HNIC Hot Stove: accuse the Bruins of cap circumvention

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

HNIC Hot Stove: accuse the Bruins of cap circumvention

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada/hotstove/video/?pageselect=%2Fsports%2Fhockeynightincanada%2Fvideo%2F#id=2333551633

At the 4:30 mark PJ Stock, who actually mentions Jacobs as being part of it, Kevin Weeks and then you know Glen Healy joined the fray even stating that there were "allot of teams upset about the Thomas trade".

My first is that this a story the media is trying to make a story and then run with it but then again I don't care becuase the Islanders have a real good goalie for a few years or they can get some good young players in a trade. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: HNIC Hot Stove: accuse the Bruins of cap circumvention

They just think they can sell controversy so they keep their jobs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The easiest targets are always the ones on the skyline.  If this deal were made by a team like Phoenix they'd be lauding it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Hnic panel is brutal.  I like PJ at times but Healey that sends me over the edge.  Weeks is a yes man.  As i said in the other blog.  This was actually a good move for the nyi.  the fact we get cap space and a second round pick is great.  They now can trade Viz since he doesnt want to be there.  And when thomas comes back they have a proven goalie.  Plus the asset from the Viz trade which likely will be solid.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Hnic panel is brutal.  I like PJ at times but Healey that sends me over the edge.  Weeks is a yes man.  As i said in the other blog.  This was actually a good move for the nyi.  the fact we get cap space and a second round pick is great.  They now can trade Viz since he doesnt want to be there.  And when thomas comes back they have a proven goalie.  Plus the asset from the Viz trade which likely will be solid.  

Yeah, I was taken aback by the collective view of the HNIC panel last night...it is not illegal and within the current CBA, so why would other teams be upset with a contract/player movement that helps both teams in those circumstances?

I watched TSN's The Reporters this AM and everyone there pretty well it is a loophole in the CBA - but a legal loophole.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

The easiest targets are always the ones on the skyline.  If this deal were made by a team like Phoenix they'd be lauding it.

Well put!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason this is necessary is because of the dumb CBA clause that is the 35 and over contract.  If not, a suspended player does not count against the cap.  That seems to me to be a technicality, which is the owners version of a loophole. Tit for tat in my books. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

"ink is not dry" comment sent me over the edge!  Shut up with the controscurvy, me thinks both sides (NHL/NHLPA) knew of the TT situation during the CBA negotiations, not a big topic as compared to the issues of buyouts at large in the final CBA.  

Lastly not too many players will walk away from salary in the next 8 to 10 years imo.  Yawn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

Yeah, I was taken aback by the collective view of the HNIC panel last night...it is not illegal and within the current CBA, so why would other teams be upset with a contract/player movement that helps both teams in those circumstances?

I watched TSN's The Reporters this AM and everyone there pretty well it is a loophole in the CBA - but a legal loophole.

And that should make it end of story, dav.  Props to both sides for taking advantage of it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

I would love to see Healy's response to a question asking who his sources were "ahh well...I...just don't have to give those sources out...by law...I think ?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I would love to see Healy's response to a question asking who his sources were "ahh well...I...just don't have to give those sources out...by law...I think ?"

San, someone should tell him the world already has a Milbury so get an act of his own.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

San, someone should tell him the world already has a Milbury so get an act of his own.

Here sure does try hard to "be like Mike"...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Odd segment.  Seems like the Isles could be ripe for some criticism for taking on salary to get to the floor, especially by their fan-base. 

How Jacobs and the Bruins become the issue is bizarre?  Wouldn't the Bruins have been far better off if TT decided to play rather than sit out?  PC did what the rules allow to remedy the situation for his club as best he could.  Stock and Weekes just sounded uninformed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Odd segment.  Seems like the Isles could be ripe for some criticism for taking on salary to get to the floor, especially by their fan-base. 

How Jacobs and the Bruins become the issue is bizarre?  Wouldn't the Bruins have been far better off if TT decided to play rather than sit out?  PC did what the rules allow to remedy the situation for his club as best he could.  Stock and Weekes just sounded uninformed.

True Crowls.  I find it hard to imagine Chiarelli involved in anything to jeopardize the reputation of the organization by doing something shady in the under-the-table manner suggested by Stock and Weekes . 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bill Daly: "As long as a Player has an active contract that he has the right to return to absent unusual circumstances, our view is that he remains a €œhockey asset" that a Club has a right to trade or acquire."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Bill Daly: "As long as a Player has an active contract that he has the right to return to absent unusual circumstances, our view is that he remains a “hockey asset" that a Club has a right to trade or acquire."

Like we said before,the B's did it by the book. Its just sour grapes by the HNIC panel and as has been mentioned misinformed. Again, if it was done by a team in the bottom of the league, it would be a non story.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Who cares what they think? The Bruins have an extra 5mill in space and can get better because of it. Healy hates the Bruins and doesnt want to see them get better. Allot of teams are upset because the Bruins are one of the best teams and can now aquire even more help. Imagine if the Bruins did bring in someone like Iginla because of this trade, you will hear some more moaning from Squeally and the boys.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Healy is still bitter at the Bruins.... Recall he and Paul Kelly were in charge of the PA not too long ago, and both were ousted when Ference led the charge to have both of them kicked out, if you recall ...No surprise here.. As for the Bruins move , it is allowed in the CBA , so it is a little sour grapes... And obviously it was a good deal for the Isles, and the panel still argued that it was done to get to the Cap floor...nonsense.. Isles were already above the cap floor , this just gave them more room to make a deal... Good deal for both teams .. win win...

If this was a Leaf move it would be lauded as brilliant... Whatever... I am sure PC is not losing sleep...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Healy is still bitter at the Bruins.... Recall he and Paul Kelly were in charge of the PA not too long ago, and both were ousted when Ference led the charge to have both of them kicked out, if you recall ...No surprise here.. As for the Bruins move , it is allowed in the CBA , so it is a little sour grapes... And obviously it was a good deal for the Isles, and the panel still argued that it was done to get to the Cap floor...nonsense.. Isles were already above the cap floor , this just gave them more room to make a deal... Good deal for both teams .. win win...

If this was a Leaf move it would be lauded as brilliant... Whatever... I am sure PC is not losing sleep...

No kidding.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I actually recall Healy making veiled threats that Ference "was going to get his" and that he "wasn't liked in the B's dressing room". To Ron MacLean's credit, he called out Healy for the dressing room remark saying that's not a fair statement to make unless he was willing to back it up with proof. Healy wasn't willing. Ron Mac certainly made him look like a fool that Saturday night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I actually recall Healy making veiled threats that Ference "was going to get his" and that he "wasn't liked in the B's dressing room". To Ron MacLean's credit, he called out Healy for the dressing room remark saying that's not a fair statement to make unless he was willing to back it up with proof. Healy wasn't willing. Ron Mac certainly made him look like a fool that Saturday night.

Which isn't hard, he can do it all by himself quite easily.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

That conversation was plain DUMB. 

The Islanders are making a calculated gamble that a 40+ year-old, past Vezina winner, and Stanley Cup MVP could regain his form after a year off.  Plus, they get a "name" player as they head to a new arena in Brooklyn.  If the Isles get similar performance from Thomas as Brodeur (another 40+, Vezina, MVP) is giving NJ right now, this is a great deal for the Isles.

Meanwhile, the B's get a conditional 2nd rounder which is a solid pick for a team that already has Rask.    Had the B's got a 5th-rounder or beyond, then I think HNIC might have a case. 

The fact that both teams are helped cap wise is smart maneuvering by both GMs.  However, Thomas and 2nd round pick still have high potential as value in this trade to be considered as strictly  "cap circumvention".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

These are the kind of loopholes the Owners want. Plain and simple. Jacobs knew this was a possibility for him coming up, and could have done something to close it, as I am sure other owners knew too. It helps 2 teams, and lets face it, the whole issue is a rarity. It might never happen again. How often are guys going to walk out on the last year of a $5Mil contract? Never. 

But it does beg the question. When one of those big contracts comes into it's final few years, where the $ value drops off, but the cap hit is still there, will a team be able to trade those contracts? Is this the same?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

That conversation was plain DUMB. 

The Islanders are making a calculated gamble that a 40+ year-old, past Vezina winner, and Stanley Cup MVP could regain his form after a year off.  Plus, they get a "name" player as they head to a new arena in Brooklyn.  If the Isles get similar performance from Thomas as Brodeur (another 40+, Vezina, MVP) is giving NJ right now, this is a great deal for the Isles.

Meanwhile, the B's get a conditional 2nd rounder which is a solid pick for a team that already has Rask.    Had the B's got a 5th-rounder or beyond, then I think HNIC might have a case. 

The fact that both teams are helped cap wise is smart maneuvering by both GMs.  However, Thomas and 2nd round pick still have high potential as value in this trade to be considered as strictly  "cap circumvention".

But TT is a UFA at the end of the year, so NYI really get nothing unless he plays this year. 

Plus they will have to pay him market value if they sign him. Can they afford that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

But TT is a UFA at the end of the year, so NYI really get nothing unless he plays this year. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he is.