if you're interested in expansion or relocation...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

if you're interested in expansion or relocation...

this is a pretty compelling read.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/conference-board-says-canada-ripe-for-major-league-sports-expansion/article4494838/

the actual studies are here

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/reports/briefings/bigLeagues/briefing-14.aspx

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/reports/briefings/bigLeagues/briefing-12.aspx

among other sports, it predicts three new nhl franchises in canada.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: if you're interested in expansion or relocation...

My guess is Bettman does not want to be a source of speculation.  As for the Conference Board  (excellent sources of information btw),  the markets are ripe for expansion and or relocation.  If the teams in Nashville, Florida, Pheonix do not make financial sense then long term it is better to have teams in colder climates.  Canada is cold.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: if you're interested in expansion or relocation...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: if you're interested in expansion or relocation... : If he runs out of other options that are viable, Bettman will move teams - he's proven this with Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford, Minnesota and Atlanta, most notably with Atlanta as it shows a willingness to move back north if other opportunities are not available - other than the three mentioned in that article, the only other options are in the northern US as well - Seattle and Milwaukee. He's also shown a willingness to return to previous markets - Atlanta, Winnipeg, Denver and Minnesota. He's said time and again that relocation is a last resort, but sometimes that last resort happens. Just ask Jets fans. As an aside, it also drives me nuts when I hear that if a market has already lost a team it shouldn't get a second shot. The NHL has returned to previous markets 11 times now, and only twice - Quebec and Atlanta - has it not worked out.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

You're giving Bettman far too much credit and power.  He didn't move the teams.  He didn't decide "Hey Quebec, you guys are toast.  Off to Colorado for you!"  He certainly wasn't behind Norm Green's wild willy problems and had nothing to do with the complete and total failure in Atlanta.

As for returning to previous markets being successful or not, the timeframe is too great to even put any of them close enough to draw lines.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The entire article is based upon "the Canadian dollar will likely remain strong". 

That's pretty crazy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: if you're interested in expansion or relocation...:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if you're interested in expansion or relocation... : Having spent some time up in the Adirondacks with the 4600 people who live there, I can say the expos were a big draw.  Probably more people live there now. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

If the Expos didn't play in that awful Olympic Stadium they might have stayed up north.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would rather the league retract. Also, I don't know why so many Canadians think Gary Bettman hates Canada. And the Canadian dollar will remain strong... at least in comparison to the American one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]The entire article is based upon "the Canadian dollar will likely remain strong".  That's pretty crazy.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Scary, even.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather the league retract. Also, I don't know why so many Canadians think Gary Bettman hates Canada. And the Canadian dollar will remain strong... at least in comparison to the American one.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

It will for now, but to suggest the trend will last 25 years is ridiculous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Canada is a bigger country.  Outside of the agricultural might of the USA, the future is not so bright.  Canada,  with the USA expending 30% of the budget to the military protection makes Canada a viable partner in the economic future in NA.  Expansion is not a long shot, nor is the fact the Canadian dollar could be a better bet than the inflationary US dollar.  BTW look at the assets of the Bank of Montreal... better than TD!  Hmmm.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Canada is a bigger country.  Outside of the agricultural might of the USA, the future is not so bright.  Canada,  with the USA expending 30% of the budget to the military protection makes Canada a viable partner in the economic future in NA.  Expansion is not a long shot, nor is the fact the Canadian dollar could be a better bet than the inflationary US dollar.  BTW look at the assets of the Bank of Montreal... better than TD!  Hmmm.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

hopefully you realize that TD is Canadian as well. TD stands for Toronto Dominion. TD owns TD banknorth and TD ameritrade. The parent TD company has greater assests than Bank of Montreal, but again theyre both Canadian.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yes I do Red, Bank of Montreal is a far better investment as it did not go crazy with mortgages ten years back.  My point is Canada is a very viable economy whose dollar will be stable with the growing population and natural resources.  Hockey in Canada imo is positive.  The conference board produces excellent information on economies.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: if you're interested in expansion or relocation... : hopefully you realize that TD is Canadian as well. TD stands for Toronto Dominion. TD owns TD banknorth and TD ameritrade. The parent TD company has greater assests than Bank of Montreal, but again theyre both Canadian.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

And both TD and BMo are smaller than the Royal Bank.

As with any economy, there are ups and downs, but Canada has things that the world needs.  Specifically, oil and water.  The latter will become a major economic issue in the years to come.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Missed the point North, being conservative in a market economy is best.  It does not matter the size but the attitude.  That remark is a reflection on the US markets rather than the Canadien one.  TD bank is down the road from me.  Bank of Monttreal is not.  Who did the best job at handling people's money in the past ten years?  Multi national banking is costly.  Bailing out now.  Cheers.