Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboman88. Show zamboman88's posts

Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.

If this kind of hit is what gets you 10 games then there will be no hitting in hockey inside 5 years.  What a complete over reaction.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboman88. Show zamboman88's posts

Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Everything is wrong with that hit.  He made no contact with any part of the guy's body except for his head.  And he used his elbow.  Blindside.  With an injury.

Bad hit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I dont think this hit desserve a 10 games suspension ...max 3 games ...same for Marchand , that was 0 game suspension ...hockey is going toward a total different direction ...and yes in less than 5 years there will be no more hit ...it will become a no contact sport and it will lose all its excitment ....so lets enjoy our 3 Stanley Cups in a row with players like Looch, Zdeno, McQuaid, Thornton, Horton, ...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

That was a goon hit.  He clearly could have planted that guy on his bottom with a clean check.  

The 10 games is a result of the NHL influence over the minors.  It seems they are truly focusing on cleaning up the garbage hits at the lower levels, before these guys are up in the bigs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.:
    [QUOTE]I dont think this hit desserve a 10 games suspension ...max 3 games ...same for Marchand , that was 0 game suspension ...hockey is going toward a total different direction ...and yes in less than 5 years there will be no more hit ...it will become a no contact sport and it will lose all its excitment ....so lets enjoy our 3 Stanley Cups in a row with players like Looch, Zdeno, McQuaid, Thornton, Horton, ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

If you thought Rome deserved a 4-game suspension during the Cup Finals for the  hit on Horton, you can't complain about a 10-game regular season suspension for Hamilton's hit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

It was a cheap shot. If that had happened to Bergeron or any of our favorite Bruins people would be screaming from the mountain tops. Too many of our great players have been lost already to cheap b.s. hits like this one. Anybody who thinks that hitting will not be allowed in 5-10 is full of it. Hockey is and will remain a contact sport. Its just that today's players are all very strong; been working out all year with weights, these guys are like linebackers on skates, so the impact of hi hits to the head have become career ending (see, Lindros, Savard, Crosby - quite possibly, as a few examples).

Hamilton appears to a great young talent and I, as I'm sure all Bruins fans do, look forward to him wearing the spoked B in the near future. Let's hope he learns from this suspension. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carltetus. Show carltetus's posts

Cheap shot like Cooks on Savard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

At some point, these guys have to think, "Wow, I had better stop doing that."

Anyone who throws any hit to the head in today's hockey world is a dope.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Bad hit

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension. : If you thought Rome deserved a 4-game suspension during the Cup Finals for the  hit on Horton, you can't complain about a 10-game regular season suspension for Hamilton's hit.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    apples and oranges my friend. the only reason that rome got 4 was that horton exited the playoffs after that hit(missing 4 games). 4 = 4. believe me it was probably for his own safety also. it saved the league a lot of problems. that series was chippy enough without having rome get beat up a few times. using the rome suspension as gauge for this hit is nonsensical. now if a similiar hit with injury happens during the playoffs... compare all you want.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

to the actual hamilton hit now... definitely a blind side hit deserving of suspension. but my question is, has dougie been disciplined before? this seems like a length given to a repeat offender. anyone know? you'd think there would be a progression... 1 or 2, then 5, then 10 or something along those lines. or maybe this is a statement being made by the OHl/ NHL.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]to the actual hamilton hit now... definitely a blind side hit deserving of suspension. but my question is, has dougie been disciplined before? this seems like a length given to a repeat offender. anyone know? you'd think there would be a progression... 1 or 2, then 5, then 10 or something along those lines. or maybe this is a statement being made by the OHl/ NHL.   
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

you can't compare chl and nhl suspensions.  a guy in junior can get a 1/2 season suspension for something when the same hit in the nhl would get 5 games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Dougie Hamilton 10 Game Suspension.:[QUOTE]Everything is wrong with that hit.  He made no contact with any part of the guy's body except for his head.  And he used his elbow.  Blindside.  With an injury. Bad hit.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Another instructional video of what a text book blindside hit to the head is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Bad hit!. You can't do that. Period.

It bugs me that guys skate around with their heads down now, but we are loosing players at an epidemic rate, so these hits have to go. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Have a seat, kid. Deserved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]At some point, these guys have to think, "Wow, I had better stop doing that." Anyone who throws any hit to the head in today's hockey world is a dope.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yes.  But I think in the junior ranks these kids are trying to get noticed and make splashing plays.  The NHL as a league in my eyes is to blame but I am a broken record on that. Three strike rule.
    1st time- 5 games
    2nd time- 10 games
    3rd time season over.

If the league really wants to make a stance then something drastic is needed.  If not the league is going down the crap per.  They won't let the players handle it. 
    Once again.  I say the league is a joke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I can't see the youtube clip very well for some reason, it's very choppy, but it looks bad.  From what I can see he had the guy lined up for a good clean hit, but then aimed for the head for no good reason.  It looked like the player was still in possesion of the puck, but again my clip is choppy.

I am very disappointed in Hamilton.  Very.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

From any point of view - it's bad.

It appears that he was caught up ice and was scurrying back into position when this "opportunity" happened.

I think it is more David Steckelish than Matt Cookeish.

However, this is completely out-of-character for Doug Hamilton.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Definately a cheapshot.  But 10 games is way to much.  That looked like a 2-4 game infraction to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Its better for him to get 10 games in junior (dont they always hand out stiffer punishments?) than it is for him to have gotten 1 or 2 in the NHL. Especially considering he would be tagged a "repeat offender" by shanahan and get 5+ games for non penalties for anything else he did afterwards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Its better for him to get 10 games in junior (dont they always hand out stiffer punishments?) than it is for him to have gotten 1 or 2 in the NHL. Especially considering he would be tagged a "repeat offender" by shanahan and get 5+ games for non penalties for anything else he did afterwards.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

exactly, junior is the place to learn what is acceptable and what isn't.  hopefully he'll learn from this and move on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Its better for him to get 10 games in junior (dont they always hand out stiffer punishments?) than it is for him to have gotten 1 or 2 in the NHL. Especially considering he would be tagged a "repeat offender" by shanahan and get 5+ games for non penalties for anything else he did afterwards.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

Junior and minor hockey is where is should begin.  Problem is the officiating the lower you go is worse than the NHL(obviously).   But Major Junior is a perfect starting point for serious suspensions.  I actually think junior hockey handles it better than the NHL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I agree this is a bad hit.  I think he deserved the suspension.  I am glad they are taking this out of the game.  I think clean hitting will always remain and to imply otherwise is probably a tad disingenuous in most cases.

Is there still a responsibility to an offensive player in today's game to keep themselves out of vulnerable positions.  When we were kids playing Pee-Wee thru High School hockey isn't this when we returned to our benches and the coach yelled at us to keep our heads up. 

I remember during one tryout my town brought in a checking instructor.  I am not exagerating when I tell you that this guy taught our forwards to turn there backs on an approaching player in order to avoid hits and draw penalties.  Not surprisingly, there was a major back/neck injury in that tryout and the town felt the need to bring in other instructors to reteach us how to take a hit and protect ourselves.

I worry that skill players will start to feel like they are safe from hitting if they simply skate around in circles with there heads down. 

I'm ready to be lambasted here but I still want to know if you all think I am way off base.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Yea, his head was down entering the O-zone.  But, Doug should have known he was in a vulnerable position.

I think if he took the same hit from a defensemen stepping up it would have been called a legal hit.  The key element was it was a hit to the head from back-pressure.