Front Office Power Struggle

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: Front Office Power Struggle

My thoughts are CJ must think we're all nuts. You stick to your guns and the fans bash you for being unable to change; you change it up and fans question your authority.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: Front Office Power Struggle:
    [QUOTE]My thoughts are CJ must think we're all nuts. You stick to your guns and the fans bash you for being unable to change; you change it up and fans question your authority.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. Between playing Rask, benching ineffective players late in the game, mixing up line combos, mixing up shootout choices, opening up the neutral zone, etc., shouldn't we be happy that the coach is making adjustments to what he sees out there? Evolving does not mean "flip flopping".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Claude wore flip flops? 

Let's not get all Causeway Place here.  I could see a discussion taking place where someone - CJ, Sweeney, PC, Neely, Charles in Charge, the Cryptkeeper, or any combination of the above - decided that the team wasn't going to be given the chance to lapse into the same complacency as last year.  As a consequence, lines were re-jigged so that we now see what seemed the most logical lineup in the offseason: Savard's the #1C, Bergeron and Recchi are together again and mentoring the superrookie.  The trade bait line is back together and showing signs of recapturing the chemistry, and the fourth line is, with the exception of Marchand beating out Paille, what we'd expected.  I'd guess this was the last straw before player movement: i.e. "this is the lineup we built in the offseason and we've never actually seen it in action; let's give it a chance before we alter the plan."  Same deal, really, with the tighter rein on ice time.  I still think you can only play ice time head games with players when there's a legit chance that someone will come in and take their jobs if given their ice.  Whitfield scared no one last year.  Caron?  Marchand moving up the lineup?  Sauve's speed?  Memories of Bartkowski in camp?  Paille in the press box, and playing well when he gets a chance?  Three lines that can be 'the line' on any given night?  Yeah, that's better.  Really, all we're seeing is what should happen when a team with depth runs into a bout of flatness.

I'm also guessing Julien didn't need a roadmap to find his way back to playing Rask on Monday after Thomas couldn't hold the fort against Buffalo.  He needs TR.  TR needs to play against teams the Bruins should beat for now.  And he was certainly motivated by the yank against Buffalo.  Plenty of reasons beyond a front office soap opera.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

If your in Claudes shoes, you know this season means alot, your going to coach, and live or die with your decisions.. If the front office pressures him to do things, and he does, he becomes immediate expendable..

If I am in his shoes, I know moving forward on, or not on the bruins is going to come down to the decisions I make, and the result on the ice.. You really want rumors to follow you that you started waffling from front office pressure?

I believe its a decision he made, maybe talking to rask/thomas.. but I doubt there was a ton of front office pressure. They want the bruins to win, claude should be using the parts he has to do so.. I can't see them saying, "hey thomas is winning to many games for us, and making PC look like a genius for extending him, get rask back in net"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pure speculation that there is a power struggle in the front office however Julien did not change his mind about Rask starting in Toronto on his own that is pure fiction.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

In Response to Re: Front Office Power Struggle:
    [QUOTE]Claude wore flip flops?  Let's not get all Causeway Place here.  I could see a discussion taking place where someone - CJ, Sweeney, PC, Neely, Charles in Charge, the Cryptkeeper, or any combination of the above - decided that the team wasn't going to be given the chance to lapse into the same complacency as last year.  As a consequence, lines were re-jigged so that we now see what seemed the most logical lineup in the offseason: Savard's the #1C, Bergeron and Recchi are together again and mentoring the superrookie.  The trade bait line is back together and showing signs of recapturing the chemistry, and the fourth line is, with the exception of Marchand beating out Paille, what we'd expected.  I'd guess this was the last straw before player movement: i.e. "this is the lineup we built in the offseason and we've never actually seen it in action; let's give it a chance before we alter the plan."  Same deal, really, with the tighter rein on ice time.  I still think you can only play ice time head games with players when there's a legit chance that someone will come in and take their jobs if given their ice.  Whitfield scared no one last year.  Caron?  Marchand moving up the lineup?  Sauve's speed?  Memories of Bartkowski in camp?  Paille in the press box, and playing well when he gets a chance?  Three lines that can be 'the line' on any given night?  Yeah, that's better.  Really, all we're seeing is what should happen when a team with depth runs into a bout of flatness. I'm also guessing Julien didn't need a roadmap to find his way back to playing Rask on Monday after Thomas couldn't hold the fort against Buffalo.  He needs TR.  TR needs to play against teams the Bruins should beat for now.  And he was certainly motivated by the yank against Buffalo.  Plenty of reasons beyond a front office soap opera.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

In the rear-view, pulling Rask seems like the right move. What hurts confidence for a young goalie more than letting in a bunch of goals? It will happen to everyone at times, but TR had a built-in excuse that game, and he certainly looked nothing like he did Monday night. Monday he looked solid, confident and prepared. The previous game he looked out of sorts.

I thought he should have played a little more previously, and I initially looked at the yanking as insulting, when at worst it was probably Claude's tendency to be protective of his players. 

Thomas' confidence wouldn't take a hit if he let in 100 straight goals. It was basically like the older brother coming in and taking the hit when the younger brother is having a bad day. The way they all handled it the next few days makes me think they might have a special collection of relationships in the locker room right now. Who complained after the fact? Thomas? Nope. Rask? Nope. Anyone else? Not that I know of. 

Those are very good signs for both the players and the organization in general. Bumps in the road and come out stronger. Good stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Sandog,
    I gott ask where it was said that Rask would sit, it was brought up yesterday on the radio here. And the question was brushed off as a don't believe everything you hear..

Neely said he doesn't interfere with the day to day of the team, thats claudes department, but went on to say he was very smart, and very calculating, and to his knowledge planned to play rask on monday.  That he was not with the team in buffalo and starting rask had been juliens decision...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

IF Neely got involved and the teams play since the Atlanta game was a direct result - great !
    I wouldn't call that a power struggle- he's on top of this organization, that gives him the hammer. He's here for the duration - the GM and Coach aren't. GO CAM!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

A short time ago, Peter stated that "important decisions are a group decision". When Claude pulled Rask he unequivocally said that Rask would work with Essenza. After that, No-one expected Rask to start in Toronto. Then Rask is told he will start. How best to salvage Rask was obviously an important decision that included discussions with Claude, Peter, Cam and anyone else in the hierarchy. IMO they also discussed game strategy, lines and what Claude should consider going forward. With all that in mind Claude's job is safe; Recchi will continue where he is[ IMO that's a big mistake]; Claude will MANAGE the on-ice product.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

There is no power struggle that we the public are aware of.  Neely is a PR figurehead, PC makes personnel choices and Julien runs the team.  There was no flip flop on goalies.  Rask said himself he was told he would start Sunday morning while Julien was saying he wouldn't in the media.  Julien did it to sheild his young player.  As far as benchings go, Claude knows a fundamental rule of leadership:  you don't get on your players when things are going bad.  People on here were crying for axes to fall on everyone when the B's were struggling but CJ stuck by his players.  Once the team started rolling again, he used the opportunity to light a fire under Horton and Savard.  He knows what he's doing.