Fun with Capgeek

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Fun with Capgeek

So with all the talk about what the B's will do as far as trades, UFA and RFA signings and whatnot, I decided to have a little fun with capgeek. I figure let's put numbers to the speculations and the "what would you do if you were the GM?" questions. 

I set the cap at $68M and made a few moves: Put Savard on LTIR, traded Thomas, signed Parise to a $7M deal, signed Kelly to a $3.2M deal, signed Rask for $3M, Campbell to a $2M deal and Paille to a $1.4M deal. All are pretty much what I think they could be signed for. Also, I'm assuming Dougie makes the squad. End result is what I think looks like a solid contender with $1.5M to spare. Have fun with it. Build a team and post it. Here's my 2012-13 Boston Bruins 21-man roster:

FORWARDS
    Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Zach Parise ($7.000m) 
    Brad Marchand ($2.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Tyler Seguin ($3.550m) 
    Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Chris Kelly ($3.200m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m) 
    Shawn Thornton ($1.100m) / Gregory Campbell ($2.000m) / Jordan Caron ($1.100m) 
    Daniel Paille ($1.400m) / 
    DEFENSEMEN
    Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) 
    Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) / Dougie Hamilton ($1.525m) 
    Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m) 
    GOALTENDERS
    Anton Khudobin ($0.875m) 
    Tuukka Rask ($3.000m) 
    BUYOUTS
    Patrick Eaves ($0.258m) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Fun with Capgeek

Fun how CapGeek has set the calculator up to play with. I don't think Campbell and Kelly will return they will get more than what you have up there. PC should overpay Paille a bit. I'd go $2M to keep Daniel way too valuable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Am I the only one who thinks we might have to find a replacement for Horton?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek:[QUOTE]Am I the only one who thinks we might have to find a replacement for Horton ? Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

No, Kane for Horton ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek : No, Kane for Horton ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I hope you mean Patrick :p

But seriously - does anyone else think he may not be in the lineup next year, joining Savard on the sidelines?

If that's the case don't any moves going forward have to address that first and foremost?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would think Horton would be back, but I am concerned. That's why I hope the Bruins sign Jagr. he could fill in, and would make a great 3rd liner if Horton is healthy.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek : I hope you mean Patrick :p But seriously - does anyone else think he may not be in the lineup next year, joining Savard on the sidelines? If that's the case don't any moves going forward have to address that first and foremost?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

OK, I don't mind playing fantasy GM. I traded Thomas and Pouliot for Purcell and a pick. I signed Jagr and Campbell at slight raises from last year, McDermit is the spare forward, Krug and Hamilton battling for the 6th D. Rask is signed for $3.5. This 22 man roster is against your estimated $68mil cap, but the Marc Savard removal gives a total of $4.6 in space, so there is room for call ups or late season acquisitions - and more importantly wiggle room for next year's RFA's. I love the idea of a "3rd" line of Purcell-Seguin-Jagr, which based on last year's stats would actually be the highest scoring line.

Roster SizeSalary CapSalary Cap PayrollBonusesSalary Cap Space
    22 $68,000,000 $63,313,333 $4,437,500 $4,686,667
    Left Wingers
    Centers
    Right Wingers
    Milan Lucic$4,083,333
    David Krejci$5,250,000
    Nathan Horton$4,000,000
    Brad Marchand$2,500,000
    Patrice Bergeron$5,000,000
    Rich Peverley$3,250,000
    Teddy Purcell$2,362,500
    EL
    Tyler Seguin
    $3,550,000
    Jaromir Jagr
    EL
    Jordan Caron
    $1,100,000
    Gregory Campbell
    Shawn Thornton$1,100,000
    Lane MacDermid

Left Defense
    Right Defense
    Zdeno Chara$6,916,667
    Johnny Boychuk$3,366,667
    Dennis Seidenberg$3,250,000
    Adam McQuaid$1,566,667
    Andrew Ference$2,250,000
    EL
    Dougie Hamilton
    $1,525,000
    EL
    Torey Krug
    $1,704,167

Goaltenders
    Anton Khudobin$875,000
    Tuukka Rask

Buyouts
    Patrick Eaves$258,333

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Jagr makes sense if you have a way-back machine, Sherman.

He wasn't bad with Philly, but I have my doubts about his willingness to play for Claude and his ability to produce big numbers in Claude's system.  He seems to think he'll be even better next year.

It's just as likely that Horton will be like Bergeron - back after a year, maybe a little slow to return to form - than like Savard.  My biggest worry is that, like Lucic, he was always better when playing on the edge.  If he loses that, he may turn into another Ryder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

If Satan or Ryder can play for Claude, so can Jagr. He may not want to, but I think he would fit in just fine. He only played 16-14 minutes a game last year, so CJ spreading out the minutes wouldn't bother him. Just like Recchi, I'm fine with him not being what he was, as long as he is what he is. 60pts and showing up for the playoffs seem like reasonable expectations from this past season. That would be great production from a 3.5mil cap hit.

[QUOTE]Jagr makes sense if you have a way-back machine, Sherman. He wasn't bad with Philly, but I have my doubts about his willingness to play for Claude and his ability to produce big numbers in Claude's system.  He seems to think he'll be even better next year. It's just as likely that Horton will be like Bergeron - back after a year, maybe a little slow to return to form - than like Savard.  My biggest worry is that, like Lucic, he was always better when playing on the edge.  If he loses that, he may turn into another Ryder.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm dangerous with Capgeek. Speaking of Savard, whats the cap hit when he is on LTIR?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Rask is not signed yet I'll try this later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I don't mind playing fantasy GM. I traded Thomas and Pouliot for Purcell and a pick. I signed Jagr and Campbell at slight raises from last year, McDermit is the spare forward, Krug and Hamilton battling for the 6th D. Rask is signed for $3.5. This 22 man roster is against your estimated $68mil cap, but the Marc Savard removal gives a total of $4.6 in space, so there is room for call ups or late season acquisitions - and more importantly wiggle room for next year's RFA's. I love the idea of a "3rd" line of Purcell-Seguin-Jagr, which based on last year's stats would actually be the highest scoring line. Roster Size Salary Cap Salary Cap Payroll Bonuses Salary Cap Space 22 $68,000,000 $63,313,333 $4,437,500 $4,686,667 Left Wingers Centers Right Wingers Milan Lucic $4,083,333 David Krejci $5,250,000 Nathan Horton $4,000,000 Brad Marchand $2,500,000 Patrice Bergeron $5,000,000 Rich Peverley $3,250,000 Teddy Purcell $2,362,500 EL Tyler Seguin $2,650,000 $3,550,000 Jaromir Jagr EL Jordan Caron $200,000 $1,100,000 Gregory Campbell Shawn Thornton $1,100,000 Lane MacDermid           Left Defense Right Defense Zdeno Chara $6,916,667 Johnny Boychuk $3,366,667 Dennis Seidenberg $3,250,000 Adam McQuaid $1,566,667 Andrew Ference $2,250,000 EL Dougie Hamilton $737,500 $1,525,000 EL Torey Krug $850,000 $1,704,167       Goaltenders Anton Khudobin $875,000 Tuukka Rask   Buyouts Patrick Eaves $258,333
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Not bad, Oates. I'm not crazy about Jagr and I would replace McDermid with Paille even if Paille costs a little more. Other than that, doesn't look too bad. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek : No, Kane for Horton ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

if we're going to give up that much, i'd rather brown

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's effectively $0, with a few complications. The wording is that you can exceed the cap by the player's salary, not that it comes off the books. That has a few implications on things like signing long-term contracts or going over the cap during the summer. e.g.: If the Bruins wanted to sign Parise to a very justifiable $8mil a year contract (he's a clutch super-talented game-breaker or whatever) and they planned to trade Thomas and use Savard's LTIR to do it, there might be a problem. Say the cap is at $65mil and the roster is currently at $64 including Savard and Thomas. The plan is to sign Parise July 1 and then field offers for Thomas over the summer, trading him before Oct 1 to get under the cap.  Because Savard is not injured during the summer, his cap hit counts during these months. During the summer you can exceed the cap by 10% so the most any team can have their salaries at is 65 + 10% = 71.5. If the Bruins signed Parise to an $8mil contract their cap hit would be $72 and the contract would be rejected even though Savard will be coming off the books in October. This is an extreme example that won't happen, but there are other scenarios where LTIR isn't quite as good as having the contract not on the books at all. Other examples are how you can't exceed the current year's cap in your long-term contracts. This has impact for people wanting to use Savard's cap hit to sign Parise as well as sign Seguin, Marchand and Lucic to extensions. If those contracts exceed the current cap projected into future years, the league will reject them. And the Bruins MUST include Savard's cap hit in that calculation unless he retires.

[QUOTE]I'm dangerous with Capgeek. Speaking of Savard, whats the cap hit when he is on LTIR?
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, rumours out of LA are that the Kings are dying to trade their captain for a guy with concussion history. I heard from a source that if the Kings win the cup, Brown is definitely out.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek : if we're going to give up that much, i'd rather brown
    Posted by patriotpat99[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I don't mind playing fantasy GM. I traded Thomas and Pouliot for Purcell and a pick. I signed Jagr and Campbell at slight raises from last year, McDermit is the spare forward, Krug and Hamilton battling for the 6th D. Rask is signed for $3.5. This 22 man roster is against your estimated $68mil cap, but the Marc Savard removal gives a total of $4.6 in space, so there is room for call ups or late season acquisitions - and more importantly wiggle room for next year's RFA's. I love the idea of a "3rd" line of Purcell-Seguin-Jagr, which based on last year's stats would actually be the highest scoring line. Roster Size Salary Cap Salary Cap Payroll Bonuses Salary Cap Space 22 $68,000,000 $63,313,333 $4,437,500 $4,686,667 Left Wingers Centers Right Wingers Milan Lucic $4,083,333 David Krejci $5,250,000 Nathan Horton $4,000,000 Brad Marchand $2,500,000 Patrice Bergeron $5,000,000 Rich Peverley $3,250,000 Teddy Purcell $2,362,500 EL Tyler Seguin $2,650,000 $3,550,000 Jaromir Jagr EL Jordan Caron $200,000 $1,100,000 Gregory Campbell Shawn Thornton $1,100,000 Lane MacDermid           Left Defense Right Defense Zdeno Chara $6,916,667 Johnny Boychuk $3,366,667 Dennis Seidenberg $3,250,000 Adam McQuaid $1,566,667 Andrew Ference $2,250,000 EL Dougie Hamilton $737,500 $1,525,000 EL Torey Krug $850,000 $1,704,167       Goaltenders Anton Khudobin $875,000 Tuukka Rask   Buyouts Patrick Eaves $258,333

Nice team OC. I see you are still standing behind your TT for Purcell idea which I support. Not sold on the 2012 post-season Jagr but I respect what he has done in his whole body of work. Being on the B's would mean he is not expected to carry the offensive load of the team and that may benefit him.

One issue though, your bonuses almost equal your available cap space. If there is no bonus carryover (overage) in the new CBA this team will, in fact have no cap space. Just nitpicking though. Good job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]Jagr makes sense if you have a way-back machine, Sherman. He wasn't bad with Philly, but I have my doubts about his willingness to play for Claude and his ability to produce big numbers in Claude's system.  He seems to think he'll be even better next year. It's just as likely that Horton will be like Bergeron - back after a year, maybe a little slow to return to form - than like Savard.  My biggest worry is that, like Lucic, he was always better when playing on the edge.  If he loses that, he may turn into another Ryder.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Think about why Jagr is still playing in the NHL. If he wanted money, KHL would be his league of choice. He wants to win a cup. Boston is a good fit for him, he is a good fit for Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Thanks, and I don't mind nitpicking. Actually, I thought capgeek included bonuses in its cap calculation. I would never advocate delaying bonus pay to the following year, that would be foolish. At the same time, I think you can be sure that both Krug and Hamilton will not be able to hit their bonuses (it's one or the other), so you would save some there.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek : Nice team OC. I see you are still standing behind your TT for Purcell idea which I support. Not sold on the 2012 post-season Jagr but I respect what he has done in his whole body of work. Being on the B's would mean he is not expected to carry the offensive load of the team and that may benefit him. One issue though, your bonuses almost equal your available cap space. If there is no bonus carryover (overage) in the new CBA this team will, in fact have no cap space. Just nitpicking though. Good job.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Paille is 10X the player McDermid is. I was thinking he doesn't want to be a spare forward, and to me Caron has shown he can play. I just threw McDermid on there as the guy that is most likely to stick around to sit in the press box. I would assume guys like Spooner are going to be skating in Providence if not in Boston.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek : Not bad, Oates. I'm not crazy about Jagr and I would replace McDermid with Paille even if Paille costs a little more. Other than that, doesn't look too bad. 
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, and I don't mind nitpicking. Actually, I thought capgeek included bonuses in its cap calculation. I would never advocate delaying bonus pay to the following year, that would be foolish. At the same time, I think you can be sure that both Krug and Hamilton will not be able to hit their bonuses (it's one or the other), so you would save some there. In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek :

You may well be right about capgeek including the bonuses. My mistake.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]Paille is 10X the player McDermid is. I was thinking he doesn't want to be a spare forward, and to me Caron has shown he can play. I just threw McDermid on there as the guy that is most likely to stick around to sit in the press box. I would assume guys like Spooner are going to be skating in Providence if not in Boston. In Response to Re: Fun with Capgeek :

You're right but I was thinking more along the lines of if you don't sign Jagr, You promote Caron to the 3rd line and add Paille back to the 4th.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

Here is the problem with signing parise though. hope on cap geek and try to make a roster for the first year of bergeron's next contract. hes going to get minimum 6 a year. Seguin will be getting over 5 (the tavares contract being a good starting point), Lucic will be getting 5. And if Parise is getting 7? good luck having a deep roster. If someone can show a decent lineup with Lucic at 5, Bergeron at 6, Krejci at 5.25, Marchand at 3.5, Seguin at 5.5, and Parise at 7 I'll be impressed. I tried and failed with the cap set at 70 mill

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]Here is the problem with signing parise though. hope on cap geek and try to make a roster for the first year of bergeron's next contract. hes going to get minimum 6 a year. Seguin will be getting over 5 (the tavares contract being a good starting point), Lucic will be getting 5. And if Parise is getting 7? good luck having a deep roster. If someone can show a decent lineup with Lucic at 5, Bergeron at 6, Krejci at 5.25, Marchand at 3.5, Seguin at 5.5, and Parise at 7 I'll be impressed. I tried and failed with the cap set at 70 mill
    Posted by patriotpat99[/QUOTE]

Not point out the obvious, but if the above listed guys are your top 6 forwards, and Z/Seids on D with Tuukka in net, that lineup will be way beyond decent.  Bottom 6 guys are a dime a dozen, and we know peverly is on the 3rd line which is a good start.