Doug Jarvis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Doug Jarvis

A big part of the reason the Bruins are such a strong team is their dominance in the faceoff dot. Whether it's Bergeron, Krejci, Kelly, Peverley, or Campbell if the Bruins win another Cup the number of faceoff wins these guys get and the resulting puck possessions will be a huge factor in that victory. Well, over at CBC, Julien has put that faceoff dominance largely on the shoulders of Jarvis.

When it comes to winning draws, the Bruins have dominated all post-season long. They kept up that trend in the series opener by winning 32 of 48 faceoffs. Boston's top three centres each enjoyed solid games in the faceoff circle. Chris Kelly went 9-3 followed by David Krejci (5-1) and Patrice Bergeron (10-6).

Julien remarked that assistant coach Doug Jarvis deserves credit for the team's faceoff prowess.

"I know I get asked this at every series about our team because we've been a good faceoff team and we practice it all the time," Julien said. "Doug Jarvis was a really good faceoff guy in his day.

"I used to do that work with our centremen. But he was the guy that I felt this year would help us a lot in that area.

"There's certain players that were maybe average who are better than average now because he's gone in there and worked with those guys. But we work on faceoffs a lot with our centremen and take a lot of pride in that.

"I said it and I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but start with the puck. You're a better puck possession team than if you have to chase it."

But it's more than the centremen winning draws. The Bruins have exhibited an excellence in getting in there and retrieving pucks off draws

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Doug Jarvis

Good stuff. It amazes me how most teams can't seem to figure out that they need to jump in and get the puck between two tied-up centers. Boston has it down to a science.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Jarvis also is a former Selke award winner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Klaas's comment:

Jarvis also is a former Selke award winner.

And he also has one of my favourite records - 964 straight games. A durable, defensive stalwart who was a tough beat on the dot. Sounds like a great fit with this club's centres - glad they're listening to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Game 1, the CBC announcer mentioned that the Bruins were known as the biggest faceoff cheaters in the NHL.

I say to that, it's not cheating if you don't get caught, I call it smart hockey !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

Game 1, the CBC announcer mentioned that the Bruins were known as the biggest faceoff cheaters in the NHL.

I say to that, it's not cheating if you don't get caught, I call it smart hockey !

PJ Stock also said though, if you're not cheating, you're not trying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Tell that to your spouse and see how that goes over lol

9. This post has been removed.