Ekman-Larsson 6 years, $33 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ekman-Larsson 6 years, $33 million

Just curious as to everyone's take on this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418295

$5.5 million per year. Fair?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Ekman-Larsson 6 years, $33 million

$33M to a 21 year old player who has 17 career goals and one full season under his belt?

Pure lunacy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

He had 13 goals and 19 assists last season and is starting to look like an elite D. I like this player a lot but I think I'd want to see his trajectory continue for a bit longer before I handed him a deal anywhere near 6yr/33m. This is why Phoenix is Phoenix. Maybe they feel like they needed to lock up what they hope will be one of the best D in the league before he gets to the point where he walks or they have to pay him even more to get him to stay with their lousy franchise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

I think this kid is going to be the real deal, but 3rd year in the big leagues and you give him almost 6mill? I hope this kid becomes a monster and not another Scott Gomez after recieving his huge contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

$33M to a 21 year old player who has 17 career goals and one full season under his belt?

Pure lunacy.

I agree...Once again , the owners throwing around money like drunken sailers. Can"t feel sorry for these morons. The kid has alot of upside , but this kind of money very early in his career.....what was the purpose of the lockout again ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Yandle available now?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good young defenseman, but c'mon, lets see how good he's really going to be before he gets a contract like this. Looks to me like the Cap is going down next year but player salaries are going up. I'm no math major but to me that signifies trouble.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is why I was surprised that the NHL dropped everything but 50/50.  I thought Bill Daly was telling the truth (no, I didn't) when he said the owners would die on the mountain of contracting reform because what they have now is a game of chicken with young players.  Ekman-Larson has been mentioned as a potential Norris candidate after the first 24 games.  That's like being named a Miss Universe candidate when your mother has morning sickness - a little early.  But it's fodder and profile for him if he makes it to RFA.  Some teams are locking up their young players very very early in the hope that they'll be getting a deal vs. what they'd pay to match an RFA sheet.

I also continue to believe we're seeing these deals around the time the NHL would be giving teams consolidated revenue projections, and revenue will be higher than projected.  So the Cap may go down next year as per the agreement, but it will be pegged to revenue after that, and if teams think they'll be right back to a $70M cap in two years, then they'll find a way to squeeze the fat for a year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Essentially the NHL is indeed giving this kid the money with the ownership still in turmoil.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

"That's like being named a Miss Universe candidate when your mother has morning sickness - a little early"

Thats awesome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Are Ekman-Larson and P. K. Subban comparable players? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

A little surprised by this - there hasn't been a more fiscally responsible GM in the league than Maloney, mainly because he's had no other choice, with the league forcing him to run that team basically at the floor. He has 12 free agents's coming up and with the ownership stupidity it's not like it's a high destination signing spot.

However, even with this signing, the Dogs are still well below the floor going into the offseason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Then Subban was right to hold out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Subban must be horrified yet elated.  He's going to rake in two summers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Beezfan4life's comment:

I agree...Once again , the owners throwing around money like drunken sailers. Can"t feel sorry for these morons. The kid has alot of upside , but this kind of money very early in his career.....what was the purpose of the lockout again ?

To lower the cap and move hockey related revenues to 50/50.

This contract, while surprising, fits fine within the new CBA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Subban must be horrified yet elated.  He's going to rake in two summers.

Which is what I was implying when I mentioned him.