Does Toronto have Duck Boats???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Does Toronto have Duck Boats???

So I guess the Leafs have everything they need for a Stanley Cup Championship celebration.  I guess all that's left now is to win the thing!

http://nesn.com/2013/07/new-mlse-ceo-already-has-maple-leafs-stanley-cup-parade-route-planned/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: Does Toronto have Duck Boats???

I have no idea why the link isn't clickable.  

#BOSTONSTRONG

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I clicked the link to the full article over at the Washington Post - it was a really good interview and in the context of the whole picture, having the parade route actually makes some sense.

He's trying to completely change the entire culture of MLSE. The only winniing product they have is the Marlies. The Raptors and TFC are horrendous. The Raptors used to be followed by every basketball fan in Canada, but nobody cares anymore. Toronto FC is just a complete joke and their bleeding fans to the Whitecaps and Impact, with Edmonton likely to siphon even more fans when they make the jump to MLS in the near future. And the Leafs, one playoff appearance in 10 years and no trip to the Finals in nearly 50 years.

He has to light a fire under their butts to get his teams out of complete mediocrity, and if having something like a parade route gives them something to aspire to and helps to turn things around, then it seems like a good idea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

A local sports Jock thinks MLSE will try to find a way to charge those attending the parade.

It will be a first. If anyone can do it MLSE can.

Don't laugh! They are owned by Bell and Rogers - The Thiefs of Thiefs (sic)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The team that always makes the biggest free-agent splash (if thats what you call it) and has high expectations usually fails to live up to those. I do feel with Bernier,Clarkson and re-signing Bozak they are improved though. Not sure if Bozak is the number one center they need though. I read they were going to put an offer together and try and trade for Joe Thornton. Not sure if they did or not, him between van Riemsdyk and Kessel would be a nice line for them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

A local sports Jock thinks MLSE will try to find a way to charge those attending the parade.

It will be a first. If anyone can do it MLSE can.

Don't laugh! They are owned by Bell and Rogers - The Thiefs of Thiefs (sic)

I believe you, Don.  That would probably help to explain how a club that hasn't won a championship in almost half a century can sit atop Forbes' list of the most valuable NHL teams.  Only here in T. O.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I clicked the link to the full article over at the Washington Post - it was a really good interview and in the context of the whole picture, having the parade route actually makes some sense.

He's trying to completely change the entire culture of MLSE. The only winniing product they have is the Marlies. The Raptors and TFC are horrendous. The Raptors used to be followed by every basketball fan in Canada, but nobody cares anymore. Toronto FC is just a complete joke and their bleeding fans to the Whitecaps and Impact, with Edmonton likely to siphon even more fans when they make the jump to MLS in the near future. And the Leafs, one playoff appearance in 10 years and no trip to the Finals in nearly 50 years.

He has to light a fire under their butts to get his teams out of complete mediocrity, and if having something like a parade route gives them something to aspire to and helps to turn things around, then it seems like a good idea.

True, red.  Tim Leiweke is coming out of a winning organization having been the former President and CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group in L. A. I think I read this group owned the Kings, Lakers and Galaxy.  With this came a Cup championship, NBA titles and some MLS championships.  He's trying to alter the attitude of the MLSE sports entities and the position of these teams in the public consciousness.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I like the Leafs and their passionate fan base. Wouldn't mind seeing them win the cup if it Boston were to not make it. I still doubt they do any time soon, but anything is possible I suppose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

RHO, I think the most telling quote on Leiweke is this one from the Post article

"If the teams were doing well, I wouldn't have come."

The guy won 9 championships in 13 years when he was in LA. He certainly has a different attitude than we've seen in Toronto since, well... ever. He sounds like he took the job precisely because they suck so badly and wants to embrace the astronomical challenge of turning that around.

I also like this quote about the Boston series.

"(It was) the best that could have happened to (the Leafs). I think they need a few ***kickings, and that's one that will stay with them for a long time. I think it will pay huge dividends in the long term no matter how painful it was."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I was asked last summer by a bloke from Scotland, How much David Beckham raised the interest of soccer in America.

I put my palm out and asked what is in my hand, he said "nothing".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I was asked last summer by a bloke from Scotland, How much David Beckham raised the interest of soccer in America.

I'll disagree, slightly. I think he raised interest reionally, particularly the West Coast, or more specifically the Pacific Northwest. Soccer's popularity has really exploded in recent years in BC, Oregon, and Washington. Did Beckham have a role in that? I don't know, but it couldn't have hurt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll disagree, slightly. I think he raised interest reionally, particularly the West Coast, or more specifically the Pacific Northwest. Soccer's popularity has really exploded in recent years in BC, Oregon, and Washington. Did Beckham have a role in that? I don't know, but it couldn't have hurt.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the 12 people in the US who care about soccer is "exploding."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Sounders average home attendance is 43.144 - a sell out. Vancouver's average is a sellout, although with fewer seats. That's a relative explosion in the PNW compared to historical norms.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The Sounders average home attendance is 43.144 - a sell out. Vancouver's average is a sellout, although with fewer seats. That's a relative explosion in the PNW compared to historical norms.

Not sure what Revolution attendance is, but I can tell you 90% of the people there arent americans. Legally at least.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well, admittedly Vancouver, Seattle and Portland are all pretty weird towns. ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Vancouver, to me, is a European city and I could see why they have great attendance.

PS. Red, you need to check out the thread "Bruins exhibition schedule released today". A real nice surprise in there for you....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Now I get blasted for not staying on the subject, then I read this divergent discussion?? 

Toronto deserves a better team, I always adhere to the thought if a team acquires players it must take a year or so before the TEAM is a team.  Philly lives this scenario each year.  Did Toronto have success with Boston, or did Boston not play well?  Who knows?  One does not surmize that Toronto is a SCF team with a heartbreaking loss, and then seemingly by signing a few players.  No comparison to Boston 2010 needed either. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think when Burke finally said enough of this "whole panel" of owners making decisions for the GM and the hockey club. The whole culture changed. He didn't want to sign Komosarik & Finger to those ridiculous deals. That was mostly "Petty & his clan". Since Burke put his foot down, Nonis now actually has made some decent decisions.  

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

He didn't want to sign Komosarik & Finger to those ridiculous deals. That was mostly "Petty & his clan". 

It's hard for me to imagine Burke letting anyone tell him what to do. I don't know about this one nite.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think when Burke finally said enough of this "whole panel" of owners making decisions for the GM and the hockey club. The whole culture changed. He didn't want to sign Komosarik & Finger to those ridiculous deals. That was mostly "Petty & his clan". Since Burke put his foot down, Nonis now actually has made some decent decisions.  

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

Unless there's a statement from Burke to the contrary i believe he was solely responsible for the Komisarik,Grabovski & Finger deals, all horrible contracts in my opinion. 2 firsts and a second for Kessel isn't that great a deal in my view either. I'm sure when BB signed his contract with MLSE he wanted and recieved full autonomy. He just made some very stupid moves.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

I like the Leafs and their passionate fan base. Wouldn't mind seeing them win the cup if it Boston were to not make it. I still doubt they do any time soon, but anything is possible I suppose.

You wouldn't like them so much if you lived in Toronto.  Passionate equals misguided.  I may have to move if the laffs win.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

He didn't want to sign Komosarik & Finger to those ridiculous deals. That was mostly "Petty & his clan". 

It's hard for me to imagine Burke letting anyone tell him what to do. I don't know about this one nite.

Chowda do you remember who Bill Waters was? He's on the NHL Radio a lot & I heard him say this after BB was fired. I don't think he'd lie, but it is also very possible that I misunderstood & he was saying his opinion not fact. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chowda do you remember who Bill Waters was? He's on the NHL Radio a lot & I heard him say this after BB was fired. I don't think he'd lie, but it is also very possible that I misunderstood & he was saying his opinion not fact. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes I know who he is.

An opinion is not a lie nite. I'm guessing it was that.

Brian Burke had full control of the Leafs. With his personality, there's no way an executive above him with no hockey experience would pressure him with what players to bring in. 

IMO Burke would quit before he'd let that happen.

He was not a puppet GM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

IMO Burke would quit before he'd let that happen.

He was not a puppet GM.

Nope

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The team that always makes the biggest free-agent splash (if thats what you call it) and has high expectations usually fails to live up to those. I do feel with Bernier,Clarkson and re-signing Bozak they are improved though. Not sure if Bozak is the number one center they need though. I read they were going to put an offer together and try and trade for Joe Thornton. Not sure if they did or not, him between van Riemsdyk and Kessel would be a nice line for them.

What about signing chara?   

For as much as the leafs did by bringing in those guys they also have to be excited for guys like kadri and another year for some of their young def.   bolland is gonna be a very good find for them.  They are fast as we saw, they are now more physical and have guys that will go through a brick wall to win.  I see them as very much improved over last year.  Which is a team that pushed us to 7 and as Cam said the hockey gods were on our side in those last 10 minutes.  

I think sometimes that adding the right pieces is just as important as the head line ufa signings.  I dont think clarkson will ever live up to that contract.  But the leafs or any team are much better with him in the lineup.  The comparisons to wendell clark are just insane.