Injury Protocol

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Injury Protocol

Not to go all lefty on everyone, but it really is time for there to be an independent physician paid for by the NHL and NHLPA at every game who evaluates player injuries and makes the call so the player and player's team can be left out of it. Seems like such a simple thing to do to protect players from themselves. We all know concussion protocol is a joke - nobody follows it. I really hope they step in and do something.

Read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--on-patrice-bergeron-and-playing-through-injury-in-stanley-cup-final--where-s-the-line--211413725.html

Stellar article on player injuries here.

Bergeron is by far my favorite player. But if he truly got an epidural to play, or "froze" his ribs to deal with the pain, it's beyond negligent in my view. Numbing your body that much when it's screaming at you to pay attention because something is horribly wrong just isn't worth it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from doodles444s. Show doodles444s's posts

Re: Injury Protocol

I was wondering about this in relation to Toews and a concussion from game 4. I don't think he even went back into the quiet room or anything when Boychuck hit. (And that was probably the 2nd or 3rd hit to the head he got that game... He had gotten at least an elbow in the follow through on the other end of the ice earlier.) .. oh found this article that mentioned the 3 hits.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52474-Stanley-Cup-2013-What-if-Jonathan-Toews-sustained-a-concussion-in-Game-5.html

I thought I heard after game 6 that he had a possible concussion.

While I feel hockey players are warriors (especially in comparison to other athletes).... I'm concerned about the mindset during the playoffs that seem to disregard all of the advances that have been made in player safety rules.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from doodles444s. Show doodles444s's posts

In response to doodles444s' comment:

I was wondering about this in relation to Toews and a concussion from game 4. I don't think he even went back into the quiet room or anything when Boychuck hit. (And that was probably the 2nd or 3rd hit to the head he got that game... He had gotten at least an elbow in the follow through on the other end of the ice earlier.) .. oh found this article that mentioned the 3 hits.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52474-Stanley-Cup-2013-What-if-Jonathan-Toews-sustained-a-concussion-in-Game-5.html

I thought I heard after game 6 that he had a possible concussion.

While I feel hockey players are warriors (especially in comparison to other athletes).... I'm concerned about the mindset during the playoffs that seem to disregard all of the advances that have been made in player safety rules.

On an ipad and can't get the article link to work... Sorry!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

During the regular season, it would have been a different thought process for sure, i.e. player taken out of the game. Playoffs, the attitude and assessment seems to be different, almost like, you have the rest of the summer to heal, so we'll do what we can to keep you out there.

I can't believe the players don't have a say in it......they probably lie themselves to keep in the game when it gets down the playoffs. A doctor can detect some obvious things, but there are others they cannot and have to trust the athlete to be honest in how they are feeling.