Eriksson, Smith, Morrow, and Fraser

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Eriksson, Smith, Morrow, and Fraser

They are all putting up pretty good stats.  Here are the numbers so far-

Smith-21GP, 3G, 10A (third overall on the Bruins in scoring)

Eriksson-16GP, 4G, 6A

Morrow- 15GP, 2G, 9A

Fraser-15GP, 11G, 2A

Who is your favorite of the bunch?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Re: Eriksson, Smith, Morrow, and Fraser

Yeah, nothing crazy. 

The thing that kinda surprises me is to see Smith as 3rd in scoring.  As a prospect, I didn't expect that much from him for a few years.  He is hanging in there with the big boys though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I love Smith.  I imagine over the course of the season Eriksson will prove the more valuable player for this team.

I know nothing about Morrow or Fraser except that knowledgeable users like them as prospects.

Who do you like or is this a thinly veiled "I love Seguin thread"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Smith and Eriksson are prototypical Julien type players. Niether are going to command #1 center minutes because they aren't that type of player. I've said it before and say it again, Chiarelli raked it in on that deal. The Dallas Stars will make the playoffs maybe once or twice in the next six or seven years, one n done. Unfortunately we'll have to hear from the resident Shab/Bud troll that "Seguin was really flashy".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Trolls are gonna troll

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Eriksson's skill game has been for sheet so far - chemistry and decision-making are the most likely reasons - but what I've really liked is how many of his points have come because he was inches from the blue paint.  Goals have gone in off of him and they've gone in because he was hit by the puck and it came to a wide open Bruin shooter.  He's having an impact by doing the right things in Julien's system even though he's got a lot more to give based on stick skills etc.  That's the core distinction between hitting and being physical. Gotta be physical and able to take some punishment to you're going to go where he goes to make those plays.

Smith has been a pleasant surprise.  I don't expect him to keep up the scoring pace, but I think he's been extremely versatile.

I haven't seen Morrow in Providence, but, after a slow start in terms of numbers, he's put up some points.  His issue is defensive play, they say, so that might not matter.  Have to think, though - the longer he's in the Bruins system, the more likely he'll be able to put it together so that the offense isn't totally crushed by teh defensive game.  I hope.

Fraser, I just have no idea.  The goofy goal total driven by a "celebrate with your junk out" game (4 goals) is great, but what it means for his prospects as an NHLer is anyone's guess.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Far and away, Smith. Eriksson has been as advertised - good, if somewhat boring but very solid. But Smith has been outstanding. He has good physical talent but even better mental game. His creativity gives him top-6 potential. The way he works with his teammates makes me think this isn't a hot start in terms of production, but rather just scratching the surface. He reminds me a lot of Krejci. If Eriksson is like a Bergeron and Smith like a Krejci this trade looks good even if neither are a Seguin in terms of high end talent. As far as the other two, Fraser has a world class shot and release (and thus his great AHL goal totals) but from what I saw in pre season he thinks too slow to ever make the NHL on a top team. Morrow I've never seen but those are decent stats and he was a first rounder so I guess there is potential.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just for fun:

Eriksson + Smith = 23 points.  Combined salary $5.15M.

Seguin (this year) + Chris Bourque (last year) = 27 points.  Combined salary $6.5M.

Point being, even if Seguin was scoring at the same pace in his old slot, the guy who replaced him, plus the other guy they got who has blown away the guy who started in that spot last year, are putting up comparable stats for less money with room to grow.

Incidentally, Seguin has the same total as Eriksson and Smith combined.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Eriksson couldn't have put up 70 points because he sucks. He couldn't score 36 goals because he sucks. He would have been the leading scorer on the Bruins for 3 years running (starting in 09'-'10 and through '11-'12). He's got talent, and he just needs to gel with his linemates. His numbers aren't terrible by any means offensively, and while he doesn't have plus speed, his smarts defensively and his ability to win puck battles with his stick is actually very impressive. He makes plays on a routine basis that remind me of the play Jagr made to end game 3 against Pittsburgh on Malkin. His numbers will come; I'll start getting worried when the playoffs are around the corner, but I don't mind what I see so far.

Reilly Smith is definitely the gem of the trade, though. Obviously putting up those numbers with 3rd line minutes with (good) third line players is impressive, but the creativity that he shows is equally impressive. And even though he's small, he uses every pound of his body.

Fraser? Strictly going by numbers (Never seen him play), Fraser seems like he's a one-trick pony. An 11-2-13 stat line is just ridiculous. Maybe there's some solid potential there, but seems like he'll need to develop. The Bruins play too much of a possession game to where you can't get away without being able to pass the puck.

Morrow? Unfortunately, the Bruins have 3 really good young, 2-way defensemen. He may be a solid trade piece moving forward, or a good call-up moving forward, or a replacement if a guy like Bartkowski moves on in free agency.

Overall? I'm one who just thinks both teams made out pretty well in the trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just for fun:

Eriksson + Smith = 23 points.  Combined salary $5.15M.

Seguin (this year) + Chris Bourque (last year) = 27 points.  Combined salary $6.5M.

Point being, even if Seguin was scoring at the same pace in his old slot, the guy who replaced him, plus the other guy they got who has blown away the guy who started in that spot last year, are putting up comparable stats for less money with room to grow.

Incidentally, Seguin has the same total as Eriksson and Smith combined.

[/QUOTE]

Book let me understand this correctly you are comparing seguin to 2 players?  If this is so you mean if a team trades a 40gs for example and they get 5 ten goal Scorers the team who got the 5 10gs Is  winning the trade.  

I'm quite sure you don't mean that

[/QUOTE]

I'm comparing Seguin and a fill-in to two legit NHL forwards.  That's what the Bruins had last year out of the two positions currently occupied by Eriksson and Smith.  So I mean that if you have $6M to spend on two roster spots, it may look flashier to have one guy who scores 40 and one guy makes the minimum and just tries not to trip on his jock, but in terms of team production, getting the same 40 goals split 25/15 from those two roster spots isn't a bad option.  The team still gets the same number of goals, and you've reduced the risk that the one guy trips on his jock or the flashy guy gets hurt or checked into submission. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Smith with another goal tonight.  That's 4 points over the past 4 games.

He's on pace for like 15G and 45A.  Not too shabby.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

My expectations for Eriksson were pretty high. So, yeah, maybe I'm a little disappointed. But I wouldn't call his play bad by any stretch. Meanwhile, I didn't have any expectations for Smith and thought he has been great so far. And Iginla was made to be a Bruin. I only regret we didn't get him last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

oh marco. how does he spell it out any simpler. 

I'm so torn on this trade. Value wise, I'm not happy about it mainly because I'm a seguin fan. However, this trade was so good for the organization. The bruins value depth, and contract value over the big name stars, and it works for them. In my opinion they got four guys that are, or are going to be good to very good NHL players. Eriksson will wind up with 25+ and 70+ so he's my favorite of the trade. Smith close second. Love his game. Perfect third line solution, let him and soderberg man the wings for years to come. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I went to the game yesterday afternoon thought smith looked good to me. He might be the unexpected surprise player in the deal. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I went to the game yesterday afternoon thought smith looked good to me. He might be the unexpected surprise player in the deal. 

[/QUOTE]

Hope So cuz loui is no pleasant surprise that's for sure

[/QUOTE]

He hasnt played bad. His numbers are below what i would have expected, but I assume that will change.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hope So cuz loui is no pleasant surprise that's for sure

[/QUOTE]

He hasnt played bad. His numbers are below what i would have expected, but I assume that will change.

[/QUOTE]

Looks like you might be a little too easy in him . I didn't think much of him but most did and no where near their expectations.  Evena couple of his goals are what we can say garbage goals.  He's had way enough time now its time to put out

[/QUOTE]

you really are judging him way too early, and there are a few problems with this. first. you're a stats guy. nothing really wrong with that but from your history on these boards it seems like you're generally of the opinion that the more points a player gets the better the player is. your opinion and that's fine, but that's not the bruins/julien/PC way. secondly, every players have stretches of 10-20 games when they are less than dominant. Pump the brakes. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I was at the game yesterday as well, also thought Smith looked good.  Teamed up with Soderberg, they were buzzing around the Canes net all game.

Also thought Eriksson played well.  It was great to see him live, still think he is a very good player and fits in better with this team's style. 

In terms of numbers, it will never be apples to apples when looking at this.  Eriksson's TOI is down 13% and his PP TOI is down 35% from LY in Dallas.  70 points is something he accomplished in Dallas 3 times.  He will probably never do it in Boston, as the team has not had a 70-point guy since Savard/Krejci in 2008-2009.  The team's leading scorers (Lucic/Krejci) are on pace for 60.6 points. 

In the end, the only "Points" that matter are in the standings.  The Bruins are built for wins and playoff success. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:[QUOTE]

Also thought Eriksson played well.  It was great to see him live, still think he is a very good player and fits in better with this team's style. 

In terms of numbers, it will never be apples to apples when looking at this.  Eriksson's TOI is down 13% and his PP TOI is down 35% from LY in Dallas.  70 points is something he accomplished in Dallas 3 timesHe will probably never do it in Boston, as the team has not had a 70-point guy since Savard/Krejci in 2008-2009.  The team's leading scorers (Lucic/Krejci) are on pace for 60.6 points. 

In the end, the only "Points" that matter are in the standings.  The Bruins are built for wins and playoff success. [/QUOTE]

Trolls that like to rag on the Bruins about the Thornton/Kessel/Seguin trades, don't care about TOI, coaching styles and Championships. Montreal and Toronto fans want to hang on to the past and find reasons like "Gregory's Daddy conspiracy theory"or  Seguins' #1 center TOI in Dallas compared to his role in Boston mean nothing. Trolls hate statistics!

They have to ignore facts above too hang onto some hope that the Bruins organization is heading in some sort of wrong direction. It's false because Hamilton, Rask, Eriksson and Smith are proving too be right by looking at the standings.

When Eriksson and Marchand get out of their offensive funks, the Bruins will start operating like a machine. Boston is already separating itself from the East with a somewhat clanky 2nd line.

Remember the November/December runs of 2009 and 2011 ?

It's about too happen again!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trolls are gonna troll

[/QUOTE]

True - they have tremendous stats perrenial all stars. Sorry  now that's more realistic! !

[/QUOTE]

dude. you're a troll, don't try to hide it. own it. 

25. This post has been removed.