Fingers crossed tomorrow?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Fingers crossed tomorrow?

The NHL and the NHLPA are meeting tomorrow, and though it's been reported that they will not likely talk about the CBA (how can they not?) I'd really like to see/hear something positive come from this meeting. I'm not sure how much of a sense of urgency there is on either side, but I know i'm getting antsy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Fingers crossed tomorrow?

So what's the point of meeting if they're not going to talk about the CBA?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

I just read that they are going to be discussing "non core issues" such as team staffing issues  instead of "core issues" such as defining hockey related revenues. Mabye if they can agree on some of the "non core issues" it will facilitate positive talks on core issues.  Probably just me being optimistic though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Wonder if they can converse for more than 30 minutes this time? I have my doubts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If we are lucky, we'll see NHL hockey in January.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]If we are lucky, we'll see NHL hockey in January.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently, they've set aside times over the weekend, if needed as well.  That suggests they might actually want to get something done this time.

It seems to me it's either going to get done (or close) this weekend; or it will be what you say. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I heard this was a non-revenue related meeting, and it's revenue sharing that seems to be the biggest issue. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Let's hope this meeting proceeds better than the last time they were together in the same room.  It was a dinner on September 24th to honour Brad Park as the NHL Alumni Association's man of the year so bargaining talk wasn't on the agenda. 

Both sat at the same table.  With any luck that they didn't shake hands won't be an indication of things to come and that negotiations begin to gain some form of traction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The below quote from Daley doesn't sound promising, but considering it was 3 months in between meetings in 04-05 does show a sign of some optimism I suppose.

"Obviously, we've got to talk before you can get a deal, so I think it's important to get the talks going again," said Daly. "But you also have to have something to say. I think it's fair to say we feel like we need to hear from the players' association in a meaningful way because I don't think that they've really moved off their initial proposal, which was made more than a month ago now."

A source indicated that the union wasn't planning to head back to the bargaining table with a proposal in hand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we are lucky, we'll see NHL hockey in January.

[/QUOTE]

true that.  It looks to me like no hockey this year.

And the shame of it all is that the little guys loose the most, guys who see mostly ahl & 10 games in the show, the hot dog vendors, restaurant people in the area and people begging for spare change out front.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I also think while they are not talking about core issues, so they say , they will attempt trying to salvage the start of the season for sometime in October.

With this being said I would not cross my fingers although what's encouraging is they're talking, not like in 04 after they cancelled pre-season it took them 3 months to get to the table again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I saw a list of the non-core issues to be discussed and was bothered by the absence of two main ones - the Olympics and realignment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

As with the rest of the season ticket holders, I got my notification last night about the rest of the preseason being cancelled and felt immediately that today's meeting will be a waste of time. I feel that we are all in for a long haul of no NHL unless something significant gets done over the next two weeks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm ready for another nuclear winter.

Honestly, does either side care about the fans even a little? NaS, don't answer that.

It's more about winning than compromise.

They'll try and salvage their beloved Winter Classic cash cow, but nothing before then I fear.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

This meeting is about non ecomonic issues, so even if it goes smoothly I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm sure once money is brought up things will go right back to normal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:[quote]

I'm ready for another nuclear winter.

Honestly, does either side care about the fans even a little? NaS, don't answer that.

It's more about winning than compromise.

They'll try and salvage their beloved Winter Classic cash cow, but nothing before then I fear.[/quote]

Yes, two of the largest fan bases in the NHL in Detroit and Toronto. Lots of money to be made from that event.. especially given it's location. I wouldn't be surprised if they waste the next few months with a stare down then start the season on that date.