Florida

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Florida

I think I've made enough of a point about Dale Tallon being an idiot and not a genius.  But he might look like a genius again soon enough at this rate.  50-50 chance that they finish dead last, which means they'll draft one of Jones, Drouin or MacKinnon.  If it's Jones, a top three of Gudbranson, Jones, Kulikov could look pretty impressive in a few years.  If it's Drouin, a top line of Huberdeau-Drouin-(Kopecky?) will be every bit as impressive as Hall-RNH-Eberle.  If it's MacKinnon, that's a one-two punch as C that could be as offensively gifted as any in the league.  And they have Grimaldi in the pipeline.

Lots of dead weight on the roster for Tallon to move this year - what's Upshall's value on that team?  Are Mueller and Goc part of the long term plan?  Would it be better to move them?  Theodore as a rental back-up goalie? 

All very interesting as futures.  The question is whether or not Tallon can turn them into Chicago South rather the Oilers south.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: Florida

Since I have not read your other postings on Tallon, then I can't comment. From what I've seen and read, he's loved by his players, and he seems to have a pretty good handle on talent evaluation. Anyone can get lucky once - Glen Sather - so it does remain to be seen if he can do it again. That Chicago team was mostly his except for a few moves, mostly the Coaching Change.

He has found a way to get and acquire loads of Draft picks that are cheap and exciting, but building a team is another story. We'll see in the next couple of years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Weiss done for the year.  San will be crushed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Theodore as a rental back-up goalie? 

Out 5/6 weeks with a torn groin...don't think the B's want do deal with that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Make no mistake:  Huberdeau is awesome and Gudbranson is going to be.

Mueller, Goc, Kopecy, Fleischmann are all second line players on many teams.

Kulikov is a great #2 and Campbell is a good #1.

The jury is out on Markstrom and Shore

Almost everyone else is below average or injury prone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If i'm Tallon I would be on the phone with Jarmo Kekalainen for the #12 pick, Jackets might to trade that pick down. A 2nd rounder in this Junes draft and a prospect. Problem for Tallon is his current owners pocket book, he needs NHL ready prospects and can't afford to trade away any of his players under contract the next few years.

PS. I heard Raffi Torres was a steal for the Sabres at the deadline a few years ago, that would solve all the Bruins 3rd line problems lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

If i'm Tallon I would be on the phone with Jarmo Kekalainen for the #12 pick, Jackets might to trade that pick down. A 2nd rounder in this Junes draft and a prospect. Problem for Tallon is his current owners pocket book, he needs NHL ready prospects and can't afford to trade away any of his players under contract the next few years.

PS. I heard Raffi Torres was a steal for the Sabres at the deadline a few years ago, that would solve all the Bruins 3rd line problems lol

They don't really have much available in the prospect department.  After Grimaldi and Bjugstad, the are pretty bare.  Their drafting has been pretty atrocious.  They could throw in Howden, but would need a lot more than him and a 2nd to get the #12.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Since I have not read your other postings on Tallon, then I can't comment. From what I've seen and read, he's loved by his players, and he seems to have a pretty good handle on talent evaluation. Anyone can get lucky once - Glen Sather - so it does remain to be seen if he can do it again. That Chicago team was mostly his except for a few moves, mostly the Coaching Change.

He has found a way to get and acquire loads of Draft picks that are cheap and exciting, but building a team is another story. We'll see in the next couple of years.

Basically, there were posters here last year who thought Tallon was a genius.  He's not - for the same reason that Ray Shero is not and Chiarelli may well be.  That is, a great deal of his success is due to the team being awful at the right time, leading to the acquisition of Kane and Toews.  His moves at the draft and through signings and trades don't look like genius, including the acquisition of first Khabibulin and then Huet at huge dollar costs, adding Campbell for big dollars then watching him become the 3 or 4 D behind Keith and Seabrook.  People who give him too much credit point to Bochenski for Versteeg.  Well, that's one that was a low risk play for a 5th round pick, and it worked out in large part because Versteeg could hang with Kane.  No Kane and I think Versteeg struggles to become a regular.

Unlike Chiarelli or Shero, Tallon was the director of player development, Assistant GM and GM leading up to the lockout.  He was as responsible for the Hawks being bottom feeders as he was for their better moves in that span, including drafting Byfuglien, Bolland, Brouwer, Keith and Seabrook.  And, of course, he is responsible for fax-gate, but fax-gate wouldn't have been as big an issue if the Hawks weren't wasting dollars on players who didn't play for them.  You do have to give him credit for hiring Quenneville, I suppose, but that's not much different than taking Kane or Toews in the draft - low hanging fruit.

We'll see what happens in Florida.  Calling him an idiot is probably an over-reaction.  Better, maybe, to call him Brian Burke south.  He's active, he pulls the trigger on things and they either work or they don't.  If you're lucky as a GM, that's not a bad strategy - you either get better fast or you tank hard and have high draft picks.  Right now, they're tanking hard and look like they'll add another really top notch young player to Huberdeau, Kulikov and Gudbranson.  And the test for Tallon will be to make the necessary moves to surround those kids with supporting players - not named Kovalev.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In watching a lot of WCHA hockey, my impression is that Bjugstad is a real deal prospect and Grimaldi is not.  Grimaldi is terrific in the college game, but I really think he will struggle at the next level.  No news flash here, but he is tiny.  Smaller than listed.  He's Gerbe sized and doesn't seem as dominant as Gerbe in the NCAA.  He also really thrives on his speed in college, moving around slower defensemen.  He outskates people more than he outskills them.  I really wonder if he'll be able to do that with NHL guys defending him.  Gerbe has had some some success in the NHL, but it seems like a rare thing.  He literally has to outwork and out-hustle people every single night to be effective.  It will be interesting to see if guys like Grimaldi and Gaudreau can do that.  I'm doubtful about Grimaldi.

But to the greater point, yeah, I think Tallon is a mixed bag at best.  He may be heralded as a genius in a few years due to the collection of stud prospects and draft picks finally panning out.  But teams that stink for several consecutive years should have this happen.  What is remarkable, is when a GM manages to bring in top flight prospects at the same time as competing for a Cup, season after season.

Like say, winning a Cup in 2011 amid a streak of annual playoff appearances, but still having top-flight young prospects/players coming into the system, like Seguin and Hamilton.

Yes, I think the Bruins have the best GM in the league.  And it stills shocks me to say it.  Sure the draft record has been spotty, but this team reloads while they are winning.  An impressive feat.  Thank you Kessel...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Unlike Chiarelli or Shero, Tallon was the director of player development, Assistant GM and GM leading up to the lockout.  He was as responsible for the Hawks being bottom feeders as he was for their better moves in that span, including drafting Byfuglien, Bolland, Brouwer, Keith and Seabrook.  And, of course, he is responsible for fax-gate, but fax-gate wouldn't have been as big an issue if the Hawks weren't wasting dollars on players who didn't play for them.  You do have to give him credit for hiring Quenneville, I suppose, but that's not much different than taking Kane or Toews in the draft - low hanging fruit.

Just a pet peeve of mine, but it's 40 years since Watergate. Can we please, as a society, stop calling every minor scandal or controversey a "gate"? Not one of the hundreds of "gates" in the last four decades even come close to comparing to the original in terms of scope and severity. It's such a silly ginned up use of the word.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Just a pet peeve of mine, but it's 40 years since Watergate. Can we please, as a society, stop calling every minor scandal or controversey a "gate"? Not one of the hundreds of "gates" in the last four decades even come close to comparing to the original in terms of scope and severity. It's such a silly ginned up use of the word.

Red, it is an over used term but you have to get over your "Peeve"-gate, or you will go crazy.;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Isn't it funny? Ten years ago it was Horton and Bouwmeister.

I wish Florida more luck this time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Basically, there were posters here last year who thought Tallon was a genius."

Me, my hand is up high and I let my BC Eagle fandom trick me into Clemmenson (4.66 GAA BLACH) getting better and challenging for a permanent starters roll. I FAIL myself, heading to the back of the classroom to hide under the winter coats until the test is over. No emoticons needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Huberdeau is terrific. Another year, year and a half of so Gudbransons game will round into form. I like what I've seen from Markstrom.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Basically, there were posters here last year who thought Tallon was a genius.  He's not - for the same reason that Ray Shero is not and Chiarelli may well be.  That is, a great deal of his success is due to the team being awful at the right time, leading to the acquisition of Kane and Toews.  His moves at the draft and through signings and trades don't look like genius, including the acquisition of first Khabibulin and then Huet at huge dollar costs, adding Campbell for big dollars then watching him become the 3 or 4 D behind Keith and Seabrook.  People who give him too much credit point to Bochenski for Versteeg.  Well, that's one that was a low risk play for a 5th round pick, and it worked out in large part because Versteeg could hang with Kane.  No Kane and I think Versteeg struggles to become a regular.

In a way you are defeating your own argument here. He did get the easy ones as he should in Toews and Kane, but you do say he got the "lesser-lights" right, which is what the good GMs do. "Byfuglien, Bolland, Brouwer, Keith and Seabrook" were huge in the Cup run. As for fax-gate, ya he screwed up big. 

And yes the goaltending signing were very questionable, to put it nicely. And if not for Niemi, they don't win the cup

Campbell. I am a fan. I thought he was very solid and moved the puck extremely well in the Cup run. I saw a lot of the Hawks games, since they are such a pleasure to watch. (I only have so much time to watch games, so I pick the teams I like) He isn't Keith, but then again not many are. He is over-paid for a very good D man, but poor point producer, that was until last year. But I think that was due to him being the only decent D they had to send out, much like Toronto does with Phaneuf. Plus acquiring Campbell was an easy one - he could take on a good expensive player because it brought him to the cap floor. 

But the jury is still out on  him. If he doesn't start winning consistantly, with all that high-end young talent, and soon, then I think it is fair to trash him. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to one thing. Goaltending. You got it, you look good. You don't and you're an idiot. 

We'll see what happens in Florida.  Calling him an idiot is probably an over-reaction.  Better, maybe, to call him Brian Burke south.  He's active, he pulls the trigger on things and they either work or they don't.  If you're lucky as a GM, that's not a bad strategy - you either get better fast or you tank hard and have high draft picks.  Right now, they're tanking hard and look like they'll add another really top notch young player to Huberdeau, Kulikov and Gudbranson.  And the test for Tallon will be to make the necessary moves to surround those kids with supporting players - not named Kovalev.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Well I hope the kid plays well enough to get me points! I just picked him up, because Ward got hurt & the bastar...d I'm chasing for 1st grabbed Ellis on me as he dropped Bobrovsk. I'd take Khudo, but he doesn't play enough.