Favorite B's over the years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Re: Favorite B's over the years

In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years:
    [QUOTE]I am predominantly from the Neely/Bourque 80's era. I did love the brief PK dominance of Poulin/Reid and have always been a Rick Middleton fan...
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    ah, Dave Reid.  great choice and i"ll have  his jersey on  tomorrow.  not only was  he good PK  also  have good offensive numbers in the playoffs and won two Cups,one with Dallas and one with Ray B. in Colorado

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : ah, Dave Reid.  great choice and i"ll have  his jersey on  tomorrow.  not only was  he good PK  also  have good offensive numbers in the playoffs and won two Cups,one with Dallas and one with Ray B. in Colorado
    Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]

He also had an absolute killer wrist shot. Underrated player. I felt he could have won a Selke somewhere in there.

When you think about that line he played on with Dallas, wow.

Reid, Nieuwendyk, Langenbrunner

About as good a checking line as you'll find.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : ah, Dave Reid.  great choice and i"ll have  his jersey on  tomorrow.  not only was  he good PK  also  have good offensive numbers in the playoffs and won two Cups,one with Dallas and one with Ray B. in Colorado
    Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]

He was one of many recent Bruins to have to go to another team to have a shot at the cup. I would kill to for the B's the team other good players want to go to to win....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Nothing personal to Steve Heinze and Ted Donato, but those two will always be classic "he's a local guy so he's really a 1st or 2nd line player here in Boston and fill seats with their friends/relatives buying tickets" move by Jacobs. It's pathetic they were expected to be elite performers here. Ugh.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

To be fair to Heinze he did have a couple 20 goal seasons and was good on the PK. Donato was finished once he tried to kick Chris Simon in the face with his skate.

But second liners....nope.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerjack. Show jerjack's posts

In Response to Favorite B's over the years:
    [QUOTE]I've been looking through the new book my Wife got me, Black and Gold - 4 Decades of the Boston Bruins in Phototgraphs. It's a picture book (insert jokes here) by the Team's Photog, Steve Babineau. It covers from early the 70s, when Orr had longer hair, so my era of players. So it got me thinking of who my favs were. Here's my list. Bobby  - No explaination necessary Reggie Lemelin - The goalie who did it. HE Beat Them! Cam Neely - Again no explaination necessary, but he used Pat Roy as his personal bytch goalie, and for that alone he gets my vote. 50 in 44 works too. Milan Lucic - I know this is an early pick, and he might not end up with his number raised to the Rafters, but I don't go for a beer when he's on the ice. Stan Jonathan - Just one of those things. After he dusted Moose Dupont, he made the list. I'm not going with an Honourable Mention List. You other made the Top 5 or didn't. Your turn.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : That is not funny. When Moe hits Larry with a pipe wrench, it's funny, but your list is really like a skull being crsuedh with a pipe wrench. Just not funny.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I couldn't help myself, just surprised it took so long for someone to go there. 

I sit alone now, in shame, wearing my Hamill #52 jersey with only a glimmer of hope for redemption.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : To be fair to Heinze he did have a couple 20 goal seasons and was good on the PK. Donato was finished once he tried to kick Chris Simon in the face with his skate. But second liners....nope.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I realize that, but Heinze wasn't really the reason for 20 goals.  lol

Overachiever/local kid = Jacobs/Sinden Wet Dream

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Cheevers, Reggie Lemelin. (No love for Doug Keans, everyone?)

Orr, Bourque, Brad Park.

Cashman. The sublime Rick Middleton. The terribly underrated Don Marcotte (who never won a Selke, which is a crime). Barry Pederson. Neely, O'Reilly (no-brainers). Wensink and Jonathan because they could beat you with their fists their skills too (both had seasons of more than 25 goals, and this was back in the day when 20 goals was a good season). My all-time favorite Bruins moment was when they played Buffalo in the fall of 1978 and the Sabres brought up a rookie, Larry Playfair, to add toughness to their lineup. On Playfair's first shift in the NHL, he ran into Wensink behind the net, and Wensink knocked him into never-never land. Check it out of YouTube:

Look how quick Wensink is to summon help onto the ice for Playfair.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Anyone mention P.J Stock?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerjack. Show jerjack's posts

1. Ray Bourque
    2. Phil Esposito
    3. Stan Jonathan
    4. Johnny "Pie face" McKensie
    5. Bobby Orr
    6. Cam Neely

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite B's over the years : I realize that, but Heinze wasn't really the reason for 20 goals.  lol Overachiever/local kid = Jacobs/Sinden Wet Dream
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I agree.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Neely
    Middleton
    O'Reilly
    Oates
    Plett (Loved his one season- wish he had him earlier)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i guess i've matured in the past few years cuz i'd rather have paille play on the 4th line instead of thornton. but back in high school (late 80s) i loved these guys.  
             miller
             byers
             shoebottom
             neely (when he fought more and scored less)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Even though the resulting penalty, series defeat, and trade out of town weren't great, McLaren is the man for that clothesline hit on Zednik, almost took his head off! Also haven't seen anyone mention The Rat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Sorry, I can't stop there, I always had a soft spot for John Carter, Ted Donato and the magic that Bob Joyce and Janney brought that first year.  Might as well throw a little Stevie Kasper in there too!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Dereck Sanderson and Gerry Cheevers! What a couple of Warriors!
    Doc

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownbliss. Show btownbliss's posts

Dmitri Kvartalnov

[what a hockey name]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oleme. Show oleme's posts

No one mentioned Turk Sanderson or the Chief.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Darn I wish I was alive to see the 70's bruins. anyways I'm gonna fire off some B's goalies from 80's on let me know if I miss some Moog Peeters Lemelin bailey Blue Tallas Moffatt Riggins Carey Keans Lacher Ranford Billington McDonald Thomas Rask Raycroft Hackett Dafoe Potvin Grahame Just off the top of my head sure i missed some obvious ones.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    These aren't all from the 80's, but your list jumped to different decades. Here's some that you missed. The ones in bold are goalie's from the 80's. Vinny Riendeau, Belanger, Craig, Vachon, Baron, Sylvestri,  Reese, Brooks, Berthiaume, Cheveldae, Scott Bailey, Mike Bales, Ron Grahame= Ray Bourque

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

grigory pantaleev...simply magical

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Every name i can think of is mentioned here accept a guy names noran levillie. Not sure if its spelled right. thsi guy before he went down with a brain aneuirsim was leading the league in scoring as a rookie i beleive, yes even ahead of gretsky. A huge loss for the Bs as was the the len bias ? i think with the celtics.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Favorite B's over the years:
    [QUOTE]I've been looking through the new book my Wife got me, Black and Gold - 4 Decades of the Boston Bruins in Phototgraphs. It's a picture book (insert jokes here) by the Team's Photog, Steve Babineau. It covers from early the 70s, when Orr had longer hair, so my era of players. So it got me thinking of who my favs were. Here's my list. Bobby  - No explaination necessary Reggie Lemelin - The goalie who did it. HE Beat Them! Cam Neely - Again no explaination necessary, but he used Pat Roy as his personal bytch goalie, and for that alone he gets my vote. 50 in 44 works too. Milan Lucic - I know this is an early pick, and he might not end up with his number raised to the Rafters, but I don't go for a beer when he's on the ice. Stan Jonathan - Just one of those things. After he dusted Moose Dupont, he made the list. I'm not going with an Honourable Mention List. You other made the Top 5 or didn't. Your turn.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

My #1 is #4...the TRUE Great One.

I was a huge fan of those hard working and hard luck mid to late 70's teams, so, in no particular order:

Rick Middleton. In my alternate fantasy reality, his goal against the Habs in game 7 stands as the game-winner.

Gilles Gilbert.  Not the best Bruins goalie (not even close), but I LOVED the stand-up style, the crazy 20-feet out from the crease wanderings, the acrobatics, and always will I remember how brilliantly he played in the infamous 1979 Habs series. Again, in my alternate reality, he emerges victorious.

Brad Park. Kind of a strange pick, but I loved that he never tried to fill Bobby's skates (how could he?), yet gave it his all even when his best days were behind him. Also: The Game 7 OT winner vs. Buffalo, 1983.

After that:

Ray Bourque. The talent. The toughness. The passion. The humility.

Cam Neely: Other than #4, is there any player who needs less explanation?

Honorable mentions:

Craig Janney: Somehow an underrated and almost forgotten, yet brilliant player. Best passer until Adam Oates came along, and arguably as good or better. His game winner in game 7 1988 vs. NJ is a thing of absolute beauty.

Adam Oates: I love playmakers. I loved watching this guy play. He and Neely were insane together. The off-the-face-off game winner in the Buffalo playoff. The short blade on the stick to make his passes more accurate. And calling out Harry Sinden for being the skin-flint lackey for Jacobs that he was in the early days of the decline of the empire.

Rosie Ruscizca: Because I like saying Rosie Ruscizca. (and he was just fun to watch.)

Patrice Bergeron. No flash, just smart, aggressive, hard-checking, never-say-die 2-way hockey. If there's any justice in the hockey universe, he gets to hoist the Cup as a Boston Bruin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Charlie Simmer, Dave Andrechuk, Moe LeMay, Greg Sheppard... and the now infamous Rob Cimetta - I thought he was a can't miss!!  Also have to mention one of my all time favorites - Bobby LaLonde - 5 feet nothin' and 100 lbs soaking wet!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

My top 5 favorite B's are Orr -- the best EVAH, Captain Cashman, the Taz (Terry O'Reilly, as class a person as there has ever been), Gerry Cheevers (who epitomized the carefree B's of the 70's) and "the Turk", Derek Sanderson, who was as great a color man as he was a player ("I think he lost a few chicklets in thet fight Fred!"   LOL). I would have Honorable mention for a few though, including Espo and Hodge, without whom we would be perhaps 70 years removed from a cup, not 39.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

finally!...was worried if anyone was going to mention The Turk or The Chief....loved everyone off of those halycon days in the seventies....I think about the only one not mentioned was Fred Stanfield.....loved those forwards...obviously, Hodge, Cash & Espo...Stanfield, Pie and the Chief, Turk, Ed Westfall and Swoop Carleton/Ace Bailey...my god. hockey ruled in the hub ...WBZ on Sunday nights!!!!