First Coach Fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

First Coach Fired

Who guessed Laviolette?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433599

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: First Coach Fired

RIP!!!

Noel will soon be next and replaced with........Peter Laviolette.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Harsh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well that didn't take long. 3 games in had to be close to a record.

And I highly doubt that Noel gets the axe anytime soon. Later in the season if they slide, sure, but Chevy and Chipman have stated how much they value loyalty so I doubt they push him out right away. He's developped that team well so far, so if he gets results this season I can't see him going anywhere.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to red75's comment:

And I highly doubt that Noel gets the axe anytime soon. Later in the season if they slide, sure, but Chevy and Chipman have stated how much they value loyalty so I doubt they push him out right away. He's developped that team well so far, so if he gets results this season I can't see him going anywhere.

Just a hunch. Time will tell.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I can see Holmgren trading players in a panic if they dont string up some wins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Wow, that's harsh.  Will it just be the assistant all season, or are there any replacements out there waiting?

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Davey, you mean this is coaching hire number 4 for him since he took over in 2006?  Yeah, I'd be making every move to show I was still the guy - if I continued to want the job.

I didn't guess Laviolette orginally (I don't think...), but I did post on the Around the League thread last night that the Flyers were off to a get-the-coach-fired start.  Giroux, zilch.  Voracek, zilch.  Hartnell, zippo.  Couturier, nil.  And on and on it goes.

I think Laviolette's a good coach when he has a defense, but he's not a coach who can make chicken salad out of chicken faeces behind the blueline.  He can get the most out of mediocre goaltending, though.  Won with Jon Grahame in the A, made the finals with Leighton in the NHL.  He'll be somewhere sometime soon.

Maybe Claude could hire him to run the PP? 

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

They need to win now. I wouldnt be suprised if they look at Mike Keenan. Now there is a team Torts would have been perfect for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

He's probably relieved he doesn't have to look at that defense every day now.

Next coaching vacancy in the league will in all likelihood be filled by PL

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Other than just because it's Philly, why do they need to win now, kel?  They have a very young core with the Schenns at 22 and 23, Voracek at 24, Giroux, Simmonds and Mason at 25, and Read 27.  Hartnell's getting up there at 31.  Only Lecavalier, Streit, Emery (barely), Timonen, Hartnell and Hall are over 30.  I'd say they're much closer to the final stages of a rebuild than a "win now" situation.

If Holmgren goes to Snyder and says "I want to hire Mike Keenan" the first words out of Snyder's mouth should be "you're fired".  He'd destroy that base, which should be a very solid base to build on if they just do the smart thing and solidify the back end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh yeah, I bumped the thread with first coach fired predictions.  asmaha FTW.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Wow, that didn't take long. I've watched all three Flyers games and they totally suck right now. Good luck with this gang, Berube. Holmgren is next

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

I was just talking about Lav's to my friend the 2nd game that philly lost. I was saying I give him 10 games top and he is gone. I guess it didn't take 10 lol. Whats Guy Bouche` up to? I feel like he could make philly a decent team under that 1-3-1 system. Only reason I say that because PHI D and goalies are awful mostly the D's fault though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The flyers have no wiggle room with the cap.  They have medicore defence, they have young raw talent that everyone is waiting for them to turn into flowers.  Their captain doesnt seem like a good captain...mike richards he is not.  Sometimes you just gotta let skill guys play and not worry about the other stuff.  Vinny was a good pickup but they dont need him.  Their best dman is colbourn and they have been trying to trade him.  They have no goalies, no prospects in goal and werent smart enough to land bernier, schneider or even loungo.   something has gotta happen there.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

They gotta do something.  God knows they have an impatient media and fanbase, and Holmgren doesn't have the ability to shake off hysteria and keep a steady hand, that's for sure.  He's a doomsday preper...

PS. shupe, your UNB boys beat Denver last night 2-1.  Dismal game, but good for them.  They did a tribute to you at the 1st intermission -- wheeled out a 6'6 pylon in a shupe jersey and the bench shouted "hard off the glass" in unison...;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

So by my prediction Holmgren should go now. Too early in the season for Snyder to do that yet.

Didn't read the article yet. Did Holmgren pull Peter off the bus a la "Pat Hayden" style ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

They gotta do something.  God knows they have an impatient media and fanbase, and Holmgren doesn't have the ability to shake off hysteria and keep a steady hand, that's for sure.  He's a doomsday preper...

PS. shupe, your UNB boys beat Denver last night 2-1.  Dismal game, but good for them.  They did a tribute to you at the 1st intermission -- wheeled out a 6'6 pylon in a shupe jersey and the bench shouted "hard off the glass" in unison...;)

Well played.  Off the glass and out got me minutes.  I had brutal hands.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

He's a good coach and will probably get another opportunity soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

So by my prediction Holmgren should go now. Too early in the season for Snyder to do that yet.

Didn't read the article yet. Did Holmgren pull Peter off the bus a la "Pat Hayden" style ?

San, he messed with that franchise long enough. He should be gone.  Lots of skill but no real identity.  For as much as some disliked richards( i love him)  He was a leader, did everything and the fans loved him.  Richards now has 2 Runs to the finals and a cup.  They need change.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

They need MOC LoL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Other than just because it's Philly, why do they need to win now, kel?  They have a very young core with the Schenns at 22 and 23, Voracek at 24, Giroux, Simmonds and Mason at 25, and Read 27.  Hartnell's getting up there at 31.  Only Lecavalier, Streit, Emery (barely), Timonen, Hartnell and Hall are over 30.  I'd say they're much closer to the final stages of a rebuild than a "win now" situation.

If Holmgren goes to Snyder and says "I want to hire Mike Keenan" the first words out of Snyder's mouth should be "you're fired".  He'd destroy that base, which should be a very solid base to build on if they just do the smart thing and solidify the back end.

The have the young core like you mentioned, went out and got Streit,Lecavalier and Emery. The made those moves to win now. They fired the coach 3 games into the season because they want to win now. With that fanbase in that market, they've had a alot of dissapointing endings recently.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The have the young core like you mentioned, went out and got Streit,Lecavalier and Emery. The made those moves to win now. They fired the coach 3 games into the season because they want to win now. With that fanbase in that market, they've had a alot of dissapointing endings recently.

See, to me, that says they want to win now, not that they need to win now.  Need to win now would be that they have a glut of top players coming to UFA status at the same time, or that they have a cornerstone player or two who is declining or will decline in the very near future.  WANT to win now is when you do dumb things to chase a dream that's really not within reach.  So as shupe said, you sign Lecavalier because he's a good player, but he's not really a player you need.  You get Streit because your defense is weak, and he's an upgrade, but he doesn't really address how flawed that D is.  They got Emery to replace Bryz because they needed a vet because they don't trust Mason. Who does?

Not sure where I'd start with this Flustercluck if I were to replace Holmgren.  I wonder if there's a deal to be made that could change the fortunes of this team.  Is this a case where a better goalie makes the team less afraid to make mistakes, and so better across the board?  You'd also have to think about the overall PC approach: how do you want to play, and are there minor league deals you could make to acquire players who fit that style better than the style of their current organization?  Gotta work in some rooks, if not this year, next year.  Either Emery or Mason stays and maybe Stolarz gets the back up role? Or they both go and you bring in Miller to start while Stolarz learns?  Similar idea for NHL deals.  You have too many 1-2 line players who, except for Giroux and maybe Voracek, are different but not qualitatively different.  None of them are also top notch defensive players.  You don't have a checking line.  You go 3 lines that are basically scoring lines and then Rinaldo, Rosehill, Nwbury or Hall.  Create some identty and clear roles by moving out your version of Wheeler, whoever that proves to be, for a solid D and a defensively capable centre. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

So the question becomes: Where will Laviolette end up? My vote is NJ (doesn't even have to move the family), and he'll guide the ageless wonders into one of the last playoff spots.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

They fired the wrong guy, Holmgren should've been the one fired. He is laughable as a GM.