Home Ice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brentsmith. Show brentsmith's posts

Home Ice

Given the B's home ice record vs. away record, do we really want home ice advantage in the playoffs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Re: Home Ice

Valid point but the playoffs are a different animal- louder, tougher crowds, etc.  I'll take home ice any day... not that it helped the B's during the last 2 times they played in a game 7...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

yes to home ice.  line matchups are very key.  keeping chara agaisnt the other teams top dogs is very important.  I think the matchup side of thing is more important than the crowd. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

I have mixed emotions about this.  We have a better road record than we do at home.  On the other hand, when the fans are behind them at the Garden, and I've been there, it can be amazing exprience - I just hope that their personal distractations don't affect their game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Well the game has changed a lot and home ice is not the advantage it once was
    for all teams. In the 70's the bruins and habs were almost locks on home ice.
    Remember the old garden with the small ice?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

For anyone who likes stats I did a little research on last years' playoffs. 

Of the 89 games played in the 2010 playoffs, 44 were won by the home team and 45 were won by the away team - basically a 50/50 split.

A weird stat was this:  Of the fifteen 7 game series played, the away team clinched it's series 11 times on enemy ice, and only 4 teams clinched at home.

So based on last year, home ice wasn't as important as some make it to be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

If they finish first overall and catch Philly, maybe they can decline it due to a circus in town...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Home Ice:
    [QUOTE]For anyone who likes stats I did a little research on last years' playoffs.  Of the 89 games played in the 2010 playoffs, 44 were won by the home team and 45 were won by the away team - basically a 50/50 split. A weird stat was this:  Of the fifteen 7 game series played, the away team clinched it's series 11 times on enemy ice, and only 4 teams clinched at home. So based on last year, home ice wasn't as important as some make it to be.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Nice post.  This is the reason why no one should get too giddy over rankings in the regular season.  Parity.  

Parenthetically speaking, the number of fighting majors must linked to parity as well.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Home Ice:
    [QUOTE]For anyone who likes stats I did a little research on last years' playoffs.  Of the 89 games played in the 2010 playoffs, 44 were won by the home team and 45 were won by the away team - basically a 50/50 split. A weird stat was this:  Of the fifteen 7 game series played, the away team clinched it's series 11 times on enemy ice, and only 4 teams clinched at home. So based on last year, home ice wasn't as important as some make it to be.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

I am going to amend this post and say yes, home ice is important.  Reason being, of the 15 total playoff series last year, 10 were won by the team that had home ice advantage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

If you have the time and inclination, can you check and see how teams with good regular season home records did on home ice in the playoffs, and how teams with bad regular season home ice records did?

I am wondering if regular season home performance is a good indicator for post season performance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Still wish the Bruins inspired more confidence at home. Count me as among those nervous about the supposed "home ice advantage."

Not being able to win game 7's against Carolina and Philly at home--with the crowd rocking the rafters--really makes me wonder what this team gains from home ice...altho' you can't argue w/the line-change advantage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO playoff hockey requires superlative coaching. Unfortunately, the Bruins only have mediocre, stick to the system, coaching. A lack of flexibility will be a negative  which the Flyers, Pittsburgh and Canes coaches are very quick to exploit. The Tampa coach will be that good soon, but not this year, and Boudreau is closer to Claude's limitations. Montreal's coach has too small a team, and can only play their style. Tortorella could be a suprise, and if New Jersey makes the playoffs, good old Jaques could easily change things up. Compare these coaches and you will recognize why Claude's stubborness, and lack of flexibility, could hold this team back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In Response to Home Ice:
    [QUOTE]Given the B's home ice record vs. away record, do we really want home ice advantage in the playoffs
    Posted by brentsmith[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing myself. Not a good thing to have these thoughts of home ice disadvantage. We just need to man up and start playing tougher at home. Have the team sleep at hotels the night before a home game?