How can we help REX

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

How can we help REX

As the year has progressed, one of our favorite players, Mark Recchi, has regressed. Unfortunately it is all too visible in his lack of skating speed; his poor puck handling; his poor passes; last nite he misplayed a short pass to Chara for the 5th or 6th time this year allowing on opposing breakaway with Chara flatfooted. Even Fluto noted that Rex did not get off a shot all nite, and is not exactly helping Bergeron and Seguin. It is not from lack of effort, just declining capabilites from a guy who never says quit. How should Claude handle this problem so that there are three solid offensive  lines ???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjhernon. Show mjhernon's posts

Re: How can we help REX

The Bergeron line was not good at all last night. I think Bergeron was battling an injury because he was not his self in terms of winning one on one battles. He will make that line run.

I still believe these are the best possible lines. Seguin needs players that are strong with the puck with them.

Did anyone see Horton go out with Campbell in the OT? That just shows you how frustrated the coaching staff is with him. They also had a lucic savard krejci pairing during the latter parts of the third.

Seguin had a solid third period. He had a couple shots and was a little more physical.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Considering that Julien puts Recchi out on the PK and 4 on 4 - good luck

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

How can we help Rex?

Time Machine.

:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

How do you bench that kind of person.
    I'd hope before the season began, that they had a long talk and made it clear that if he drops off, then they will have to release him, so this isn't a major surprise. It appears to me that is just can't keep up to the speed of the NHL. Too bad, as he is a great leader and player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I was going to post about this exact same thing.....Glad to see someone else really notice a problem. Rex has been inconsistent and it has become more frequent....everything posted in the initial post is correct. I know a lot of people get caught up with individual players not producing. Im not affected by that, if the team can find a way to win. Players will have droughts when it comes to productivity....As long as they are getting chances and still working hard, Im fine with someone going 5-10 games without a goal. But when they start making the plays Rex is making, then I start worrying....I think that definitely hurts the team more. I think they should just sit the old timer for a couple games....

One play more than others, stands out last night with Rex....He got stuck filling in on defense for a shift and started to skate backwards and Booth flew by him...I know Rex isnt a Defender, but he is just so slow....He is definitely struggling right now. Id try a younger guy for a game or two and give Rex a rest....Not that it will help with his speed, but he looks like he needs a rest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Fourth line duty (Marchand should move up), play Recchi ocassionally on the pp or on the Bergeron line.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I am a big fan of Rechhi but this day and all the "older" players are starting to retire for that they can not keep up to new speed of modern hockey. I dislike what i need to say send Rechhi to Providence and Mark can be a good power of example what it takes to be a successful NHLer. The Bruins cannot let him leave the Bruins organization as Rex will be a good players developer,scout or eventually coach.

The prov.bruins will have an interesting line if they combine Mcgrattan Rechhi and Reich

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I kept a close eye on Rex all night just to confirm my own opinion that he is just not there anymore. PC should convince him to goto providence and be a mentor to the young players, and eventually coach. Seriously guys, bergeron is being wasted and seguin needs more speed with him. Id love to see what caron would do on that line with bergie and segs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

The guy is 50 years old. He should be a healthy scratch once a week but the coach has no balz. Julien is a horrible coach. Does anybody really deny that at this point?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: How can we help REX:[QUOTE]Fourth line duty (Marchand should move up), play Recchi ocassionally on the pp or on the Bergeron line.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Sorry Isla but this much, much to complex for Julien but spot on!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Rex has earned himself 4th line duty or a seat in the press box.  I appreciate everything he has done. He has been a great mentor for younger players, but it's time to get real and smell the roses.

Rex is definitely hurting the Bruins more than helping, especially on the breakout, and that's where the Bruins need the most improvement!

Tough spot for CJ but you gotta do what's best for your team...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Recchi is only here to hold Chara's hand during the playoffs. There is no reason to play him 20 minutes a nite. 4th line duty and an occasional scratch would be perfect for him.........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: How can we help REX:
    [QUOTE]Fourth line duty (Marchand should move up), play Recchi ocassionally on the pp or on the Bergeron line.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    That's what I was thinking too.A professional like Recchi shouldn't be insulted to see a reduction in ice time especially if he still gets some PP time as a show of respect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

I don't think "we" have any idea what could help him...seriously, do you think Cam or Clod are sitting around reading these boards and saying,...yeah you know what, let me put him on the 4th line like joey123 suggested.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In Response to How can we help REX:
    [QUOTE]As the year has progressed, one of our favorite players, Mark Recchi, has regressed. Unfortunately it is all too visible in his lack of skating speed; his poor puck handling; his poor passes; last nite he misplayed a short pass to Chara for the 5th or 6th time this year allowing on opposing breakaway with Chara flatfooted. Even Fluto noted that Rex did not get off a shot all nite, and is not exactly helping Bergeron and Seguin. It is not from lack of effort, just declining capabilites from a guy who never says quit. How should Claude handle this problem so that there are three solid offensive  lines ???
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Yes i agree i think he gets way to much ice time,penalty killing ,powerplay,i think he slows down Bergeron and Seguin.He doesn't seem to be scoring on powerplay,can't seem to get tip in's anymore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

For the past few weeks, I've suggested that Rex should be moved to the 4th line to replace Thornton because his smarts would help both Campbell and Marchand. Maybe a better plan would be to alternate with Thornton so that Recchi could be more rested and still play on the PP and Thornton would still be available in some games. An alternative would be, as mentioned, moving Marchand up to Bergie's line, but that doesn't give Rex much rest. IMO moving Rex as an alternate on the 4th line, as he played in Tampa, and bring back Caron for Bergie's line could be the best solution. As an aside, all of us that thought Ryder, or Wheeler,  could be trade bait has to be revisited if Kreji's line re-emerges like last nite.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Anyone suggesting that Recchi should be sent down to Providence to 'mentor' the younger players isn't paying attention. 

The guy is 42 years old and has been in the NHL for 22 seasons.  He'll be put on release waivers or retire before he steps foot in Providence.  The Bruins would be the laughing stock of the league if they attempted to assign him to the AHL.

I'm with PerrySound - Best we can hope for is they had an agreement that if his play slipped to an unacceptable level, they would amicably part ways.

Remember, he said during last year that he was going to retire after the season.  He only re-upped over the summer.  He's well aware of his limitations.  Right now, however, he's getting a little too much respect from the Bruins coaching/management staff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Ever. Show 4Ever's posts

bogie6, I agree with you to sit Rex from time to time and see what Caron can do with Bergie and Sequin. I respect what he has done for this team, and he could be a big help should they make it into the later rounds of the playoffs. Right now, I think he is hurting the effort more than helping.

20. This post has been removed.