Great Expectations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Great Expectations?

I was getting to the point before this year of just hoping to see the Bruins win the Stanley Cup ONCE in my lifetime.

Now that it's happened I feel like I could bask in the glory for quite some time before getting itchy to see another one. But there's also part of me now that has raised expectations--and given the young, talented core nucleus of the team I'm even optimistic that getting to the Promised Land again isn't so far fetched.

Curious to see how others feel about their expectations for the team.

How far would you say they have to go next year (if they don't win the Cup) for the year to be deemed a success?

How hungry are you for the next Cup win and how long a drought (let's hope not another 39 years) would it be before you get itchy for another?

We all know how tough it is to win multiple Cups in the cap era, much less to repeat.

So how much time has the 2011 Cup win brought the Bruins in your opinon?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: Great Expectations?

1) 1 or 2 playoff series wins (1 if the one playoff win is against Montreal)
    2) 10 years - Don't get greedy, but the team is poised for a long run of contention. But the Bs won a cup in my lifetime, that's all I was asking for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

TTBI,  a Stanley Cup was an ultimate after watching the Bs of the 70s, 80s and early 90s fail.  BTW the teams they lost to were dynasty types:  Montreal and Edmonton, Pittsburg as well.  My expectations are to win the Cup again to prove all that the Bs did not win by "luck".  They have a number of young forwards in particular who could have an impact on the seasons ahead in Seguin, Spooner, Caron, and (Dougie-listed on NHL.com that way) Hamilton.  These drafted players are solely from PC.  His draft picks will gel with the mid 20s players and veterans to form a good nucleus to win again.  Yes, this year included.  To think differently is folly. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Boston must at least make the playoffs, and my expectations are no lower than the #5 seed. Once there, I expect full effort. If they lose a series to a better team that deserves the win, even if in Round 1, I can live with that.

Last year, I would have been bitterly disappointed if they lost to the Habs in the first round. But if you think back on the series, MTL had every right to win as much as Boston. Both teams gave good effort, and one team had to come out on top. Last year I would have ranted and moaned about a loss in that series regardless of whether or not I felt MTL earned the wins. If Boston gets knocked out in 2012, and the effort was there but just not good enough, my expectations have changed so much that I could live with it.

That's what a Cup does to some fans. Complacency. Let's hope it doesn't have the same calming influence on the players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Great Expectations?:
    [QUOTE]Boston must at least make the playoffs, and my expectations are no lower than the #5 seed. Once there, I expect full effort. If they lose a series to a better team that deserves the win, even if in Round 1, I can live with that. Last year, I would have been bitterly disappointed if they lost to the Habs in the first round. But if you think back on the series, MTL had every right to win as much as Boston. Both teams gave good effort, and one team had to come out on top. Last year I would have ranted and moaned about a loss in that series regardless of whether or not I felt MTL earned the wins. If Boston gets knocked out in 2012, and the effort was there but just not good enough, my expectations have changed so much that I could live with it. That's what a Cup does to some fans. Complacency. Let's hope it doesn't have the same calming influence on the players.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I think that's a great point, re: the effort. We've seen the effort many times before, but when the drought got to 39 years, "trying your best" simply wasn't good enough.

I agree that MTL. series opener could have gone either way (I re-watched game 5 and still cringe at the shot in OT that glanced off Z's shin when he wasn't even looking and was def. going in hadn't he been standing just so) and realize how both teams certainly played well enough to be deserving victors. But it still would have been a major disappointment b/c it would have meant yet another year of futility tacked on to make it a 4-decade drought.

Now I just want to see them (win again, obviously) but short of that, show that they're not sitting on their laurels and still have the same drive and ambition to be the best in the league again.

And Islamadora, I agree w/your thoughts as well, altho' I would say the B's have nothing to prove to anyone re: the 2011 win. If they got a little lucky along the way, so did 80-85% of the teams that have won it before.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

How far would you say they have to go next year (if they don't win the Cup) for the year to be deemed a success?

Would I be bitter if the Bruins were one and done this year ? No, especially if they had injuries. With the cap flexibility and depth I see the Bruins getting to the 2nd round and beyond easily.

How hungry are you for the next Cup win and how long a drought (let's hope not another 39 years) would it be before you get itchy for another?

Allot of players are playing for future contracts with Knight, Spooner, Caron, Sauve, Khudobin, Arniel and Hamilton eventually knocking at the door I don't expect any complacency. Chiarelli wants competition at avery position and he will have it.

So how much time has the 2011 Cup win brought the Bruins in your opinion? 3 years and I would get itchy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Great Expectations?:
    [QUOTE]So how much time has the 2011 Cup win brought the Bruins in your opinon?
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

As long as Thomas remains the starter, they have bought themselves a pass in my book. As long as the effort is there, whatever they accomplish with TT in net works for me. Once the transition to Rask or someone else takes place, then the goodwill would be gone and my demands as a fan would increase back to what it was pre-Cup.

Is that odd or does that make sense?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I've said this before....I think hey won this cup a few years early.  So, I'd want another within 5 years. 
    I like the way this team operates.  Never too high or too low.  Drives me crazy sometimes, but it will serve them well this year with the inevitable struggles given the short off-season and cup hangover.  Because of this, a lower seed is expected, and like said above, if the effort is there, I can live with the result, this year.  No excuses 2012-13!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There is no time bought.  In fact, because they won this year, I want to see every effort made to win again next year.  And the year after.  I'll feel this way until the wheels fall off or the team is different enough that it doesn't seem like they did it once so they should do it again.  Then, and only then, will I have a moment of "well, it was fun while it lasted..." and think about how they get back there.  When there's a window like this, you have to dive through it as many times as you can.  As per Scooter, if you look at this team, it's set up to have multiple core players in their traditional primes in two or three years. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i have been a Bruins fan forever, like late 1940s until now. Earlier teams with Orr, Espo, then Neely, Bourque, all seemed to be more "established" than this current team. Perhaps it was the lock-out and the CAP that has created a difference where Cup winners [ala Chicago] needed to re-build immediately. This team doesn't seem to need any major changes, but objectively, IMO, there will be some. Tim Thomas could be one of the problems because his style will be torn apart by opposing coaching staffs, aimed at identifying areas that can be exploited. Claude's defensive structure can also be exploited with speed into the corners, and cross ice passing. The existing team does not have a responsible Power Play, or a "mike Bossy " type sniper. This means that change will be important, and Claude is not known for welcoming change in players or style. With these caveats, I don't expect a second cup immediately, but, will be watching with interest as changes are made.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Funny, I recently made some comments on another thread where I said a free agent looking for a team looking to win a Cup might be less inclined to come to Boston because now that the B's won, the fanbase and the management would be less likely to be putting the pressure on the team to win... that they "bought some time" as this thread put it.  I also mentioned the tough way the B's won and that it might be tough to replicate the following year.

This thread seems to mirror that position.

I was absolutely scorched, one guy calling it the "stupidest post ever."

This thread topic is exactly what I was talking about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Wait a minute everyone. Let me remind everyone that we are, for the most part and Montreal trolls aside, Bruins fans. Like BookBoy said, I want them to put in the effort to win it all every year. However, I hate to sound like a Chicago Cubs fan, but ... I'm used to the years of heartbreak with the Bruins.

Even if the team becomes the next version of the Red Wings, I'll still live and die with these guys. Even exhibition season losses bother me.

For me, nothing could ever top watching game 7 against Vancouver.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I think right now we are in a Detroit-Like position where we could be serious contenders for the next decade if we continue to draft well and resist the urge to go after big money free agents.  This team was built without the big name free agents (maybe Z as an exception).  Bergeron, Krecji, Lucic -- all home grown 2-3rd round draft pics that now carry the load.  The don't demand the salary that a highly touted top 10 pick would, but they deliver on the ice.

We have a young core that has already shown a willingness to accept less money to stay together, a rising superstar (we all hope), the leagues best shutdown D (with another on the way) and great goaltending for the forseeable future.

The sky's the limit, I just hope that management doesn't do something stupid to blow up on of the most promising cores in the league.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

We're Bruins fans.  It's all about effort.  That's what we love and want from our team.  If they play hard and lose to a better team so be it.  It stinks but you just got to tip your cap to the opponent on that one.

But when they aren't doing the things that we want them to do - skate hard, finish checks, forecheck, etc. - we have every right to get all over them for it.  Because we want to see them do well and when they bring their "A" effort chances are pretty good that they'll be successful.

This team is built to make a run at this for a few years and maybe a little bit longer.  Like 49 said earlier, there's about 6 - 8 teams every year that have a real shot at winning it all.  They're not going to win it every year.  But stay in the hunt.  Stay hungry and fight to the end.  They do that I'll be happy with the team.  Because if they do that every year they could win another Cup or two if the cards fall right - no serious injuries, puck luck, etc. 

I can't wait to see the banner raised on Opening Night.  I can only hope that the Hockey Gods can spare a few more in the coming years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: Great Expectations?:
    [QUOTE]I think right now we are in a Detroit-Like position where we could be serious contenders for the next decade if we continue to draft well and resist the urge to go after big money free agents.  This team was built without the big name free agents (maybe Z as an exception).  Bergeron, Krecji, Lucic -- all home grown 2-3rd round draft pics that now carry the load.  The don't demand the salary that a highly touted top 10 pick would, but they deliver on the ice. We have a young core that has already shown a willingness to accept less money to stay together, a rising superstar (we all hope), the leagues best shutdown D (with another on the way) and great goaltending for the forseeable future. The sky's the limit, I just hope that management doesn't do something stupid to blow up on of the most promising cores in the league.
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

Really lik the Red Wings analogy and unless I'm kidding myself I see this core group as beimg very much like the Wings squads that went deep into the playoffs for several years and won a couple along the way.

When you think about those teams you think of  3-deep lines and a good energy line to compliment, solid goaltending, and a mix of young players w/some veteran leadership as well. They've had some stars in Datysuk, but it's not like they're depending on a Crosby or Ovechkin.

and if Big Z isn't the east coast version of Nick Lidstrom I don't know who is.

Agree on the effort as key, but if they do bring it, I am optimistic there could be another Cup in the next 2-3 years, w/health a key factor and a little good luck mixed in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

I expect nothing less than a participation at Eastern Conference finals in 2012

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Next year I would like to see them make the play-offs and win at least one round.  I too wanted them to win one Cup in my lifetime that I would really remember (I did watch some of the 72 series but I don't remember it well) so if they don't win again for a long time I would still be content.  That being said, I think they are in such a good position with experienced guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Horton and Lucic who are fairly young and good young players like Seguin, Rask, Marchand and perhaps Hamilton who have potential, that I must admit I will be a little disappointed if they don't win another one in this decade.   Hopefully the worst case scenario is that we have a team that has a shot at the Cup and is able to to compete on a yearly basis.  If they are able to bring another one home it will be gravy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

It's tough to gauge a club's measurement for success as each is trying to win a Cup.  I've heard Burke state that in his view anything less makes the year a failure.  As the Bruins are at the top of the hockey world, they are now the standard by which other teams must compare themselves. 

We saw there were some tight games along their playoff run that could have gone either way but they didn't.  PC has positioned the club to make serious annual challenges for the title with the first culmination being this year and barring things unforseen, others to follow. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Injuries will have a lot to do with it.  Horton was our only serious loss in the playoffs.  

With new talent coming up, there is no reason our Bruins shouldn't be a high favorite to repeat.  This team is for real.  And getting better.   Players like McQuaid and Marchand are on an upward learning curve.  Beregeron is in his prime.  
    We can assuredly EXPECT the cup this coming year..!!