Horton leaving

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Horton leaving

It's pretty simple if you "mathify" it (I think I got to that one ahead of Colbert).

If Crosby and Malkin are 90/100 players, Bergeron and Krejci 85/100 players.  The Bruins pay them about 75% less than the Pens pay their top players, though the practical difference is really about 5% in terms of influence on the game.  Saving 25% of the top tier salaries for that 5% difference allows the Bruins to spend more on their secondary players - Kelly, Peverley, Paille, Jagr for a while, Campbell - and especially to balance out their D with a lot of solid guys and one star.  The difference between Kelly and the average 3rd line C most years is more like the difference between a 70% player and a 60% player.  So for an extra mil or two, the Bruins buy a 10% advantage across the board on the third and fourth line vs. a team like Pitt.  A big chunk of that 10% is experience, hockey intelligence, and stability.  The other effect is that the Bruins don't have any 90/100 players flanked by 70/100 player.  Krejci, Horton and Lucic are all pretty close in overall impact.  Bergeron has Marchand and Seguin.  That means that Crosby's line of 90-70-70 (Dupuis and Kunitz are second liners bordering on third liners on most teams) = 230 total.  If Begeron's 85, and Marchand and Seguin are 80 and 75 or even 75 and 75, that's 235-240 total for the line, which would suggest that the savings also creates better lines and a better team overall.

And the playoffs would suggest some truth to this even if the mathification above is total BS.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

It's pretty simple if you "mathify" it (I think I got to that one ahead of Colbert).

If Crosby and Malkin are 90/100 players, Bergeron and Krejci 85/100 players.  The Bruins pay them about 75% less than the Pens pay their top players, though the practical difference is really about 5% in terms of influence on the game.  Saving 25% of the top tier salaries for that 5% difference allows the Bruins to spend more on their secondary players - Kelly, Peverley, Paille, Jagr for a while, Campbell - and especially to balance out their D with a lot of solid guys and one star.  The difference between Kelly and the average 3rd line C most years is more like the difference between a 70% player and a 60% player.  So for an extra mil or two, the Bruins buy a 10% advantage across the board on the third and fourth line vs. a team like Pitt.  A big chunk of that 10% is experience, hockey intelligence, and stability.  The other effect is that the Bruins don't have any 90/100 players flanked by 70/100 player.  Krejci, Horton and Lucic are all pretty close in overall impact.  Bergeron has Marchand and Seguin.  That means that Crosby's line of 90-70-70 (Dupuis and Kunitz are second liners bordering on third liners on most teams) = 230 total.  If Begeron's 85, and Marchand and Seguin are 80 and 75 or even 75 and 75, that's 235-240 total for the line, which would suggest that the savings also creates better lines and a better team overall.

And the playoffs would suggest some truth to this even if the mathification above is total BS.

^ ^ ^ I meant this but Book explained it better. Thanks Book!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Would sort of like Horton to stay but the fact that PC was 'surprised' about him testing free agency tells me that front office won't likely fight to sign him. Horton should have informed the Bs before speaking to the media.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Horton and his agent, like Michael Ryder, understand the cap. That's all this is. Horton will get a better, long-term contract with another team, just not with the B's. I had already written him off, so I think this ultimately going to work out well for the B's. For one thing, if say it's Lecavalier who they pick up, then it's going to be a scorer/sniper, something that team needs. Horton was and is a fine player, and he did a great job in the 11 playoffs (before the injury) and in the 13 playoffs (mostly benefitting from Lucic and Krecji playing at a high level), but injuries, concussions, and even undisclosed injuries have hit him pretty good in his B's career. I'm proud of his play as a B, and his help in bringing the 11 Cup, but it's time to move on for him and the B's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

I didn't like it when I heard, but I think we'll be fine.  Horton seems to always be battling injuries now.  Lucic and Krejci will be good.  Marchand and Bergeron will be good.  It doesn't matter who the third player is.  I honestly believe that.  If we add a player, I would really consider putting Seguin and that player on another line.  For the majority of games I think it would be more effective.  If you need to make a push at certain times assemble a more stacked line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In response to Al-Samarraie's comment:

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Al-Samarraie's comment:

[QUOTE]

Pierre LeBrun reporting on ESPN that Horton wants to try free agency. Really Horton?? Ok...

Why is it that teams like Pittsburg go out and sign big money players and every year Bruins have to get under cap and let guys go and try to find cheap replacements. Do they overpay the average player.I understand boston did a number on Pittsburg but the money issue like guys like Crosby and company... How do they manage and bruins have to each year let players walk.

[/QUOTE]

I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself that very same question.. I think you're on to something when you say we overpay for average players, or rather we have more "decent" players instead of 4-5 "great" players, All in line with the Bruins balanced philosophy, 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, balance. Mr. Miagi would be proud.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Thanks ....I think i follow you....Great job  !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha77. Show tremha77's posts

He's an ungrateful dick.  Good riddance softie   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

the only eklund supporter here is NAS but looks like they are making one more effort on horts before trading his rights.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

They must believe he's gone... as they said at the draft tonight, the Bruins stopped making potential deals involving Peverly or even Seguin because PC no longer "felt the wolf at his door" regarding getting squeezed by the Cap/Horton.

They still would need to find another top 6 wing, though.

And I'd love to know what "it wasn't finances/ he just wanted a fresh start somewhere else" means. That sounds negative.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

They must believe he's gone... as they said at the draft tonight, the Bruins stopped making potential deals involving Peverly or even Seguin because PC no longer "felt the wolf at his door" regarding getting squeezed by the Cap/Horton.

They still would need to find another top 6 wing, though.

And I'd love to know what "it wasn't finances/ he just wanted a fresh start somewhere else" means. That sounds negative.

Probably a polite way of saying the wife hates Boston. He wouldn't be the first guy to leave a city to please the wife. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What Dez said and I think Horton knows that he could be another "Sestito hit" away from being done and wants to cash in. Horton probably was told what Chiarellis initial offers were, then they decided to make the announcement.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

What Dez said and I think Horton knows that he could be another "Sestito hit" away from being done and wants to cash in. Horton probably was told what Chiarellis initial offers were, then they decided to make the announcement.

If PC was serious about keeping Horton then he should have locked him up earlier. I don't begrudge Horton for becoming a free agent. He fulfilled his obligation to Boston as far as I'm concerned. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

If PC was serious about keeping Horton then he should have locked him up earlier. I don't begrudge Horton for becoming a free agent. He fulfilled his obligation to Boston as far as I'm concerned. 

This is what i think as well. I think the B's were prepared to let Nathan walk and then when he had the monster playoffs they went, we can't break up one of the most dominant lines in hockey we better try and sign him. You snooze ,you lose and the B's waited too long......that and the wife thing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Well thanks for the big goals in 2011!

But zero in the finals this year.

He is outof touch wanting 5-6 mil for 5-6 years with his injury history.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OntarioBs. Show OntarioBs's posts

Do not buy the wife thing,..Horton knows he has a limited shelf life and wants a final big contract ,..hard to argue,..but was he not part of the "I love this team " ,......better go west my man

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Canadianfan6's comment:

Well thanks for the big goals in 2011!

But zero in the finals this year.

He is outof touch wanting 5-6 mil for 5-6 years with his injury history.

Horton was getting cortisone shots before every game to play through the pain. He's one of the last guys who should be questioned for his performance. He won't be easily replaced. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to OntarioBs' comment:

Do not buy the wife thing,..Horton knows he has a limited shelf life and wants a final big contract ,..hard to argue,..but was he not part of the "I love this team " ,......better go west my man

Are you married? How is your home life when the wife is upset? 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I said the wife thing as well a while back, i also said this could be his last contract and wouldnt give the bruins a friendly deal.   My guess is tbay.  Tbay is also trying to get rid of malone.  2 big money amounts.  Hello nathan.  Play with stampkos and stlouis.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onthe405. Show Onthe405's posts

In response to tremha77's comment:

He's an ungrateful dick.  Good riddance softie   

seperate your shoulder and lace em' up every other nite, softie.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Elliott Freidman(sp?) from CBC said that he knows someone close to Horton. The guy said to Elliot " I can't tell you why" in reference to why Horton wants to leave. Not that he doesn't know why . . . just can't say. So like NAS- don't want to go all Commie here but it sounds like it's not a $$ thing but deeper. I will miss that guy-

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha, brilliant Dez. How does it go? Hell hath no fury as a woman scorn..

24. This post has been removed.