Fedun's leg

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Fedun's leg

Now that we have yet another player with a shattered femur (an injury that in some cases can be potentially fatal if the break severs the femural artery) will the league finally look into no-touch icing? Maybe before someone dies?

Olympic hockey is one of the most exciting sports tournaments in the world. The fact they have no-touch doesn't diminish the game, but it makesit an awful lot safer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Fedun's leg

In Response to Fedun's leg:
    [QUOTE]Now that we have yet another player with a shattered femur (an injury that in some cases can be potentially fatal if the break severs the femural artery) will the league finally look into no-touch icing? Maybe before someone dies? Olympic hockey is one of the most exciting sports tournaments in the world. The fact they have no-touch doesn't diminish the game, but it makesit an awful lot safer.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red, I actually don't like the no-touch icing. I like that a player can out-hustle an opponent to negate an icing. I counted at least 10 plays in the 1st period against Ottawa in which just such a play occurred. I think the players just need to apply common sense to the situation and Shanahan needs to harshly punish those who don't. That said, I realize my opinion is that of the minority and change is eventually likely. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Lets get rid of fighting, players having to go back and touch for icing...while we are at it lets get rid of slapshots..how many broken feet,orbital bones do we need to have before someone gets killed...Lets get rid of hockey sticks, how many lost teeth, stitch marks, eyes being poked out do we need...Lets get rid of skate blades, how many jugular veins need to be severed before someone actually dies..It's called hockey...Olympic hockey is exciting becuase the best players in the world are on the same sheet.

Lets get rid of all these soccer moms who push for the pussification of everything. .

*** When I say soccer moms, not refering to just females, refering to the people who change everything in the name of safety and safety alone..
    EXAMPLE: Why are (at least where I am) 10 and 11 year old boys wearing face gaurds on their batting helmets and playing with a soft baseball? I'll tell you why, because little Johnny who doesnt have an athletic bone in his body took 32 m.p.h fastball off his nose and got bloodied..Here come the soccer moms..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Fedun's leg:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Fedun's leg : Red, I actually don't like the no-touch icing. I like that a player can out-hustle an opponent to negate an icing. I counted at least 10 plays in the 1st period against Ottawa in which just such a play occurred. I think the players just need to apply common sense to the situation and Shanahan needs to harshly punish those who don't. That said, I realize my opinion is that of the minority and change is eventually likely. 
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm on the other side, Dez.  Two guys skating to a wall at full speed.  It's dumb.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Here's where no touch icing helps most, and for this reason alone the NHL should implement it.

End of game with goalie pulled icings.

The touch up can take a LONG time - I've seen as long as 7 seconds with a bad bounce.
    Or
    4 icings at 3 seconds a pop, 4 - 12 seconds off the clock.

Effectively, the team that ices the puck with an empty net is still killing some  clock, those seconds really matter.

AT LEAST they should implement no touch icing for the last 3 minutes of the game or maybe no touch icing when there's an empty net.

Looks like someone will have to die before they do something which is what brought about the no touch rule in Europe
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lud%C4%9Bk_%C4%8Cajka

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

NAS are you saying the two players are not intelligent enough to understand that if you are competing for the puck on an icing situation could end up in an injury?  I am having problems with boston.com sign in right now, thus the indirect response, but Kelvanna33 has the right attitude, except for the last line of course.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS are you saying the two players are not intelligent enough to understand that if you are competing for the puck on an icing situation could end up in an injury?  I am having problems with boston.com sign in right now, thus the indirect response, but Kelvanna33 has the right attitude, except for the last line of course.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they're aware of it, but it's their job, so they do it.  I've raced for pucks to prevent icing.  It's honestly one of the scarier instances in any sport I've played.  One bump, an errant stick, a dirty opponent and you're a dead man.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]NAS are you saying the two players are not intelligent enough to understand that if you are competing for the puck on an icing situation could end up in an injury?  I am having problems with boston.com sign in right now, thus the indirect response, but Kelvanna33 has the right attitude, except for the last line of course.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Im with NAS there is no real need for Icing as is. No touch works fine in all other levels of competition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Touch up icing slows the game down period.

And if you want to see a race, nothing about no touch icing says that a player can't race to prevent it crossing the goal line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok got that from some good posters, so I will go with that thought.  I am just wondering where would you stop that "entitilement" of players in boarding and charging, or even embellishing if you take the stance of not having legitmate competition for the puck like icing and those mentioned.  On a larger front, I am a bit worried that legislating PCS etc is going to lead to a "gentler and kinder" hockey.  Thanks for the input.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Touch up icing slows the game down period. And if you want to see a race, nothing about no touch icing says that a player can't race to prevent it crossing the goal line.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    And a whistle for icing every time a pass is missed speeds up the game how.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : And a whistle for icing every time a pass is missed speeds up the game how.

But it's mostly missed pass, wait for the touch up, then the whistle.  Yes, an immediate whistle is faster.

What percentage of icings get beat?  I would guess 7%

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The clock running speeds up the game. Whistles don't. As I said BH, I realize my opinion has me in the minority. I just think that if you're going to take out the 2 line pass, then the touch-icing becomes a necessary evil. Cheers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]The clock running speeds up the game. Whistles don't.

Be reasonable. 

Go back to the old days when players would try to tie the puck up against the boards. 
    No whistle.  Game was slowed down considerably.

It's what happens BETWEEN the whistles, and no touch icing would mean more action.

Most of the time, certainly over 90% of the time, it's a routine touch up.

And watching a player skate to one end of the rink and touch the puck in any way, shape or manner isn't that exciting.

And even in the case where it's a legit race, that play rarely ends up being meaningful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : Be reasonable.  Go back to the old days when players would try to tie the puck up against the boards.  No whistle.  Game was slowed down considerably. It's what happens BETWEEN the whistles, and no touch icing would mean more action. Most of the time, certainly over 90% of the time, it's a routine touch up. And watching a player skate to one end of the rink and touch the puck in any way, shape or manner isn't that exciting. And even in the case where it's a legit race, that play rare ly ends up being meaningful.
    NEVER!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You'd still have a race - it would just be eleven feet shorter, giving the players enough time to pull up before hitting he boards. When my league was founded we decided to use the NHL men's rule book rather than the IIHF women's rule book. After one season the only rule we changed was the touch-up rule, because it was just so stupid and dangeous, and most of the players in my league weigh half as much as an NHL player. And even with that shorter distance, icing is still beaten out maybe 5 % of the time. It's not about "pussificaion" (I'm all for fighting in hockey, though not so much for, as NAS says, skating clowns) it's about common sense. Pretty much the only league in the world that still has touch-up is the NHL.

Why?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Fedun's leg:
    [QUOTE]Now that we have yet another player with a shattered femur (an injury that in some cases can be potentially fatal if the break severs the femural artery) will the league finally look into no-touch icing? Maybe before someone dies? Olympic hockey is one of the most exciting sports tournaments in the world. The fact they have no-touch doesn't diminish the game, but it makesit an awful lot safer.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

So there's something more potentially "fatal" about an icing touch -up injury than other hockey plays?

I remember Stamkos getting hit directly in the face with a shot against the Bruins in the semi's Game 7.  Coulda been "fatal."   Time to outlaw slap shots and shots over the shoulder.

Oh, and that awful checking and fighting stuff.

The pussification trend continues.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : Be reasonable.  Go back to the old days when players would try to tie the puck up against the boards.  No whistle.  Game was slowed down considerably. It's what happens BETWEEN the whistles, and no touch icing would mean more action. Most of the time, certainly over 90% of the time, it's a routine touch up. And watching a player skate to one end of the rink and touch the puck in any way, shape or manner isn't that exciting. And even in the case where it's a legit race, that play rare ly ends up being meaningful.
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. They used to blow plays dead along the boards which slowed down the game. Now they force them to move the puck and allow the clock to keep running which speeds up the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Canada in the last decade and a half four players have died on icing plays. So yes, it's potentially fatal, moreso than other plays.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Canada in the last decade and a half four players have died on icing plays. So yes, it's potentially fatal, moreso than other plays.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red, I was unaware. That's awful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : Red, I was unaware. That's awful.
    Yeah, it's why Cherry started his no touch crusade in the first place. Back in 95 or 96 (somewhere around then, can't remember the exact year) there were two in different men's beer leagues close together- that's when Don started pushing this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : I'm not sure where you're going with this. They used to blow plays dead along the boards which slowed down the game. Now they force them to move the puck and allow the clock to keep running which speeds up the game.

But it used to be an acceptable strategy to tie the puck up, the puck went into the corner and this scrum would happen as defenseman would try to pin it and forwards would try to poke it loose.  No whistle.  It was slow.  It was boring.  But there was no whistle.
    The puck WAS moving, but slowly - no whistle.

Now, if a defenseman intentionally ties the puck up like they used to, he'd get a delay of game penalty - A WHISTLE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fedun's leg : But it used to be an acceptable strategy to tie the puck up, the puck went into the corner and this scrum would happen as defenseman would try to pin it and forwards would try to poke it loose.  No whistle.  It was slow.  It was boring.  But there was no whistle. The puck WAS moving, but slowly - no whistle. Now, if a defenseman intentionally ties the puck up like they used to, he'd get a delay of game penalty - A WHISTLE.
    I disagree. As long as he keeps the puck moving there'd be no penalty called. It's the same way that it's always been in that regard. Even in the 70's, you couldn't just hold the puck against the boards without moving or you'd get a delay of game call. I don't know what era you're remembering because the hockey I grew up watching had lots of whistles for pucks being tied up along the boards.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

If we cant have touch icing, lets just not have icing.  No touch icing is a joke, and Kelvanas post on the first page sums it up well.  I HATE all these people who want to change hockey to "make it safer".  ITS A DANGEROUS SPORT!  When you take all the danger out, it isnt hockey.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

So Olympic hockey isn't any good?