Henrik Goes Diving?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfansince88. Show Bruinfansince88's posts

Henrik Goes Diving?

I don't post very often but I am religiously on these boards, reading everyone's opinions.

As is stated in my profile, I'm from Montreal. Therefore, I am now in the process of dealing with the hoards of habs fans that have jumped on the Vancouver bandwagon.

That said, I have just ended a heated discussion with a friend of mine (hab fan) who is adamantly defending Henrik Sedin's dive after the shove by Ferrence. He explained to me that a "cross check" of such "excessive force" would have knocked anyone down, and that no dive, in fact, took place.

I promptly responded by saying that I now totally understand how he doesn't see the blatant diving performed by the habs (at least Subban tries to somewhat disguise his antics). If he can't see the dive in Henrik - who he does not root for, or ever even watched during the regular season -  there is no way he can see the embelishments all over the ice by his beloved habs.

Here is the link, let me know what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8XHcG8DwrY&feature=share

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Henrik Goes Diving?

Was there a sniper in the building?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

In Response to Henrik Goes Diving?:
    [QUOTE]I don't post very often but I am religiously on these boards, reading everyone's opinions. As is stated in my profile, I'm from Montreal. Therefore, I am now in the process of dealing with the hoards of habs fans that have jumped on the Vancouver bandwagon. That said, I have just ended a heated discussion with a friend of mine (hab fan) who is adamantly defending Henrik Sedin's dive after the shove by Ferrence. He explained to me that a "cross check" of such "excessive force" would have knocked anyone down, and that no dive, in fact, took place. I promptly responded by saying that I now totally understand how he doesn't see the blatant diving performed by the habs (at least Subban tries to somewhat disguise his antics). If he can't see the dive in Henrik - who he does not root for, or ever even watched during the regular season -  there is no way he can see the embelishments all over the ice by his beloved habs. Here is the link, let me know what you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8XHcG8DwrY&feature=share
    Posted by Bruinfansince88[/QUOTE]

Obvious dive.  Pathetic.  What a sissy.. maybe he and Burrows should go crossdress and give eachother a makeover.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfansince88. Show Bruinfansince88's posts

In Response to Re: Henrik Goes Diving?:
    [QUOTE]Was there a sniper in the building?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Yeah...explaining these things to a fanbase that has grown accustomed to seing their team play this style is extremely difficult.

There seems to be no way of convincing them that hockey was not meant to be played the way the Canadiens do...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Something about it certainly looks off.  It would be nice to see another angle, though.  He was still off-balance from the first shove for the second, and couldn't use his stick to help with balance because he'd just whacked Ference in the groin with it.
    I suspect that he could still have stayed on his skates if he had wanted, but not easily.  I don't think this is as blatant as others seem to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfansince88. Show Bruinfansince88's posts

[QUOTE]Something about it certainly looks off.  It would be nice to see another angle, though.  He was still off-balance from the first shove for the second, and couldn't use his stick to help with balance because he'd just whacked Ference in the groin with it. I suspect that he could still have stayed on his skates if he had wanted, but not easily.  I don't think this is as blatant as others seem to.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Good observation. However, it looks as though he buckles at the knees from a shove to the shoulder. I'm no expert on physics, but something tells me that's not a natural flow...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

No, the telltale sign of diving is when you fall away slowely after the contact, and then (miraculously) speed up as you lunge towards the ground.  He had practically no momentum coming off of Ference, then all of the sudden he was flying away from him.

A dive is a dive.  Not that big a deal, but it would be great if the hockey culture in Montreal (and Vancouver?) would stop endorsing this as part of the game.  It's not soccer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfansince88. Show Bruinfansince88's posts

[QUOTE]No, the telltale sign of diving is when you fall away slowely after the contact, and then (miraculously) speed up as you lunge towards the ground.  He had practically no momentum coming off of Ference, then all of the sudden he was flying away from him. A dive is a dive.  Not that big a deal, but it would be great if the hockey culture in Montreal (and Vancouver?) would stop endorsing this as part of the game.  It's not soccer.

YES!! Exactly my point! It is absolutely impossible to reason with a Montreal fan. There was no need for Henrik to drop like that...but he decided to dive, with the hope that the ref would call an infraction on Ference.

The only defenders of this type of behaviour are habs fans...and it is extremly frustrating to deal with. They proclaim to have fans with the most hockey knowledge, but their version of "hockey" is terribly flawed and disgraceful...and they don't seem to realize this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfansince88. Show Bruinfansince88's posts

[QUOTE]But THIS takes the cake!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpsR9pDpSn4&feature=related I DARE any Canucks fan to come on here and defend this pansy.
    Posted by joebondo[/QUOTE]

Wow...that was terrible. If I were Henrik - or a fan of Henrik, for that matter - I would be embarassed...

Terrible sportsmanship.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

But Thomas did NOT flop like a bird when he got touched in the skate?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

The real crime is that the so called best officials are doing these Stanley Cup games and they do not have the balls to call something so obvious as this dive or the punch to Chris Kelly's head by Torres in the 2nd period while the ref was right there.

Obvious dives need to stop.  Even if the refs don't have the nuts to call them, the league should review these pathetic actions and give 1 game suspensions for embelishments.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I hate diving.  Hate it regardless of who's doing it - this means you, Marchand.  And for two reasons.

1. The powerplay provisions are there to protect the flow of the game 5 on 5.  The threat of a competitive disadvantage is supposed to encourage teams to play within the rules of the game - see Game 7 vs. the Lightning.  The PP is NOT supposed to have a disproportionate impact on the results of games - and with diving, it's completely warping the fabric of the game.  One of the great things about hockey is you can't be great at it without courage.  You have to be willing to endure pain to make plays, not once or twice but for months on end.  Well, on the PP, players have more time and space.  Players who can't produce under normal circumstances produce on the PP in part because of the space itself and in part because - with the exception of the net-front guy - it takes significantly less courage to play on the PP.  That's not hockey.

2. Same theme but...no shame.  When they started calling diving after the new "emphasis on interference" rules that were supposed to increase scoring came in, the refrain was that the SHAME a hockey player would feel when being called for diving in front of 20,000 people, especially if it led to a PP goal the other way, would deter players from ever diving.  That may have been true if they'd had the follow-through to call dives and not call a dive and the infraction the dive was meant to sell.  But they don't call the dives.  They only call the "embellishments", so the shame factor really isn't there.  Worse, diving has become normal, so no one is ashamed.  Next step, start defending your guy for biting in a scrum.

F--k the 'Nucks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfansince88. Show Bruinfansince88's posts

[QUOTE]I hate diving.  Hate it regardless of who's doing it - this means you, Marchand.  And for two reasons. 1. The powerplay provisions are there to protect the flow of the game 5 on 5.  The threat of a competitive disadvantage is supposed to encourage teams to play within the rules of the game - see Game 7 vs. the Lightning.  The PP is NOT supposed to have a disproportionate impact on the results of games - and with diving, it's completely warping the fabric of the game.  One of the great things about hockey is you can't be great at it without courage.  You have to be willing to endure pain to make plays, not once or twice but for months on end.  Well, on the PP, players have more time and space.  Players who can't produce under normal circumstances produce on the PP in part because of the space itself and in part because - with the exception of the net-front guy - it takes significantly less courage to play on the PP.  That's not hockey. 2. Same theme but...no shame.  When they started calling diving after the new "emphasis on interference" rules that were supposed to increase scoring came in, the refrain was that the SHAME a hockey player would feel when being called for diving in front of 20,000 people, especially if it led to a PP goal the other way, would deter players from ever diving.  That may have been true if they'd had the follow-through to call dives and not call a dive and the infraction the dive was meant to sell.  But they don't call the dives.  They only call the "embellishments", so the shame factor really isn't there.  Worse, diving has become normal , so no one is ashamed.  Next step, start defending your guy for biting in a scrum. F--k the 'Nucks.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. It completely undermines the way hockey was originally meant to be played.

It baffles me how these players are allowed to get away with it over and over. The league must see what's going on in the games...it's impossible to miss these blatant embelishments/dives. I truly believe that there are a few, in charge, that are not complete imbeciles...albeit a minority. Therefore, what's stopping the league from putting this to an end?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the solution is incredibly simple. Penalize the dive/embelishment without punishing the "sold" infraction a few times, and see how quickly the players stop throwing themselves to the ice. Stop turning a blind eye to the players that are killing the integrity of such a great sport.

I can guarantee that we'd see a sharp change in the way the game is played after only a few games. I don't know what else to say. Maybe it's just to simple for them to grasp...it blows my mind...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]No, the telltale sign of diving is when you fall away slowely after the contact, and then (miraculously) speed up as you lunge towards the ground.  He had practically no momentum coming off of Ference, then all of the sudden he was flying away from him. A dive is a dive.  Not that big a deal, but it would be great if the hockey culture in Montreal (and Vancouver?) would stop endorsing this as part of the game.  It's not soccer.
    This is why I would like to see another angle.  To me, it looks like he went almost straight down (which is why the sniper comment seems accurate, I think).  This could happen because his feet slid out from under him because his center of balance went to just the wrong spot... or because he swung out his legs so that he would fall.  

Edit:  Haha, just watched those other videos.  Given the precedent, I am definitely leaning towards "swung his legs out to fall."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMenace2. Show TheMenace2's posts

[QUOTE]I hate diving.  Hate it regardless of who's doing it - this means you, Marchand.  And for two reasons. 1. The powerplay provisions are there to protect the flow of the game 5 on 5.  The threat of a competitive disadvantage is supposed to encourage teams to play within the rules of the game - see Game 7 vs. the Lightning.  The PP is NOT supposed to have a disproportionate impact on the results of games - and with diving, it's completely warping the fabric of the game.  One of the great things about hockey is you can't be great at it without courage.  You have to be willing to endure pain to make plays, not once or twice but for months on end.  Well, on the PP, players have more time and space.  Players who can't produce under normal circumstances produce on the PP in part because of the space itself and in part because - with the exception of the net-front guy - it takes significantly less courage to play on the PP.  That's not hockey. 2. Same theme but...no shame.  When they started calling diving after the new "emphasis on interference" rules that were supposed to increase scoring came in, the refrain was that the SHAME a hockey player would feel when being called for diving in front of 20,000 people, especially if it led to a PP goal the other way, would deter players from ever diving.  That may have been true if they'd had the follow-through to call dives and not call a dive and the infraction the dive was meant to sell.  But they don't call the dives.  They only call the "embellishments", so the shame factor really isn't there.  Worse, diving has become normal , so no one is ashamed.  Next step, start defending your guy for biting in a scrum. F--k the 'Nucks.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]....thomas dove after barely being touched. PO'd at him too for ruining the game?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I said this in one of the other threads; it was a clear dive. Very Canadien-esque.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What part of "Hate it no matter who does it" didn't you understand "menace"?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I live in Montreal and I must say they are some of the stupidest fans in hockey. Overreation to everything

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]What part of "Hate it no matter who does it" didn't you understand "menace"?

I'm not sure I have a reason as to why but it's never bothered me as much when goalies do it.  Like I said, I don't know why.  Maybe it's just because they're a different animal.  But whenever skaters do it (Bruin or opposition) I don't like it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMenace2. Show TheMenace2's posts

[QUOTE]What part of "Hate it no matter who does it" didn't you understand "menace"?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]...point taken. You mentionen Marchand but others made it a point of only pointing out the Canuck player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

All of it......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Typical Swede Don cherry would say.
    Good for the refs for not calling a penalty