If that isn't a kick, what is?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

If that isn't a kick, what is?

With 30 secs to go in the OTT/NYR game 6, chris Neil clearly kicks the puck in the net.  Not only that, he even shoved Lundqvist out of the way with his stick beforehand.  Did anyone see it?

While I might be able to buy that Neil was pushed into Lundqvist, therefore pushing Neils stick into him and moving him, might be seen by the warroom as legal play....  how on earth was it not seen as a distinct kicking motion?  Even though his skate seems to barely graze the puck, it's clear that it goes from barely moving to sliding into the net.  If that isn't a kick what is?

You can see it here, it's at the very end of the video:
    http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,3,116&navid=sb:highlights

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: If that isn't a kick, what is?

I was watching it too, and I didn't see conclusively that Neil's skate touched the puck.  It was called a goal on the ice, so it has to be clear that it's NOT a goal, and I don't think there's enough evidence to say that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

The shove isn't reviewable, and from the ice level view you can see that his skate blade doesn't even touch the top of the puck.

From the normal view you can see him looking down, and intentionally trying to kick it in but he doesn't connect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

In Response to Re: If that isn't a kick, what is?:
    [QUOTE]I was watching it too, and I didn't see conclusively that Neil's skate touched the puck.  It was called a goal on the ice, so it has to be clear that it's NOT a goal, and I don't think there's enough evidence to say that.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

did you watch the end of the video i posted a link to?  Its very clear there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]The shove isn't reviewable, and from the ice level view you can see that his skate blade doesn't even touch the top of the puck. From the normal view you can see him looking down, and intentionally trying to kick it in but he doesn't connect.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info about the shove, I didnt know that.

Do you have a replay that shows that his skate blade doesnt touch the top of the puck?  because if you look at the 2nd replay in my linked video, you can clearly see the puck lying there not moving. His skate then goes over the top of the puck as he kicks at it - and clearly is the only thing that could have touched it - and it then moves into the net. 

Its obvious to me that the bottom of his skate at least scraped the top of the puck and is what caused it to go in the net.  Kicked in goal.  If you have a video that has an angle that shows he missed it, I would like to see it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I watched it over and over again. It looks for sure like a kick, but it looks like he fanned on it. He tried to kick it in, but he whiffed. It looked like the glove gave it the extra motion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]I watched it over and over again. It looks for sure like a kick, but it looks like he fanned on it. He tried to kick it in, but he whiffed. It looked like the glove gave it the extra motion.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Take a look at this video.  The 1st replay at the end shows that it was not the glove. 

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,3,116&navid=sb:highlights

The second replay shows, IMO, that it was the skate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not the glove, but neither of those clearly shows definitively that he made contact. There's another angle CBC showed that shows he went over the puck.

they ruled it a goal, they need CONCLUSIVE evidence to overturn it. I have not seen anything conclusive.

He may have kicked it in, but there's no conclusive evidence, including your clips, that proves he does. And the CBC angle makes it look like he didn't.

He tried to kick it, but the rule doesn't take trying into account.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

I'd like to see the CBC clip, do you have a link?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Terrible officiating.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to see the CBC clip, do you have a link?
    Posted by Eric66[/QUOTE]

I'm looking for a clip online, (I saw it on the broadcast - they played it over and over again) and I'll post it when I find one. It was a side angle, and it looked like he went over the puck. Definitely tried to kick it, but the side angle makes it look like he missed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

That might have been the worst call I ever seen. Neil sticks his stick into Lundqvist side pushed him over 2 to 3 feet then kicks the puck in.There is only one team from Canada still playing was the call

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In the end, I have a harder time understanding how the call on the ice was good goal.  Neil had three calls from Benfica offering him a job when he came off the ice.  That's how easy it was to see that he was kicking at the puck.  Now, the question of did he hit it or not is beside the point here - if I'm the ref and I see a guy make that obvious of a kicking motion at the puck and then the puck goes in?  No goal, but sure, let's review it to see if I'm wrong.

Loved the commentator - TSN or CBC, I forget - who said "I don't think I've ever heard a conspiracy theory that the league wants New York out of the playoffs in favour of the Ottawa market...".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It was a kicking motion but the contact with the puck was not made.  I actually think Lunquist pushed the puck over the line inadvertently.  

Ottawa got rattled for a few minutes and lost the game, even if the Rangers win the next game, the other remaining teams know the Rangers are not invincible.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

here's a different angle.... why is it not goalie interference? lundquist tries to cover the puck with his glove, and gets a skate full of neil? even if it's incidental and no penalty, it's still goalie interference, no? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Not in the blue paint adkbeesfan.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Makeup for the headshot Neil took a few minutes earlier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Sure looked like he kicked it to me, and I'm not sure how you have a more clear kicking motion than that.

As far as Chris Neil, I found his whining to the refs about an elbow to be quite amusing given his history.  It's the exact same hit he put on Boyle last game.

Neil has thrown some hits (on Chris Drury for one) which would result in 20 games in the new NHL.  Then Del Zotta clips him slightly high on a marginal hit and he's screaming for justice.  Funny.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]Not in the blue paint adkbeesfan.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    what do you mean by "not in the blue paint"? am i a moron (entirely possible)? neil's skate is 1 foot from the goal line and in the blue paint. henrick tries to cover the puck, and covers the top of neils skate. somebody explain how this is not goalie interference- or am i missing something. if it's obvious, and i'm an idiot, i can handle it...  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

hello... anybody out there?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If that isn't a kick, what is? : what do you mean by "not in the blue paint"? am i a moron (entirely possible)? neil's skate is 1 foot from the goal line and in the blue paint. henrick tries to cover the puck, and covers the top of neils skate. somebody explain how this is not goalie interference- or am i missing something. if it's obvious, and i'm an idiot, i can handle it...  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    ADK, I couldn't really see a good enough angle on the "kick" but I agree that looked like goalie interference. I'm getting tired of seeing some goals scored while a guy has both feet in the blue paint. The year of the" toe in the crease" was ridiculous too but I have trouble understanding what(if anything) the new rule is. There's no way Lundqvist can do his job properly with a guy on top of him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i think the officials were mesmerized (similiar to a magic trick) watching neils foot and the puck, meanwhile completely missing the fact that the goalie was obstructed with. lundquist covers neils skate. if they thought neil was pushed into that position, then don't call it a penalty. but it's still incidental obstruction. add it to the laundry list of what the...? when it comes to officiating this post-season. nobody knows what icing is, what a clean check is, what a clean face off is, what goalie interference is... this has been a forgetable playoffs for the nhl officials for sure. this is a really bad thing. it's beginning to feel like the refs are playing a big part in the outcome of games. it's really frustrating.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I can always be open to being corrected, adkbeesfan.  Yet the puck was in the blue paint before Neil entered the blue paint.  Lundquist did not cover the puck so the puck was available to being a goal.  Lastly Neil was pushed into the blue paint albeit without much resistence to hitting the goalie.  

That said I am not a big fan of goalie interference unless the player deliberately skates into the goalie when the puck has been covered for the whistle.  The whistle is the key to me.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

So if Lunqwist has his glove on it and Neil kicks the glove, it's not a kicked in goal because his skate didn't make contact with the puck?

That's pretty absurd to me. Why does he have to make contact with the puck if him kicking the stick and glove of Lundqwist caused the puck to go in?

Horrible call all the way around on that play. Should have been interference, should have been a kick, refs and Toronto should have used better judgement.

I agree with Torts on the bench "Are you $%#ing kidding me?"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]I can always be open to being corrected, adkbeesfan.  Yet the puck was in the blue paint before Neil entered the blue paint.  Lundquist did not cover the puck so the puck was available to being a goal.  Lastly Neil was pushed into the blue paint albeit without much resistence to hitting the goalie.   That said I am not a big fan of goalie interference unless the player deliberately skates into the goalie when the puck has been covered for the whistle.  The whistle is the key to me.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    isla, he couldn't cover the puck in his own crease because it landed on top of neil's skate. if this is not interference, albeit incidental, what is? the goalie cannot be prevented from making a save in his crease by an opposing player. this issue has nothing to do with kicking, or being in the crease first, or how neil got in the crease. seems pretty black and white. lundquist reaches his glove out to make a save in his crease and it lands on an opposing players skate. are we all watching the same thing?