Hall call: Three likely locks, but will fourth get in ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hall call: Three likely locks, but will fourth get in ?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677177&navid=DL|NHL|home

If Chelios, Niedermayer and Shanahan are locks, that leaves one spot left for a number of former players that will get consideration. Here are five that could be lucky No. 4:

Rob Blake
    Blake doesn't have the same accolades as Niedermayer, but he also is a member of the Triple Gold Club, having won the Stanley Cup with the Avalanche in 2001 as well as an Olympic gold in 2002 and the World Championship with Canada in 1994 and 1997. He also won the Norris Trophy in 1998 and finished his career with 777 points in 1,270 games.

Eric Lindros
    Lindros had 659 points in 486 games over eight seasons with the Flyers, a point-per-game average of 1.355. Bobby Orr is fifth all-time in NHL history with a 1.393 point-per-game average.

Alexander Mogilny

Mogilny finished his career with 1,032 points in 990 games. He won the Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2000, and as a member of the Soviet Union squad he won Olympic gold in 1988 and a World Championship gold in 1989. He also won gold at the 1989 World Juniors, when he had seven goals in seven games. He scored 76 goals and 127 points in 77 games with the Sabres in 1992-93.

Jeremy Roenick
    One of the most outspoken and controversial players of his generation, Roenick also was one of the greatest scorers. He had 513 goals and 1,216 points over 1,393 games from 1989-2009. Roenick scored 190 goals over a four-season span from 1990-94, including a career-high 53 in 1991-92. He then had eight straight seasons of 20 or more goals from 1995-2003.

Keith Tkachuk

Tkachuk scored 538 goals and 1,065 points in 1,201 games played. He hit the 50-goal plateau twice, scored at least 40 two more times and at least 30 another five times. He played for the United States in the Olympics four times and won the silver medal in 2002."

Who's #4 ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Hall call: Three likely locks, but will fourth get in ?

No Phil Housley love, San? 2nd in points all-time for Americans and 4th among D - the three guys ahead of him are in, and the next 8 elligible behind him are in. He has more career points than every player you just mentioned for the 4th spot. Folks can bug him about hisw defensive abilities, which I never felt were as lacking as some people did, but he sure as heck has hall worthy offensive stats.

He'd be my 4th.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Wow, tough call.

I'd have to go with Mogilny slighty over J.R, the 76 goals season putting him over the top.

All 4 you could make a case for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:

No Phil Housley love, San? 2nd in points all-time for Americans and 4th among D - the three guys ahead of him are in, and the next 8 elligible behind him are in. He has more career points than every player you just mentioned for the 4th spot. Folks can bug him about hisw defensive abilities, which I never felt were as lacking as some people did, but he sure as heck has hall worthy offensive stats.

He'd be my 4th.

Hard to argue that Red.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I exclude Lindros for not playing enough games. 

I look past Mogilny with better options because he just didn't stand out enough.

I remove Tkachuk for his BS holdouts and overall unlikeability.

I select JR because he played the game like I want the game to be played.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

No Phil Housley love, San? 2nd in points all-time for Americans and 4th among D - the three guys ahead of him are in, and the next 8 elligible behind him are in. He has more career points than every player you just mentioned for the 4th spot.

He'd be my 4th.

You can throw in 2013 U20 Gold Medal coach for good measure as well.

PS. I don't want to upset Shup with too many Yanks LoL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

BTW - just double checked and he's ahead of both Chelios and Niedermayer in points as well. Not saying that makes him a better all-round D, just to bring to light how impressive his offensive capabilities were.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

JR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

One other I just thought of that could grab that fourth spot who I'd put ahead of Lindros, Tkachuk, Blake and likely Mogilny - Theo Fleury, especially now that he finally has his life together. Hall numbers, Olympic gold and a Cup ring (with one of the most memorable playoff goals of my lifetime). Yeah his career got derailed because of substance abuse (caused mainly by some unspeakable horrors in his youth) but he's come out the other side of that finally.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I thought about Fleury too and he is deserving, just wasn't sure whether some of the intangibles would work against him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

I thought about Fleury too and he is deserving, just wasn't sure whether some of the intangibles would work against him.

I think they used to work against him - now I think they're actually in his favour. Everyone likes a feel good story, including the Hall selection committee. The fact he turned around his life finally and has gotten past his old demons, I think overshadows to a degree how those same demons impacted his career. If he stayed in the gutter, I doubt he'd be getting consideration.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Great thread.  I got Housley as well; one of the best puck moving Dmen of all time.  After that, I have JR..his longevity has the other forwards beat considerably.  He also still is an ambassador for the game as I like him as an analyst.  My only gripe was when he almost cried when the Hawks won the Cup 4 years ago.  He has recovered nicely since then.  

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I would love to see him get in.  He had to overcome a lot to get to the NHL and as you indicated he has had to overcome a lot to get to the place he is in now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

Gotta be JR. Not just for the stats but for saying it straight and playing the game the way it should be played.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I've always admired Roenick's take-no-prisoners style of play.  His stats bear witness to his consistency largely over his career so I'll say he's the fourth.  Looking at Lindros' numbers makes me wonder what he would have ended up with had he played with more health.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

F Phil Housley.  Couldn't find the d-zone with a map, a guide dog, flares, smoke signals, an iPhone, traffic signs...and Shupe on a horse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

F Phil Housley.  Couldn't find the d-zone with a map, a guide dog, flares, smoke signals, an iPhone, traffic signs...and Shupe on a horse.

neither could coffey, number 2 all tme. housley is number 4. coffey is in the hall. The only player mentioned by San that has more points is Shanahan and that includes 4 forwards. No he wasn't a defensive powerhouse, but he was an offensive powerhouse from the blueline. Different skill set to be sure, but you try to make it sound like he was a crap player. He was an all-star, and he had more points as a D than your pick JR had as a forward in a comparable number of games given the positional differences (102 more games for Housley and 16 more points).

The top 12 scoring D are, in order, Bourque, Coffey, MacInnis, Housley, Murphy, Lidstrom, Potvin, Leetch, Robinson, Chelios, Orr, Stevens and Park. Three aren't in the Hall yet - Chelios, who is considered a lock this his first year of elligibility, Lidstrom who is a lock for the first ballot when he's elligible, and Housley at 4th on the list entering his 6th year of eligibility. Sorry, but if Coffey makes it (playing with Gretzky and Messier) then Housley makes it playing with... I'm drawing a complete blank.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kaberle has more points than Doug Harvey.

Kaberle for the Hall!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

JR is my pick.  He has the stats for it for sure.   As much as he yapped he loved playing and it showed.   I would have loved him on the bruins.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Housley should be in. The discussion should begin and end with #4 on the all-time list of scoring defensemen. Saying that being #4 doesn't overcome other deficiencies is just looking for an internet chat room argument. Some will say he didn't win enough puck battles, or his +/- is not good, or if he were playing today, or, or, or.

These people should be ignored.

Also, I'm placing a 9-1-1 call if Burns doesn't get his place in the HHOF.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmcbeigh. Show cmcbeigh's posts

Why can't these guys put Pat Burns in the HOF ?? He should be there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Scott Niedermyer is the most decorated player in the history of the game. So glad he was named. A Memorial Cup, WJC gold, 3 Stanley Cups, An Olympic Gold Medalist, A World Cup, A World Championship, A Conn Smythe, a Norris & 3 1st All-Star & two 2nd team selections. One of the most poised d-men I ever seen play the game. 

Housley deserves to be in there. As does Pat Burns! It's a travestry that neither are at this point. Neely was my favourite player of all time & he got in with very few games played, but he  was responsible for creating a hockey term of "Power Forward". However, Housley was still a great offensive d-man & has the games & stats to backup why he should be there. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

JR. It's too bad that injuries limited Lindros because he was a beast, talent w/ size & speed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

JR. It's too bad that injuries limited Lindros because he was a beast, talent w/ size & speed.

And a big fawking baby! Hope that punk never gets in! Him & his old man are a disgrace! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ok so it's Neidermayer, Chelios, Shanahan, Heaney and Shero - all-deserving candidates.

And before I have to listen to a bunch of rants let me nip something in the bud - the HHOF did not select Heaney instead of one of the male candidates in this thread. That is not how the HHOF's bylaws wrok

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/24892-Hockey-Hall-of-Fame-changes-rules-on-consideration-for-female-candidates.html

Simply stated the HHOF could very well have nominated another guy as well as Heaney. The four player limit is solely for the male category. There's an additional two players allowed for the female category. 

According to their own bylaws, the limit is six players - 4 male and 2 female - so Heaney did not get in instead of an NHLer. The hall if they chose could have still inducted two more players this year, one male, one female.

So anywhose, congrats to all four inductees - all deserving.