Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office?

I don't.  If it can get this team a good deadline pick-up, I say go for it.  Boston's front office is probably just going to completely waste the pick anyway.   Boston may have found some good steals in the 2nd/3rd round over the years, but this teams scouting staff has some serious issues identifying high end 1st round talent. 

2000: Lars Johnson (#7 overall) = Bust, never played in the NHL.  Martin Samuelson (#27 overall) = Bust, never played in the NHL.

2001: Shaone Morrison (#17 overall) = Bust, Career #6/7 defensmen, career high of 3 goals.

2002: Hannu Toivonen (#29 overall) = Bust.

2003: Mark Stuart (#21 overall) = No problem with this one, he is a reliable stay at home defensmen.  But did he ever live up to his potential?  Probably not.

2004: N/A

2005: Matt Lashoff (#22 overall) = Bust.

2006: Phil Kessel (#5 overall) = Pretty hard to entierly F' up a top 5 pick in a deep draft, but considering Johnson, Toews, Staal, and Backstrom were the other top 5 picks in that draft, Kessel is the least desireable of all of them.

2007: Zach Hamill (#8 overall) = Bust.

Too early to say one way or the other on Caron, Colborne, or Seguin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from alwaysabruin. Show alwaysabruin's posts

Re: Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office?

I'd hate to see what you would do with the pick. Probably take kessel back

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

P berg,
    exactly,
    how can you relate picks that have nothing to do with the current management, Hamill has been slow possibly is still a "bust" but that was a weak year.. Its not like players drafted before and after him are blowing it up in the NHL at this point and the bruins wiffed..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I do..absolutely especially the way PC acquired the picks for Kessel.. Pure genius as it turned out.. don't you think? Plus, this isn't the same front office that was here in early 2000's...I disagree with your evaluation of PC regime since they took over in 2006 . It's not the same personnell.. It's  easy to call a bust of a late first round pick in any draft year.. There are tons of those guys picked by other teams that have never made it.... I actually hope PC doesn't move the pick, unless it is a deal that blows him  over.. Everyone knows that at trade deadline everyone overpays for rental players.. This would need to be a prized selection that the Bruins can control beyond this year..

If not, then with the first pick of the 2011 draft.. The Boston Bruins are proud to select ..Adam Laarson !! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kessel was the least desirable...which is why he went 5th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

In Response to Re: Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office?:
    [QUOTE]Kessel was the least desirable...which is why he went 5th.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. Great insight on this one !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

In Response to Re: Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office?:
    [QUOTE]I do..absolutely especially the way PC acquired the picks for Kessel.. Pure genius as it turned out.. don't you think? Plus, this isn't the same front office that was here in early 2000's...[/QUOTE]

I think PC has done a great job with trades.  But his scouting staff is mainly responsible for who he drafts.  And even though they aren't related to the pre-2006 busts, they have been almost as bad.  It has been a trend in the organization.  Disregarding what Kessel eventually got us via trade which was a steal, 3-4 years later...are you really happy with only coming away with Kessel and Hamill with two top 8 draft picks?  I am just saying, that draft pick might have more trade value than actual value considering this scouting staffs history of wasting high 1st round picks on one dimensional pond hockey players (Kessel) and career beer leaguers (Hamill) rather than hockey players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Right......even though recently the front office has picked well, we should look at 5 years ago under different management for a sign of how well this group has drafted........sure.

Caron, Colbourne, and Seguin are all NHL players and future NHL players. Hamil, while he hasn't lived up to his potential is not a complete bust yet.

Backstrom, Toews, Staal and Johnson were all picked before Kessel. It surprises you that they are better??????

The Bruins organization was ranked as #7 overall for prospects from Hockey's Future, kinda goes against what you are saying. And by kinda, I mean you're likely wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office?:
    [QUOTE]I don't.  If it can get this team a good deadline pick-up, I say go for it.  Boston's front office is probably just going to completely waste the pick anyway.   Boston may have found some good steals in the 2nd/3rd round over the years, but this teams scouting staff has some serious issues identifying high end 1st round talent.  2000: Lars Johnson (#7 overall) = Bust, never played in the NHL.  Martin Samuelson (#27 overall) = Bust, never played in the NHL. 2001: Shaone Morrison (#17 overall) = Bust, Career #6/7 defensmen, career high of 3 goals. 2002: Hannu Toivonen (#29 overall) = Bust. 2003: Mark Stuart (#21 overall) = No problem with this one, he is a reliable stay at home defensmen.  But did he ever live up to his potential?  Probably not. 2004: N/A 2005: Matt Lashoff (#22 overall) = Bust. 2006: Phil Kessel (#5 overall) = Pretty hard to entierly F' up a top 5 pick in a deep draft, but considering Johnson, Toews, Staal, and Backstrom were the other top 5 picks in that draft, Kessel is the least desireable of all of them. 2007: Zach Hamill (#8 overall) = Bust. Too early to say one way or the other on Caron, Colborne, or Seguin.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]
    Of course PK was less desireable than the other guys.That explains why they were drafted ahead of Phil.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I give abra credit, he has a point. Top picks in the 5-10 range are far from sure things. remember Jonathan Aiken? If Toronto had the worst or second worse record I would be hesitant, but last I looked they were close to passing someone for 6th worse. If it helps bring a difference maker here this year, you gotta to it.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]
    Is that the point he was making?I wasn't sure what he was getting at with that  piece of garbage post

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Yes, I do trust them with this pick.
    If it is in play for a stud then so be it, but if they keep it and its 4 or better, by all accounts they will get a good player (Courtrier, Landeskog, RNH, or Larsson)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

[QUOTE]I give abra credit, he has a point. Top picks in the 5-10 range are far from sure things. remember Jonathan Aiken? If Toronto had the worst or second worse record I would be hesitant, but last I looked they were close to passing someone for 6th worse. If it helps bring a difference maker here this year, you gotta to it.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

That was my point.  I know the current scouting staff has nothing to do with pre-2006 draft selections, just worked them into the discussion to point out  that the organization in general has fallen short in one way or another on just about every first round pick for a decade straight.  This year should be be another top 7 pick or so, there is lots of trade value attached to that.  Seems better to trade it away than risk this scouting staff wasting it on another Zach Hamill, which would seem to have pretty good odds of happening looking at history.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office? : That was my point.  I know the current scouting staff has nothing to do with pre-2006 draft selections, just worked them into the discussion to point out  that the organization in general has fallen short in one way or another on just about every first round pick for a decade straight.  This year should be be another top 7 pick or so, there is lots of trade value attached to that.  Seems better to trade it away than risk this scouting staff wasting it on another Zach Hamill, which would seem to have pretty good odds of happening looking at history.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]

But to be fair, the only top 10 picks in the decade were hamill, kessel and seguin, hamill probably wont live up to the number 8 selection, but was in a bad draft, kessel was a good pick, and seguin we will see..

There is much less value in a later pick (see trading the number 15 pick last year, in what was a great draft)..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsYear. Show BruinsYear's posts

Some of the core players of this team were drafted in the second round by the Bruins...you dont seem to mention that.

Lucic Round #2 #50 overall
    Kejci Round #2 #63 overall
    Bergeron Round #2  #45 overall

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Just as an FYI. Bruins scouting staff has almost completely chaged since Chia's arrival.

Scott Fitzgerald is in his fifth season in the Bruins organization and his first as Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting. Based out of Boston, he scouts amateur prospects throughout North America and Europe who are eligible for the annual NHL Entry Draft.

Mike Chiarelli is in his third season with the Bruins organization. He is based out of Ottawa and scouts amateur prospects in Ontario.

Jack Higgins is in his third season in the Bruins organization. He is an amateur prospects scout based out of Ontario.

Jukka Holtari is in his fourth season in the Bruins organization. Based in Finland, he scouts amateur prospects in Europe.

Denis LeBlanc is in his fourth season in the Bruins organization. He is an amateur prospects scout based in Quebec.

Dean Malkoc
    is in his fourth season in the Bruins organization. He scouts amateur prospects in Western Canada. He played four NHL seasons with Vancouver, Boston (73 games from 1996-97 to 1997-98) and NY Islanders.

Other than them, Adam Creighton has been scouting Ontario for 10 years and I would think he's doing a pretty good job (Seguin, Knight, Spooner). So looking back at the picks this staff has made since 2006, I would say not bad at all!

And if you're only looking at first rounders, I'd say Kessel, Hamill, Colbourne, Caron & Seguin are all NHL players today or soon to be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Abra, you are full of what makes the grass grow green. Ever hear the name Joe Thornton or Sergei Samsonov?? Don't just pick and choose to make your off the mark point. What's so wrong with Hamill?? He didn't grow big enough for you?? Seems that his ability to see the ice and pass backhand to Ryder helped score an important goal. Have you ever tried that move?? This management team has assembled a team that is leading it's division while losing it's #1 center and scrambling the lines so far. You probably think Seguin is a bust, and Marchand, and Kreji. You really are a TROLL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Zach Hammil isn't a bust. He's 23 and progressing pretty good.  We'll see if he develops into a possible #2 Centerman by age 25.

There is nothing wrong with later developing players. 

I thought them picking Kessel and then acting like they didn't like him 2 years later was ridiculous, yes.

Why did they pick him if they didn't like his make up?

Mark Stuart was a good pick as well.

I would aggressively package their own 1st rounder and try to work a deal that way.

If someone drops a slam dunk player in your lap for the Toronto pick,, then I would absolutely consider it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Yes, I trust them fully.  Bradley seems to our best scout.  He was being used to scout at the pro level, but once we got the Toronto picks he was promoted into a position where he has much more control on the players we draft.  From all reports I have read on Spooner and Knight we may have done well in the second round again.  Craig Cunnigham our 4th round pick is having a great season for the Vancouver Giants and making it look like he will have an NHL future. 

I also trust PC to make the right decision when it comes to holding on to the pick or trading the pick. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I trust Chiarelli with the first pick because he didn't already deal it away for a rental and he is the one who got it in the first place. Me thinks he will keep it if doesn't have the right deal in play.

I also believe it is Tambellini that has made the significant offer to PC for it that Dupont and WEEI confirmed this week I feel it in my bones. My 2nd choice of who made the offer for the TO #1 is Dale Tallon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

[QUOTE]Some of the core players of this team were drafted in the second round by the Bruins...you dont seem to mention that. Lucic Round #2 #50 overall Kejci Round #2 #63 overall Bergeron Round #2  #45 overall
    Posted by BruinsYear[/QUOTE]

might want to throw marchand on that list also

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

I trust the staff, this will be a wide open draft. Picks 1 to 9 will give a good player. Keep the pick unless a great deal like Zach from NJ.

Mike Fisher good player but he was not worth giving up a first round pick. Nashville paid far too much for him. I think we will be keeping the pick for our use.

Go B's 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

You know that TO's 1st rounder would not be in the hands of the B's front office if the B's front office had'nt traded to get that pick?  Just Saying............

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

PC got the pick. I trust he'll make the best deal he can. If theres no deal he'll keep it and may even re-visit dealing it come draft time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It may be time to re-think the "Hamill was in a weak draft".  Logan Couture (9th) is the biggest challenge to Skinner for the Calder and may lead the Sharks in goals this year - ahead of Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Pavelski, Setoguchi.  Brandon Sutter is looking at his second consecutive 20 goal season as a checking centre for the 'Canes.  Kevin Shattenkirk has 7 goals and 26 points playing D for the Avs, and will be in the ROY conversation.  Add them to Jamie Benn, Wayne Simmonds and David Perron on the list of guys the Bruins could have drafted who are making a real NHL contribution in year 4 post-draft.  Pacioretty too, I guess.

But what this should really tell you is that three or four years is about the average amount of time it takes even a talented 18 year old to make a dent in the NHL.  If Hamill's audition lasts the rest of the season, and he finishes with .50 pts/game, he won't have developed slowly.  He'll have developed at roughly the same pace as his peer group.  Only a little slower than VanRiemsdyk, who is a marginal player for the Flyers, or Voracek, who may be on the block in Columbus, or Hickey, who has yet to play an NHL game, but plays defense so may have a longer timeline.

As for possibly trading that pick in 2007 - that was a team clearly in rebuilding mode.  Trading the pick would have been dumber than keeping it unless someone was offering something ludicrous - and I doubt anyone was because...it was perceived to be a weak draft year.

I think PC has shown reasonably good judgement when making trades, so I trust that if he trades the pick he'll get reasonable value for it.  One thing he's shown is that he can resist the temptation to simply make the best deal for what he's willing to give up.  If that deal isn't good value for the franchise, he won't take it.  The Recchi deal was an absolute steal - not quite on par with the Kessel deal, but under the circumstances, the Kessel deal was only a question of continuing to feed Burke rope.  For Karsums and Lashoff, they got a veteran PP scorer who is now on their most consist offensive line and a pick they parlayed into Seidenberg's left arm and torso.  Neither of the guys they gave up has much future.  So a top six forward, a top 4 D for two failed prospects.

If they keep the pick, it will probably be in a range where they can't go too wrong, but the draft is always a crap shoot.  So either way, I'm willing to wait and see.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Do you trust TO's 1st rounder in the hands of B's front office?:
    I'd feel a lot better if you were in charge.