Is Cam a Figurehead - answer bye Kevin Dupont

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Is Cam a Figurehead - answer bye Kevin Dupont

Q: Is Cam Neely just a figurehead ? That question ALWAYS comes up on the boards. It’s either, Cam is a figurehead. Or Cam reports to the owner. Can you help clarify Cam’s position? --

KPD: No, Cam is far more than a figurehead as president, but to date GM Peter Chiarelli has far more influence on roster composition and day-to-day operations.

The GM job requires a huge work commitment, much of it not the kind of work Neely is versed in or would enjoy. Frankly, it’s a lot of paperwork and people management. Cam’s skill is more on identifying players and further developing the model of the kind of player the Bruins want to employ. I think Charelli and Neely co-exist together quite well.

Now, could the day come when Neely, as team president, overrules Chiarelli on a very important issue, acquisition or trade? Yes. And that could present a problem. That’s not to say it’s inevitable, but it is possible, and that’s another reason never to leave Boston.com.

I've seen this question asked on the boards more than once, and I have always have had my thoughts, and so I asked someone else who might know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Is Cam a Figurehead - answer bye Kevin Dupont

Every time I see someone asking this my response is always the same. What a stupid quesion...Name me one "figurehead" in pro sports who has the title Team President. You don't make the team President a figurehead. You have him make the rounds in the luxury boxes, woo coorperate big wigs etc..Figureheads don't have final say in personnel of multi million dollar enterprises.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My favorite is the people who "know" he is just a figurehead, and put it on the others to prove he's not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Good job, Stuke50.  That clears it up a little bit, but not a whole lot.  KDP's answer is a bit vague.  Not surprising.  I'm sure that Cam's position is difficult to sum up in a couple of paragraphs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how the f*** would kpd know anything about what cam's role is? he's a reporter for a news paper! he does not sit in on the meetings where decisions are made within the organization. he only knows what is told to the public during press conferences. might as well ask someone in this forum. the truth of the matter is that only people that know the dynamics between jacobs/cam/chia/clode ARE jacobs/cam/chia/and clode. he's a sports writer, and not a very good one in my opinion. his word is not gospel, he has opinions, just like everyone else on this forum.-watch me get investigated and banned from this forum for saying this!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

For the record...in my opinion, Cam never was a figurehead. But many on these boards do think that. A few times now this winter that question has being posted here, that Cam is just a figurehead.  I just wanted somone else, besides folks on the boards here to give a quote....As I'm stuck way out in Western Canada, I just thought I would ask a person who is closer to the Bruin orginization than anyone I've seen to date....I thought there would be someone out there who doesn't care for KPD, but I decieded to ask him anyway, and post it here....Love Cam and his contributions to our team.  go bruins go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Interesting to hear a pseudo-insider's opinion on it. Thanks for making the effort. I wouldn't even mind it if he was a figurehead because he's just about the best possible option even for that role, but it's interesting to hear the "official" take on the whole situation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In Response to Re: Is Cam a Figurehead - answer bye Kevin Dupont:
    [QUOTE]how the f*** would kpd know anything about what cam's role is? he's a reporter for a news paper! he does not sit in on the meetings where decisions are made within the organization. he only knows what is told to the public during press conferences. might as well ask someone in this forum. the truth of the matter is that only people that know the dynamics between jacobs/cam/chia/clode ARE jacobs/cam/chia/and clode. he's a sports writer, and not a very good one in my opinion. his word is not gospel, he has opinions, just like everyone else on this forum.-watch me get investigated and banned from this forum for saying this!!
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    If a journalist is not able to read between the lines and dig up more info than the regular guy might get, he's got the wrong job. Besides: I think there are loads of sportswriters out there who are a lot worse than KPD, who seems to be some people's favorite whipping boy because they don't like his kind/style of writing. I guess those folks have never been exposed to the tendentious journalism that is pretty common in England and Germany, for instance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

KDP may know the truth, more than likely he was just using the comment as a sounding board for more attention on his "Fluto" attempt at having a mailbag.  At least he is answering questions, personally that was satisfactory.   He also did not use flowery vernacular on something as nebulous as Cam's role on the management team.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sizzled. Show Sizzled's posts

The people who say Cam is a figurehead have an unhealthy crush on him really.

GOD forbid if Cam has influence on the team and they do NOT succeed!!??

Let's face it, it's a competitive tough business for all 30+ teams...even Cam Neely can't magically take a leadership role and win Cups left and right.

....I figure that KPD was spot on with his assessment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In Response to Is Cam a Figurehead - answer bye Kevin Dupont:
    [QUOTE][b]Now, could the day come when Neely, as team president, overrules Chiarelli on a very important issue, acquisition or trade? Yes. And that could present a problem. That’s not to say it’s inevitable, but it is possible,[/b] and that’s another reason never to leave Boston.com.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]
    The way that I read that, Cam does NOT have the authority to fire Chiarelli, as some posters here seem to think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

who cares who's a "figurehead"? i don't care if they all are, as long as they assemble a team that's capable of winning the cup? i think they've done that...let's go b's... posters trying to know the unknowable- funny, if your really that interested in this dynamic, buy an nhl team, it's the only way you'll find out.   

13. This post has been removed.