Even with the B's in first place, cant seem to get going as a fan.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Even with the B's in first place, cant seem to get going as a fan.

Not sure what it is with this season, but Im just not feeling it this year with the B's. Hockey this year just hasnt been exciting for me, nor has watching the B's. I still have the games on, but I dont seem to be as involved like I have been in years past. Also, I use to watch every game, this year, not so much. Maybe things will be different come playoffs, but up to this point, the season has been a big old YAWN for me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Re: Even with the B's in first place, cant seem to get going as a fan.

In response to bgrif008's comment:

Not sure what it is with this season, but Im just not feeling it this year with the B's. Hockey this year just hasnt been exciting for me, nor has watching the B's. I still have the games on, but I dont seem to be as involved like I have been in years past. Also, I use to watch every game, this year, not so much. Maybe things will be different come playoffs, but up to this point, the season has been a big old YAWN for me.

It's CJ's style game . You either like or you don't

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Been going to write a few lines on something I feel is directly proportional to your general malaise for a while now.

I think collectively, the fan base is starting to "get it" a bit better, and as a result, what often happens in the regular season becomes well....a "yawn".

Despite everyone understanding the fact that good teams have bad games, and good teams have slumps, these boards would have been on fire with venom over tonights game, or for that matter a few in the last month.  That creates drama, and as much as I hate that personally, I know it's what gets a lot of people engaged.

It's always been a fact.  Outside of qualifying for the playoffs, everything else about the regular season doesn't mean much, if you're championship material.  I think if it becomes apparent the Bruins will have some difficulty making the playoffs, your overall interest will go up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Part of it could be left over from last season.  It was an intense season.  Each week was stacked with game after game.  The team was winning after getting booted in the first round the year before. 

And then the super intense playoff run.  That Toronto series took two years off my life.  The build up to Pitt and the Rangers.  All the emotion.  All the discussion.  ALl the cheers and the heartache.

And then they got to Game 6 and lost.  Doesn't matter how they lost. They lost.

And it was over.

I'm not excited for this year partly because I'm still deflated from last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I can't relate to the feelings on this thread.

I look forward to every game.

Watching Bruins hockey is awesome .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Ive been the same way kinda laid back on the games, i dont really scoreboard watch or pay attention to where they are in the standings like i use to, i think its a bit of expecting them to be a top team and maybe im afraid they will fail. I know a large part of me doesnt like a couple of players on this team, admittingly one is marchand, i see more bad than good from him. Most top teams have an exciting player or exciting line, i dont see one with the Bs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins have had some juggernaut November/December in recent years but this season the games were grinder wins. What I take from the OPs statements is the Bruins aren't a pretty puck possession team during games. Anaheim, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Vancouver and Colorado can amaze at times through a game with tape to tape passing and highlight goals.

Boston just isn't that type of team, even when they are healthy. Second place is second place. The Bruins are there because they are good, just not pretty doing it at times but they get it done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Part of it could be left over from last season.  It was an intense season.  Each week was stacked with game after game.  The team was winning after getting booted in the first round the year before. 

And then the super intense playoff run.  That Toronto series took two years off my life.  The build up to Pitt and the Rangers.  All the emotion.  All the discussion.  ALl the cheers and the heartache.

And then they got to Game 6 and lost.  Doesn't matter how they lost. They lost.

And it was over.

I'm not excited for this year partly because I'm still deflated from last year.

[/QUOTE]

My exact exact feelings. 

I still watch every game, some live but I will not have high expectations.

I love hockey ! I still play it twice a week,  never miss the WJC and this year there's the Olympics . There are other outlets .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I guess its somewhat refreshing to see Im not the only one. I wish I was more like Chowda this year, like I have been in years past. Its just not there. Also, Im usually playing mens league hockey and have taken the past 3 sessions off. Just have no interest in playing and its spilling over into the watching of hockey. I guess Im just going through a slump. Thing is, I have nothing else preoccupying my time. So its not like something is getting in the way of me watching. Im not trying to be a debbie downer, just struggling to get into hockey this year.  But as NAS said, maybe last year is still affecting my lack of interest. If thats the case, maybe a shortened season would be better. Puts more emphasis and importance on the games played.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What?!?!  How can you say the B's don't have "an exciting line or an exciting player"?  There aren't that many players in the league I like to watch get wound up like Lucic.  Krejci can turn things in a heartbeat.  Iginla is looking more and more like a guy who is playing himself into game speed (finally), and when that line gets the cycle going, I'm on the edge of my seat for minutes at a time.  I love the way Smith will power to the net off the wall, and I love that Bergeron is doing it more often - like the kid is rubbing off on him.

It's a power team, not a finesse and speed team.  I get more excited by the power game than the dipsy doodly skills competition junk that the Canucks and Scabs are better at.

I do understand the reduced urgency of the regular season, though; probably agree with steve to some degree that expectations have changed, so attitudes have changed.  There's a lot of stupidity in what I think of as standard ESPN thinking - the Rusty school of perspective where you should draft Mario Lemieux with the first overall pick every year.  A few bad games?  Fire all coaches.  Gotta make a change.  Can't fire 20 players.  (I love that one.  You don't need to fire 20.  Trade a couple of comfortable sacred cows or send them to the minors.  Change people's roles.  A smart coaching staff can tweak the system to the personnel if they have the GM's backing to ensure they players know they have no choice but to buy in.)  We also underestimate the impact of the Cap on conventional wisdom - nowhere more evident than in the perception that you should give Seguin 10 years to grow up, sit on him and play him at RW until Bergeron or Krejci retires or gets injured.  Oh, and pay him like a #1C. 

But I digress.  Watching every game is awesome.  But watching playoff hockey when your horse has a shot?  Different grade of narcotic altogether.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I like watching this team.  A primary reason I like watching this team is because there are no controversial players.  No frustrating players to watch.  No Kessel, Wideman or Seguin to debate about, or even a Jagr.  Nobody whose game you can pick apart and simultaneously shows upside.

It's consistent hockey, it's good hockey, it's meat and potatoes defense first, it's rarely a lot of goals.  It's not sexy, but the job is getting done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I think we are talking the likes of Orr, Espo Bucyk, HoodgrmMacKenzie, Stanfield and a guy who I think sored 20 goals whose name I can't even remember. Oh and Turk, how can I forget?  Once in a while  I drive by a Jesus Saves sign south of Winston Salem NC, and heathen that I am, I always say to myself, Espo scores on the rebound!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Sorry Hodge, too much New Years eve

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What?!?!  How can you say the B's don't have "an exciting line or an exciting player"?  

----------------

Amazing isn't it. This team is filled with exciting players to watch.

Excitement is not lacking when watching the Bruins for me these days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Perhaps you have a low ETL, Excitement Tolerance Level

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Perhaps you have a low ETL, Excitement Tolerance Level

[/QUOTE]

Or low excitement level.  When Dennis Wideman or Jay Pandolfo got the puck my heart rate would go up.  When Seguin got the puck in the playoffs I'd have to work overtime coming up with excuses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I got like this with the Red Sox. Used to be a huge fan, could rattle off anyones batting average at anytime, from Marty Barrett to Todd Benzinger.Hardly ever missed a game. Not sure what happened. I want to say it was the steroids, I would watch just about every Braves game on TBS just because it was a game on TV. Never missed a Baseball Tonight show and would stay in the car if Gammons was coming on.

I've tried going over to over to the Sox forum and contributing, but my heart just isnt into it..Hopefully it comes back. I do like watching Tulowitzki and Longoria play and find myself checking in on Manny Machado. I loved baseball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I do think it can be cyclical, even with different sports, interest level goes up and down

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The only difference I feel so far this year is I'm on more of an even keel with the Bruins.  It used to bug me a few years ago when they lost - especially those games they'd come out flat.  

Guess I'm more used to their consistency and experience in most situations to know any dip in play more than likely won't be a long one.                           

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I get that way with Pats Rich, but with one game a week , its even worse

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to bgrif008's comment:

Not sure what it is with this season, but Im just not feeling it this year with the B's.

I agree.  I think it's a combination of signing Iginla after the blatant disrespect last year (I can't stand watching that line), Seguin being gone, Chicago trumping our defense with offense, and expectation of winning another Cup.

I still can't believe Chiarelli signed Iginla after what he did last year.  That seems like it goes against everything the Bruins are about.  I know forgiveness etc., but that doesn't mean you have to let the guy join your team.

Seguin, well that's self explanatory.  The kid was outa control and didn't care.  He got his payday.  And, cleary he looked injured during the second half of the playoffs last year.

Chicago's offense trumping Juliens defense in game 6 was crushing.  I thought for sure the B's would win that game and go on to win it in Chicago.  Watching Toews raise the Cup in the Garden was tramatizing.

But, even though I still feel this team should have won last year, ultimately I think injury was the king-maker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

I guess I'm with Chowda, Bruins sweater on and pumped up for every game. The arrival of Smith and Soderberg definitely helped with the game 6 hangover.

If anything were to diminish my enthusiasm, it would have to be the injuries to some key personnel. The Erikkson, Kelly and Seidenberg situations tend to cast a bit of a shadow on things, but the young guys have stepped up with good efforts in their place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

What a difference a week makes: I don't know about you, but tonight is the first time in a loooong time I'm interested in staying up late and watching a West Coast game. I really want to see the Bs and Ducks go at it, even if both teams are still battling injuries. Flip the calendar and I'm all in.

The rest of January as a whole is going to grab everyone's attention - ANA, LA, SJ, TOR, DAL, CHI, LA, PHI, NYI, FLA, MTL. That's an epic set of games. Bring it...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Win, lose or draw. Good, bad or indifferent. 

I've been listening or watching just about every game since 1967. I'm not going to change!