No

What is worng with some of you people?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsChef. Show BruinsChef's posts

[QUOTE]Fire CJ !!!...if the Bruins don't make the playoffs or past the first round.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

What if they gag on it again in the second round for the third straight season?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you think Julien should be replaced as coach? : What if they gag on it again in the second round for the third straight season?
    Posted by BruinsChef[/QUOTE]

If they don't, I'm sure you'll be heartbroken.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you think Julien should be replaced as coach? : You are the pure defintion of a TROLL. Seeking attention, starting fights, and generally being a P.O.S
    Posted by BruinsChef[/QUOTE]

You popped up a week ago. You drop crass remarks about the Bruins, and about other posters. You've copy/pasted old posts. You called me a pedophile. And now you call me a troll.

And I thought nobody read Orwell anymore.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you think Julien should be replaced as coach? : You popped up a week ago. You drop crass remarks about the Bruins, and about other posters. You've copy/pasted old posts. You called me a pedophile. And now you call me a troll. And I thought nobody read Orwell anymore.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    And that clown has the nerve to be reporting other posters(interesting,intelligent ones at that).all we can do is ignore in the hopes he will dissappear.Notice RMiller hasn't been around lately?Curious..........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, replaced. If Tyler Seguin is still on the fourth line after last night, then anyone  should question this bozo's ability to coach this team.  I mean seriously, after multiple early playoff exits, including an epic 3-0 collapse, I am very surprised he has not been canned already.
    Posted by SoxinBoston[/QUOTE]

So you want an 18-year-old rookie, who acknowledges that he has a lot to learn, to get top-six minutes, even though he's played better in the last two games since his "demotion"?

Please try to pay attention to how the team and the players are actually performing before you question someone's ability to coach.