Game 1: NYR v. Bruins (16/05/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 1: NYR v. Bruins (16/05/13)

Preview:

***spoiler alert: looks like clowesey and powesey are still injured***

Season series: The New York Rangers and Boston Bruins met three times during the regular season, but haven't played since Feb. 12. Boston beat New York on opening night at TD Garden, 3-1. The Rangers won the next two meetings, including 4-3 in overtime on Jan. 23, when Marian Gaborik completed his hat trick with the overtime winner 27 seconds into the extra session. New York also pulled out a 4-3 shootout win on Feb. 12.

Big story: New York and Boston have rivalries in just about every sport, and the two cities typically see each other at playoff time (Knicks vs. Celtics, Yankees vs. Red Sox, Giants vs. Patriots in the Super Bowl), but this is the first time since 1973 the Rangers and Bruins have met in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. That series, won by the Rangers, was a rematch of the 1972 Stanley Cup Final, which was won by the Bruins.

Beyond their history, or lack thereof in the playoffs, the Rangers and Bruins enter the Eastern Conference Semifinals on a high. The Rangers came back from a 3-2 series deficit to beat the Washington Capitals, playing their best in a Game 7, 5-0 blowout. The Bruins pulled off a near miracle in Game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs to avoid fully blowing a 3-1 series lead.

Team Scope:

Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist enters the series with a shutout streak of 120 minutes. He did not allow a goal in either Game 6 or 7 against the Capitals after giving up the overtime winner to Mike Ribeiro in Game 5.

Rangers coach John Tortorella also appeared to find some line combinations he likes and he used those in practice Wednesday. That includes a big, physical third line of Brian Boyle between Derek Dorsett and Taylor Pyatt that likely will have to be effective against the big Bruins.

Tortorella also said he expects Rick Nash to be factor against the Bruins. He didn't have a goal against Washington.

"He played really well in Game 7 and really didn't have many bad games in the seven-game series in Washington," Tortorella said of Nash. "He didn't finish. He certainly wasn't totally on. But he's very close and I thought he played really well in Game 7. So, yeah, he's playing, and I think he's going to be a really big part of this as we enter into Boston."

However, the Rangers are dealing with some injury issues. Marc Staal (eye), Ryane Clowe (undisclosed) and Darroll Powe (undisclosed) didn't practice Wednesday and likely will not play in Game 1.

Bruins: Boston has its own injury problems and they are decimating the Bruins’ blue line.

Dennis Seidenberg, Andrew Ference and Wade Redden didn't practice Wednesday. Their availability for Game 1 is in doubt, leaving open the strong possibility that rookies Matt Bartkowski, Torrey Krug and Dougie Hamilton will play. Bartkowski and Hamilton played in Game 7 against Toronto, and Krug was recalled from the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League on Tuesday.

"This is going to be amazing," Krug said.

Bruins coach Claude Julien appears ready to pair each of the rookies with a veteran defenseman. In practice Wednesday, he had Zdeno Chara with Hamilton, Johnny Boychuk with Bartkowski, and Adam McQuaid with Krug.

However, Julien didn't rule out the possibility his injured veteran defensemen could play in Game 1.

"There are injuries, there's no hiding that fact, except that sometimes you can get players through those and sometimes you can't," Julien said. "Sometimes it's better not to practice and just to play. We're going to look at that situation."

Who's hot: Rangers forward Derick Brassard had nine points over the final five games against the Capitals. ... Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron scored the two most clutch goals of Boston's season in Game 7: the game-tying goal in the dying moments of regulation and the overtime winner.

Injury report: The Rangers have Staal (eye), Clowe (undisclosed) and Powe (undisclosed) on the sidelines. … The Bruins are missing Ference (lower body), Seidenberg (undisclosed) and Redden (undisclosed). Ference has been spotted wearing a walking boot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Game 1: NYR v. Bruins (16/05/13)

Boyle and Dorsett are going to be hitting everything in sight. Lucic, Horton, Paille, and Campbell need to make sure to do the same while staying out of the box. This is going to be a physical series.  I wish the puck would drop right now. I cant freaking wait.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Boyle and Dorsett are going to be hitting everything in sight. Lucic, Horton, Paille, and Campbell need to make sure to do the same while staying out of the box. This is going to be a physical series.  I wish the puck would drop right now. I cant freaking wait.

Boyle's a bit of a b*tch, however. Once ST or Lucic give him a "talking to" he will disappear. Dorsett is just a pitbull though.....the Eastern Clutterbuck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Boyle's a bit of a b*tch, however. Once ST or Lucic give him a "talking to" he will disappear. Dorsett is just a pitbull though.....the Eastern Clutterbuck.

No he wont.  Cartner went and throttled him last year.  Then Neil "took care" of it.  

Boyle will try and draw chara in.  They know he is so so key now more then ever.  They will work him hard.  i hate the rangers.  Gonna be a lot of tight gms. 2-1 for every game.  Rangers start the trap in warmup.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Agreed on all parts.  He did square off with McQuaid so he will answer the bell...just not from Lucic of ST.  Dorsett was definitely a good pickup, Brassard too obviously.  Good call on the Culutterbuck comparison.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I like Krug's attitude.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Boyle will try and draw chara in.  They know he is so so key now more then ever.  

Quite right. Chara is going to recieve extra attention with all the injuries. The youngans are really going to have to step up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm very indifferent about this Rangers team.  Outside of Nash and Lundqvist, the rest of them are just (in my opinion) run of the mill hockey players.  They show up, they play hard, they hit and block shots.  They play the game like hockey players.  Obviously that approach is working for them.

The B's can handle the physical abuse.  It's the frustration of not getting shots on goal that could drive them nuts.

Whatever.  BRUINS IN FOUR!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

They NEED to create traffic.  If lucic isnt hitting someone he should be planted right in front of the net at all times.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I wonder of the Garden audio folks will have "King Nothing" queued up?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Now that's just cruel...would be interesting to hear the Garden Organ version though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to DrCC's comment:

Now that's just cruel...would be interesting to hear the Garden Organ version though.

If i close my eyes i could just imagine Liberace wearing his sequined B's jersey belting out "King Nothing" on the piano with the candelabra burning bright.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fluto's take (and a shout-out to Kay Whitmore):

Good morning from TD Garden, where the Bruins will kick off the second round against the Rangers tonight.

The Bruins could be without three defensemen for Game 1: Dennis Seidenberg, Andrew Ference, and Wade Redden. Neither Seidenberg nor Ference practiced Wednesday. Redden took a quick spin, but did not stay on the ice for most of the session.

Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, and Torey Krug will have to assume blue-line responsibilities if any or all of the regulars are out.

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

TV/radio info: NBC Sports Network, 98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Rangers 0-0, Bruins 0-0

Projected Rangers lineup:

Mats Zuccarello-Derick Brassard-Rick Nash
    Carl Hagelin-Derek Stepan-Ryan Callahan
    Taylor Pyatt-Brian Boyle-Derek Dorsett
    Chris Kreider-Brad Richards-Arron Asham

Ryan McDonagh-Dan Girardi
    Michael Del Zotto-Anton Stralman
    Steve Eminger-John Moore

Henrik Lundqvist
    Martin Biron

Healthy scratches: Micheal Haley, Roman Hamrlik, Matt Gilroy

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Jaromir Jagr
    Rich Peverley-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Matt Bartkowski-Johnny Boychuk
    Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Aaron Johnson, Kaspars Daugavins, Carl Soderberg, Jay Pandolfo

Storylines: Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi will most likely be matched against the Bruins’ top line of Milan Lucic, David Krejci, and Nathan Horton. In turn, Zdeno Chara should be seeing most of his shifts against Rick Nash… The Rangers only scored on two of their 28 power-play chances in the first round against Toronto (7.1 percent)… Jaromir Jagr played for the Rangers for parts of four seasons. Girardi, Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal, and Ryan Callahan were Jagr’s teammates… Kay Whitmore is the series supervisor. Whitmore was the supervisor for the Bruins-Leafs series… Chris Rooney and Brad Meier will be the referees. Scott Driscoll and Derek Amell will be the linesmen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

If i close my eyes i could just imagine Liberace wearing his sequined B's jersey belting out "King Nothing" on the piano with the candelabra burning bright.

lol....scented candles of course.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Brad Marchand leaves practice in pain not good. The source WEEI

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

It happened on a two on one drill, they are saying he pulled something. WTF!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Crap.....time for the Yeti?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

IF Marchand can not go they will be major line changes. Everybody better bring their hard hats which i know the bruins will.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Matt Bartkowski-Johnny Boychuk
    Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid

Wow.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Crap.....time for the Yeti?

JMW, that is the last thing i needed to hear. Watch him score to. I am proceeding with caution on my thoughts. lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

None of the 3 injured D were at the morning skate, either.  Those D pairings are looking likely.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I feel bad for A. Johnson.  I mean, I'm looking forward to seeing Krug and am happy they called him up...But imagine if you're Johnson?  They just refuse to play you under any circumstances.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Let the boxing begin and not the pugilistic form. 

It's the series where ugly goals (going to the net) are like "Gold" . 

p.s. Marchand is okay and Julien said he'll play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I feel bad for A. Johnson.  I mean, I'm looking forward to seeing Krug and am happy they called him up...But imagine if you're Johnson?  They just refuse to play you under any circumstances.

After he took the "puck over the glass" penalty against the Habs that led to the PP goal to tie the game in the waning seconds, he hasn't seen much ice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I don't think the Rangers cycle as good as a lot of other teams...They like crowding the front of the net and getting the garbage goals.