Goalie Masks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Goalie Masks

I thought some of you might enjoy this:

http://sports.ca.msn.com/nhl/photos/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=27867065

Gary Broomley's is my particular favorite....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

Re: Goalie Masks

the best vintage plastic mask of all time was worn by jimmy craig of team usa and jimmy craig is also the second best goaler of all time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Good thread.  I will say, I don't like the new masks in the league. The arists make them way, way too busy with the designs. Terrible.

Give me simple and one dimensional. As if Andy Moog's wasn't cool?

Top 3 ever:

1. Cheevers
    2. Gilles Gratton
    3. Jacques Plante

That Gary Bromley one was cool, too. 

Steve Shields's tribute to Cheevers was a nice touch.  Always liked Felix Potvin's, Moog's with Boston ('92/'93 version) and Mike Richter's.

Even Darren Pang had a great one for Chicago in the late 80s.

I liked Jacques Cloutier's from Quebec when he was there in the early 90s.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

THE COBRA

BILLY SMITH

MURRAY BANNERMAN

GERRY CHEEVERS ~ PRE STITCHES

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What's amazing when you look at that Cheevers photo is the size of the equipment goalies use today and how much at a disadvantage goalies were back then.

Remember Giguere's shoulder pads in 2003? I swear those were illegal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I like Mike Palmateer's when he was with Washington. I always liked John Davidson's Ranger mask as well. I'm at work & can't get links to pics.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Both his Leafs and Caps masks were cool.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Goalie Masks:
    [QUOTE]What's amazing when you look at that Cheevers photo is the size of the equipment goalies use today and how much at a disadvantage goalies were back then. Remember Giguere's shoulder pads in 2003? I swear those were illegal.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Those pads were ridiculous. I remember just a couple of years ago, before the allged crackdown, that Luongo had his shoulderpads hooked up so when he went into the butterfly they would elevate higher to cover the top corners better...yeesh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

The pics ae great...The Hockey News put out a commemorative Greatest Masks of all Time edition about three years ago.  It was awesome, most of those pics were including along with so many more.  I believe you can still order copies on line, it's a fanastic edition.  They alos followed it up with one about Jerseys which was great too.

Hey does anyone remember when Moog played for team Canada, think he had a dispute with Edmonton, he wore a full I-Tech clear shield in nets, it was the first and probably only time.  Believe he played in the Olympics with it.

Can't find a picture anywhere.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Found it, that's Moog with his full I-Tech at '88 Calgary Olympics, couldn't find any other ones.  It was really neat to see, I remember doing a double take.

Sorry photo's not that great.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Great post jhwalters. Brought back some great memories. I wore an umpiries mask for 3 seasons in net in public school. You could just about put your fist through my eye holes ! The chin pad barely covered my chin. I still have it. I  hang it in my room.  Oh just to be clear. The first goalie to wear a mask in the NHL was from I think the 30's. A goalie by the name of Clint Benidict. I had a book called "Mad Men of Hockey" and his pic was in there. Also, in there was a pic of Howie Meeker giving the business to someone. He is posed on one knee with a hockey player draped over and his fist up in the air. Best Howie Meeker pic I ever saw. I"m rambling now. Time to warm up the milk and get ready for the Bruins game. On with 7 !!!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Benedict...can you imagine??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Benedict...can you imagine??
    Posted by Nolakanookie[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA!!! Ohh man!!! What exactly would have been the point to wearing that. A broken rather than shattered nose?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]the best vintage plastic mask of all time was worn by jimmy craig of team usa and jimmy craig is also the second best goaler of all time.
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]

Plastic???

Jimmy Craig wore the same mask, Cheevers, Johnston, Gilbert and many other goalies from the area (I have 2) at that time frame - it was a form-fit fiberglass mask made by Ernie Higgins in Norwood Mass.

We all appreciate what Craig did for a week in the Olympics but he was a failure in Atlanta and a failure for the short stint with the Bruins.  Calling him the second best of all time as well as describing the masks as "plastic" tells me you are about 12 and now I understand some of your other goaltending related silly talk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Good thread.  I will say, I don't like the new masks in the league. The arists make them way, way too busy with the designs. Terrible. Give me simple and one dimensional. As if Andy Moog's wasn't cool? Top 3 ever: 1. Cheevers 2. Gilles Gratton 3. Jacques Plante That Gary Bromley one was cool, too.  Steve Shields's tribute to Cheevers was a nice touch.  Always liked Felix Potvin's, Moog's with Boston ('92/'93 version) and Mike Richter's. Even Darren Pang had a great one for Chicago in the late 80s. I liked Jacques Cloutier's from Quebec when he was there in the early 90s.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  the new masks are cookie-cutter and boring now.  Paint is so busy you can't understand it.

While I preferred the Higgins masks like Cheevers and Gilberts, the Plante-styles were nice, and I really liked Tony Esposito's (before he added that ridiculous eye cage thingy) and a very similar but even meaner Al Smith.

Mike Liut/Michel Dion masks were also nice, as were the Lefty Wilson Desjardins/
    Sawchuk jobs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]THE COBRA BILLY SMITH MURRAY BANNERMAN GERRY CHEEVERS ~ PRE STITCHES
    Posted by jaymiller[/QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance Jay but who is the Cobra. I am too lazy to look it up but love his getup....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goalie Masks : Pardon my ignorance Jay but who is the Cobra. I am too lazy to look it up but love his getup....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

It was Gary Simmons

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

[URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/b76b97122025306][IMG]http://thumbnails27.imagebam.com/12203/b76b97122025306.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goalie Masks : Pardon my ignorance Jay but who is the Cobra. I am too lazy to look it up but love his getup....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Glenn “Chico” Resch took a few minutes to talk to TheScore.com about his favourite goalie masks of all-time. Resch’s taste in masks is rather classic. He recalls a few greats like Gary Simmons’ ‘cobra mask’ and Gary Bromley’s skull.
    http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/11/19/video-glenn-chico-resch-talks-favourite-goalie-masks/

http://thegoaliemaskreview.blogspot.com/2010/04/gary-simmons-mask-review.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I like Mike Palmateer's when he was with Washington. I always liked John Davidson's Ranger mask as well. I'm at work & can't get links to pics.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I also liked Doug Favells Higgins with the huge Leaf on it when he was with Toronto and of course the "pumpkin" paint job and "sunburst" from Philly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goalie Masks : I also liked Doug Favells Higgins with the huge Leaf on it when he was with Toronto and of course the "pumpkin" paint job and "sunburst" from Philly.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goalie Masks : Agreed.  the new masks are cookie-cutter and boring now.  Paint is so busy you can't understand it. While I preferred the Higgins masks like Cheevers and Gilberts, the Plante-styles were nice, and I really liked Tony Esposito's (before he added that ridiculous eye cage thingy) and a very similar but even meaner Al Smith. Mike Liut/Michel Dion masks were also nice, as were the Lefty Wilson Desjardins/ Sawchuk jobs.

Agreed for the most part - some modern players still come out with decent clean and interesting designs. My current favourite is Brianne McLaughlin's from Team USA - not as awesome as some  of the ones from the past, but still a clean interesting mask and sticks with the team.

http://www.tyleringramphotos.com/set/72157623291986166/3896696059

And if you want really vintage (but not painted) there's this one from 1927 worn by Elizabeth Graham - first goalie to ever wear a mask. She just had dental surgery so she put this on to protect her teeth. It's a fencing mask (this isn't the actual mask - that was lost to a fire - but it's the same make, model, and year).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goalie Masks : Plastic??? Jimmy Craig wore the same mask, Cheevers, Johnston, Gilbert and many other goalies from the area (I have 2) at that time frame - it was a form-fit fiberglass mask made by Ernie Higgins in Norwood Mass. We all appreciate what Craig did for a week in the Olympics but he was a failure in Atlanta and a failure for the short stint with the Bruins.  Calling him the second best of all time as well as describing the masks as "plastic" tells me you are about 12 and now I understand some of your other goaltending related silly talk.

Sorry, I asked you this before and then I forgot which thread it was in. What is your avatar a photo of?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

forget the masks...look at jmwalters avatar! now we're talkin'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]forget the masks...look at jmwalters avatar! now we're talkin'
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

are those frogs? maybe a tribute to our favorite frogs: savard, bergeron, and bourque.