Game 5: Leafs v. Bruins (10/05/13), 3-1 B's Series Lead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Game 5: Leafs v. Bruins (10/05/13), 3-1 B's Series Lead

Big story: Can the Boston Bruins make the most of their first chance to close the series? Or will the Toronto Maple Leafs have a repeat of their Game 2 effort, when they won in Boston?

Team Scope:

Maple Leafs: While they'll miss defenseman Mark Fraser, the Maple Leafs were happy to hear from their teammate less than 24 hours after watching him taken to the hospital after being hit in the face by a shot in Game 4 against the Bruins on Wednesday.

Fraser needed surgery, but was texting and talking with teammates Thursday morning.

"Mark Fraser is resting at home and he had surgery [Wednesday] to repair a fracture between the eyes and cranial area," coach Randy Carlyle said Thursday. "I don't know if you'd call it a fractured skull; I think that's a little too severe. He was texting and in conversation with his teammates [Thursday] before 8 a.m. He's now back on the road to recovery."

Fraser will not play in Game 5, and Carlyle said the Maple Leafs will miss him.

"He's a physical guy that is not known for his offensive abilities, but he's out there to make people pay the price and for his defensive ability," Carlyle said. "Any time you lose a player like that, somebody else has to step up. As a team, if we can capture the energy and execution level and stay with the program, there will be some benefits for us in this next game."

Bruins: While the Bruins were celebrating David Krejci's overtime goal to win Game 4 against the Maple Leafs, Boston's Nathan Horton was just picking himself up off the ice after a hard hit from Toronto captain Dion Phaneuf.

"I knew he was coming," Horton said of Phaneuf. "I tried to get myself around him, too, when I chipped the puck and obviously he took me out and I couldn't get around him. But it worked out well because Dave got it."

Horton said Thursday he felt fine and should be ready for Game 5.

"I feel good," Horton said. "It's obviously a big win for us. I think everybody feels good today. But we know the job's not done. The last one's always the hardest."

Who's hot: Krejci's hat trick in Game 4 gave the center a League-best five goals and 10 points. … Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul had a goal and an assist in Game 4, his second multipoint game of the series.

Injury report: In addition to Fraser, the Maple Leafs are without defenseman Michael Kostka (finger).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Game 5: Leafs v. Bruins (10/05/13), 3-1 B's Series Lead

As Stanley pointed out last night, Bartkowski was called up.

So, will one of the regular D men sit tonight?

If so, who?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

As expected, Fraser is out for tonight after having skull surgery.

JM Liles is likely to replace him. With him and Gardiner in the lineup the B's better lay on the body pretty thick tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Thankfully we are a healthy bunch this playoff year...We have Bartkowski, Hamilton and Johnson on the side lines, for defencemen.

I don't see the Bruins changing anyone up on the defence. I wonder if they know something know one else knows about, injury wise on the d-line ?

With Providence going into the second round, why would PC call up Bartkowski when they could use him on the farm for their second round ?

We will see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

GNB's (Fluto-Hags hybrid?) take:

***Spoiler: None***

Good morning from TD Garden, where there could be handshakes tonight. The Bruins will look to close out the Leafs.

The Bruins are not expected to make any lineup changes. Matt Bartkowski was recalled Thursday for depth purposes.

John-Michael Liles will dress in place of Mark Fraser, who is out with facial fractures. Fraser was injured in Game 4 when Milan Lucic hit him in the forehead with a shot.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Leafs 1-3, Bruins 3-1

Projected Leafs lineup:

Joffrey Lupul-Tyler Bozak-Phil Kessel
    James van Riemsdyk-Mikhail Grabovski-Nikolai Kulemin
    Clarke MacArthur-Nazem Kadri-Matt Frattin
    Leo Komarov-Jay McClement-Colton Orr

Carl Gunnarsson-Dion Phaneuf
    Jake Gardiner-Cody Franson
    John-Michael Liles-Ryan O’Byrne

James Reimer
    Ben Scrivens

Healthy scratches: Ryan Hamilton, Joe Colborne, Frazer McLaren, Jesse Blacker

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Rich Peverley-Chris Kelly-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk
    Wade Redden-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Dougie Hamilton, Aaron Johnson, Matt Bartkowski, Kaspars Daugavins, Carl Soderberg, Jay Pandolfo

Storylines: The Leafs also called up a spare defenseman Thursday. Jesse Blacker will be a healthy scratch. No sign of Mike Komisarek, unfortunately… David Krejci is the leading playoff scorer (5-5—10). Krejci is coming off a hat trick in Game 4. Krejci, Milan Lucic, and Nathan Horton should see plenty of Dion Phaneuf and Carl Gunnarsson… Providence starts its second round of the playoffs tonight. Providence rallied from an 0-2 deficit in the first round to beat Hershey in the opening round… The Bruins are 9-8 all-time in Game 5 when they have a 3-1 series lead… Paul Devorski and Dan O’Halloran will be the referees. Derek Amell and Tim Nowak will be the linesmen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

With Providence going into the second round, why would PC call up Bartkowski when they could use him on the farm for their second round ?

We will see.

Rumblings of Redden being on the mend...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Seems that Liles will be with O'Byrne on the third pairing.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=422833

Considering CJ has last change they should be eaten alive....

According to Gunnarson the key to shutting down the Krecji line is to be physical...have fun with that against Lucic and Horton Carl.

Got to love Bud fans, more than a few suggesting (thanks in no small part to Jim Hughson) that Jake Gardiner is the best young player on both teams. He is actually 2 years older than Seguin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Very interesting article by Grange from Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/grange-on-leafs-is-carlyle-missing-the-point/

In short, his take is that the Leafs need to be less physical and use a run-n-gun speed game against the Bruins if they want to have a chance.

I have my doubts as to the wisdom of this. First, run-n-gun only works if the other team complies and I doubt CJ will let his team fall into that trap.

Second, this is the Wilson era Leaf tactic. Didn't work then and probably won't work now...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I'm inclined to think that mentally the Leafs are done. Not making a prediction as I know how cockiness can curse the Bs but the pressure could be too much for a relatively young and inexperienced team. Leafs sure have played with some passion though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Run-n-gun only works against Boston when you've got good goaltending, or at least D capable of making timely stops against rushes.  Otherwise, you're hoping that Rask and Chara can't stop your forwards as often as the Krejci and Bergeron lines get through.  As maligned as the Bruins offense is, they eat up poor defense and goaltending.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

Thankfully we are a healthy bunch this playoff year...We have Bartkowski, Hamilton and Johnson on the side lines, for defencemen.

I don't see the Bruins changing anyone up on the defence. I wonder if they know something know one else knows about, injury wise on the d-line ?

We will see.

Haggs is saying Redden is day-to-day and out tonight (sehen Jimwalters comment). Bartkowski will probably be in the lineup because he's a lefty shot, as opposed to Hamilton who is a righty shot.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/redden-day-day-out-game-5

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Redden is out for tonight's game.  

That's good news on the Boychuk front.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

I'm inclined to think that mentally the Leafs are done. Not making a prediction as I know how cockiness can curse the Bs but the pressure could be too much for a relatively young and inexperienced team. Leafs sure have played with some passion though.

Absolutely not.  They have nothing to lose, everything to gain and can afford to take more chances.

On the other hand the Bruins really want to win this, they really want to close the series and get a rest.

More pressure on the Bruins to win this one, no pressure on the Leafs at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

They got them by the jugular...Now clamp down & finish them as a appetizer for round 2. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Don't kid yourself Badhab. The Leafs are always under pressure, and year round, due to intense year round media of hockey in Canada. Ditto Montreal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Run-n-gun only works against Boston when you've got good goaltending, or at least D capable of making timely stops against rushes.  Otherwise, you're hoping that Rask and Chara can't stop your forwards as often as the Krejci and Bergeron lines get through.  As maligned as the Bruins offense is, they eat up poor defense and goaltending.

Bingo.....if they try that the B's will destroy them. Jagr's dream of more open ice also.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

my first post in many months... and i'm here to disagree with the "the 4th game is the hardest to win" assertion. it's what coaches say to their players to keep them playing desperate hockey, and not play like they have games to burn. in REALITY we see exactly what we saw last night, if you get a two goal lead, the nearly-eliminated team QUITS. how is this the most difficult game to win? BUT...tied or within a goal, the team nearly-eliminated will continue to have some hope, and play hard. as soon as the lead is stretched to 2 goals, they start thinking of family vacations and golf outings. that being said, here's to watching the leafs quit on garden ice tonight! go b's!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:

my first post in many months... and i'm here to disagree with the "the 4th game is the hardest to win" assertion. it's what coaches say to their players to keep them playing desperate hockey, and not play like they have games to burn. in REALITY we see exactly what we saw last night, if you get a two goal lead, the nearly-eliminated team QUITS. how is this the most difficult game to win? BUT...tied or within a goal, the team nearly-eliminated will continue to have some hope, and play hard. as soon as the lead is stretched to 2 goals, they start thinking of family vacations and golf outings. that being said, here's to watching the leafs quit on garden ice tonight! go b's!

Good to see ya post again !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

Hope the bruins take the leafs out tonight on home ice. They don't want to be in a position to have to play game 6 and 7 on back to back nights. I think they could really use some rest before the next series so I think this is a great oppurtunity tonight I hope they sieze it. I will be working 12 hours tonight so won't be able to watch the game but will be following closely on my smart phone at work go bruins! If they bring the effort I like their chances tonight if the effort is like it was in game 2 this series is heading back to toronto for game 6.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

They got them by the jugular...Now clamp down & finish them as a appetizer for round 2. 

+1

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Looking for the Bergeron line to break-out tonight.  These guys are too good to be this quiet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

The last hour till game time feels like 2 hours.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to DrCC's comment:

Bingo.....if they try that the B's will destroy them. Jagr's dream of more open ice also.

I would Love to see Jagr score a nice goal.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Bruins being more cryptic than usual about injuries... won't even say if Redden is upper-body or lower-body? Did anyone see anything on this? Someone here mentioned Redden being an under the radar pickup at the deadline... he's been better than Jagr if you can even compare the two.