In Chiarelli We Trust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: In Chiarelli We Trust?

In response to shuperman's comment:

PC and Feaster sitting next to each other ib leaf land tonight.  Welcome Sarich and Iggy soon.  

Saw that as well, Iggy deal signed, sealed, and delivered after the Flames lose a few more.;-D

Sarich not so sure, but makes sense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Didn't mean to butt in on your conversation. I just really did not know Peverely was actively being shopped.

First I heard of it also, JM.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

PC and Feaster sitting next to each other ib leaf land tonight.  Welcome Sarich and Iggy soon.  

Saw that as well, Iggy deal signed, sealed, and delivered after the Flames lose a few more.;-D

Sarich not so sure, but makes sense.

Sarich is a warrior who can play limited or large minutes.  Hits, fights has won.  Bring him on...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Didn't mean to butt in on your conversation. I just really did not know Peverely was actively being shopped.

First I heard of it also, JM.

Me as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Follow Jimmy MurphyJimmy Murphy@MurphysLaw74

If as I was told the Bruins were shopping Rich Peverley, they're likely not anymore if Chris Kelly will be out for extended period of time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sad day when Murphy is a source.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

When do Bruins 20 goal scorers in the AHL get shots when Julien wants Chiarelli to get vets...

Did Marchand just get lucky that there was an opening ?

It came down to Sauve and Caron at the begining of 2011-2012 season. One was coming off a 21 goal season in the AHL the year before and the other scores 13. I watched the pre-season games and Julien goes with the mucker...

Trend ? Peverley was being shopped with no takers before Kelly get hurt. MacDermid sits for Thornton.

When do the prospects get a chance ? in Boston only when injuries occur...

See, I disagree about the whole "Julien wants vets" thing.  I think you hear that from every fanbase in every sport - the coach wants vets.  It comes from the perception that a veteran is what he is - responsible mucker, or professional but second-rate and in decline - where a rookie can be a less-effective player but people want him to play ahead of the veteran because "he'll develop into a better player".  But if the guys doesn't have the skills or physical abilities to play in the NHL, throwing him in just to give him a chance is a disaster, and it's not good for the team.  The other veterans who had to earn their way onto the roster look at that and see a guy who has been a pro lose his job to a kid who hasn't shown he belongs?  Not good for anyone.

I think coaches want to win.  All coaches.  If they don't win, they don't keep their jobs unless their names are Trotz or Ruff, and even then, eventually, it'll catch up to you.  To paraphrase some guy who used to play goal for the Bruins, I think Claude has a pretty good idea of how to evaluate whether players can play the role he needs them to play, and I don't think he's taking advice at this time.

And CJ has worked a lot of youth into this lineup.  Lucic wasn't an injury fill-in - he bulled his way onto the team because Claude saw a role for him.  Seguin wasn't an injury fill-in, and his ice was controlled as they tried to improve his decision-making (see whole other thread).  The Bruins didn't pursue a veteran D-man in the offseason because they committed to Hamilton.  Boychuk served a long apprenticeship and then seized the permanent opportunity.  Same with McQuaid.  Marchand earned a spot on the third line and worked his way up.  Caron was a better player in camp han Sauve - more complete regardless of the number of AHL goals they scored.  He went back to the AHL because he wasn't better than Pouliot.  He still isn't, but they didn't re-sign Pouliot because they were going to give him first shot.  Being good in the AHL doesn't mean you can play in the NHL, especially in a third line role.  Look at ordinary average superstar Mikko Lehtonen.  28 goals his first pro year, 23 the next, then he took his passport and went to the SEL where he scored 30 his first year...before bolting for his third league in three years and being an average KHL player at best.  (Note: Lehtonen's numbers in the SEL look almost exactly like Yetiberg's this year - adjust your Yetiberg expectations accordingly.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The kid at McDonald's who told him that probably had an inside source.  Maybe a friend who scouts for some Western conference team?

Yeah, I went there.  Just to be a jerk.  Happy Thursday.  Beat the senioritas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I didn't know it either and my reply to you was having some fun.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Show me where I posted Murphy was my source ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Relax, Rocky.  I didn't say that your source was Murphy.  Someone posted that quote from Murphy and I said it's a sad day when he's a source.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Relax, Rocky.  I didn't say that your source was Murphy.  Someone posted that quote from Murphy and I said it's a sad day when he's a source.

It wouldn't suprise you that Peverley was being shopped ? or it would suprise you ?

PS. More like Lamotta

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I didn't know it either and my reply to you was having some fun.

No worries....99% of me took it as such but you never truly know on blogs.....:)

That is a bit of a revelation and what makes it even more interesting is that Rich was being shopped and not Kelly, considering both were horrendous for most of the year this. CJ would probably prefer Kelly over Peverley I would think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

When do Bruins 20 goal scorers in the AHL get shots when Julien wants Chiarelli to get vets...

It came down to Sauve and Caron at the begining of 2011-2012 season. One was coming off a 21 goal season in the AHL the year before and the other scores 13. I watched the pre-season games and Julien goes with the mucker...

Trend ? Peverley was being shopped with no takers before Kelly get hurt. MacDermid sits for Thornton.

Marchand earned a spot on the third line and worked his way up.  Caron was a better player in camp han Sauve - more complete regardless of the number of AHL goals they scored.  He went back to the AHL because he wasn't better than Pouliot.  He still isn't, but they didn't re-sign Pouliot because they were going to give him first shot.  Being good in the AHL doesn't mean you can play in the NHL, especially in a third line role. 

2009-2010     Bruins                                    20      0        1         1
    2008-2009     Providence Bruins-AHL         79     18     41     59
    2007-2008     Val-d'Or Foreurs- QMJHL      33     21     23     44
    2007-2008     Halifax              -QMJHL      26     10     19     29

2010-2011     Bruins                                 23     3     4       7

2010-2011     Providence Bruins-AHL       47     12     16     28
    2009-2010     Rimouski Oceanic-QMJHL    20     9     11      20        
    2009-2010     Rouyn-Noranda -QMJHL     23     17     16     33

2008-2009     Val-d'Or Foreurs-QMJHL    64     27     49     76

2010-2011     Providence Bruins-AHL     61     21     17     38

Some players were allowed to work there way in with plenty of patience, some prospects didn't earn any stripes but are allowed plenty of time and others just aren't allowed after earning there stripes. I see no consitstency in how they are picked to work their way in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Really?  It seems fairly obvious to me.  I don't mean that as a shot, either, just that the decisions make sense to me.

Take Rico. The guy is made of glass, but he's shown some touch in the past and with the right guys around him, I can see how he might be able to work up the ladder. But the role he can play is very limited.  I can't see him as a fourth line fill in guy because he'll be playing largely against other teams' third and fourth lines and he'll get busted up. I can't see him as a third liner because his offensive skills require support from other guys with offensive skills, and other than his flat out speed, it's his offensive skill that is potentially NHL calibre. That means he has to play on one of the top two lines. Who among the top six do you sit to make room for him?  Unless there's an injury?  And when there is an injury, and you have guys like Peverley in the bottom six or Kelly who skate as well or better than Rico and have NHL experience, you'd have to have a lot of faith in the guy to put him in the top six as his tryout. I'd say that one 20 goal season where you have fewer than 40 points is a good start, but not enough to give you that faith.  Spooner, by contrast, has shown well at camp and in exhibition games, he's leading Providence in scoring and he's nearly a point/game player as rookie pro.  So he's getting a shot in one of the roles that make sense for him.  Marchand proved he could be a fourth line agitator, so he got his shot there not because he scored in Providence.

Rico just has a very narrow role and if that role isn't there, he's not going to find a way up.  Arniel got a one game tryout and looked like a disaster. He wasn't using his head at all.  If you can't at least play the structure, you haven't earned the right to play no matter how many goals you scored in the A.  Hamill eventually learned the structure and got his long tryout because of it. Did nothing, but earned patience by playing with his head.  Eventually, though, that wasn't enough to show he could do more than just fill a jersey.

Caron is a guy who can play multiple roles.  He's been okay with Bergeron, though not immensely productive, and he's been okay on the third line.  His game tells you that he can help the Bruins in more ways that Sauve or Arniel could have.  Or Lehtonen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Sorry Book, but who is RICO ? I just finished a long comment in one of the other threads where I questioned some of the same areas being discussed here. The injuries have exposed some missing ingredients in the Bruins envelope. Why have Johnson and McDermid been warming their toes as primary backups ? Pandolfo has shown his known PK skills, but this compressed schedule is a challenge for the younger/regular players, and have obviously drained Pandolfo as he tries to do more than expected. But what about guys like Bartkowski who looked possible three years ago ? And, why has Krug not been given a trial run when he looked possible last year. i know Claude has focused on Hamilton, and has slowly integrated guys like Marchand, Seguin, even Kreji inhis early days; but, the transition to what is needed today does not seem to be happening. Granted Claude's defensive game plan works until the speed, strength and size of opposing teams take over the third period. It didn't happen in Pittsburgh where Vitale's lucky swipe scored, and seguin's trickled along the goal line. So, where is the consistency and sixty minute effort. Perhaps some of the experienced D men are fading with so many tough games. Age and past injuries does that, and it may be that Claude needs to ROTATE 7 skilled defensemen; it may be that Claude cannot continue to " carry" Thornton when Campbell and Paille need a stronger, more skilled partner; it may be that Horton needs a fill in occasionaly in order to avoid those " once-in-a-while" slow days. It may need some new perspectives to augment Claude's tried and true game plans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Rico = Max Sauve.  When he first came on the radar, people would mis-spell his name Suave.  As in Rico Suave, immortalized (ROTFL) by "Gerardo":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKT-o7fg2Rg

Almost as bad as all of the posts saying the Bruins needed to trade up to get Hall rather than take "Sequin".  They must have meant this guy:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1T61vX4wm4 

They signed Johnson to be a veteran fill in and an insurance policy.  So far, I haven't seen anything to suggest the Bruins need to give Krug a shot.  Ference has been fighting it all year, but he's a veteran, and the Bruins will be better this year if he finds his game than if Krug comes up.  At least, I have no reason to believe Krug is a no-brainer replacement.  If they continue to struggle, then I'm sure there will be changes.  Krug needed to be in Providence.  He started slowly and has come on in teh second half.  That sure looks like a guy who needed to play and gain his pro legs.  I think he's in the mix next year, and they might even let Ference walk if they think Hamilton is far enough along in his development that they can ride out a few bumps with another rookie.  As for the last month - the Bruins hate March.  They played their worst hockey in Feb-Mar last year.  This year, it's 3rd period play.  Last year, it was always playing from behind.  If I had my choice of problems, I'd rather work on holding and building on a lead than trying to come from behind all the time.

Bartkowski has played his way down the depth chart.  Things are very bad if you see him on the blueline.  Like, Andrew Alberts bad. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

See, I disagree about the whole "Julien wants vets" thing.  I think you hear that from every fanbase in every sport - the coach wants vets.  It comes from the perception that a veteran is what he is - responsible mucker, or professional but second-rate and in decline - where a rookie can be a less-effective player but people want him to play ahead of the veteran because "he'll develop into a better player".  But if the guys doesn't have the skills or physical abilities to play in the NHL, throwing him in just to give him a chance is a disaster, and it's not good for the team.  The other veterans who had to earn their way onto the roster look at that and see a guy who has been a pro lose his job to a kid who hasn't shown he belongs?  Not good for anyone.

I think coaches want to win.  All coaches.  If they don't win, they don't keep their jobs unless their names are Trotz or Ruff, and even then, eventually, it'll catch up to you.  To paraphrase some guy who used to play goal for the Bruins, I think Claude has a pretty good idea of how to evaluate whether players can play the role he needs them to play, and I don't think he's taking advice at this time.

And CJ has worked a lot of youth into this lineup.  Lucic wasn't an injury fill-in - he bulled his way onto the team because Claude saw a role for him.  Seguin wasn't an injury fill-in, and his ice was controlled as they tried to improve his decision-making (see whole other thread).  The Bruins didn't pursue a veteran D-man in the offseason because they committed to Hamilton.  Boychuk served a long apprenticeship and then seized the permanent opportunity.  Same with McQuaid.  Marchand earned a spot on the third line and worked his way up.  Caron was a better player in camp han Sauve - more complete regardless of the number of AHL goals they scored.  He went back to the AHL because he wasn't better than Pouliot.  He still isn't, but they didn't re-sign Pouliot because they were going to give him first shot.  Being good in the AHL doesn't mean you can play in the NHL, especially in a third line role.  Look at ordinary average superstar Mikko Lehtonen.  28 goals his first pro year, 23 the next, then he took his passport and went to the SEL where he scored 30 his first year...before bolting for his third league in three years and being an average KHL player at best.  (Note: Lehtonen's numbers in the SEL look almost exactly like Yetiberg's this year - adjust your Yetiberg expectations accordingly.)

A big difference of the "top 6" let alone top 12 when Luc  and Krej came on the scene.  After Savard everyone was replaceable, and Berg was hurt. How do you not play both rooks when all you have is Sturm, Kobasew, Kessel-2nd year, Metropolit, Murray's last year, PJ's 2nd last year(so glad he is gone Cj would have him centering the top line), Schaefer, Nokelainen, Thornton,  Sobotka, Bochenski, Reich(yes 2 dancing clowns at once).

When you have a coach willing to play 2 dancing clowns Reich (2G 2A 4Pt) 78 pims, Thorn 74 pims 4G 3A 7Pt) and Lucic 89 pims(8G 19A 27Pts), please explain the reason of having either one let alone both.

We could have seen Pelletier, Matt Hendricks(he can skate), Nate Thompson or even the unforgettable Slattengren. Hamill could have even finished out the season and he would have been better than half the team.

This year there was 1 position and Cj wasted it on only giving the time to Bqe, now it is Caron, with time required for Kelly lets throw in Panda. Spooner gets a shot with Krej out that he should have already had.

Thorn hasn't been replaced because how can you replace someone that can turn on one skate and then hop into absolute blazing speed, MacD doesn't have a chance with his PK abilities over this.

Cj's  defensive smarts are also his weakest links.

Pevs is thrice the player of Kelly and hopefully he does not get shipped any time soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

Exelby has the best +/- in Prov at +9 and he was brought in in  the just in case scenario, he could be next. Florek leads the team at +11 with Hanson next at +9 then Spooner was at +8.

+/- is very important you would think for cj to consider, except for Caron -6, MacDermid -5 and the 3rd and 4th lines.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Really?  It seems fairly obvious to me.  I don't mean that as a shot, either, just that the decisions make sense to me.

Rico just has a very narrow role and if that role isn't there, he's not going to find a way up.  Arniel got a one game tryout and looked like a disaster. He wasn't using his head at all.  If you can't at least play the structure, you haven't earned the right to play no matter how many goals you scored in the A.  Hamill eventually learned the structure and got his long tryout because of it. Did nothing, but earned patience by playing with his head.  Eventually, though, that wasn't enough to show he could do more than just fill a jersey.

Caron is a guy who can play multiple roles.  He's been okay with Bergeron, though not immensely productive, and he's been okay on the third line.  His game tells you that he can help the Bruins in more ways that Sauve or Arniel could have.  Or Lehtonen.

Marchand and Caron were/are given time to at least have a chance. Arniel and Sauve were not. One game ? Really ? Sauve hasn't played the role of Center in the AHL that he did inthe Q, that is the dipparity in assist or point totals.

Arniel and Sauve earned their 20 games but were not afforded the same time limits as Marchand and Caron. Both players were out performed in the AHL but were given space that is not consistent. I don't know if Sauve nor Arniel would be "OK with Bergeron".

When does Cunningham get his shot or does he get a camp and ONE GAME ?

I don't think i'm asking for much to ask for the same amount of time frame for each prospect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think there's a huge difference, SanDog.  These prospects aren't entitled to anything just because they scored 20 goals.  If it's clear a guy is not an NHL player after 1 game, then that's all he should get.  Arniel clearly was not.  Sauve was injured, and he has never been close to as good since if his production this year is any indication.  If Sauve isn't a better option at centre than the guys they've had in Providence, then that doesn't bode well for that explanation that he would be more productive at C.  Marchand got 20 games because he contributed something - just not points.  Hamill got 20 games because there were flashes of the player the Bruins thought they were getting.  Early in that 20 games.  I have no problem with Claude or PC or whoever looking at these guys when they get a one game shot and saying "behind the play, wide-eyed, not strong enough, not physical enough" and yanking them.  Same with the decision about who comes up.  I have no problem with this conversation: "Donny, who should we bring up from Providence?  Cunningham just topped 20 goals again - should it be him?" "No, Pete.  Most of those are AHL goals.  He wouldn't be strong/fast/quick enough for those plays to have lit the lamp in the NHL.  Take Tardif - his shot is better and he's more likely to handle more of a third/fourth line role for you."

But I think we just look at this differently.  I have no stake in these kids' careers.  If they develop and the Bruins win, they're great and I hope they have fabulous careers.  But if they cost the Bruins games or the Bruins aren't winning and they're playing in place of a veteran who might help, then they should be back to the farm.  Not after 20 games.  RFN.  Your perspective seems more about being fair to the kids and giving them opportunities to develop.  I've always said F- that.  Earn it.  If you think you've earned it and you still haven't had a "real shot", suck it up buttercup and keep earning it.  When Marchand got the shot on the fourth line, he forced them to move him up.  He showed them the Bruins were a better team with him on the ice in a scoring role.  I hate the "they weren't given a chance...".  This is a competition.  Don't count on anyone giving you anything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think this is a fallacy - three rookies were on the ice when we won the Cup, and they weren't there because of injuries. They were there because they earned their spot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

It's the only one out there involving the Peverley trade rumour. I would've posted someone you liked but there weren't any.

You hate them all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

It's the only one out there involving the Peverley trade rumour. I would've posted someone you liked but there weren't any.

You hate them all.

BAWHAAAAA! ZINGGGGG!