Does anyone understand the college rankings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Does anyone understand the college rankings?

How do they do the Div. 1 rankings? I understand a team like BC and NH< being 1 and 2, but how's a team like Cornell, 6-3-2, 7 spots up on Niagara 10-2-4?  Why are my Fighting Sioux (and I'll call them that until the day I die - drives me nuts that they play against the Fighting Irish, but that name is ok) two spots ahead of Quinnipiac, when Quinnipiac has the better record? Just makes no sense to me. Anyone know more about the ranking system?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: Does anyone understand the college rankings?

Because they view the ECAC (Cornell) higher than Atlantic Hockey League (Niagra) and they view the WCHA (Fighting Sioux.....and yes, I agree....it will always be the Fighting Sioux to me too) higher than the ECAC (Quinnipiac).  The WCHA, CCHA and Hockey East are the powers; ECAC produces a good team or two and Atlantic is the D1 whipping boy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=krach

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=pwcrpi

I firmly believe the NCAA basketball and hockey committees always find a way to make a mess of selection sunday every year. Schedule toughness, win loss ratio and how you did in your conference tournament is too simple. When you read the 2nd link there is actually a section called "issues" lol. Yes there certainly is when you consider who runs the NCAA and its confusing rules.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Looked at the links - still as clear as mud. They may as well just throw darts at a board.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And Jalvis, I grew up in Sioux country, my community was sandwhiched by two Sioux reserves and my classmates growing up were predominantly Sioux (approximatly 66 per cent). I've never met one of them that took offense to the Fighting Sioux - nearly everyone in my part of Manitoba was a UND fan (regardless of race), including almost every Sioux national I grew up with (there were two I remember who wouldn't cheer for them because they were Manitoba Bisons fans, even though they were in different leagues). NCAA made the wrong call on that one. It was a source of pride for a lot of Native Americans and Native Canadians (The Sioux nation traditionally does not recognize the American/Canadian border).

Manitoba's a weird place when it comes to sports sometimes - yeah they are Jets and Bombers fans, but sometimnes they seem even more passionate about UND and the Vikings (god help you if you live in Winnipeg and don't support the Vikes).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Red, "Fighting Irish is ok". I hate to tell you this if you watch NCAA hockey you will know who the Fighting Sioux are, outside of that no one knows that name. Everyone knows who the Fighting Irish are, everyone. Jalvis has it correct, play more gm's against teams from those conference's thus you will have a better strength of schedule. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stan my point was about the names - one's fine, and the other is banned. If they're going to get rid of Fighting Sioux, then get rid of Fighting Irish as well. They're both called the UND Fighting "Insert Culture here." It's a double-standard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm a little late here red, but as others have mentioned, I think it has an awful lot to do with conference (and frankly, it probably should).  Cornell has played more impressive opponents in the ECAC than Niagara, by a healthy margin.  I think Niagara will move up if they continue to win, but it will take longer for them to earn the respect of voters when they're beating up on Sacred Heart and AIC, or whoever.  Not a lot of balance in college hockey when you get out of the big 4 conferences (Hockey East, ECAC, WCHA, CCHA).  And among the big 4, I think the ECAC is regarded the lowest -- so a WCHA team like UND gets the nod over Quinnipiac because their opponents have probably been tougher.

Not sure about the mascots/nicknames except to say that there seems to be much more stigma around Native American references to violence than similar refernces to western Europeans.  I think Irish people are proud of their fightin' heritage, whereas some Native Americans see the reference as a traditionally barbaric deption of their people by whites in particular.  That said, I have heard that Sioux tribes did not object to the mascot for UND, so I don't know what all of the fuss is about.  Probably an example of the NCAA trying to be PC and then being locked into having a consistent position, whether each application makes sense or not.

Miami-Ohio is now the 'Redhawks' after a long history of being the 'Redskins'.  It was a self-imposed decision by the school, but certainly one that would have been prompted by the NCAA further down the road.