GM meeting, goalies, faceoffs, video replay etc...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

GM meeting, goalies, faceoffs, video replay etc...

Some good things coming out of the meeting.

On goalie equipment

-Colin Campbell describes quest to reduce size of goalie equip as a "frustrating project". More reductions coming with PA involved.

-NHL goalie guru Kay Whitmore says the specific goalie equipment recommendation is (1) to shorten the height of the goalie pad above the knee

-And (2) to make sure the knee pad is less bulky and more conforming.

Icing

-GMs voted today to bring in hybrid icing next season but it needs NHLPA blessing via Competition Committee

Video review

-Campbell says additional video review might be considered on double-minor penalty for High sticking.

-Coach's Challenge video review idea is a no-go for now after much discussion today. GMs felt it was too difficult to establish criteria.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: GM meeting, goalies, faceoffs, video replay etc...

Goalie equipment is out of control.  I've been saying it for years.  We can't have it go back to 1980 size, because today's shooters will turn every game into lacross/ASG scoring, bring it down to create more 4-3, 5-4 games instead of 2-1, 1-0, 1-1 shootouts would be great.  Most people don't pay top dollar to see great saves.

Hybrid icing:  Stupid.  Just go with no touch and that's that.

Coaches challenge:  Stupid.  After a big call, have someone in Toronto look at it.  Put a light over the scorer's table.  Have the refs come when called.

Visors:  Make 'em mandatory with the grandfather clause.  Seriously.  Enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The NHL proposed rule changes are a bit like Canon Law.  Slow, certainly the rationale is to keep the basic integrity of the game.  The issue I have is it's reluctance to change with the advanced technology.    

On the subject, the topic of larger nets was mentioned by one GM.  Like Canon Law the size of goalies and their equipment will not be changed with that thought any time soon.  Simply put, larger nets and let the current equipment sizing remain.  The visors is a no brainer.  The hybrid icing again slowly moving to no touch as mentioned by NAS.  

Pet peeve:  I have said this so many times, one referee system, please.  Place the second referee in the press box to review the game officiating.  The on ice official would have total control of the game  without interference from the other press box official.  The press box official then would review the game afterwards with the on ice offical and submit for NHL any controversial calls etc.  The next game the officials would alternate their roles.  The technology is available.  It does not change the game, actually returns it back to the one referee.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Goalie equipment is out of control.  I've been saying it for years.  We can't have it go back to 1980 size, because today's shooters will turn every game into lacross/ASG scoring, bring it down to create more 4-3, 5-4 games instead of 2-1, 1-0, 1-1 shootouts would be great.  Most people don't pay top dollar to see great saves.

Coaches challenge:  Stupid.  After a big call, have someone in Toronto look at it.  Put a light over the scorer's table.  Have the refs come when called.

I agree with all of this, except the coaches challenge. I think with the inconsistencies of the refs; the coach should be able to challenge certain penalties called. One that comes to mind the most is the Bergeron call that he got in game 7 in 2011 against Montreal,  when JW threw his head back & the video showed that Bergeron didn't hit him at all. Montreal got the PP & P.K scored to tie the game. It worked out OK in the end, I think we can all be in agreement how we would've had some sour grapes if the Habs would've won that series in O.T.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

The NHL proposed rule changes are a bit like Canon Law.  Slow, certainly the rationale is to keep the basic integrity of the game.  The issue I have is it's reluctance to change with the advanced technology.    

On the subject, the topic of larger nets was mentioned by one GM.  Like Canon Law the size of goalies and their equipment will not be changed with that thought any time soon.  Simply put, larger nets and let the current equipment sizing remain.  The visors is a no brainer.  The hybrid icing again slowly moving to no touch as mentioned by NAS.  

Pet peeve:  I have said this so many times, one referee system, please.  Place the second referee in the press box to review the game officiating.  The on ice official would have total control of the game  without interference from the other press box official.  The press box official then would review the game afterwards with the on ice offical and submit for NHL any controversial calls etc.  The next game the officials would alternate their roles.  The technology is available.  It does not change the game, actually returns it back to the one referee.  

I don't understand your logic here. How does that correct mistakes that are made on the game that is being played at that moment? Sorry Is, but the NHL already has the chief ref. They already review every game & talk to the refs about missed calls etc. So, how is your idea going to correct anything?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

What the hell is this ???  Grandfather ?

Seems like the PA does not want Hybird anyways. I wonder if it's the no touch they're aiming for, it is for their own safety, no ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

What the hell is this ???  Grandfather ?

Seems like the PA does not want Hybird anyways. I wonder if it's the no touch they're aiming for, it is for their own safety, no ?

Same thing they did with helemts - players already in the league would not be forced to wear a visor, it would be optional. All new players would be mandated to wear one. It's why Mactavish was still playing in 1997 without a helmet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Excellent post. Great ideas. I'd like to add that the visor instigator should be removed as well. For that matter pitch the instigator penalty altogether if the other player drops the gloves, if he turtles and takes punches give him the penalty then.

Also enforce the 3rd man in rule in fights. Or clarify when it should apply.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Same thing they did with helemts - players already in the league would not be forced to wear a visor, it would be optional. All new players would be mandated to wear one. It's why Mactavish was still playing in 1997 without a helmet.

thanks Red.  where do they come up by calling it "Grandfather " ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

"Grandfather clause" has its roots in the reconsruction and Jim Crow laws. It put in new voter restrictions but exempted people whose ancestors - "grandfathers" - could vote prior to the Civil War (read: white people). It's a political concept that has been used colloquially since to refer to any circumstance where a law or rule is only applied to people who have not yet been covered by it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

"Grandfather clause" has its roots in the reconsruction and Jim Crow laws. It put in new voter restrictins but exempted people whose ancestors - "grandfathers" - could vote prior to the Civil War (read: white people). It's a political concept that has been used colloquially sinc to refer to any circumstance where a law or rule is only applied to people who have not yet been covered by it.

Love it !  thanks Red, I'm a smarter person now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Etymology can be fun :)

And on topic, it baffles me why they don't just go to no touch. As I understand the hybrid rule, it actually allows the play to continue it what could be the most dangerous scenarios.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

"Grandfather clause" has its roots in the reconsruction and Jim Crow laws. It put in new voter restrictins but exempted people whose ancestors - "grandfathers" - could vote prior to the Civil War (read: white people). It's a political concept that has been used colloquially sinc to refer to any circumstance where a law or rule is only applied to people who have not yet been covered by it.

PWTT! Smarter? Don't you have to have a start on smart, before you can add the er'! :-D

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

PWTT! Smarter? Don't you have to have a start on smart, before you can add the er'! :-D

Zero times any number is still zero?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Etymology can be fun :)

And on topic, it baffles me why they don't just go to no touch. As I understand the hybrid rule, it actually allows the play to continue it what could be the most dangerous scenarios.

I see the no touch rule leading to the slow death of the long bomb breakaway pass. There are literally thousands of races for loose pucks every season and the resulting injuries are very few. I also don't feel the players should be forced to wear visors. They're men who can decide for themselves how to best protect themselves. I was never hit as hard and as often as I was in the season in which 1/2 shields were made mandatory in my men's league. I felt like I lost all of my peripheral vision. Due to the vision loss, I felt I was even less safe out there with the visor. My league eventually scrapped the rule due to the huge backlash from the players. Coincidentally, nobody has lost an eye in the 23 years I've been associated with the league but there have been countless concussions. I'm very interested to see how the PA vote on the proposed rule changes will turn out. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Zero times any number is still zero?

Ohhh LOL! You gonna take that Legion? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I can't believe you haven't heard this used before. You're pulling our legs right ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

My point is it does not change the mistakes at that moment.  Over the long run two people work to make changes in officiating.  Those changes will positively make the officiating better.  Sorry, I was a teacher, team work is better than two individuals trying to make things correct in an instantaneous momemt.  Team work always.  BTW one referee makes the play more even as the players know the nature of the calls from one referee.  Technology is the key, make it work for the better of officiating.  

In response to islamorada's comment:

I don't understand your logic here. How does that correct mistakes that are made on the game that is being played at that moment? Sorry Is, but the NHL already has the chief ref. They already review every game & talk to the refs about missed calls etc. So, how is your idea going to correct anything?