Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate

In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate : Two did, the rest didn't.  You can just imagine that I wasn't buddies with every guy on the team.  I had my friends, and I had players whom I got along with, and there were a few that would give and receive some pretty decent slashes in front of the net in practice.  There were plenty that I disliked and a few I just really hated.  I'm sure the feeling was often mutual.  It didn't matter.  We were there to play hockey.  On the ice, we wore the same jersey. If Press Box Paille is upset with Andrew Ference...who cares?  What'll he do?  Frown from the Ninth Floor when Ference scores a goal? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Like I said earlier,Paille was unlikely to be here all year anyway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Ols disagree on the hit being cowardly, you would have to say that everytime Boyc and McQ slam someone at the line with their heads down it is cowardly.  They have been lucky enough to not make head contact..yet.

Pail drops his shoulder more and there is no head shot, this was done at fast speed, he did not have the time.  I thought and have been surprised that nothing was discussed it being a charge, because of the speed and strides previous to hit. I had no problem with the hit other than delivered followthrough made head contact.

Also, Ols, it was not an issue until Ference spoke with the media, the media ran with it and now the lines are being divided.

Nas true, players have to get along on the ice and there will be division in the locker room, but that shiite is better kept in the locker room.  Ference would have been smarter to have kept his yap shut.

Pail is on the 9th floor mainly in part to Cj, not many teams have a Wheeler talent on 4th line, he has NHL talent and will be playing for someone else, he will not set any scoring records but he will be playing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]"Obviously, I know Daniel feels bad about what happened," said Bergeron. "He didn't mean to. But at the same time, sometimes those hits can be avoided. I've said that before, and I'm not going to change my speech because it happened with someone on our side." There.  It's Bergeron.  Now will you all shut up and stop making a huge deal out of something created by sensationalistic media fools? http://www.csnne.com/02/06/11/Ference-No-issue-in-locker-room-over-com/landing_bruins.html?blockID=405222&feedID=3944
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

So glad you posted this because it is being totally overlooked.  It does seem to me that everyone is piling on everyone's favorite scapegoat, Andrew Ference.  Julien and Bergeron both said the same thing as Ference.  And, it's the truth.

Ference didn't just offer up his opinion either, he was asked.  He gave an honest immediate reaction (that he probably now regrets).  This all happened about 1 hour after Ference decked Burish as he was sticking up for his teammate Rask.

I just think this is being blown totally out of proportion.  There is no need to move either player (as a reult of this incident).  Teams should be able to work this stuff out. 

Ference could apologize for possibly putting more heat on Paille (along with Bergeron and Julien, to be fair).  Paille could apologize for making a bad hit, giving Dallas a 5 minute PP, and for putting his teammates in a situation where they have to answer these awkward questions in the first place.  Let's remember he is the one who did the deed, not Ference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]this is a non-story IMO. Paille made a poor decision, and that hit should be otta the game. Ferrence is just saying what everyone already knows--get over it. Just the same as Crosby said of Cooke after the savard hit.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

Thank you !

Shupe, the guy was asked a question and he answered it. Now you get Cherry and Milbury on Canada's most watched network on Saturday night. That's blowing this up too far !  It's a non-story for God's sake !
    I was not compairing the Bertuzzi incident to Paille but just trying to point this "CODE" everyone seems to think Ference broke.  The Canucks didn't break the code therefore they did the right thing ?

Cowboys,  I know it's not Canadian/American issue . I was just saying how funny here on this board most of the American posters look at this as a non issue and most of the Canadian posters like yourself and Shupe look at this as a scandal.  I think the code on how to act in hockey was born in Canada and this might be the reason you're leaning against Ference.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and great point Shot and Fletch,  Bergeron and Julien both said it why aren't you guys jumping at them ??? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If this minor " incident " splits the B's locker room then at least we'll have an excuse if they don't win the cup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate : Thank you ! Shupe, the guy was asked a question and he answered it. Now you get Cherry and Milbury on Canada's most watched network on Saturday night. That's blowing this up too far !  It's a non-story for God's sake ! I was not compairing the Bertuzzi incident to Paille but just trying to point this "CODE" everyone seems to think Ference broke.  The Canucks didn't break the code therefore they did the right thing ? Cowboys,  I know it's not Canadian/American issue . I was just saying how funny here on this board most of the American poster look at this as a non issue and most of the Canadian posters like yourself and Shupe loom at this as a scandal.  I think the code on how to act in hockey was born in Canada and this might be the reason you're leaning against Ference.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Amen Legion, I would prefer that athletes err on the side of honesty above the rituals of some archaic code.  Ference was so ambiguous anyhow, it is a total non-story.  It's not like he was calling for suspension.  He just said what anyone who saw the hit already knew -- it looked bad.

Further, you might say it would be a slap in the face to another teammate named Savard if you vehemently call out for justice on the Cooke/Savard hit, but then sit back and say Paille did nothing wrong just because he's wearing your jersey.  If the league is going to be serious about eliminating these hits, people will have to make a tough stand every now and then and admit that something a friend or teammate did was wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate : So glad you posted this because it is being totally overlooked.  It does seem to me that everyone is piling on everyone's favorite scapegoat, Andrew Ference.  Julien and Bergeron both said the same thing as Ference.  And, it's the truth. Ference didn't just offer up his opinion either, he was asked.  He gave an honest immediate reaction (that he probably now regrets).  This all happened about 1 hour after Ference decked Burish as he was sticking up for his teammate Rask. I just think this is being blown totally out of proportion.  There is no need to move either player (as a reult of this incident).  Teams should be able to work this stuff out.  Ference could apologize for possibly putting more heat on Paille (along with Bergeron and Julien, to be fair).  Paille could apologize for making a bad hit, giving Dallas a 5 minute PP, and for putting his teammates in a situation where they have to answer these awkward questions in the first place.  Let's remember he is the one who did the deed, not Ference.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

This thing is certainly overblown.  The team will deal with it.  There is no problem.  I do think though, DP wishes he hadn't made that hit, and AF probably wishes he had been a little more diplomatic.
    The reason AF is in the middle of things now, more than Bergeron, is probably be cause of the follow up interview, where he's attempting to justify his original comments and address the team cohesivness regarding the hit.  He just adds fuel to the fire, and comes off defensive and confrontational. 
    The media, and the marketplace hate unemotional, impersonal, canned responses, however, theres a reason why most people give em.
    It's smarter.
    Ference should have been a bit smarter. 
    Next game on the docket.....Montreal.  Move forward.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

for the game of hockey Ference spoke honestly,truthfully & openly.....for air time,a chance to entice the audience, Cherry & Milbury fabricated once again twisting,turning reality into a over dramatised sceniero 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Ference should have just not said anything. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I admire Ference for speaking the truth.  I have a feeling his teamates did too, especially with what happened to Bergeron and Savard.  I know I would.  Cherry and Milbury are idiots.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]I admire Ference for speaking the truth.  I have a feeling his teamates did too, especially with what happened to Bergeron and Savard.  I know I would.  Cherry and Milbury are idiots.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

You may dislike Cherry and Milbury Oates, but they're not idiots when it comes to the game of hockey.  They've forgotten more than anyone here knows.(as does anyone who holds a comparable gig)
    I don't see anything "admirable" whatsoever in AF's comments.  I don't see anything terrible either, except for the fact that those comments play right in the hands of a very inconsistent NHL disciplanary committee.  If Lucic had made that hit, I doubt he'd have said what he did, and the team, and it's fans would now be screaming about the severity of the suspension.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate : Amen Legion, I would prefer that athletes err on the side of honesty above the rituals of some archaic code.  Ference was so ambiguous anyhow, it is a total non-story.  It's not like he was calling for suspension.  He just said what anyone who saw the hit already knew -- it looked bad. Further, you might say it would be a slap in the face to another teammate named Savard if you vehemently call out for justice on the Cooke/Savard hit, but then sit back and say Paille did nothing wrong just because he's wearing your jersey.  If the league is going to be serious about eliminating these hits, people will have to make a tough stand every now and then and admit that something a friend or teammate did was wrong.

Sorry Fletch , I missed the ambiguity of his comments..they look pretty clear to me , especially the last line which I find astounding..You don't do that to a team mate.. The process had not even started by the League and this guy is already started the process himself..pretty smug attitude... Unacceptable !! Call me old school...

“I mean it’s a bad hit, right? That’s what they’re trying to get rid of and you can’t be hypocritical about it when it happens to you, and say it’s fine when your teammate does it. It’s a hit they’re trying to get rid of. I mean you hear it from every player after they do it, they feel bad, and same thing, I talked to Danny and he feels bad. It’s tough, that backchecking forward, to make those kind of hits. It’s so hard to do it in a clean fashion, with the new rules. It is what it is.  He hurt the guy, and I’m sure he’ll have a conversation [with the league].”

I also understand its a spare part player in Paille, so it is no surprise some people don't have a problem with what Ference said.. but what if it had been Lucic or Chara? Would AF response have been the same?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]and great point Shot and Fletch,  Bergeron and Julien both said it why aren't you guys jumping at them ??? 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Legion, Bergy's and Julien's comments were  not as inflammatory and incriminating as Ference's were..They did not use strong words or statements like  " Dirty Hit".." hard to do it in a clean fashion"  " I am sure he will be talking to the league "  that last one bothered me more than the rest....

Also worth to note and has not received much play in this forum is Julien's comments on the victim of the hit and the responsibility he has in this.. I mean the kid skates with his head down for about three seconds into the trolley tracks and it's there for the taking.. They talk about Rule 48.. How about Rule #1 that you and I grew up playing this game and was ingrained into us from Day 1... Keep your head up!! I think Julien summed it up pretty good..

Until the players themselves in their minds think about stopping putting themselves in vulnerable positions, whether it's playing with your head down or whether it's playing by the boards and seeing you're going to get hit and turning your back, or whatever the case may be," Julien told ESNPBoston. "I think if the players start taking that responsibility it's going to minimize a lot of these things."

"Once you're in the pros, you've been told for many, many years never to play with your head down, so if he hasn't learned by now, he shouldn't be in the pros."

Did you think Paille's hit was that Dirty? I have seen much worse.. I saw a guy come across and the first point of contact was the guy's shoulder , not a direct hit to the head as some have alluded to , there was no concussion,  maybe if he has his head up and avoids the contact it doesn't happen.. Somehow the responsibility needs to be put on the player getting hit as well..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Judging by how Milbury massacred the New York Islanders, I would say he really knows very little about hockey decisions.  Don Cherry is a mixed bag of good stuff and bad.  Having a position in hockey media doesn't mean you know a lot about hockey.  And even if you do, it doesn't mean what you say is right.  Don and Mad Mike have jobs with CBC because they are entertaining, not because they are smart.  They go off the handle and say controversal things that make people talk about the broadcast.  Milbury routinely states things that are as dumb as his Spezza, Chara and Muckalt for Yashin idea.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate : You may dislike Cherry and Milbury Oates, but they're not idiots when it comes to the game of hockey.  They've forgotten more than anyone here knows.(as does anyone who holds a comparable gig) I don't see anything "admirable" whatsoever in AF's comments.  I don't see anything terrible either, except for the fact that those comments play right in the hands of a very inconsistent NHL disciplanary committee.  If Lucic had made that hit, I doubt he'd have said what he did, and the team, and it's fans would now be screaming about the severity of the suspension.   
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Judging by how Milbury massacred the New York Islanders, I would say he really knows very little about hockey decisions.  Don Cherry is a mixed bag of good stuff and bad.  Having a position in hockey media doesn't mean you know a lot about hockey.  And even if you do, it doesn't mean what you say is right.  Don and Mad Mike have jobs with CBC because they are entertaining, not because they are smart.  They go off the handle and say controversal things that make people talk about the broadcast.  Milbury routinely states things that are as dumb as his Spezza, Chara and Muckalt for Yashin idea. In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate :
    The fact they both coached in the worlds best pro hockey league tells me they know more about the game than any of us.Don and Mike have jobs with the CBC because they are entertaining AND smart.Entertaining just isn't enough to cut it.If that's all it took they could have just hired a comedian like the NFL did with Dennis Miller(how did that work out for them).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate : The fact they both coached in the worlds best pro hockey league tells me they know more about the game than any of us.Don and Mike have jobs with the CBC because they are entertaining AND smart.Entertaining just isn't enough to cut it.If that's all it took they could have just hired a comedian like the NFL did with Dennis Miller(how did that work out for them).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    You also have to remember that Don and Mike are old school in their thinking. They coached and or played when players were still allowed to go into the stands after a fan ( ahh the good ol' days ). You have Don who thinks european players should have stayed in europe and Mike who thinks the present day N.H.L  and its rules are "pansifying" the league. So for both of them to say that Ference should of kept his yap shut likely also believe that there isn't any need for rule #48. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Can’t believe I am disagreeing with dez and cowboys in the same thread.  Two of my favorite posters, so maybe I’m wrong…but nonetheless…

I think that Milbury and Cherry are entertainers with a good deal of knowledge of the game, but also have some very dumb and stone-aged perspectives on a lot of different issues.  I recall Cherry’s idiotic rant against Lucic last year for apparently bailing on a fight with Colton Orr after being slugged squarely in the nose by one of the toughest guys in the NHL.  The more intelligent question to ask would be “why on earth is the Bruins #1 LW fighting Colton Orr to begin with?”  But no, Cherry and Milbury both stated a preference for Lucic to ‘hang in’ and continue to be pummeled rather than show any weakness by having the refs break it up.  That’s an easy call from the press box.  It would be a very stupid one from the ice.

I think Milbury and Cherry come off the same way on the Ference thing – outdated, good ‘ol boy rhetoric, and desperately beholden to “the code” (which becomes more and more enigmatic everyday).  First of all, I just don’t think the whole thing was a big deal.  If the Bruins dressing room is having problems because of that, then they need to focus a little more on the actual hockey and instead of acting like teenage girls taking sides against each other.  Work it out.

Secondly Ference only stated (in a fairly gentle way) what is obvious to anyone who saw the hit.  It was bad.  It was blindside.  The player was hurt.  Ference is sharing a locker room with a couple of guys who have nearly had their career ended by bad hits – don’t make him play weasel by pretending it was a clean hit.  He is showing respect to those guys by taking the issue seriously and honestly.  I remember how appreciative I was of other players around the NHL, including Cooke’s teammates, who called a spade a spade with the Cooke hit.  Ference was directly asked for his opinion and he gave it.  In the age of publicists, political correctness, and total press conference phonies, it was refreshing to me.

He and Paille need to drink a beer and move on.  Cherry and Milbury ought to find an actual hockey story to talk about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Rather than say that they coached in the NHL so they are smart, why don't you say want they have done to show they know hockey?  I'm not so much talking about Cherry, he has his attitudes, doesn't believe players should wear visors, smile after scoring a goal, etc., but about Milbury.  If you think he is smart, do you think that he has made smart decisions when he was in an actual hockey office?  Which ones do you agree with?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate : The fact they both coached in the worlds best pro hockey league tells me they know more about the game than any of us.Don and Mike have jobs with the CBC because they are entertaining AND smart.Entertaining just isn't enough to cut it.If that's all it took they could have just hired a comedian like the NFL did with Dennis Miller(how did that work out for them).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

[QUOTE]for the game of hockey Ference spoke honestly,truthfully & openly.....for air time,a chance to entice the audience, Cherry & Milbury fabricated once again twisting,turning reality into a over dramatised sceniero 
    Posted by pucman[/QUOTE]

Bingo!  Most succinct and accurate post yet. 

Milbury and Cherry (amongst other media people - read: those who are OUT of the game yet desperately want to cling to relativity)

And - I hate to go here - but I think some of the negativity towards Ference may be due to his non-hockey politics.  Maybe not... but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Oops... didn't complete the thought

Milbury and Cherry (amongst other media people - read: those who are OUT of the game yet desperately want to cling to relativity) are just trying to make noise and keep the gigs rolling in.  The more outrageous and controversial, the better it is for their bank accounts.

As for what Ference actually said - "I'm sure he'll be talking with the league" .. what is wrong about that?  We're in the midst of a season where the league is focusing on hits to the head.  Of course he's going to have a talk with the league, he was tossed from the game for it when it happened.

The idea that the league added any games to his suspension or what Ference said tipped them off to anything they weren't aware of - as some have proposed - is ludicrious

It's absolute hogwash and only comes from an view point of personal dislike of Ference...

FINALLY, Paille is a marginal NHL player at best... if anyone should be removed from the team due to some nonsensical disagreement it should be him.  This is the perfect excuse. 

He's constantly getting ripped on these boards for his terrible play... Good riddance, I say.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Rather than say that they coached in the NHL so they are smart, why don't you say want they have done to show they know hockey?  I'm not so much talking about Cherry, he has his attitudes, doesn't believe players should wear visors, smile after scoring a goal, etc., but about Milbury.  If you think he is smart, do you think that he has made smart decisions when he was in an actual hockey office?  Which ones do you agree with? In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate :

We're getting a bit off topic here with Cherry and Milbury.  I didn't say I agree with everything they say.  I didn't imply they were geniouses.
    I merely disagreed with your position they were idiots., and suggested they do have something on the ball regarding hockey.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Can’t believe I am disagreeing with dez and cowboys in the same thread.   Two of my favorite posters, so maybe I’m wrong…but nonetheless…   I think that Milbury and Cherry are entertainers with a good deal of knowledge of the game, but also have some very dumb and stone-aged perspectives on a lot of different issues.   I recall Cherry’s idiotic rant against Lucic last year for apparently bailing on a fight with Colton Orr after being slugged squarely in the nose by one of the toughest guys in the NHL.   The more intelligent question to ask would be “why on earth is the Bruins #1 LW fighting Colton Orr to begin with?”   But no, Cherry and Milbury both stated a preference for Lucic to ‘hang in’ and continue to be pummeled rather than show any weakness by having the refs break it up.   That’s an easy call from the press box.   It would be a very stupid one from the ice.   I think Milbury and Cherry come off the same way on the Ference thing – outdated, good ‘ol boy rhetoric, and desperately beholden to “the code” (which becomes more and more enigmatic everyday).   First of all, I just don’t think the whole thing was a big deal.   If the Bruins dressing room is having problems because of that, then they need to focus a little more on the actual hockey and instead of acting like teenage girls taking sides against each other.   Work it out.   Secondly Ference only stated (in a fairly gentle way) what is obvious to anyone who saw the hit.   It was bad.   It was blindside.   The player was hurt.   Ference is sharing a locker room with a couple of guys who have nearly had their career ended by bad hits – don’t make him play weasel by pretending it was a clean hit.   He is showing respect to those guys by taking the issue seriously and honestly.   I remember how appreciative I was of other players around the NHL, including Cooke’s teammates, who called a spade a spade with the Cooke hit.   Ference was directly asked for his opinion and he gave it.   In the age of publicists, political correctness, and total press conference phonies, it was refreshing to me.   He and Paille need to drink a beer and move on.   Cherry and Milbury ought to find an actual hockey story to talk about.
    More than anything,I'm just saying i disagree with the idea that Mike and Don are a couple of simpletons that don't know hockey.While I tend to disagree with a number of things they say,I'm not naive enough to believe my knowledge of the game is any match for theirs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Rather than say that they coached in the NHL so they are smart, why don't you say want they have done to show they know hockey?  I'm not so much talking about Cherry, he has his attitudes, doesn't believe players should wear visors, smile after scoring a goal, etc., but about Milbury.  If you think he is smart, do you think that he has made smart decisions when he was in an actual hockey office?  Which ones do you agree with? In Response to Re: Ference- Good Cop / Bad Team Mate :
    While he caught a huge amount of flak for the Dipietro signing and it's length in particular,it now seems he may have been a groundbreaker in that regard.It seems as if many GM's are now attempting to sign players to deals of ridiculous lengths in order to ease the yearly payout.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Jeff Marek 
    Andrew Ference on @ said team got together last night for Super Bowl and laughed about the Paille controversy, including Paille.