Interest in E. Kane?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Interest in E. Kane?

Is he too much of a cancer or is there interest here to attempt to bring in E. Kane and his horrible salary?

I would prefer Backlund on the cheap and his name starts with a "B".

JB's value is sky high right now, do we move him?

Investor Alert: O/T If you Invest in Stocks, BUY FANNIE MAE Symbol: FNMA Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Interest in E. Kane?

I don't think he's a cancer just a bit of a twit, and I don't think his salary is that horrible. I'm also not convinced, even with the rumours, that Winnipeg has him on the block. If it comes down to either Noel or Kane, I wouldn't be shocked if it's Noel that goes.

That said, if the Jets were to move Kane they'd want a King's ransom. Don't think he's worth what we'd have to giove up, at least in terms of the Bruins makeup and dynamic. Is a first line LW who has trouble playing his off wing really much of a priority for Boston? We have Lucic and Marchand, who seems to finally coming back to form. An agressive offnsive LW isn't exactly a gaping hole we need to fill.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

As I clicked on this, I said out loud, "This is going to suck."

It does.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Kane is worth his money but hes a twit like red mentioned.  He is a fantastic young talent.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kane is worth his money but hes a twit like red mentioned.  He is a fantastic young talent.  

[/QUOTE]

Great skill set mixed in with some questionable decision making. I love watching him when he's on his game. I hope he becomes as good a player as he's capable of but I'm doubting it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If the Weinerpiggers trade Kane, does that mean the Bruins started something by dealing Seguin?  (side note - is it now okay to refer to him as Tyler Sequins?)

Would that be the beginning of a trade trend where underperforming young players with not just high draft pedigree but evidence on the ice of impact player talents, who also have a history of off-ice issues or JT Superstar syndrome get dealt for solid pros?  As in, would it be the beginning of teams cutting bait with their young stars who need a wake up call?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Weinerpiggers trade Kane, does that mean the Bruins started something by dealing Seguin?  (side note - is it now okay to refer to him as Tyler Sequins?)

Would that be the beginning of a trade trend where underperforming young players with not just high draft pedigree but evidence on the ice of impact player talents, who also have a history of off-ice issues or JT Superstar syndrome get dealt for solid pros?  As in, would it be the beginning of teams cutting bait with their young stars who need a wake up call?

[/QUOTE]

I think that at least the idea of the team who gets the best player winning every trade is now out the window. In a cap world, the team that becomes the most improved is the one that wins the trades. Are the Bruins better with Loui, Smith, etc., and cap space for other important pieces than they are with Seguin and Pev? Are the NYRs better with Nash and his cap hit than they could be with Dubi, Anisimov, Erixson, and prospects? Sometimes you have to deal a great piece for 2 good ones and it can work. It doesn't always but it can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that at least the idea of the team who gets the best player winning every trade is now out the window. In a cap world, the team that becomes the most improved is the one that wins the trades. Are the Bruins better with Loui, Smith, etc., and cap space for other important pieces than they are with Seguin and Pev? Are the NYRs better with Nash and his cap hit than they could be with Dubi, Anisimov, Erixson, and prospects? Sometimes you have to deal a great piece for 2 good ones and it can work. It doesn't always but it can.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree. Actually I think it might be more often than not whoever gets the best player loses the trade. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Boy i wish the Rags could have a mulligan on that trade, Nash has been very underwhelming considering what they gave up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Boy i wish the Rags could have a mulligan on that trade, Nash has been very underwhelming considering what they gave up.

[/QUOTE]

i said it at the time and i'll say it again. that was one of those rare instances when both teams were dramatic losers. jackets didn't get enough, and the rangers destroyed their team identity. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't think Kane's remotely close to a fit in Boston.  I partially agree with the thought that some potential will get moved, but we need to remember it's happenned a lot in the past. These great picks that everyones been in the sky about the last 4 years, are incredibly over rated.  There are tons of future stars picked high in the first round who have average NHL careers, and several who don't even land a legitimate job in the league.  If you look at the heart and soul of the Bruins...who many high first rounders make that up?

Hope sells, and NHL teams are better marketers than they used to be.  That's a dual edged sword though, so it seems like bigger news today when these guys get moved.  It's all about value now, and some can't get that.  If player A is scoring 25 in an entry level situation, he's a steal...warts and all.  At around 6 mil though, the 25 isn't that big a deal, and all of a sudden, the warts are terminal.  Same basic player, just different economics.  In a non cap world, those things didn't matter(except in Boston), teams just added, there was no subtraction.

The key seems to be exactly what PC did.  Sign the kid, and do a deal while the sizzle is still there based on the ELC.  Boston got proven assets for potential.  No question there's risk, there always is, but now Seguins got to play like 6 mil, and he'll be compared to 6 mil players, not other rookies.

As much as these businesses have smartened up from a marketing perspective, they're still learning in their ability to figure out "team".  The whole idea of "best player" is out the window now, and that's not even considering "trades".  That's fairly new, and JJ's Bruins may have driven that point home in 2011.

If winning is everything(and it isn't in the hockey business), it's much more than probable, that Pittsburgh could improve dramatically through the pieces they could demand for Crosby and Malkin.  I doubt teams are there yet, but unless the cap goes up quite steadily, we may see more of that type of thing in the future. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If player A is scoring 25 in an entry level situation, he's a steal...warts and all.  At around 6 mil though, the 25 isn't that big a deal, and all of a sudden, the warts are terminal.  Same basic player, just different economics.  In a non cap world, those things didn't matter(except in Boston), teams just added, there was no subtraction.

The key seems to be exactly what PC did.  Sign the kid, and do a deal while the sizzle is still there based on the ELC.  Boston got proven assets for potential.  No question there's risk, there always is, but now Seguins got to play like 6 mil, and he'll be compared to 6 mil players, not other rookies.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting take there Stevegm. I agree, "value" is a concept that other teams in New England have been espousing for years now. Sometimes it works but its a delicate balance. If you have a team full of "value" and not enough excellence though, you wind up with a mediocre team.

I think Boston's balancing act is a real tribute to PC and his ability to create depth with youth in creative ways (i.e. Krug) but also sign "system players" that provide a great bang for the buck (i.e. Paille & Campbell). I think shying away from putting all of your eggs in one or two baskets also decreases the impact of injury as well.

I'd much rather have the Bruins roster than the Penguins... I hope that doesn't sound TOO homerish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/28/report-tension-between-jets-and-evander-kane/

If it is true, I tend to believe McKenzie, then I would want PC to pursue. Savard supposedly had an attitude problem but played well under Julien. With Bartkowski, Fraser, Morrow and all of Boston's draft picks at hand. I would put a package together for that type of talent.

"There’s tension and people can’t figure out fully whether it’s that Evander does not really like it in Winnipeg or with the Jets? Are the coaches unhappy with him, how has he fit in with the team"

What have the Jets done to get more talent around Kane ?

Nothing!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Did I miss something? Is Evander Kane on the trading block?

How is Boychuks value sky high right now? Why is he more valuable now than he was 3 weeks ago?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

dez, you know how I feel about the idea of "winning" a trade.  Stupid idea, now at least.  No one has to be a loser, and there's no guarantee anyone actually wins.  Plenty of trades get made where neither team sees any significant results based on the assets that move.  It's a way of looking at deals that suits the talking heads and beat reporters, but it's not a real thing.  That said, your point makes sense, especially for a team in the Bruins' situation: contender, close to the ceiling, and already with 2 or more franchise cornerstones (genuine #1D and/or #1G and/or #1C and/or top ten scorer and/or perennial Selke/Lady Byng/Messier contender and/or unique, high value player).  A team like may actually see more team improvement from becoming incrementally better or by creating a better mix in the lineup than it would by having another potential cornerstone-type player, and it may make it easier to keep the team together because of it.

That might be the difference with Kane.  They genuinely need a player like the one Kane is supposed to be.  Little might be evolving into a cornerstone-type player, but Wheeler? (why has this not come up in all of the discussions of Stanley's crushes?) Wheeler is playing like the Blake Wheeler of old - a 17 goal 50 point guy not the 30+ goal and 70+ point guy he played like last year.  The Kessellites where more right about Phil than Stanley was about Wheeler.  Byfuglien is a good D, Bogosian is a good D - are either cornerstones yet?  Will Schiefele get there?  Trouba?

For a struggling team like Dallas or Winnipeg that needs a high-value core piece to lead them out of the wilderness, consolidating the value of several good players and prospects in one player might make sense.  You may not win until you have both that core player and good players around him, but it's a lot harder to find that core players than the support guys.  If you already have your core players, it makes sense to diversify the value of a young potential star to upgrade your roster and address potential weaknesses.  That's the Pittsburgh dilemma.  They actually need a Seguin so they can trade him.  They have two, maybe three cornerstone pieces (Crosby, Malkin and Letang), but the cast aroudn them just isn't strong enough.  Trading one of those three, though, might not carry them over the hump - the step back might just be too big.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As I clicked on this, I said out loud, "This is going to suck."

It does.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it sure does suck and i would regret even looking at this thread except for Book referring the nice Manitobans as Weinerpiggers. For some reason this cracks me up :P