Evaluating the Division

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Evaluating the Division

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't buy that our top 6 got better. Horton and Iginla are a wash but I think Seguin is better than Eriksson. There is also no way to know when iginla will lose his legs. 

What in the world would lead you to believe that Seguin is better than Eriksson as of today? There's not a shred of evidence to support that assertion. 

[/QUOTE]

I watched two hockey players play, I thought Seguin was the better of the two. Just my opinion, not trying to force it down anyones throat, but this thread is about evaluating. This is how I evaluate those two players. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't buy that our top 6 got better. Horton and Iginla are a wash but I think Seguin is better than Eriksson. There is also no way to know when iginla will lose his legs. 

What in the world would lead you to believe that Seguin is better than Eriksson as of today? There's not a shred of evidence to support that assertion. 

[/QUOTE]

I watched two hockey players play, I thought Seguin was the better of the two. Just my opinion, not trying to force it down anyones throat, but this thread is about evaluating. This is how I evaluate those two players. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just can't figure out how someone could've watched Eriksson play a significant amount and come away thinking that he wasn't as good as Seguin currently is. I get that it's just your opinion. I was just hoping you'd provide some insight as to how you reached that conclusion. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

i think the D pairings wind up as such 33-27, 44-55, 43-54

So krug starts in the playoffs but doesn't during the regular season ya that makes sense. Kid was running the pp in the playoffs and you would sit him on the bench good job as the gm. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]

Montreal added Briere and Parros.

Detroit Stephen Weiss, Daniel Alfredsson

Rangers  LW Benoit Pouliot, C Dominic Moore, D Aaron Johnson

Philly C Vincent Lecavalier, G Ray Emery

Pittsburgh D Rob Scuderi, LW Chris Kunitz (re-signed), RW Pascal Dupuis (re-signed), C Craig Adams (re-signed)

Say goodbye to: LW Matt Cooke, RW Jarome Iginla, RW Tyler Kennedy

Washington Say hello to: No one

Say goodbye to: C Mike Ribeiro, C Matt Hendricks, RW Joey Crabb, D Jeff Schultz

Toronto RW David Clarkson, C Dave Bolland, C Tyler Bozak (re-signed)

Say goodbye to: LW Clarke MacArthur, C Mikhail Grabovski"

Toronto will challenge but that is all in the East I see giving the Bruins trouble. Detroit is tuff but I don't see them taking the Bruins in a 7 game series.

None of these teams have the deep center brigade of Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly/Soderberg and Campbell and this is what I think helps separate the Bruins from the others.  Here in Toronto the Bozak signing was pretty big.  Presumably he's their top line C followed by Kadri then Bolland with Jay McClement centering Orr and McClaren on the fourth line. 

IMO Bozak, at best would center Boston's third line.  The Bruins will be in the thick of things at the top of the conference despite what I anticipate are forecasts from some who predict a backslide due to changes in the roster.

[/QUOTE]

Det has a nice center set up, pitt has two of the best centers in the world and sutter, philly isnt too shaby either.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

[QUOTE]

i think the D pairings wind up as such 33-27, 44-55, 43-54

So krug starts in the playoffs but doesn't during the regular season ya that makes sense. Kid was running the pp in the playoffs and you would sit him on the bench good job as the gm. 

[/QUOTE]

Lets see how he does during a long season.  He still has to make the team.   Hes not a gimme spot yet.  He had some pretty big gaffs as well.  ie stanley cup final game 1.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Got to agree with Shupe here in that only the moves by TO will give the B's any extra problems. Clarkson and Bolland are solid additions and Bernier is an upgrade in net. Good moves by Nonis, let's give credit where credit is due (and this is coming from a long-time Bud hater....lol).

Of course, the season does not start tomorrow and many things can happen in the next few months.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

None of these teams have the deep center brigade of Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly/Soderberg and Campbell and this is what I think helps separate the Bruins from the others.  Here in Toronto the Bozak signing was pretty big.  Presumably he's their top line C followed by Kadri then Bolland with Jay McClement centering Orr and McClaren on the fourth line. 

IMO Bozak, at best would center Boston's third line.  The Bruins will be in the thick of things at the top of the conference despite what I anticipate are forecasts from some who predict a backslide due to changes in the roster.

Det has a nice center set up, pitt has two of the best centers in the world and sutter, philly isnt too shaby either.  [/QUOTE]

Pittsburgh added Scuderi to a team that got swept by the Bruins. The Flyers haven't recovered since Pronger went down, added Lecavalier, Streit and Emery.

I see no vast improvement from either. Boston, NYI, NYR, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Detroit make the playoffs in 2015, No philly cheese steak.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OntarioBs. Show OntarioBs's posts

I must admit at first I felt a little at unease, ....loosing Seguin,..Horton , Ference ( never thought I would say that) ,......picking up Iggy and Erickson,?????

but after a few days , and some  Tyler tweets.......starting to sink in that this will be a hard working team lead by the ultimate warrior (Bergeron),..we will NOT miss Seguin, Horton wants a quiet life, (good luck with that ), Khudobin ( never knew ya) ,.....

Bottom line, we are already a contender,..

Top Line - Iggy ( motivated) over Horton
    1A - Eriksonn overall upgrade from tweet boy

Third line ,..huge potential , Full year of Soderberg, Kelly , ( one of Caron, Smith, Fraser, Spooner)

Merlot

Kids on D,..Hamilton will be that much better, dog fight between Bart and Krug

Rask and Svedberg ( who will easily beat out Johnson)

Things look pretty bright,..

And who knows what else we may add ,...liking !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

Det has a nice center set up, pitt has two of the best centers in the world and sutter, philly isnt too shaby either.  [/QUOTE]

Pittsburgh added Scuderi to a team that got swept by the Bruins. The Flyers haven't recovered since Pronger went down, added Lecavalier, Streit and Emery.

I see no vast improvement from either. Boston, NYI, NYR, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Detroit make the playoffs in 2015, No philly cheese steak.

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  One series.  It got swept by a bruin team where AF was every bit as important as chara or anyone.  No horton, no seguin, no jagr, no peverly.  Different team next year that will run out rookies on def as well.  

Pitt also has young guys that will get a chance.  Beau Bennett is good.  you may not see value in adding scuderi but he will partner up and settle down letang.  Their 5 def are good.  I dont take anything away from pitt.  Its a solid club.  The caps essentially have the same team as well that beat us in 7.  Means diddly pooh for next year.  

I agree on philly, i do see an upgrade though.  Vinny big body leader who can still play as your 2nd line center, lots of young guns with another year under their belts.  Streit helps in puck movement.  Philly def last year would have been good in the 80s.  Todays nhl you need to skate and move the puck.  Streit upgrades their def for sure, vinny is an upgrade over briere, emery is an upgrade over anything bryz could do.  

I think most teams in the east got better, caps with a healthy erat n laich will be good, young def, full season of oates who really did well.  Carolina will be better as well.  The east is powerful.  

But i agree i dont think they are massive earth shaking differences.  But sometimes no change is good.  Hawks- no deadline deals.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to OntarioBs' comment:

I must admit at first I felt a little at unease, ....loosing Seguin,..Horton , Ference ( never thought I would say that) ,......picking up Iggy and Erickson,?????

but after a few days , and some  Tyler tweets.......starting to sink in that this will be a hard working team lead by the ultimate warrior (Bergeron),..we will NOT miss Seguin, Horton wants a quiet life, (good luck with that ), Khudobin ( never knew ya) ,.....

Bottom line, we are already a contender,..

Top Line - Iggy ( motivated) over Horton
    1A - Eriksonn overall upgrade from tweet boy

Third line ,..huge potential , Full year of Soderberg, Kelly , ( one of Caron, Smith, Fraser, Spooner)

Merlot

Kids on D,..Hamilton will be that much better, dog fight between Bart and Krug

Rask and Svedberg ( who will easily beat out Johnson)

Things look pretty bright,..

And who knows what else we may add ,...liking !!!

As much as they look bright to you which is great there are a hek of a lot of unknowns.  Rookie dmen are very hard to predict for starters.  And we have an aging blueline that can look slow against fast clubs.  Agree on lines 1-2.  disagree for now on line 3.  Need a kelly bounce back and good production from soder and someone.  Thats a lot to ask.  Plus the new guys on lines 1-2 must adjust.  I think it should be smooth but not a given.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The only team in the East that scares me are the Wings. Bernier is an unknown at this time. Highly touted, but hasn't had the chance to show he's the real deal. Could end up being a Justin Pogge. Montreal added an enforcer, big whoop! Pitts gained Scurdi which is a bonus, but they still have goalie issues. I see nobody in the East that sends shivers down my spine. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OntarioBs. Show OntarioBs's posts

Rookie dmen are very hard to predict for starters.  And we have an aging blueline that can look slow against fast clubs.

[/QUOTE]

I see both Krug and Hamilton as second year players ( I know bit of stretch) but I think they know what it takes and Bart is motivated to win a spot, or is a great trade option.

We still have a year or two from Chara and Sieds (  NAS - reason  I  use nicknames is I cannot remember how to spell their names !!!) Boychuck and McQuiad are pretty steady ,...Boychuck has the shot to offset the odd gaff,...

agian, I think it looks good

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You got one who's been called one of the most underrated players in the game who's averaged almost 70 pts for 5 straight seasons & the other who hasn't lived up to his potential. I can see where you'd get which one is better yea! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"no peverly.  Different team next year that will run out rookies on def as well"

You really did mention Peverley didn't you Nice. A Bruins rookie defensman played in the Pittsburgh series already and Bartkowski played the whole series against New York.

Who is still in net for Pittsburgh ?

Nothing will settle down Letang but Letang. I like those odds in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to stanjon's comment:

[QUOTE]

toronto, ottawa and detroit have gotten better. montreal the same. The bruins have gotten worse, but I still think they are the best team in that "conference"

You lose your top scorer 2 yrs ago and 2nd top scorer last year. You also lose your top playoff performer so how can the bruins be the best in conference?  

[/QUOTE]

Our top scorer that still scored less points than the guy we traded him for?

We lost our top playoff performer? Where did David Krejci go? He's still listed as being on the roster... (SARCASM)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

"no peverly.  Different team next year that will run out rookies on def as well"

You really did mention Peverley didn't you Nice. A Bruins rookie defensman played in the Pittsburgh series already and Bartkowski played the whole series against New York.

Tallinder going back to buffalo is similar.  you ever have a glove for ball that felt perfect.  Scuderi and Tallinder are those gloves for letang and myers.  

Peverly had a brutal year.  So did Kelly.  Both very important bc they gave you minutes.  They kill penalties.  Those minutes need to be replaced.  pt being that peverly was part of a group of guys from a cup winning and runner up team.  Replacing them isnt as smooth a transition as you may think.   Its easy to say put caron and soder in there.  its another thing for them to mesh and play well together.  

You preached to me early last year that our def was fine with the 6 we had. I kept saying you cant rely on hamilton especially come playoff time.   Hamilton started out great.  Watched majority of the playoffs.  No reason we cant rely upon bart, hamilton and krug.  But if you think they wont have speed bumps next year....well, i will use numerous dman and our very own hamilton as proof that you never know what you will get from rookie dmen.  2 of those 3 will be in the lineup every night.  Seidz, chara and boychuk are the only steady dmen we have right now.  McQ isnt very good.  His foot speed is brutal.  Love his physical game and is a perfect bottom pairing.   

So for the bruins next year there are a lot of unknowns just like the rest of the teams that lost a lot and got new guys.   

Pitt was already the best regular season in the east prior to adding those guys.  They resigned the core guys on great deals.  Kunitz dupi make 7 million between them.  goalies, hot today, terrible tom.   Fleury i think is lost but will still get them wins.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Tallinder going back to buffalo is similar.  you ever have a glove for ball that felt perfect.  Scuderi and Tallinder are those gloves for letang and myers.  

Peverly had a brutal year.  So did Kelly.  Both very important bc they gave you minutes.  They kill penalties.  Those minutes need to be replaced.  pt being that peverly was part of a group of guys from a cup winning and runner up team.  Replacing them isnt as smooth a transition as you may think.   Its easy to say put caron and soder in there.  its another thing for them to mesh and play well together.  

You preached to me early last year that our def was fine with the 6 we had. I kept saying you cant rely on hamilton especially come playoff time.   Hamilton started out great.  Watched majority of the playoffs.  No reason we cant rely upon bart, hamilton and krug.  But if you think they wont have speed bumps next year....well, i will use numerous dman and our very own hamilton as proof that you never know what you will get from rookie dmen.  2 of those 3 will be in the lineup every night.  Seidz, chara and boychuk are the only steady dmen we have right now.  McQ isnt very good.  His foot speed is brutal.  Love his physical game and is a perfect bottom pairing.   

So for the bruins next year there are a lot of unknowns just like the rest of the teams that lost a lot and got new guys.   

Pitt was already the best regular season in the east prior to adding those guys.  They resigned the core guys on great deals.  Kunitz dupi make 7 million between them.  goalies, hot today, terrible tom.   Fleury i think is lost but will still get them wins.  

[/QUOTE]

Just as the Habs got into the Bruins heads for years, the Pens will now have doubts come playoff time regardless of how the regular season goes. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Dez, i agree, sometimes teams just play good agaist other teams.  The regular season we lost a couple oe goal games to them.  

I like what the bruins are doing.  Eventually youth has to come in.   I think krug is perfect with McQ and hopefully will replace chara for good on the pp.  im hoping hamilton can handle and excel in top 4 minutes as well as pp pk.  Bart and Morrow give us 4 young dmen.  Krugs and Barts experience does wonders next time around.   

I despite the over use of posts on rask believe he is a keeper.  We have a young guy in subban who could be doing the same thing in 4 yrs.  

as for our fwds im not as sold on the young next generation fwds.  I love our core.  That 3rd line. scares me.    Another fwd i love that if he isnt signed is chad larose.  I think once the cap hit of rask is settled you could see a move like that to sure up the 3rd line.  moving paille seems like the logical thing at this pt.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"McQ isnt very good.  His foot speed is brutal.  Love his physical game and is a perfect bottom pairing.   

So for the bruins next year there are a lot of unknowns just like the rest of the teams that lost a lot and got new guys."

The Bruins "unkown" will have the regular season to work it out. Bartkowski did fine against New York, Krug did great with no expierence and McQuaid isn't going anywhere becuase he was steady.  Redden didn't need to be used becuase Julien saw that the three, just mentioned, worked well as they got more icetime.

Pittsburgh lost more depth in forwards and gained one player on the blueline. Alfredsson and Weiss don't concern me in a 7 game series niether does Howard. Those two teams did not gain on the Bruins.

Toronto will be trouble, they were without the moves they made.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

"McQ isnt very good.  His foot speed is brutal.  Love his physical game and is a perfect bottom pairing.   

So for the bruins next year there are a lot of unknowns just like the rest of the teams that lost a lot and got new guys."

The Bruins "unkown" will have the regular season to work it out. Bartkowski did fine against New York, Krug did great with no expierence and McQuaid isn't going anywhere becuase he was steady.  Redden didn't need to be used becuase Julien saw that the three, just mentioned, worked well as they got more icetime.

Pittsburgh lost more depth in forwards and gained one player on the blueline. Alfredsson and Weiss don't concern me in a 7 game series niether does Howard. Those two teams did not gain on the Bruins.

Toronto will be trouble, they were without the moves they made.

Detroit didnt have to gain.  They took chicago to 7 and lost in ot.  Detroit will be a beast in the eaSt.  Adding your boy weiss and alfie is huge for them.  They have a solid def and decent goalie. I think they are perfect fit for the east.  Young, skilled, puck possession team.  

im not trying to give you a hard time about the back end.  But putting min 2 young dmen plus McQ is open for debate but cant be proven until maybe mid way pt.   hamilton in a shortened lock out year knows what im talking about and he has much higher end talent then either bart or the under sized krug.  I also think morrow has a chance to win a spot outta camp bc of this.  All positives.  Its a nice position to be in.  But come with risk and heavy minutes for chara seidz and boychuk. 

Pitt lost some depth and its being replaced with youth.  Sound familiar.  Bennett is a force and likely cracks the top 6.  Pitt isnt done either.  They will add another depth fwd.  one willing to go there on the cheap and run in a year.  Pitt also has juice for a full year who can slide into top 6 minutes for them.  I personally feel pitt is better.