Hate to admit it the 4th...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Re: Hate to admit it...

In Response to Hate to admit it...:
    [QUOTE] ... the 4th line guys didn't have much ice time in the 3rd after Briere scored his goal .  They were on the ice and Julien didn't like that. Shortening the bench on a game like this worked.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, was thinking same thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Ugly game and I was thinking I would have been thrilled not to lose this and have it go to ot.

Stealing a win is good thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Absolutely

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

We have had our share of being on the other end of a game like this, let's enjoy it while we can!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Show CJ some love... many of you have been asking for the bench to be shortened. Good move. I really didn't think this team could win a run-and-gun game against Philly. I'm stunned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hate to admit it...:
    [QUOTE]Show CJ some love... many of you have been asking for the bench to be shortened. Good move. I really didn't think this team could win a run-and-gun game against Philly. I'm stunned.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

I was nervous also , at the edge of my seat the whole game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

... the 4th line guys didn't have much ice time in the 3rd after Briere scored his goal .  They were on the ice and Julien didn't like that.
    Shortening the bench on a game like this worked.
    And N-A-S will be happy so that is what really counts. In reality, I noticed the same thing as you B's and tonight it worked. Perhaps N-A-S has been corrrect all along....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Show CJ some love... many of you have been asking for the bench to be shortened. Good move. I really didn't think this team could win a run-and-gun game against Philly. I'm stunned.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

whoa whoa let's hold on... no reason to go stark raving nuts.

and speaking of nuts, even blind squirrels find one every once so often.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE] ... the 4th line guys didn't have much ice time in the 3rd after Briere scored his goal .  They were on the ice and Julien didn't like that. Shortening the bench on a game like this worked. And N-A-S will be happy so that is what really counts. In reality, I noticed the same thing as you B's and tonight it worked. Perhaps N-A-S has been corrrect all along....
    Posted by SteveM[/QUOTE]

Shhhhhhh not so loud.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Hate to admit it the 4th...

This is one of those games i watched actually thinking win or lose the team played up to par, i had the relaxed and feeling that the Bs can get this game into overtime. wow i was estatic to see Kampher score that goal.
    I got to mention the hussle of wheeler all night long, gotta love this kid too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hate to admit it the 4th...:
    [QUOTE]This is one of those games i watched actually thinking win or losethe team played up to par, i had the relaxed and feeling that the Bs can get this game into overtime. wow i was estatic to see Kampher score that goal. I got to mention the hussle of wheeler all night long, gotta love this kid too.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

I was thinking along those lines also and hoping if tied going into OT they get the point (or 2) out of it.  Those games in hand the Bruins have must translate into points.
    Come to think of it Julien shortened the bench this game as a result of how many times the team with the lead changed.  I guess he knew he could not just shut down the Flyers offence hence not having Thorton and Paille (4th line). He'll cheat and put Campbell in as that extra center in case he needs one as a backup for a defensive zone faceoff. I like this thinking.
    I won't be surprised when playing teams that lack offense still roll 4 lines to shut down an opponent.
    Last night he did the right choice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

A week or so ago rumor stated that CHIA and Claude had a discussion where Claude's stubborness showed. Could it be that both Chiarelli and Neely have met with Claude and discussed some changes to Claude's game management, might have reinforced Claude with a commitment for his conract, which Jacobs would prefer. This does look like a slightly different Claude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

the thing you have to remember is the fourth line with Paille is completely different than the fourth line with Marchand.
         Marchand's tenaciousness elevated the fourth line to a pretty solid third line making them a more viable choice late in a game than they are now

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Cj has been doing his job of late and adapting to the game(finally) and not letting the game dominate him.

He has reduced 4th line mins, especially late in close games and played them in better situations.  He has taken the best player March and moved him with Berg, he also gives Camp extra mins in certain situations(with Berg and March and with Berg and Wheel), which does not hurt the B`s as he has game and this will not be a liability as it would be if with Pail and Thorn.

Thorn is having best season of his career and plays every shift with his going to eat the little kiddies game face, his skating is better and he is shooting better, but he is a liability when the game is on the line as he does not have the talent.  He gives every fight a battle but he is not a top pugilist, but he still gives it a go.

On a side-Denis Potvin the other night said Thorn had to adapt his game from a scorer in junior to be a fighter to make it to the NHL.  Not so, he was a fan fave in Peterborough, then in St. John`s as a tough guy that never backed down.  His best bouts were when he was younger in the minors.  He wins more than he loses or at least to a draw, but he is not in the superheavyweight category and at 33 he only has a year or 2 left.  I would sooner see him on the tube than that idiot Nick Kypreos, hopefully he can get a career there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

100% Right.

[QUOTE]     the thing you have to remember is the fourth line with Paille is completely different than the fourth line with Marchand.      Marchand's tenaciousness elevated the fourth line to a pretty solid third line making them a more viable choice late in a game than they are now
    Posted by dmb246[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]     the thing you have to remember is the fourth line with Paille is completely different than the fourth line with Marchand.      Marchand's tenaciousness elevated the fourth line to a pretty solid third line making them a more viable choice late in a game than they are now
    Posted by dmb246[/QUOTE]

Marchand isn't good enough to make a goon a viable third line player.  That's as legit as saying Savard was good enough to make Bitz a viable first line player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

It was the right move in this situation.  CJ rolling the 4 lines consistently is more about preserving the legs for the 10 month season than it is a stubborn strategy.  You can't burn out your top gunners night in and night out.  There will be nothing left come April.  Big picture thinking.  Don't worry NAS, Thornton will disappear come playoffs.  His purpose is to eat some minutes, entertain the Neanderthals, and keep the other teams somewhat honest.  His role doesn't exist in the post season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

4th on again from 4:49 to 4:00 mark in third.  They were on for 1 goal in game asking for 2 is really pushing it.  If I`m Pit, I would love to see Stahl out against our 4th all night long.

Great game by the B`s,  other than 4th line booboo and using them after TV timeouts when his best players are rested, not the worst game of coaching for Cj, especially contending with only 5D.

Scooter, these are professional athletes supposed to be better faster than their predecessors of the 70`s and 80`s, why can`t they handle 20+ mins a game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]4th on again from 4:49 to 4:00 mark in third.  They were on for 1 goal in game asking for 2 is really pushing it.  If I`m Pit, I would love to see Stahl out against our 4th all night long. Great game by the B`s,  other than 4th line booboo and using them after TV timeouts when his best players are rested, not the worst game of coaching for Cj, especially contending with only 5D. Scooter, these are professional athletes supposed to be better faster than their predecessors of the 70`s and 80`s, why can`t they handle 20+ mins a game.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

I almost puked when I saw those fools on the ice after the TV timeout.

Sooooooo stupid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]4th on again from 4:49 to 4:00 mark in third.  They were on for 1 goal in game asking for 2 is really pushing it.  If I`m Pit, I would love to see Stahl out against our 4th all night long. Great game by the B`s,  other than 4th line booboo and using them after TV timeouts when his best players are rested, not the worst game of coaching for Cj, especially contending with only 5D. Scooter, these are professional athletes supposed to be better faster than their predecessors of the 70`s and 80`s, why can`t they handle 20+ mins a game.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]
    Maybe because the fellows they're playing against are bigger,stronger,faster too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hate to admit it the 4th... : Maybe because the fellows they're playing against are bigger,stronger,faster too.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Exactly. 
    My point was that there will be (hopefully) 2 months of hockey where these guys are going to be expected to play at an extreme level.  They need to have some gas in the tank to do that.  You can't burn them out in January.  It's a looooong season.  And really, after a playoff spot is secure, does it really matter how many points the end up with?  Make the playoffs, work on some things, figure out the best combinations, get as healthy as possible.  Get ready for the real season.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hate to admit it the 4th... : Maybe because the fellows they're playing against are bigger,stronger,faster too.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

They aren't any bigger, stronger or faster than the players from 10 years ago. 

Look at the ages of the nine top forwards.  25, 25, 24, 22, 22, 42, 30, 33, 18.

The average age is 26.  Without Recchi, it's 24.  If those guys can't play 18 minutes a night each and play at a high level throughout the playoffs, then the season is too long, the trainer stinks or they're just not NHL caliber players.

And what does Claude know about coaching deep into the playoffs, anyway?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hate to admit it the 4th... : They aren't any bigger, stronger or faster than the players from 10 years ago.  Look at the ages of the nine top forwards.  25, 25, 24, 22, 22, 42, 30, 33, 18. The average age is 26.  Without Recchi, it's 24.  If those guys can't play 18 minutes a night each and play at a high level throughout the playoffs, then the season is too long, the trainer stinks or they're just not NHL caliber players. And what does Claude know about coaching deep into the playoffs, anyway?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I hate to break it to you but the 70's were 40 years ago and the 80's 30.  I know, it came as a shock to me too. 
    Yes, the silly season is too long. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hate to admit it the 4th... : They aren't any bigger, stronger or faster than the players from 10 years ago.  Look at the ages of the nine top forwards.  25, 25, 24, 22, 22, 42, 30, 33, 18. The average age is 26.  Without Recchi, it's 24.  If those guys can't play 18 minutes a night each and play at a high level throughout the playoffs, then the season is too long, the trainer stinks or they're just not NHL caliber players. And what does Claude know about coaching deep into the playoffs, anyway?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I only meant that all the players,in general,have evolved.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hate to admit it the 4th... : I hate to break it to you but the 70's were 40 years ago and the 80's 30.  I know, it came as a shock to me too.  Yes, the silly season is too long. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Scooter.  I'm pretty good at math.

10 years ago, the fourth lines weren't playing 10-12 minutes a game, and certainly not the goons.  The players are the same size, and the speed isn't much different.