Iginla and the over 35-crowd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Iginla and the over 35-crowd

El Busto keeping pace with the rest of the old boys.

Post-to-post THN blog  

Top 10: Most productive 35-and-older NHLers Casey Ippolito By:  Casey Ippolito on February 1, 2014 Filed under: Boston BruinsChicago BlackhawksDetroit Red Wings,New Jersey DevilsNHLPhoenix CoyotesTampa Bay LightningTop 10Winnipeg Jets   jaromirjagr

Everyone loves a “beating the odds” story. And odds are, by the time a hockey player’s 35th birthday has passed, his production has slowed considerably, giving him more time between shifts to contemplate investment opportunities or a broadcasting career. But there’s always a few gifted impact players who seem to barely slow down with age. Here’s the top-10 point-getters over 35 this season.

10. Marek Zidlicky (36 years old) – 29 points
    Having played fewer than 50 games every year since 2009-10 because of various injuries, Zidlicky has been healthy this year and his resurgent season has been a pleasant surprise for the New Jersey Devils.

9. Olli Jokinen (35) – 31 points
    Jokinen signed in Winnipeg before the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season and began his career as a Jet with 14 points in 45 games. He’s followed that abysmal showing with a bounce-back statistical season, just in time for another contract year. BONUS: Waffle. [Note: This entire post was simply an excuse to show that gif.]

8. Shane Doan (37) – 31 points
    His season was interrupted by Rocky Mountain fever that forced him out of 13 games, but Doan has still managed to return to the lineup and lead the Coyotes with 0.76 points per game.

7. Pavel Datsyuk (35) – 32 points
    The ‘Magic Man’ has been limited to just 35 games this season and would probably be second on this list if not for injuries. Everyone knows how adept the Red Wings superstar is with the puck, including Datsyuk himself.

6. Daniel Alfredsson (41) – 32 points
    Even though the Red Wings don’t look like Cup contenders as of yet, Alfie has been a good fit in Detroit alongside fellow Swedish Olympians Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall and Johan Franzen.

5. Patrik Elias (37) – 33 points
    The second of three Devils on the list, the 37-year-old Czech has battled injuries but is still on pace to eclipse 50 points for the 12th time in his career.

4. Jarome Iginla (36) – 38 points
    After his failed stint in Pittsburgh last season, many suggested Iggy’s productive years were done. As a Penguin, Iginla was shifted to left wing and wasn’t deployed on the top power play unit. This year, playing right wing on a line with Milan Lucic and David Krejci, No. 12 has reignited his game.

3. Marian Hossa (35) – 46 points
    It’s easy to forget how old Hossa is when you consider his fast feet and robust playing style. He’s still the best defensive winger in hockey and leads the league in takeaways, to go along with another productive offensive campaign.

2. Jaromir Jagr (41) – 48 points
    He’s already caught Mario Lemieux on the all-time assists list this season, and he needs fewer than 20 points to catch Steve Yzerman for sixth in all-time scoring. By the time he hangs ‘em up, Jagr will probably have passed Ron Francis for fourth on the all-time points list.

1. Martin St-Louis (38) – 53 points
    One year removed from winning the Art Ross Trophy, St-Louis’s latest achievement is leading the Lightning without Steven Stamkos and keeping the Bolts within a few points of the Atlantic Division lead. There’s no point in once again bringing up how foolish it was to leave the prolific and adaptable St-Louis off the Canadian Olympic team, so I won’t.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Iginla and the over 35-crowd

Someone got off their Julien blow up doll and learned how to copy n paste. 3 powerplay goals this season WoW. The writer actually mentions how important Iginla is by mentioning he was inserted onto the powerplay. As if to say how much Iginla has bolstered the PP.

Let me get some popcorn...tell me more!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Another thing to take into consideration with these players above...........cap hits. Iginla's cap hit is the least among these oldies.

I'd say the Bruin's are getting fair value for their investment.

St. Louis  $6.5M

Jagr         $2M

Hossa      $5.275M

Iginla       $1.8M

Elias         $5.5M

Alfredsson $3.5M

Datsyuk    $6.7M

Doan         $5.3M

Jokinen      $4.5M 

Zidlicky       $3.0M

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Some other tidbits about Iginla's 2013-14 season so far:  

- hasn't missed a game this year. Durability hasn't been a concern so far.

- Third on the team in points.

- Tied for third in goals scored.

- Tied for 2nd in PP points. 

- 2nd on the team in shots.

- 2nd in forwards ice time per game

-2nd amongst forwards in PPG's

- tied for 3rd among forwards in +/-

That's a lot of 2nd's and 3rd's.

All this and more, despite being ranked as the 7th highest paid forward on the team.

P.S. Stats (tm) are great to show the value of a player's worth to their teams ..........of course, when used in conjunction with watching a player play ( and not swayed by hate ).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Iginla is ranked 120th in the league for powerplay goals while on the Bruins #1 unit. I'm not going to bother with his PPTOI because, well, the ranking says it all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Enough of the wrangling, Iginla is a younger Recchi in my mind.  He is not going to produce like the old days in Calgary.  He will help the Bs solidfy lines after losing serveral players to the Cap.  I hope he remains on the team, but I definitely see his role diminish ahead.  The first line needs a younger player.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Enough of the wrangling, Iginla is a younger Recchi in my mind.  He is not going to produce like the old days in Calgary.  He will help the Bs solidfy lines after losing serveral players to the Cap.  I hope he remains on the team, but I definitely see his role diminish ahead.  The first line needs a younger player.  

[/QUOTE]

...and it better not be Loui Cheekbones...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If you think SanDog is incorrect, well, there is only one way to find out.  Place Eriksson on the first line.  What risk is there to the suggestion?  If it fails in ten games go back to Iginla.  Iginla just might be what is lacking on the third line.  Soderberg can shoot the puck and needs to have someone feed him the puck from the corners.  He said so in an interview yesterday in reference to Kelly on the line.  

In response to MrHulot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...and it better not be Loui Cheekbones...

[/QUOTE]

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Some other tidbits about Iginla's 2013-14 season so far:  

- hasn't missed a game this year. Durability hasn't been a concern so far.

- Third on the team in points.

- Tied for third in goals scored.

- Tied for 2nd in PP points. 

- 2nd on the team in shots.

- 2nd in forwards ice time per game

-2nd amongst forwards in PPG's

- tied for 3rd among forwards in +/-

That's a lot of 2nd's and 3rd's.

All this and more, despite being ranked as the 7th highest paid forward on the team.

P.S. Stats (tm) are great to show the value of a player's worth to their teams ..........of course, when used in conjunction with watching a player play ( and not swayed by hate ).

Cheers to that Chowda! The B's always seem to have fans that do this to decent-great players. Thomas, Ryder, Shawn Thornton, Jagr , Eriksson & Iginla are just a few. Anyone who thinks Iginla isn't having a decent yr so far is certainly spurned by nothing but hate for him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't like the way Iginla is playing right now so that means I hate him.

Genius

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I love Iggy, San and Chowda.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I love his presence on that line.  He's not HOF Iggy but he never takes a shift off, and is always in the middle of it.  He's another player on the ice that other teams have to worry about a little bit.

Quite a bit better than last regular season Nathan Horton.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I don't like the way Iginla is playing right now so that means I hate him.

Genius

Well if your opinion isn't based on hate and you don't like the way he's playing now.............then your opinion just plain sucks.

No sugar coating it and no other way to put it.

Texas two cent opinions must be questioned also. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Enough of the wrangling, 

[/QUOTE]

Does wrangling also mean someone posting pics of themself ( during a person's midlife/macho man crisis mode ) to challenge any of the young pups ? 

I'm here to have an alternate viewpoint of some of the ridiculous opinions that goes on here. And there is plenty.

Don't like it or my straight forward approach ? Too F....ing bad. I will not join the conga line or sugar coat the stupidity of some any longer.

Saying ......what I feel, how I feel, in any manner I feel, to whom I feel ...........at any time I want to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't know how any reasonable hockey person would feel the need to diss Iginla.  He's been so much better than advertised, and a huge upgrade over Horton.  At half the money for frig sakes!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love Iggy, San and Chowda.   

[/QUOTE]

Whether you "love me" or not means nothing to me. I've fallen " out of love " with bypassing posts that are bordering on being ridiculous and having stupidity in them.

If they stink in my mind, I'll be there to question the rationalizations of those posts. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know how any reasonable hockey person would feel the need to diss Iginla.  He's been so much better than advertised, and a huge upgrade over Horton.  At half the money for frig sakes!

[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head with this qoute. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

If they stink in my mind, I'll be there to question the rationalizations of those posts. 

[/QUOTE]

You've got your work cut out for you.  The ignore button might be better for your blood pressure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

[QUOTE]

You've got your work cut out for you.  The ignore button might be better for your blood pressure.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not planning on reading and addressing them all . Just the ones I come across.

If I did that I'd be dead in one day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Enough of the wrangling, 

[/QUOTE]

Does wrangling also mean someone posting pics of themself ( during a person's midlife/macho man crisis mode ) to challenge any of the young pups ? 

I'm here to have an alternate viewpoint of some of the ridiculous opinions that goes on here. And there is plenty.

Don't like it or my straight forward approach ? Too F....ing bad. I will not join the conga line or sugar coat the stupidity of some any longer.

Saying ......what I feel, how I feel, in any manner I feel, to whom I feel ...........at any time I want to.

[/QUOTE]

You know who started doing this from day one.   Wait for it......NAS.    So are you NAS II?   Chowda, i really dont have a beef with anyone on here...sometimes posts are made outta frustration, its a way to vent, yes im guilty of this and im also guilty of making a dumb comment or opinion.  so now you are gonna essentially chase all the regulars around and attempt to make them look stupid?   this is the new you?  you call me part of this click...do you realize that i argue with all of the regulars more then anyone here And have since i arrived, you know this from experience Bc you used to be a major part of "the click" and we had a mutual ignore treaty. I havent changed my ways bc i dont feel there is a need to.  I actually dont mind you spicing things up....but you used to offer a lot in terms of hockey knowledge, thats the only part i hope comes with NAS II.

for whats its worth im glad your back...have fun making BDC a better place.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

Another thing to take into consideration with these players above...........cap hits. Iginla's cap hit is the least among these oldies.

St. Louis  $6.5M

Jagr         $2M

Hossa      $5.275M

Iginla       $1.8M

Elias         $5.5M

Alfredsson $3.5M

Datsyuk    $6.7M

Doan         $5.3M

Jokinen      $4.5M 

Zidlicky       $3.0M

[/QUOTE]

his cap hit is 6 million. his base salary is 1.8

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

St. Louis  $6.5M

Jagr         $2M

Hossa      $5.275M

Iginla       $1.8M

Elias         $5.5M

Alfredsson $3.5M

Datsyuk    $6.7M

Doan         $5.3M

Jokinen      $4.5M 

Zidlicky       $3.0M

[/QUOTE]

his cap hit is 6 million. his base salary is 1.8

[/QUOTE]

If he achieves all his bonuses.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Iginla went on some droughts as Horton used to do and Lucic also.  I happy thus far with his prodcuction and don't feel Julien must tinker with the lines at this point and time.

Iggy rest up for the long run coming up after Sochi.