First round pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

First round pick

B's may as well use it in a trade if they can. Its not getting any better, since Toronto keeps winning. The more they win the less of a value that #1 pick is...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinnsWake. Show FinnsWake's posts

Re: First round pick

I'm of the school that says keep it since we traded away our own.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you're one of the people who thinks it would be good to draft a high-talent defenseman with this year's pick, you should be wondering if this is just the stars aligning.  Last year's trend of drafting D lower in the first round will probably continue, and Couturier, Landeskog, Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau and most of the other top forwards will probably go before there's a run on defensemen.  Larsson will probably go top 4-5...but you never know.  Fowler was the top D in most people's eyes right up to March last year.  He dropped out of the top 10.  The top D in this draft aren't likely to be Cam Fowlers right away, but there should be a pretty skilled defenseman available right up to 13-14.

If you buy all that, I'd say keep the pick unless it's part of a deal to get a young, high-end, EL contract defenseman. Or a Sharkicorn.  That's a unicorn crossed with a Great White Shark.  They're slightly less rare than young, high-end, EL contract defensemen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Keep the pick

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Not sold on any of the prospects beyond #5 in this draft and think they all need development in juniors, oversees, or in college. In that case, I'd be fine trading it now or in the offseason. Not many are NHL ready guys like last year.

If you can get into the top 5 (on the back of a Toronto implosion) and get Larsson, then I'd keep it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Gotta keep it unless there is a deal out there that is a can't refuse offer.  I like the team as is.  I wouldnt mind a small tweaking but this team is better than it was a few weeks ago.
    I would love the Bruins to make a run at Adam Foote before he goes to Philly or some other East team for nothing. 
    Chara/Kamp
    Seidz/Kaberle
    Ference/Foote

Thats pretty solid. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FerenceONpoint. Show FerenceONpoint's posts

I like our chances.  It will be a top 10 pick.  The early word on this year's draft is that the talent is evenly spread out.  Which is the safe way of saying no one really knows jack and talent could emerge from anywhere.

Hang on to it and take our chances.

I also predict Toronto's recent success will be short-lived.  Guys named Joey Crabb can only take you so far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: First round pick:
    [QUOTE]Gotta keep it unless there is a deal out there that is a can't refuse offer.  I like the team as is.  I wouldnt mind a small tweaking but this team is better than it was a few weeks ago. I would love the Bruins to make a run at Adam Foote before he goes to Philly or some other East team for nothing.  Chara/Kamp Seidz/Kaberle Ference/Foote Thats pretty solid. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I like that suggestion. Foote would be a great pick up. I have no idea what his CAP Hit is, but if he could be squeezed in there, then YES!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ference,

I would say its a watered down draft with no real impact players past the 1st 5-7 picks.  I think the Leafs run is fun to watch.  They are only 4 pts out and playing hard and wih only 20 games left I see them making a run.  In fact I bet they add a piece or two before the deadline. 
    Having the Leafs in a playoff hunt is huge for the NHL and especially Leaf fans.  I actually hope they make the playoffs. I am tired of watching NJ and Carolina play.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]If you're one of the people who thinks it would be good to draft a high-talent defenseman with this year's pick, you should be wondering if this is just the stars aligning.  Last year's trend of drafting D lower in the first round will probably continue, and Couturier, Landeskog, Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau and most of the other top forwards will probably go before there's a run on defensemen.  Larsson will probably go top 4-5...but you never know.  Fowler was the top D in most people's eyes right up to March last year.  He dropped out of the top 10.  The top D in this draft aren't likely to be Cam Fowlers right away, but there should be a pretty skilled defenseman available right up to 13-14. If you buy all that, I'd say keep the pick unless it's part of a deal to get a young, high-end, EL contract defenseman. Or a Sharkicorn.  That's a unicorn crossed with a Great White Shark.  They're slightly less rare than young, high-end, EL contract defensemen.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I posted before that Cam Fowler went much later than I thought he would, and I'm hoping that Larrson does too, so the B's can get him. I was super impressed by his skating and puck control during the WJC. This is exactly what the B's need, in my humble opinion, but consideriing what they paid for Kabbie, I can't see them making that pick. Too bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It is a first round pick, the only one the Bruins still have. Young defensemen USUALLY take 3-4 years at AHL level to mature. Granted Doughty and Fowler have been the exception, but they are also still learning and developing. On another post a reference to Bruins pipeline indicated that Ryan Button was probably developing better than most, and he's only 19. Bartkowski is only 22. Give them time, only Kaberle, with his experience is an instant fix.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

So Book if you have your choice between Murphy or Hamilton which do you take ? or if neither aren't available 7 through 9 do you trade down for more picks because your not sold on Siemens or Beaulieu ?

*Sold - Don't think they will make an impact within two years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

To say this draft is only good in the top 5 or even 7 is hard because there is no agreement on who the top 5 are among scouts.  This is as good a year as any to pick in the 5-10 slot because there is no consensus top players but plenty of good 'maybes'. As an amateur fan watching I like Hopkins or Murphy, but many pro scouts don't even have them in the top five.  I like that the Bruins have this pick, hopefully it produces someone who can add skill and depth in future years when Seguin is the centerpiece.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]So Book if you have your choice between Murphy or Hamilton which do you take ? or if neither aren't available 7 through 9 do you trade down for more picks because your not sold on Siemens or Beaulieu ? *Sold - Don't think they will make an impact within two years.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Take Hamilton....bigger yet still puts up the numbers and is very physical. I think Murphy will be Hunwick-ish, jus my perspective.

Do not bother trading down in a weak draft. This defeats the purpose of having a high draft pick. Choose the best player available....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First round pick : I like that suggestion. Foote would be a great pick up. I have no idea what his CAP Hit is, but if he could be squeezed in there, then YES!
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad you're not the Bruin's GM !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]Ference, I would say its a watered down draft with no real impact players past the 1st 5-7 picks.  I think the Leafs run is fun to watch.  They are only 4 pts out and playing hard and wih only 20 games left I see them making a run.  In fact I bet they add a piece or two before the deadline.  Having the Leafs in a playoff hunt is huge for the NHL and especially Leaf fans.  I actually hope they make the playoffs. I am tired of watching NJ and Carolina play.   

Spoken like a true Bruin's fan !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bobby,

I live in Canada.  I enjoy watching hockey and having the strongest hockey market on earth in the playoffs is fun for me to watch.  Having NJ/Carolina is boring.  The Bruins are my 1st choice...but I am a fan of hockey as well.  Sorry if that doesnt meet your standards. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby, I live in Canada.  I enjoy watching hockey and having the strongest hockey market on earth in the playoffs is fun for me to watch.  Having NJ/Carolina is boring.  The Bruins are my 1st choice...but I am a fan of hockey as well.  Sorry if that doesnt meet your standards. 
    I am a Leaf fan, but like you, playoff hockey is so much more enjoyable to watch when you have strong hockey markets in the mix. 

Ratings would sky-rocket for Leaf playoff games (even though there would likely only be 4 in total.............LOL).

Now, the only thing in the way is actually getting in........LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Love,

I hope your Leafs get in.  Would be excellent for hockey.  Yes it would hinder our pick but watching a strong hockey market in the playoffs would make it very fun to watch.  I mean the only playoff type game during the reg season is when Montreal and Toronto play.  Its like game 7 every time the meet. 

I would love a Bruins/Leafs opening round. 

Guess that makes me a bad bruin fan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]Love, I hope your Leafs get in.  Would be excellent for hockey.  Yes it would hinder our pick but watching a strong hockey market in the playoffs would make it very fun to watch.  I mean the only playoff type game during the reg season is when Montreal and Toronto play.  Its like game 7 every time the meet.  I would love a Bruins/Leafs opening round.  Guess that makes me a bad bruin fan.
    I don't think that makes you a bad Bruin fan.  Some of the folks here only care about the Bruins and drop off once they are done.  That's their right.

Being a Leaf fan first and foremost doesn't prevent me from enjoying other teams, especially when the hockey is good to watch, or there's a good match-up.

I like watching Boston (better now then last year), Detroit (the model franchise in IMHO), Vancouver (my choice for the Cup this year) and Edmonton (fun to watch the kids like Hall and Eberle) on occassion.

I also like to watch other teams put a beating on the Habs, Flyers and Sabres in that order. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Leafs have been winning but there schedule in the final 30 games is pretty tough.  Not to mention the Devils are lower in the standings but will more than likely surge past the leafs.  I still think this pick is top 5 when all is said and done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SD - Limited exposure. I've only seen Niagara play twice, and Hamilton was a little wild both times.  Definitely has tools, but the toolbox is a work in progress.  That may make him this year's Gudbranson - only in the sense that you can't teach a kid to be 6'3"-5" and 200 or 210lbs (depending on how he matures).  We know from watching PC stockpile 5'10, 185 defensemen with offensive skills that size may just be the determining factor in what you have to pay for them.

I might go with Murphy, though.  I haven't seen a lot more of him, but when I did get to a Kitchener game, and so could really watch him, he was about as advertised - Ryan Ellis-like in his comfort with the puck and the way he manages his size mis-match. Smart game.  Knows how to avoid getting trapped in battles of size and strength.  Hunwick's not the right comparable - Hunwick could skate but didn't have the puck skills.  Murphy's 1.32 ppg is almost as high as Landeskog's was before he went down (1.38).  As a comparable, a ridiculous to mention them in the same breath but we will because this is about describing the ceiling not the expectation, he reminds me a bit of Phil Housley or, just because he's a Kitchener Ranger, Paul Reinhart.

I'd take either of those guys if they're available at 8 or 9, but I don't see any of the D other than Larsson as a player next year.  The idea here is that this kid is a rookie in two years (after this one), learning from Kaberle for the last two of his four year deal (maybe).  I could also see Siemens going earlier - hard rock WHL D being a meme of sorts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Live in Canada app 1 hour from T.O.  I've managed and somewhat enjoyed the Leafs lack of playoff participation.  As a matter of fact, you can throw in the other strongest hockey market on the planet in Montreal and exclude them as well.  Keep the Sabres out too and I'm in my personal hockey heaven.  Considering there are waves of games going in the first couple of rounds, I don't see anything boring with that regardless of who is playing.  I like watching good teams display their talent and if the teams located in the biggest hockey markets on the planet can't play well enough to get in...oh well.  It's about the game on the ice for me not the hype generated on 24/7 sports talk radio or the 18 channels through Sportsnet and TSN.

But the idea of a Bruins/Leafs series does appeal to me as I don't think I've seen one in my lifetime or perhaps I was too young to remember.  So for the sake of seeing something new....B's/Leafs best of 7?...sure...but not sure about seeing them do better and get in the same year we hold their 1st round pick. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]If you're one of the people who thinks it would be good to draft a high-talent defenseman with this year's pick, you should be wondering if this is just the stars aligning.  Last year's trend of drafting D lower in the first round will probably continue, and Couturier, Landeskog, Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau and most of the other top forwards will probably go before there's a run on defensemen.  Larsson will probably go top 4-5...but you never know.  Fowler was the top D in most people's eyes right up to March last year.  He dropped out of the top 10.  The top D in this draft aren't likely to be Cam Fowlers right away, but there should be a pretty skilled defenseman available right up to 13-14. If you buy all that, I'd say keep the pick unless it's part of a deal to get a young, high-end, EL contract defenseman. Or a Sharkicorn.  That's a unicorn crossed with a Great White Shark.  They're slightly less rare than young, high-end, EL contract defensemen.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Larsson will not go past the top 2. Take it to the bank.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]Not sold on any of the prospects beyond #5 in this draft and think they all need development in juniors, oversees, or in college. In that case, I'd be fine trading it now or in the offseason. Not many are NHL ready guys like last year. If you can get into the top 5 (on the back of a Toronto implosion) and get Larsson, then I'd keep it.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    More or less correct. I'd say top 6 though. The "prime four" will go 1-4 in an unknown order, but after that there are 2 real good-looking PMD.