Flames, NHLPA at odds over safety equipment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Flames, NHLPA at odds over safety equipment

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/flames-nhlpa-at-odds-over-safety-equipment/related/

"It hasn’t been easy though, especially with captain Mark Giordano out with a broken ankle and forward Lee Stempniak nursing a broken foot. In an effort to prevent similar injuries in the future, Flames GM Jay Feaster has made it a mandatory team policy for all of his players to wear foot and ankle safety gear often called “shotblockers,” according to TSN. "

"The problem is that the NHLPA sees this as a violation of the CBA. “No team can unilaterally make a piece of equipment mandatory,” the NHLPA’s Mathieu Schneider said.

TSN has the relevant CBA passage if you’re inclined to read legalese, but basically changes like this are expected to go through a review process before it becomes a requirement. With that in mind, the NHLPA plans to discuss the Flames’ actions with the NHL."

Now that is what I call a Union helping to protect it's members. The statement coming from Schneider makes it more irritating.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Flames, NHLPA at odds over safety equipment

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

...captain Mark Giordano...

[/QUOTE]

I think the Flames have bigger issues, like the fact that they're absolutely horrible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

But with only 2 fewer wins and 3 fewer points that the Bruins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Ok hypothetically- what if it were Ken Holland, Chiarelli or Lamoriello had required their teams to wear "shotblockers" ?

Should teams be able to require it without input from the NHLPA ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

...captain Mark Giordano...

[/QUOTE]

I think the Flames have bigger issues, like the fact that they're absolutely horrible.

[/QUOTE]

Very funny, and very true.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Ok hypothetically- what if it were Ken Holland, Chiarelli or Lamoriello had required their teams to wear "shotblockers" ?

Should teams be able to require it without input from the NHLPA ?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.  There needs to be standards.  If not, who knows what the GMs would come up with!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Didnt the owner of the California Golden Seals make his team where white skates? They had so many coats of white paint on them the players complained they weighed so much...I know I've seen the commercial 7000 times on the NHL Network, but I think if a player wants to wear them, fine, but if not, thats his right,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE]

Didnt the owner of the California Golden Seals make his team where white skates? [/QUOTE]

Was that Charlie "Orange Baseballs" Finley ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from djstrome. Show djstrome's posts

Oops, was replying to another post. Sorry...