How the Bruins will win Round 1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

How the Bruins will win Round 1

1. Don't need to clobber the Habs physically (and risk getting out of position or taking dumb penalties.  Finish all checks and wear them down with the Bruins size.  It they go out of their way to make the big hit, I fear the Habs will get too many odd man rushes
    2. Bodies in front of Price.  Will need to score dirty goals off rebounds, tips etc.  Tough to beat him cleanly when he sees the puck
    3. Head man the puck quickly.  I worry a bit about the Bruin defense outside of Chara and Kaberle when it comes to strong forechecking.  I think Kaberle earns his keep in the playoffs, though.
    4. Match up on speed.  Habs are quick.  I would not want to see Thorton play much if at all in this series.  Bruins have speed now with the moves at deadline. This is where it needs to payoff
    5. Get the lead.  Maybe it's my perception, but the Bruins are so much tougher to beat when they are leading. 
    6. PK and PP are always important in the playoffs. I can't see the Bruin PP all of a sudden get great, but Kaberle always stepped up this game in the playoffs (back in pre-historic days when the leafs actually did make the playoffs). 
    7. Don't over-coach.  CJ won me over a bit in the playoffs last year, then I felt he went over-board on running 4 lines as much as he did.  There is a lot of talent at the top end of this team, and they should be on the ice as much as you can run them out there.

Sorry Kennedy (who I respect a lot of this forum) but I hate the Habs and would like to see the Bruins win this series.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Re: How the Bruins will win Round 1

This is a very good analysis. Of all of them, I think #2 and #6 will be the most crucial. The Bruins will win if they control the front of the net on both the offensive and defensive ends.....as long as they stay out of the box and take advantage of their PP chances (of which they'll get a few...Montreal was the most shorthanded team during the regular season, and that won't change drastically come Thursday.)

Those and goaltending, of course, goes without saying (which is probably why you didn't say it!) But that is obviously the X-factor. Neither guy has a very impressive playoff dossier, but then again, neither guy has been in the playoffs that much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Matthew Barnaby said last night the Bruins have to stay out of the penalty box but if it means the Bruins aren't going to lean on the smaller Canadien forwards then I expect to see some allot of Montreal on the powerplay because Boston has to take Gionta, Plekanic and Cammalleri out of their comfort zone just like the Bruins did to Kennedy, Connolly, Stafford and Pomminvile last year in the first round.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Score more goals than the habs in each of the games played. That about sums it up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Get ready for Montreal to play a tight tight trap system especially in Boston. Even more than the Bruin's play trap.
    Their speedy little forwards will just be patient and wait out for Bruin mistakes to jump on .  That's where their speed is dangerous.
    In the end it'll come down to goaltending . 
    Bruins to be successful must pin the Habs in their own end, create traffic  and tire them out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Agree the Bruins should counter speed w/speed where they can. If they sit back and try to react to what Mtl does on offense they are in big trouble.

Would like to see a lot of Marchand on offense, as well as Peverly--and if CJ is going sit Seguin like I expect him to (not happy about it, but he won't answer my phone calls), then at least give Paille some minutes since he's been playing better lately (which is not saying much--I'm not a huge fan)...

what i really dread is this thing going 7 b/c the Bruins have been just awful at home in game 7's these past couple of years, and they didn't fare much better in Mtl. in '08.

Price has the ability match Thomas save for save (not saying he will, but he could), so I almost think the goaltending is a wash.

B's must indeed stay out of the box, be physically smart instead, and attack instead of sitting back and being cautious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i won't go as deeply into it as LRH....but, the bruins will win each game by scoring more goals. i know... genius

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

lol, that's my feeling.  I think all the talk of speed vs toughness is garbage.  The bruins are simply a better team.  They have better players in all positions.  I think the biggest thing is not making mistakes, because mental errors can give the habs a chance to capitalize.  I also think they need to start strong and hopefully win the first two games, because Montreal can be a tough place to play.  The city will be madness in game 3, the police will be everywhere.

In Response to Re: How the Bruins will win Round 1:
    [QUOTE]i won't go as deeply into it as LRH....but, the bruins will win each game by scoring more goals. i know... genius
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

On defense: don't chase.  If the small Habless forwards have to go through the Bruins to the net, size and strength will take its toll.

On offense: don't play a half-court game.  Once the Shabs set up in their zone, their shot-blocking makes them a much better defensive team than they really are.  Push the pace and make Gill and Hamerlik and Spacek (if he's there) turn and chase.  Crashing the net's good too because anything that breaks down the defensive structure's good.  Jacques Martin teams are very very structured defensively and that will hide a lot of flaws.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In the last 2 games at the TD Garden, Boston flat-out dominated puck possession. It doesn't matter how much speed the Habs have if they're not able to get the puck. I think a lot of the time, the "Habs are too small" stuff is overblown, but in this area (and in the area Bookboy and others mention, crashing the net), being the bigger, more physical team can be a huge plus, especially at home when the Bruins are better able to get the on-ice matchups they want.

Also when it comes to puck possession, the Habs often su ck at faceoffs. That's given them problems all year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

they su ck more than just faceoffs- had to say it, left it wide open. GO B'S 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]they su ck more than just faceoffs- had to say it, left it wide open. GO B'S 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I had the impression that this was the "smart thread"....outside of that and "score more goals", it pretty much has been. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

lighten up francis...this is the bruins and the habs, have to poke a little- not like i ranted for pages on end, just a quick jab. this is a bruins site, if you can't handle that, your in the wrong place. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Pretty sure his comeback was also a short jab....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]Pretty sure his comeback was also a short jab....
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

It was. If ADK wants to give, he has to take...even on a Bruins board. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: How the Bruins will win Round 1:[QUOTE]Agree the Bruins should counter speed w/speed where they can. If they sit back and try to react to what Mtl does on offense they are in big trouble. Would like to see a lot of Marchand on offense, as well as Peverly--and if CJ is going sit Seguin like I expect him to (not happy about it, but he won't answer my phone calls) Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Agreed that both Brad and Rich are very important if the Bruins want to go deep into the playoffs Marchand especially on the PK. If Peverley starts dangling like he did yesterday this could be a very short series.

Not happy about it either as I think there will be spurts of transition Seguin speed could have been used.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i'm always the last person in the room to get the joke. sorry kennedy, didn't catch the smiley face till after the fact. like to wish you luck this thursday but we both know that would be a blatant lie!!!! GO B'S

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Special teams and goaltending will likely decide this series. The B's are the best team in the league 5 on 5 so they have the edge there. Bring it on. Go B's !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How the Bruins will win Round 1 : Agreed that both Brad and Rich are very important if the Bruins want to go deep into the playoffs Marchand especially on the PK. If Peverley starts dangling like he did yesterday this could be a very short series. Not happy about it either as I think there will be spurts of transition Seguin speed could have been used.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Has CJ tipped his hand yet whether Segs will be a healthy scratch in Game 1? I have a weird feeling he could actually do more damage at the Bell Ctr., but I'd like him to play regular shifts in the series (Peverly, Kelly, Seguin) but I doubt that will happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Just to be different, allow less goals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

How the bruins will win round 1?

Tim Thomas stands on his fr!cken head and Lucic lights the lamp all series.

OMG "Fr!ggen and Fr!cken" are banned words?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I would add to the mix the D has to stand up at the blue line.  That was something that that Bruins did really well during the last game of the year.  For that they need a good support from the forwards.  No matter what they say the habs don't want to dump the puck therefore the Bruins have to force them to do so.  If the D is giving away the blue line then we will be in trouble!!  TT cannot be scared of freezing the puck since the Habs are not a strong forechecking team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: How the Bruins will win Round 1:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How the Bruins will win Round 1 : Has CJ tipped his hand yet whether Segs will be a healthy scratch in Game 1? Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Yah Uncle Fester gets his freakin (interpret anyway you want) way for now but at some point I think we just might see Tyler maybe the 2nd round when Glyder does his usual Houdini.