Elite Finally Defined: Vancouver, Philly, Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Elite Finally Defined: Vancouver, Philly, Detroit

Going into the final 3rd of the season you can get an idea of what the ELITE  teams look like...you look at performance over the first 2/3rds of season, you look at who is injured, and you finally get clarity.

Clearly..Vancouver, Philly, and Detroit are the teams to beat.

The Bruins are in that next grouping--somewhere between 4 and 10 but its a tightly bunched group.

Chiarelli's moves will determine where the Bs fall in that 4 through 10ish neighborhood.

The Bruins need to get a.) Better...and b.) Lucky if they want to go the Finals.

As it stands they will NOT have an easy 1st round playoff series. They may BARELY be favorites in Round 1.   It may very well be Round One versus Montreal..a 3-6 where the division winner gets home ice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Re: Elite Finally Defined: Vancouver, Philly, Detroit

In Response to Elite Finally Defined: Vancouver, Philly, Detroit:
    [QUOTE]Going into the final 3rd of the season you can get an idea of what the ELITE  teams look like...you look at performance over the first 2/3rds of season, you look at who is injured, and you finally get clarity. Clearly..Vancouver, Philly, and Detroit are the teams to beat. The Bruins are in that next grouping--somewhere between 4 and 10 but its a tightly bunched group. Chiarelli's moves will determine where the Bs fall in that 4 through 10ish neighborhood. The Bruins need to get a.) Better...and b.) Lucky if they want to go the Finals. As it stands they will NOT have an easy 1st round playoff series. They may BARELY be favorites in Round 1.   It may very well be Round One versus Montreal..a 3-6 where the division winner gets home ice.
    Posted by dogwhacker[/QUOTE]

I agree with this post completely.  This is precisely why I don't want to mortgage our future for this season.  I much prefer to save our commodities until we are in the Elite group or clearly within reach of it given a move or two.  I do not believe any tade even one that Nets Richards would make us Elite this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Re: Elite Finally Defined: Vancouver, Philly, Detroit

Thanks Ricky.

The 1 little footnote to my post is..only ONE of the "elite" teams is in the East...sooo...Philly runs into a hot goalie or whatever and gets knocked off and all of a sudden you're in "we're as good as anyone left" group to get into the Stanley Cup Finals.

Its a really tought situation for Chiarelli.  My take is--the Buyers here will have to overpay to get Value--probably overpay by a lot. 

Philly I think made a really smart move "going for it now" with the Versteeg Trade...they paid full price because they can legitimately say, after Malkin went down and questionable Crosby that THEY are the Elite East Team and Versteeg COULD be the one piece to put em over the top.  So it makes sense.

I don't think Chiarelli can approach this the same way.  We have a "clarity" we didn't have 8 weeks ago.  Savard is clearly gone...Krejci has regressed....all of a sudden a team stocked with Centers is Center Lite....and in desperate need of a puck mover...AND a Top 6 Sniper Forward...and they risk running Timmy Thomas into the Ground because Goaltender Depth isn't what it was a few months ago.

There have been some marvelous upside surprises like Marchand --and Bergeron has gone from their best player overall--to THE BEST Player Period.

You've got a Flawed Team that probably has a good a chance at getting to the Finals as it does getting knocked out in Round One.

Glad I'm not the GM.