Hockey hating ESPN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

Hockey hating ESPN

I am so sick of the hockey hating espn. It seems like they screw hockey anytime they get a chance.They have been doing it to the NHL for years and now they are doing it to college hockey. I will not be watching espn anymore. F-them

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Re: Hockey hating ESPN

Yep, I hate ESPN and its been this way for gosh knows how long 20-25 years. All they talk about is Baseball, all year long. Cant F...in stand it either. With Direct Tv I dont have to worry about it anymore, so I dont notice it or care anymore. I have the NHL package, NHL Channel, The new Versus, which is the NBC channel. So ya, I know where to go to get my hockey news. And I never have to see highlights of any other ridiculous pro sport. I know Pro Football is just huge, but I struggle to get into it. The games are so slow, too much time between plays, to many commercials etc. Just too much down time in football, that just bores me. I get why its that way, but I cant take it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I haven't watched ESPN in 10 years I bet. I even avert my gaze if it's on a TV in a bar or restaurant. I'll watch Downton Abbey before I put those clowns on my TV.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Hockey hating ESPN:
    [QUOTE]I am so sick of the hockey hating espn. It seems like they screw hockey anytime they get a chance.They have been doing it to the NHL for years and now they are doing it to college hockey. I will not be watching espn anymore. F-them
    Posted by michaelf101[/QUOTE]

How are they doing it to College hockey ?  Isn't that where you can watch the recent tournament leading up o the frozen 4 ?

I don't get ESPN so I'm not sure how they can be screwing hockey.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, I'm a good five years in to never watching ESPN at all.  Since I'm not an NBA fan this is really not very difficult.  Think of all the slam dunk replays I've missed!

The only exception of course is to watch the NCAA hockey tournament, which somehow still belongs to ESPN.  Of course, they bury it on ESPNU or alternate channels that you can't even find and they hire c-rate commentators to cover the games (Buccigross excepted).  I watched the Denver game last week and listened to them call them "the Broncos" repeatedly throughout the game.  Is it too hard to learn a team's name for a broadcast?

What's really sad is how they continue to hold Buccigross and Gary Thorne hostage on a network that hates hockey. Those two deserve better. I wish they would leave.

ESPN blows.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

I haven't watched espn since they lost the nhl contract.  I thought they did a good job when they had it, though.  They are a business, they have a contract with the NBA and MLB.  They are going to promote those sports.  They go over the top all the time.  Evidenced by the whole Lebron fiasco.

The show I used to watch all the time was Sports Reporters on Sunday mornings.  Not anymore, all it is NBA in winter, MLB in summer.  And I always wonder how John Saunders does it.  A canadian hockey lover, hosting the show.

ESPNU did broadcast some of the NCAA hockey games this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

I DON'T ever turn on ESPN anymore. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

BC is the #1 hockey team in the country and I don't think I seen anything about them on espn ever? They talk about the nit ? That tournament is for the 65th best team in college b-ball (that is for losers) There were 8 regional games 4 live and 4 on 3hr tape delay? I think they could have done a little better than that. ESPN SUX

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Am I wrong by thinking that their stance on hockey changed after the lockout?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If you can't get enough College Basketball/Football, Brett Favre,LeBron James or Time Tebow then ESPN is for you.
    If you like hockey and hockey highlights then get the NHL Network. Between that,NBC Sports and NESN it seems likke there is a game on every night.

ESPN Sucks.

I do love Linda Cohn though.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't like most the College Hockey announcers they use except for Gary Thorne. If it weren't for ESPNU there would be no way I could watch the Frozen Four so for that I am grateful. ESPNs coverage of College Football is exceptional and ESPN Classic "top 20 greatest..." lists are cool other than that I don't watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Owned by disney/abc. 
    enough said.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey hating ESPN:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I'm a good five years in to never watching ESPN at all.  Since I'm not an NBA fan this is really not very difficult.  Think of all the slam dunk replays I've missed! The only exception of course is to watch the NCAA hockey tournament, which somehow still belongs to ESPN.  Of course, they bury it on ESPNU or alternate channels that you can't even find and they hire c-rate commentators to cover the games (Buccigross excepted).  I watched the Denver game last week and listened to them call them "the Broncos" repeatedly throughout the game.  Is it too hard to learn a team's name for a broadcast? What's really sad is how they continue to hold Buccigross and Gary Thorne hostage on a network that hates hockey. Those two deserve better. I wish they would leave. ESPN blows.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Who's the guy that does Notre Dame games ? I recently watched BC and the Fighting Irish and he wasn't bad although he's not on ESPN.

I get why you guys hate ESPN , in the end they chose "what they think" was more popular and better for their ratings. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]Am I wrong by thinking that their stance on hockey changed after the lockout?
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I think it has more to do with TV contracts than anything RE: coverage.

Now that the NBC sports 'group of companies' has an NHL contract, we now see NHL updates(not many mind you) during Sunday afternoon golf coverage for example.

As a Canadian, used to TSN SportsCentre(same family of networks as ESPN) which has hockey from top to bottom covered, I hate to go south to the US and try to follow the NHL. On ESPN SportsCentre, they lead off with pre-season NBA, off-season NFL news, NCAA BB or Football, High School Football(!!!) before they even address a 10 game night in the NHL. Hate it. HATE IT!

If they had an NHL contract, they probably would include highlights from TSN, CBC, NBC/Vs, etc with their own stuff.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

ESPN makes me very grateful for the CBC, Sportsnet, TSN and the Score up here, even if their Toronto-centric coverage can drive me a little nuts. Four networks that have everything hockey related covered (other than the NCAA).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I remember the night the B's wont he Cup and actually wondered if it would lead the top of the Sportscenter that night. I remember it did not, can recall what did but i remember telling my wife that no matter who wins that night if Brett Favre is seen stretching on his front lawn that will be the top story.

ESPN caters more NASCAR,NBA,College Football/Basketball, WNBA,MLB,PGA,LPGA and then, just then because Barry Melrose is still under contraft and the Marines paid for it to be on Thursday nights you'll get Barry for about 3 mnutes.

Steve Levy is actually pretty good with hockey but John Buccigross needs to be on NHL Network, his columns are good and he has a passion for the game. He's very good at what he does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]ESPN makes me very grateful for the CBC, Sportsnet, TSN and the Score up here, even if their Toronto-centric coverage can drive me a little nuts. Four networks that have everything hockey related covered (other than the NCAA).
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

No choice in Canada.  We wouldn't have it any other way.
    Comes down to what the majority of the watchers want to see , ratings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey hating ESPN : No choice in Canada.  We wouldn't have it any other way. Comes down to what the majority of the watchers want to see , ratings.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Trrue, though I do wish a Canadian network would pick up the rights to the Frozen Four. Right now there's wall to wall CHL playoff coverage, and I was watching McGill in the CIS finals the other day. You think there'd be room for some NCAA coverage (which is definitely a better tourny than CIS)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey hating ESPN : Who's the guy that does Notre Dame games ? I recently watched BC and the Fighting Irish and he wasn't bad although he's not on ESPN. I get why you guys hate ESPN , in the end they chose "what they think" was more popular and better for their ratings. 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I'm really not sure who that is?  Dave Starman?

The thing that irks me about ESPN is not just that they chose more popular sports to cover than hockey (after hockey helped build the company), but that as soon as they dropped the NHL they kicked hockey fans to the curb with gusto.  It was like their was a company-wide directive to mock hockey and its fans.  The talk radio guys will hang up on any caller who tries to mention hockey, while they have totally inane discussions about the NBA, which nobody cares about either.  Most shows, including Sportscenter, are fully committed to building the value of ESPN's current contracts (NBA, College Football, etc.) rather than providing sports coverage.  It's a 30-minute commercial for ESPN.  No thanks.

That, and the sickening sense of self-importance they all have.  Everyone from ESPN thinks they're a celebrity now.  And why not?  They're all about celebrating the individual whether it be their own staff or in their schoolgirl-crush method of journalism for guys like A-rod, Brett Farve, Lebron James, etc.  They're a total joke to me -- everything that is wrong with sports coverage.  But, who cares?  I can watch all the hockey I want without them.  I hope the NHL never goes back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

There's more money in Basketball, Baseball and Football just from an advertisement perspective.  It's that's simple.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I always thought it would be tough to stop watching ESPN because they are so up-to-the-minute...

But it really isn't...

I love the shows on CSN (Sportsnet Central, Sports Tonight, etc.)

And NESN Daily and stuff like that...

Much better...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey hating ESPN : I'm really not sure who that is?  Dave Starman? The thing that irks me about ESPN is not just that they chose more popular sports to cover than hockey (after hockey helped build the company), but that as soon as they dropped the NHL they kicked hockey fans to the curb with gusto.  It was like their was a company-wide directive to mock hockey and its fans.  The talk radio guys will hang up on any caller who tries to mention hockey, while they have totally inane discussions about the NBA, which nobody cares about either.  Most shows, including Sportscenter, are fully committed to building the value of ESPN's current contracts (NBA, College Football, etc.) rather than providing sports coverage.  It's a 30-minute commercial for ESPN.  No thanks. That, and the sickening sense of self-importance they all have.  Everyone from ESPN thinks they're a celebrity now.  And why not?  They're all about celebrating the individual whether it be their own staff or in their schoolgirl-crush method of journalism for guys like A-rod, Brett Farve, Lebron James, etc.  They're a total joke to me -- everything that is wrong with sports coverage.  But, who cares?  I can watch all the hockey I want without them.  I hope the NHL never goes back.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Great post, fletch. pretty much captured my view right there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

They don't talk about the NHL because the NHL doesn't give them any broadcasting rights. 

If you're interested in listening to annoying sports casters talk about the lamest excuse for a professional sport (NBA) then you would want to watch ESPN.